Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
How much did you spend on tolls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
the trip after this upcoming one looks like it's gonna be akita, aomori, and maybe iwate, so i'll have lots of driving to do in uh...2021 i guess

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Less than last time. About 18000 yen

Kulex
Apr 4, 2007

A shpectre is haunting Europe - the shpectre of Shlavoj Zizek... and so on and so on.
Japan thread: What's some good poo poo to go see and do in Osaka?

Things I did last time in Osaka:

• Go to Universal
  • Visited the housing museum
  • Hit up Shittenoji, Tenmangu, Osaka Castle
  • Had a disappointing meal in a hotel in Umeda
  • Evenings in Dotonbori
  • Strolled through Den Den Town at night
  • Got drunk in a speakeasy on the eve of my birthday because the mixologist kept giving me free shots inbetween drinks
  • Consequently puked just outside of Shittenojimaeyuhigaoka station

And in my upcoming trip I will probably:
  • Hit up Shittenoji again (going with some first timers) and see some different Temples/Shrines
  • Spend some time in Namba
  • Check out Shinsekai
  • Aqauarium

I will be travelling with a friend and my 16yo nephew.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

go to Nara

ps. what month/season??? BASEBALL started and there are crazygood festivals in August and October.

Kulex
Apr 4, 2007

A shpectre is haunting Europe - the shpectre of Shlavoj Zizek... and so on and so on.

peanut posted:

go to Nara

Already been.

But the big buddha building was closed by the time I got around it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Go for your nephew's sake!!!;

Kulex
Apr 4, 2007

peanut posted:

Go for your nephew's sake!!!;

Yeah, ok! Fine! It will probably be good. Might get to watch two deer fighting again.

EDIT: Right, I should mention I'll be in Osaka around mid August followed by a few days in Kyoto and all sandwiched by Tokyo.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

gently caress dude , look up Kishiwada danjiri festival.

EDIT: Looks like Kishiwada is in September??!! Autumn festivals are more crazy but summer dance festivals are great too!
Check day trips to Awa-odori in Tokushima.

Kyoto burns the big letters on August 16th...

peanut fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 4, 2019

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Kulex posted:

Japan thread: What's some good poo poo to go see and do in Osaka?

Things I did last time in Osaka:

• Go to Universal
  • Visited the housing museum
  • Hit up Shittenoji, Tenmangu, Osaka Castle
  • Had a disappointing meal in a hotel in Umeda
  • Evenings in Dotonbori
  • Strolled through Den Den Town at night
  • Got drunk in a speakeasy on the eve of my birthday because the mixologist kept giving me free shots inbetween drinks
  • Consequently puked just outside of Shittenojimaeyuhigaoka station

And in my upcoming trip I will probably:
  • Hit up Shittenoji again (going with some first timers) and see some different Temples/Shrines
  • Spend some time in Namba
  • Check out Shinsekai
  • Aqauarium

I will be travelling with a friend and my 16yo nephew.

I hear there’s a young danish girl that needs consoling...

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
get to that drat aquarium

also the mall by the aquarium has a nice little retro showa area that's fun

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Just booked a baseball game ticket. Approximately what level of public inebriation is expected for baseball games in Japan?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh man I totally need to hit up Shinsekai when I’m in Osaka.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ntan1 posted:

Less than last time. About 18000 yen

That’s... not bad.

I’m thinking about renting a car in May, but all of a sudden I have anxiety about it despite the fact that I was plotting out how to do a track day after the first time I went in 2015.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Welp, she's decided to waste 2000 bucks and the Tokyo part of our vacation and is going back next week...

So.... any goon (who wont shank me in a dark alley) in Tokyo feels like going to Disney World and Sea with me 2 weeks from now?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Archer666 posted:

Welp, she's decided to waste 2000 bucks and the Tokyo part of our vacation and is going back next week...

So.... any goon (who wont shank me in a dark alley) in Tokyo feels like going to Disney World and Sea with me 2 weeks from now?

...what timeframe and do you mind a dorky 55 year old coming too

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Archer666 posted:

It’s probably for the best. Rip off the band aid now and have the spike of resentment versus it slowly building over the next 25 days as you have to bargain over every last detail and walk on eggshells.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

...what timeframe and do you mind a dorky 55 year old coming too

I'll let you know when my other Tokyo friends can't make it. Its all kind of in the air right now...

Phone posted:

It’s probably for the best. Rip off the band aid now and have the spike of resentment versus it slowly building over the next 25 days as you have to bargain over every last detail and walk on eggshells.

Yeah, you're right. I gave her all the reasons why its a bad idea, suggested things like the tour guide idea and just getting her out among the Osaka people more. (We're going to a retro bar tomorrow, for example). But she was pretty adamant about this, so what can I do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Though she did agree to take some of the poo poo I bought with her back, so I can get some use out of her as a mule for dumb anime poo poo.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Archer666 posted:

Hahaha wow, this was a funny series of posts. Oh well, good to get wet blankets out of your life sooner rather than later!

Unrelated: my partner and I were wondering that, since buying a Studio Ghibli ticket through Lawson's website sounds only slightly better than torture, are there any Japan goons who would be willing to purchase a pair of them for me, and then ship them to us? You'll obviously be compensated for the effort!

Slightly related to that: if any Japan goons wanna meet up for a night of shenanigans while we're in Tokyo(5/8-5/14) we should figure something out!

I think we're missing you, Pollyanna, by like a week? Boston goon meetup in Japan just wasn't meant to be... :sigh:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Holler if you’re in Shibuya. I know all the best places to stand on the street and get drunk.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Archer666 posted:

I'll let you know when my other Tokyo friends can't make it. Its all kind of in the air right now...

No worries, my family is from Florida so we’re all Disney’d out over the years anyway. :v:

Johnny Truant posted:

Slightly related to that: if any Japan goons wanna meet up for a night of shenanigans while we're in Tokyo(5/8-5/14) we should figure something out!

I think we're missing you, Pollyanna, by like a week? Boston goon meetup in Japan just wasn't meant to be... :sigh:

Yeah, we’re 4/13ish~4/26ish. Tokyo 13~18, Hakone 19, Kyoto 20~23, Osaka 24~26. Sucks, but there’s always beantown :v:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 4, 2019

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Instead of going to the Ghibli museum just visit the bird cafe across the street.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

Archer666 posted:

Lol this is very funny

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

As someone who barely ever leaves the warm embrace of Shibuya-ku and Minato-ku without specific reason, what's so cool about shinsekai?

d0s posted:

there's an arcade with a vast collection of titty mahjong games in shinsekai

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Went to Ghibli yesterday and I have to say all the hassle was ... yeah worth it. Assuming you love Ghibli that is. If you’re only mildly interested it probably wouldn’t be but my me and my wife and her friend really lived it. It was crowded sure but since they limit the tickets it wasn’t obscenely so. And the weather was gorgeous.
Also haha we very nearly went in that bird cafe too.

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, we’re 4/13ish~4/26ish. Tokyo 13~18, Hakone 19, Kyoto 20~23, Osaka 24~26. Sucks, but there’s always beantown :v:

We’re leaving Tokyo next week so missing you by a couple days but wow you guys are from Boston too? We should have a Boston goon meet when we’re all back.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Johnny Truant posted:

Hahaha wow, this was a funny series of posts. Oh well, good to get wet blankets out of your life sooner rather than later!

Yeah seriously. If she can't handle Japan of all places she should just not travel ever, she'll be happier.

There was a white South African teacher in my town in Korea who was very popular right off because she was insanely hot, but would get drunk and say the most racist poo poo I have ever heard in person. She flamed out and went home after a month because there were "too many Orientals" in Korea.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

"too many Orientals" in Korea.

What the hell, did she come from 1919 instead of 2019?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

Went to Ghibli yesterday and I have to say all the hassle was ... yeah worth it. Assuming you love Ghibli that is. If you’re only mildly interested it probably wouldn’t be but my me and my wife and her friend really lived it. It was crowded sure but since they limit the tickets it wasn’t obscenely so. And the weather was gorgeous.
Also haha we very nearly went in that bird cafe too.

We’re leaving Tokyo next week so missing you by a couple days but wow you guys are from Boston too? We should have a Boston goon meet when we’re all back.

Fuuuuuuck, well if no goons do me a favour(:wink:) looks like I'll slog through Lawson's website with that effortpost printed out next to me, ha.

But yeah, Pollyanna and I are both from Boston! We should def meet up. Do you pay in the LAN topic? We shitpost all day long, come join in our sufferingslibations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I guess a week in Japan would have been a better start for that person, rather than to plan a full month and then bail.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Archer666 posted:

The best part will be on the morning of the return flight, when she realizes how dumb she is

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
The best part will be when all her friends ask her "how was Japan!? You're so lucky, I've always wanted to go but haven't had a chance yet"

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Fuuuuuuck, well if no goons do me a favour(:wink:) looks like I'll slog through Lawson's website with that effortpost printed out next to me, ha.

I don’t know what part of the Japanese process made it look any easier or any less of a pain in the rear end of a lottery for people in Japan to get Ghibli tickets. I know people who have tried for three or four months in a row and kept striking out. It’s really difficult and only might get better when the theme park opens up.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Phone posted:

That’s... not bad.

I forgot to mention why.

So I rented a car in Osaka, and used the Sanin Shikoku Setouchi pass for the areas west of Kobe, since I was driving all the way down to pretty much Kitakyushu after doing a circle through Mie prefecture. The total cost of the pass was 10,000 yen, and it only theoretically works west of Kobe.

However, the way tolls in Japan are calculated, they depend pretty much on the entry point and exit point of the toll location. In theory, they are supposed to take the portion that is not within the toll area and make me pay for it. So for example, if the cost from Osaka to Okayama is 5500 yen, they should take the part from Osaka to Kobe, which is about 1500 yen, and then make pay for it, while the other 4000 is contained as part of the pass.

However, this becomes more difficult as with an ETC (machine readable) card, there are time of day discounts and weekend discounts that factor into the price.

So basically, the rental car guy gave up, and just assumed anything that had a beginning point or an end point in the area was just part of the pass and only charged me an extra 8000, when it should have been like 14,000.

PS: without usage of the pass the trip would have been 33,000 yen of tolls.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Furious Lobster posted:

I think my point is why there a discrepancy between what the foreign, ie Western, world has deemed as the best restaurants and those that the local have put on top. Moreover, in light of this, given a tourists’ limited time should one go with local or foreign advice?

It basically comes down access. There's roughly twelve zillion restaurants in Tokyo, and even locals who've lived here their entire lives only manage to go through a small percentage of them. Tourists, with their limited time and Japanese ability simply don't have access to enough information so they just have to latch on to whatever's been reviewed on Tripadvisor or whatever. Tabelog has way better information, although the ratings are pretty arbitrary. Also, if any of y'all that can read Japanese wanna check out some top shelf material from the batshit insane genre I highly recommend you read some of the kuchikomi on tabelog.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

TheEye posted:

How to buy Ghibli Museum tickets online from Lawson, based on my experience in February (warning, it's a complete shitshow):

Preparing for the sale:
First, figure out the starting date and time of the sale for the tickets you want. Tickets for any given month go on sale at 10am JST on the 10th of the previous month. So, for all tickets in March, the sale date is February 10th at 10am in Japan, which may be, if you're in many other parts of the world, February 9th for you.

Make sure you're sitting at your computer when the sale starts. For better results, have friends or family trying to get tickets for you at the same time. Tell them the date/time you're going for (10am/12pm/2pm/4pm are available for every day the museum is open; it's closed on Tuesdays). Also have the address of your hotel, your passport number, and your credit card handy. Block off an hour of time for the ticket-buying process, and get ready for extreme frustration. No joke, it took me 55 minutes to get my tickets.

Open your browser(s) to https://l-tike.com/st1/ghibli-en/sitetop and scroll to the month listings at the bottom. Note your month that is "Not Yet On Sale". Good idea: Hit F12 on your browser and open the network tab. The ticket-buying process involves a lot of web requests behind the scenes, and most of them can fail silently, so watch this tab for errors. This way, you know when to start over, instead of wasting time waiting for something that will never load.

When the sale starts:
Refresh the page you've been sitting on. You'll probably get errors for quite a while before it actually loads. When it does load, click the now-differently-colored button next to your month to load the calendar screen. You'll probably get even more errors trying to do this.

Once it does load, bookmark the page, and come back to it directly whenever you get an error, instead of going back to the first page. You'll notice on the calendar that each date and time has a symbol showing how many tickets are remaining. Note that if it looks like your time sold out, that may not actually be the case. When I bought my tickets, my time showed as sold out in one browser and available in another.

Click the time you want, and if it works, you'll get a pop-up with one "Admission" button to click on. If that button works, you'll be able to select the number of tickets you want per age group. At the bottom of the pop-up is another button that will take you to a different site to complete the ordering process. By the way, all three of these buttons can and will constantly fail to load. Watch your network tab, and reload the calendar via your bookmark every time it happens. It took me a half hour of attempts before the redirect to the other site worked.

Once the other site loads, you have more screens to go through to create a login and enter your contact information. Don't worry, these screens can also fail to load, and if they do, you're back to square one from your calendar bookmark again.

If you manage to get all the way to the end, you can finally enter your payment and print out your confirmation. Warning: The museum staff will make sure that the name and passport number on your confirmation match your actual passport (that I sure hope you brought with you to the museum). Make sure you don't screw those up.

Congrats! You made it through what may be the most frustrating online ticketing system in the world!

Sorry for the delay, what forums upgrade do you want?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

harperdc posted:

I don’t know what part of the Japanese process made it look any easier or any less of a pain in the rear end of a lottery for people in Japan to get Ghibli tickets. I know people who have tried for three or four months in a row and kept striking out. It’s really difficult and only might get better when the theme park opens up.

There are 9 times more tickets available on the Japan side. We got it on first try, but we were standing next to the Loppi machine right at 10 am. It still failed about three times, but we got our tickets.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ntan1 posted:

So basically, the rental car guy gave up, and just assumed anything that had a beginning point or an end point in the area was just part of the pass and only charged me an extra 8000, when it should have been like 14,000.

PS: without usage of the pass the trip would have been 33,000 yen of tolls.

This is the best taking advantage of the system I’ve seen in a good good long time. Excellent work.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Big festival in Kakegawa, Shizuoka this weekend (4/5-7)!

http://www.city.kakegawa.shizuoka.jp/kankou/event/mikumanomatsuri/index.html

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

The best part will be when all her friends ask her "how was Japan!? You're so lucky, I've always wanted to go but haven't had a chance yet"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Also, why is Takarazuka merch so goddamn expensive? I was at the Grand Theater yesterday (holy gently caress, it looked amazing and the size of it too) and the Quatre had blu rays for like 10k yen a piece. Are they printed on gold? Or the crushed dreams of girls who never got into Takarazuka Music School?