Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cable Guy posted:

You don't do arson with thirty people in the building...

So... No.

"he had been told an accident happened" not "saw an accident happen"

Also, if you're looking at getting thrown in jail for breaching your EPA license and you figure "eh they'll probably get out" and you're an amoral piece of poo poo which is causal to you running a factory that had its license to process toxic waste suspended, then yeah, I could absolutely see someone putting a match to this place.

Yes, I am absolutely ready to assume the worst of my fellow man and if you're not can I enter into evidence *gestures around in an effort to encompass everything*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
So you're saying when I burn down my lovely illegal business, it's best to do it with the workers still inside? That way, it's proof I didn't do it?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Means you get a twofer on hiding the evidence and disposing of witnesses.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Jabor posted:

Means you get a twofer on hiding the evidence and disposing of witnesses.

Get the trifecta of not having to pay all those overdue wages to your staff.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
that massive fire in footscray a month or two ago was a disused factory illegally filled with chemicals a demolisher was too cheap to pay to destroy properly

i wouldnt be surprised if this dude was running some similar scam

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Segmentation Fox posted:

Whatever happened to the chainsaw juggler?

I think that question answers itself.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I wouldn't worry about 'im, 'e's 'armless!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Sticky Date posted:

I know there are upstream warnings too, but those traffic light warnings are worthless, look how late they come on. They should be like hey you truck holy gently caress slow down you dumb fucker

I believe the speed limit at that point is something like 25mph so you have to already be violating the law by a wide margin to not allow time for those warnings to trigger. Not to mention all the static warnings before it...

There is also a pedestrian crossing like 100 ft before that intersection so that is an area you are supposed to be driving through very carefully.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I'm surprised the bridge doesn't have some kind of permanent structural deformation after being hit that many times.

Here's a pic someone recently took of the crash beam.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sticky Date posted:

I know there are upstream warnings too, but those traffic light warnings are worthless, look how late they come on. They should be like hey you truck holy gently caress slow down you dumb fucker
Like clockwork.

Cable Guy posted:

You don't do arson with thirty people in the building...
I wish I lived in your world

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Nocheez posted:

loving lol

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nocheez posted:

You just turn it around once a month so it'll straighten out.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Necrosaro posted:

The 11foot8 bridge has a new victim. A tractor trailer, no less! The typical clearance for a trailer like that is 13'6" so this driver was a real rear end in a top hat running the light and under that bridge at full speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvxDhgDjVCA

I was rooting for the driver, he almost made it all the way.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Nenonen posted:

You just turn it around once a month so it'll straighten out.

This is literally what I do with the bollards in the alley behind my building. It actually works! My apprentice painted this yesterday, but all the scars from the paint being scraped off and repainted so many times before are visible.

e: It took a major impact about 18 months ago and cracked the whole alley slab but it straightened it back out, mostly. lol

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nocheez posted:

They should put a wedge on it so it can-openers better and experiences less force.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
If you made it out of some absurdly strong material with a sharp edge it could just take the top off the truck and let them go on their merry way without even noticing, plus you get a free truck top. Everyone knows the top is the best part

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

madeintaipei posted:

I know a guy like that, too. There must be some kind of brotherhood of vigilante tree clear-ers. My guy swears he does it because his name is Woody. Who am I to argue.

There is a brotherhood. We have meetings and everything.

Seriously though, in my case, half of the people in my area were loggers while I was in High School. I learned from them how to run a saw and how to be safe. I used to carry a chainsaw in my trunk to take care of blowdowns that would block the road.

Once you learn that you can't control where the tree is going to go, you know to not do something stupid. Trees have twist in them. Sometimes they snap back and hit you. Always watch for that. Always keep your wrist against the chain break if you're worried. Wear safety gear.

I wish I had video of my dad messing himself up limbing a white pine with a chainsaw just like in the tree falling videos. He decided to get on an aluminum ladder and saw through a limb that had twist to it. It sprung back, hit the ladder, then his leg, as he went down. It was only 8 feet but he's a 70 year old man. I told him not to do it and to start at the end and work in but he didn't listen. I knew it had twist, but he was being curmudgeonly. He's fine, but his leg did not look pretty from the skin removal. It healed fine.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I have learned you should never tell an old man not to do something, it just makes them want to do it more.

Your best bet is to just start doing whatever it is before they can start.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Guyver posted:

I have learned you should never tell an old man not to do something, it just makes them want to do it more.

Your best bet is to just start doing whatever it is before they can start.

God if that isn't the truth. My dad was dying of cancer, and the day before he went into hospice care (roughly 5 days before he died) he was still trying to get up on a small ladder to replace a burnt out bulb in the garage door opener. It was so hard to get him to realize how dangerous it was for his body which had become so frail :smith:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Nocheez posted:

God if that isn't the truth. My dad was dying of cancer, and the day before he went into hospice care (roughly 5 days before he died) he was still trying to get up on a small ladder to replace a burnt out bulb in the garage door opener. It was so hard to get him to realize how dangerous it was for his body which had become so frail :smith:

I'd rather die from falling off a ladder when I'm old and frail than in a bed.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

one leads to the other, only with extra pain

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

this kills the cab

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/planet4589/status/1113977892843741185

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

xergm posted:

For contrast:
Some Marines thought it would better for their harrier to land on a bunch of mattresses instead of a belly landing. It wasn't.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit huffing duster!

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Rad-daddio posted:

this kills the cab
well he certainly got decabitated

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

glynnenstein posted:

This is literally what I do with the bollards in the alley behind my building. It actually works! My apprentice painted this yesterday, but all the scars from the paint being scraped off and repainted so many times before are visible.

e: It took a major impact about 18 months ago and cracked the whole alley slab but it straightened it back out, mostly. lol

I used to work at a Walgreens. They had one of those propane exchanges outside where you bring in your empty propane tank and exchange it for a filled one. They didn't have bollards around it.

Surprisingly, there was only one incident in five years, that I knew of, where someone slammed into. I was on break in my car only fifteen feet away. The slam was so loud my boss heard it in the office on the other side of the store.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Rad-daddio posted:

this kills the cab

This cabs the van.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sticky Date posted:

It comes on a little over 4 seconds before impact so if he was traveling at 45mph he had about 300 feet, a full football field, to come to a stop or turn down the side streets.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

wesleywillis posted:

There's no guarantee the fall from the ladder is going to kill you. You might just be in extra pain while your body slowly fails itself.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Necrosaro posted:

The 11foot8 bridge has a new victim. A tractor trailer, no less! The typical clearance for a trailer like that is 13'6" so this driver was a real rear end in a top hat running the light and under that bridge at full speed.

I love that the tow truck for that is lit up like an untruckfuckling angel of the lord.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of falling off ladders:

"Use safe climbing material"

"I can reach it, I can reach it... I can't reach it"

"Even if you can find a ladder quickly, a box does the trick too... Or not!"

"Secure your ladders"

"Work around rotating shafts, belts and axles is always dangerous!"

"Make sure that scaffolding boards are safe"

"Use safety harnesses"

"A safety harness would have saved him!"

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Necrosaro posted:

Honestly the sign should just say "Truckfuckler parking here". I realize there's probaly no other crossing for miles but if I were a local I would probably just try a different route as there's a 50% chance that there is a truck wedged under there at any time

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Whooping Crabs posted:

Honestly the sign should just say "Truckfuckler parking here". I realize there's probaly no other crossing for miles but if I were a local I would probably just try a different route as there's a 50% chance that there is a truck wedged under there at any time
The last time The Can Opener™ came up here, someone showed a map of the area showing that there's actually plenty of ways to get around this particular intersection that don't involve going under anything, so it's 100% stupid people incapable of reading signs/paying attention to the road/formulating any detour/not following their GPS like a lemming/etc.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The problem isn't stopping distance, it's that drivers either don't see it or don't think it's referring to them or something. It's why Australia has had to resort to putting up water curtains that literally project stop signs across the road: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoTMC-uxJoo

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Necrosaro posted:

I was hoping the rig would just drive forward again after being hooked back up at the end

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Yawgmoth posted:

The last time The Can Opener™ came up here, someone showed a map of the area showing that there's actually plenty of ways to get around this particular intersection that don't involve going under anything, so it's 100% stupid people incapable of reading signs/paying attention to the road/formulating any detour/not following their GPS like a lemming/etc.

The Can Opener™ orders you to cease and desist fraudulently using its trademark.

https://www.courier-journal.com/pic...lide:3295674002

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My father in law, 57, died of a heart attack some months after recovering from a triple bypass and stage 4 colon cancer.

He was digging postholes when he died.

On the one hand, I salute him for living the way he wanted to live. He would absolutely rather have died than sit in a recliner looking out the window at a project that he wasn't allowed to do.

On the other hand, he never got to meet his first and only grandbaby, that he was looking forward to, so you pays your money and you takes your choice.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

About 10 years ago I had to meet a tow truck driver about a truck that had gotten it's top ripped off. The guy thought I was nuts because I was laughing my rear end off the entire time.

I then explained that my boss had been driving the truck. Also that my boss was my dad. Then we both had a good laugh.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Nocheez posted:

lmao thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Yawgmoth posted:

I used to live on Long Island, and would frequently have to drive on the parkways there. They were specifically designed with lower than normal bridges to keep buses off the highway (because Robert Moses was apparently a huge racist who wanted to keep those "urban" types off his beaches) and there are big "No Trucks" signs at every entrance. Despite that, at least once a month there would be a truck wedged under a bridge, and a guy with a low flatbed and a forklift transferring the cargo out of it. Once in a while they'd actually stop before the bridge, and you'd see them parked on the shoulder pondering their next move.

I did always wonder if they didn't see the signs, or if they figured it was just something they'd get a ticket for.