Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm pretty sure you get a free commander respec if you play a clam wars game, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
you get free respecs right now regardless

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Unlocked my first T10, the Midway. Next up, the Minotaur.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Let me just put this here. :downsgun:

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Ok I’ve finally got into this game for real and it’s a blast. Currently working my way down the UK battleship tree, just got into an Iron Duke.

I’m enjoying Battleshipping. Generally, I just sail round the outside until a brawl develops and then try to sail to somewhere I can shoot into it, but I had a couple of awesome battleship duels, one of which saw me wreck a Miyogi(?) with AP at point blank range and then just sail on to sink the carrier behind it. Game still good as of current patch.

Only downside is I live in Asia, and most games at this tier in my region are like 50%+ bot.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knjI37UKCPg
Yuro is back doing the robot voice videos

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Gwaihir posted:

NA BOATC GOONS IT'S FUCKIN CLAN WARS TIME AND I WANT SOME GOD DAMNED STEEL SO JOIN DISCORD OK???

Clan wars runs 7:30-11:30 eastern time, weds/thurs + sat/sun. You don't have to have T10 ships (although it's better). The rentals this season are Zao, which is fantastic, Grozovoi, and Conqueror

GUESS WHAT MPTHERFUCKERS, I AM ABOUT TO GET THE WOOSTER FOF CLAM WARS. ALL CAPS IS THE OFFICIAL FORMAT OF INSANE DPM.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I just got into this game over the weekend, and I have a couple questions

1. What’s the best way to spend my money? I bought the starter and the two 99 cent ships from steam. I was thinking the pack that’s a combo of Premium time and doubloons? Or is that a fools buy, and I should just forget progression and buy a premium ship?

2. Is there a good ship comparison/review site out there, so I know what cruiser I should be work towards/buying with cash? I’m floating around moving into t4 at the moment

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

1. What’s the best way to spend my money? I bought the starter and the two 99 cent ships from steam. I was thinking the pack that’s a combo of Premium time and doubloons? Or is that a fools buy, and I should just forget progression and buy a premium ship?

2. Is there a good ship comparison/review site out there, so I know what cruiser I should be work towards/buying with cash? I’m floating around moving into t4 at the moment

Okay. So you’re just starting out with the game. Don’t immediately buy a high tier premium ship because you’ll be miserable at tier 8 without more experience. You’ll also probably buy something you’ll never play more than a few games.

What you should do is play the low tier game a bit. You don’t really need premium at low tier, you’re more limited by your own skill than a need to grind up quickly. Try and figure out what you like to do in the game. Battleship gameplay is heavily determined by your situational and map awareness, since your guns rotate slowly and you’re very visible. Cruisers are fragile but can do a lot of damage, but will be deleted if you make a mistake. Destroyers are stealthy but fragile, and presently aren’t new person friendly due to planes.

Get onto the discord server and ask questions in chat and division with goons when you can. It’s not been super active with divisions lately but if you get into chat and ask you can probably get folks to help you out. Really most tech tree lines are good, with some exceptions:

Bad line:
German Battleships (except Gneisenau)

Newbie unfriendly lines:
Pan Asian destroyers
British destroyers
French cruisers
British cruisers

Velius fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 4, 2019

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Premium time is the most valuable thing for you especially right now. The increase in XP earned goes the farthest in terms of progressing through the lines.

For ship comparison and reviews, LittleWhiteMouse does a lot of stuff written on the official WoWs forums. Otherwise, on Youtube, Flamu has a lot of good ship reviews, and WhiskeysGamingLongue has some pretty good newbie-level guides for playing each ship.

For cruisers, the nutshell version:

USN Heavy (The Des Moines tree): Provide screening and spotting utility with radar at higher tiers. Heavy (and later Super Heavy) shells provide enhanced AP penetration and AP pen angles (ie, your AP will pen even at very odd angles). In general, with a couple exceptions (Buffalo), these ships tend to be impassable anchors - you post up in a spot and you are very, very difficult to root out.

USN Light (The Worcester tree): Provide screening and all kinds of utility with both radar and hydro. Extremely good AA. This line requires IFHE commander skill to really do damage with its HE, and the AP is very poor. Playstyle is generally island hopping and HE spamming.

British CL: These ships are AP only, however, the AP gets enhanced pen angles and short fuses which allow them to arm on almost all targets (making them very brutal to DDs). They get their own smoke screens, however this is to make up with their complete lack of armor. Seriously when you are uptiered you will run into destroyers that have more armor than you, except you also have a citadel. They get good torpedoes, VERY good once you get to Minotaur. Very tricky playstyle, but capable of very explosive plays that can take almost any ship from full health to dead extremely quickly when played right.

German: To varying degrees these are jack of all trades. The higher tier Germans have good armor for a cruiser and can do (a little bit of) brawling, against particular targets (not a Yamato for instance). Good HE thanks to German ships getting 1/4 HE pen instead of 1/6. German AP also does great damage, but get no enhanced pen angles. Decent torpedoes, solid guns, decent armor. They aren't bad at anything, but they don't excel in a specific way like the others.

Russian: Up until Moskva, they are long range HE spamming kiting ships. Generally very quick and very lightly armored. They need IFHE to do damage until Moskva. Moskva is totally different, basically more like a battle cruiser. Very tanky nose armor and deck, so you can play it bow in like a Battleship. Don't do this in anything below. No enhanced AP pen angles, but their guns have incredible velocity, very flat arcs, and are very accurate at long range.

French: Extremely fast, very lightly armored. These ships get speed boost. The entire line plays very well as a long range HE spamming kiting ship. To survive in French CAs requires you to learn the art of throttle jockeying: At range to a target, shifting between reverse/full/quarter speed at the right intervals to make it almost impossible to aim at you. With the speed boost active these changes in speed are very snappy and you can "tank" a done of damage without actually being hit. Don't get hit though, because they have armor only in theory. They also get "main battery relaod booster" which allows them to fire rapidly for a short period of time. Very useful to set fires on a ship that has just repaired so you know they will stick for the full duration. The T10, Henri IV, gets 240mm guns, which if paired with IFHE can pen the 50mm plating of high tier tanks like Stalingrad and Grosser Kurfurst.

Japanese: Very steathly, great torpedoes, and insanely accurate guns. Very high fire chance. They generally want to aggressively flank, set fires, and then disappear again to set up a new position. The T10 Zao's 12km torps can let you set up torp walls where people won't expect them.

Really any cruiser line has positives, and there's no really bad one to work toward. If you are aiming to go into clan wars/competitive, right now the Worcester and Henri are the most used T10 cruisers in those modes, although that could also change by the time you grind stuff so really, just play around with the lower tiers and pick the one that you think suits your playstyle the most.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Velius posted:

Okay. So you’re just starting out with the game. Don’t immediately buy a high tier premium ship because you’ll be miserable at tier 8 without more experience. You’ll also probably buy something you’ll never play more than a few games.

What you should do is play the low tier game a bit. You don’t really need premium at low tier, you’re more limited by your own skill than a need to grind up quickly. Try and figure out what you like to do in the game. Battleship gameplay is heavily determined by your situational and map awareness, since your guns rotate slowly and you’re very visible. Cruisers are fragile but can do a lot of damage, but will be deleted if you make a mistake. Destroyers are stealthy but fragile, and presently aren’t new person friendly due to planes.

Get onto the discord server and ask questions in chat and division with goons when you can. It’s not been super active with divisions lately but if you get into chat and ask you can probably get folks to help you out. Really most tech tree lines are good, with some exceptions:

Bad line:
German Battleships (except Gneisenau)

Newbie unfriendly lines:
Pan Asian destroyers
British destroyers
French cruisers
British cruisers

Gneisenau is terrible, what is wrong with you. It still has german accuracy, but instead of the 8 guns on bismark/tirpitz, you only get 6. So each straddling spread hurts more. And you are forced to play that game because it is either a tier 9 game, or it is a t7 game where the rest of your team just wants to snipe anyway.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

JuffoWup posted:

Gneisenau is terrible, what is wrong with you. It still has german accuracy, but instead of the 8 guns on bismark/tirpitz, you only get 6. So each straddling spread hurts more. And you are forced to play that game because it is either a tier 9 game, or it is a t7 game where the rest of your team just wants to snipe anyway.

German battleships are generally bad due to being “brawlers” while having huge visibility and slow speed, so they’re rarely able to actually get in close. Gneisenau at least is fast, with torps on top, so while inaccurate it can be in better positions to use the things it does well. I would never say Tirpitz or Bismarck is good in the current meta, for what it’s worth, because they just can’t reliably get to do what they’re supposed to be good at.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Thanks all, that was good info

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I'm new to clan wars, how does the scheduling work? Is it just one match per night?

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

Maksimus54 posted:

I'm new to clan wars, how does the scheduling work? Is it just one match per night?

Clan wars are open based on server (so NA is open from 23:30 GMT to 03:30 GMT Wed/Th/Sat/Sun). Your clan gets together 7 people and then you can play matches during the open period. You can play as many matches with your division as you can fit in during this time period.

edit: wrong days

Loky11 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 4, 2019

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

toadee posted:

A whole bunch of cruiser stuff.

As a side note to all of these, low tier (tier 5 and below) cruisers by and large play vastly differently to mid and high tier (6 and above), in no small part because most of the low tier cruisers are of a 'stick as many guns in as many places as possible' theory of warship construction. It's not until tier 6 that the nations all transition to multigun turrets, and as such overall ship construction changed and it's not until there that you really start to see what the nation is really like. So, if you start down one line, don't just leave it because the tier 3 or 4 sucks, as those are not usually good representations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Oh wow the Iron Duke is *hard*; something really is wrong with our bloody ships today.

Maybe it’s just the fact I tiered up but I was crushing it with the Orion, whereas with ID I’m getting between 1-5k damage per match if I’m lucky.

Specifically:

* My shots ricochet off everything I fire them at
* It’s way harder to even hit anything because the ranges are extreme; without the spotter plane, anyone who’s shooting at me is hard for me to reach
* I read about angling but I guess I’m not very good at it because I’m getting *wrecked*.

Long story short I’ve gone from top 1-3 of table each time to bottom every time. Any tips on how not to suck in Jellicoe’s baby?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Beefeater1980 posted:

Oh wow the Iron Duke is *hard*; something really is wrong with our bloody ships today.

Maybe it’s just the fact I tiered up but I was crushing it with the Orion, whereas with ID I’m getting between 1-5k damage per match if I’m lucky.

Specifically:

* It’s way harder to even hit anything because the ranges are extreme; without the spotter plane, anyone who’s shooting at me is hard for me to reach
* I read about angling but I guess I’m not very good at it because I’m getting *wrecked*.

Long story short I’ve gone from top 1-3 of table each time to bottom every time. Any tips on how not to suck in Jellicoe’s baby?

Tier 5 is hard because you’re up against tier 7’s quite often and your AP shells don’t always have the oomph to pen the thicker armor.

Get comfortable swapping between HE and AP and in general I try to aim for superstructure or less armored sections of the ship when going against higher tier ships (this will also be helpful when you start going down cruiser and destroyer lines). Stick with the RN BB’s. Iron Duke is a low point but the rest of the line is very strong and fun.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 4, 2019

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Specifically:

I had 15 games in the Duke with an average of 63000 damage, so it can put out good damage numbers when you get more comfortable with shooting...

...but I have 66500 in the Murmansk with 480 games so v0v

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 4, 2019

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Beefeater1980 posted:

Specifically:

Okay, so British battleship AP is specifically bad for penetration. It had a short arming time, so if it gets slowed by armor it won’t penetrate it and do damage. This makes it great for killing thinly armored cruisers but bad against battleships. I’m not sure if the Monarch has this issue, or if the tier 9/10 do either, but for the King George and earlier ships using HE all the time against battleships is typical.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sometimes lady luck is with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6soAH8720E

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Beefeater1980 posted:

Specifically:

In addition to what others have said, learning Warships is a long process of pendulum swings. You will make improvements, build confidence, and then that will lead to overextending or over relying on one thing in particular. Then you take a bunch of big losses until you make further adjustments, this cycle repeats endlessly, but you'll always be getting better.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I mean, the DD was very clearly there, that's basically how every Midway squatting on a DD encounter goes

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

toadee posted:

I mean, the DD was very clearly there, that's basically how every Midway squatting on a DD encounter goes

Yeah I mean it's not the most outrageous kill or anything, but I still got pretty lucky with RNG IMO.

Velius posted:

Okay, so British battleship AP is specifically bad for penetration. It had a short arming time, so if it gets slowed by armor it won’t penetrate it and do damage. This makes it great for killing thinly armored cruisers but bad against battleships. I’m not sure if the Monarch has this issue, or if the tier 9/10 do either, but for the King George and earlier ships using HE all the time against battleships is typical.

From the King George V onwards you can occasionally fire AP. I'd still rely on HE especially on longer ranges, but for instance the Lion has surprisingly good AP and can seriously punish ships regardless of range.

But yes, for lower tier British BBs, spam HE all day erry day.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 4, 2019

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah I mean it's not the most outrageous kill or anything, but I still got pretty lucky with RNG IMO.

From the King George V onwards you can occasionally fire AP. I'd still rely on HE especially on longer ranges, but for instance the Lion has surprisingly good AP and can seriously punish ships regardless of range.

But yes, for lower tier British BBs, spam HE all day erry day.

Yes this, AP to punish broadsiding cruisers who think "lol he noob" and then burn down BB's. (Also pump AP into them at close range, it's hilarious how many people will show full broadsides to a Conquerer at under 10km).

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Probably my best cv game yet. I feel like T6 is the best for cvs.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

In addition to what's already mentioned, the official wows wargaming wiki is actually pretty good at laying the ships out in a text format (good ol' pro/con lists) and throws in recommendations for captain skills, module layouts etc. If you look at premiums there's also a link to LittleWhiteMouse's thread in them (and occasionally someone else's review of it.)

toadee posted:

In addition to what others have said, learning Warships is a long process of pendulum swings. You will make improvements, build confidence, and then that will lead to overextending or over relying on one thing in particular. Then you take a bunch of big losses until you make further adjustments, this cycle repeats endlessly, but you'll always be getting better.

This. You will still be learning the game and the botes up to and after you've played a thousand battles. So whatever you do, have fun with it!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Beefeater1980 posted:

Specifically:

The main issue you are going to find with the Iron Duke is that its the same ship as the Orion, just now at tier 5. Everyone else improved, you didn't. But this is when you really start leaning into HE spam. Just load up HE and carve off huge chunks of health from things, not to mention breaking their poo poo and setting them on fire. Us AP if someone is under 10k and is giving you a nice broadside. Or you see a Nurnberg at any angle.
Also, don't be the first ship anyone sees. Be the first time someone knows you are there when you nail them with a bunch of HE. If you are only doing a little damage, you are dying too fast. If you do have AP loaded and are shooting at another BB, don't aim at the waterline, aim just below the deck and hope that you get some pens. They won't be citadels, but you'll hopefully do something.

I don't know if I could recommend the UK BB line all that much, especially to someone new to the game. The next two ships are kinda bad (Queen E and King George V) and the line plays a bit weird.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

It's no joke that the Orion is the best T5 Battleship in the game. I only played 23 games in the Iron Duke, averaged 54K damage, 17 wins - 6 losses. But same as the Orion you just want to be firing mostly HE, an HE volley from the Iron Duke or any RN BB is never wasted. Don't be too concerned about getting a full broadside on folk, just play it canny, set as many fires as you can and use your broadside to punish cruisers that get too bold. If you're top tier just roll around and bully everyone. If you find yourself in a T7 game just be cautious, do not expose your side and set people on fire permanently. Incase you're not looking out for it when you set someone on fire check the damage ticker or look at them to see if they put it out, if they do then go full on to set them on fire again as they will not be able to put it out. Getting a permanent 2 fires on someone really messes them up.

Also the KGV is one of the best battleships in the game. Don't @ me.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I agree. For its tier the KGV owns bones, and it's my highest rating battleship to this day according to wowstats.org's algorithm.

And yeah, for battleships don't be too spooked out by getting uptiered. As long as you know how to angle you won't get super murdered by everyone, and HE is useful against higher tier boats as well.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Just keep in mind that the KGV has the stealth/number of guns to play as a great HE spammer, but the Queen Elizabeth is not that good at HE spamming and is better off using its AP on cruisers/upper belt of battleships.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

And I do not know if this was fixed, but the QE has glaring holes in its armour that will cause full damage

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Queen Elizabeth is a Warspite with better HE, what's not to love? The Warspite's better turning circle makes up for the glacial turret but the QE is still fine as it's got insane HE.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Aramoro posted:

The Queen Elizabeth is a Warspite with better HE, what's not to love? The Warspite's better turning circle makes up for the glacial turret but the QE is still fine as it's got insane HE.

The Warspite got vastly improved turret traverse and better AP pen. It is the better ship, and I say that as someone who did well in the QE.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Blindeye posted:

The Warspite got vastly improved turret traverse and better AP pen. It is the better ship, and I say that as someone who did well in the QE.

Oh the Warspite is better no doubt about it, especially after the buff to turret traverse. But the the QE still has way better HE, it does almost 20% more damage than the Warspite. So if your positioning is good to minimise the amount of turning around you need to do then you'll do fine.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The Warspite is also just about as close to laser-accurate as you'll ever get with BB guns, which can lead to some truly amazing shots.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
holy poo poo the space battles are filled with the most mouth breathing idiots ive ever seen in this game.

like, charge right into a pile of torpedoes idiots. it makes randoms look like geniuses.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

celewign posted:

holy poo poo the space battles are filled with the most mouth breathing idiots ive ever seen in this game.

like, charge right into a pile of torpedoes idiots. it makes randoms look like geniuses.

This is what happens when people who don’t have tier 8s get access en masse

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Loky11 posted:

This is what happens when people who don’t have tier 8sTier 3s get access en masse

Fixed this to be more accurate. As I was reminded, you only need 70 games total to play the mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I don't really get the point of space battles, the rewards are pretty poor it seems?