Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mackers posted:

I really wish metal bands would get over the "circular swinging of hair" headbang thing

It just pulls me out every fuckin time I see it. It's such poser bullshit and I hate it.

dafuq outta here with that bad opinion!

kumba posted:

also: that knocked loose song sucks. YEAH. I SAID IT

LONG HAIR DOUBLE POST DONT CARE

my KL hot take: new song good. Pop Culture bad.

New page content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk51jsYzna0

New single from LIMBS, who I'm not familiar with, but will be checking out more of based off this.

XIII fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mackers posted:

I really wish metal bands would get over the "circular swinging of hair" headbang thing

It just pulls me out every fuckin time I see it. It's such poser bullshit and I hate it.

This thing metal bands have been doing since the 80s? Poser poo poo. Cannibal Corpse? The ultimate posers.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

This thing metal bands have been doing since the 80s? Poser poo poo. Cannibal Corpse? The ultimate posers.

Yyyyyyep.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

The Warriors Slings and Arrows is an all time favorite song of mine and KL didn’t really do much for it imo

They can’t all be winners!

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
GOD
FELL
SIIIILENNNNT

WHEN. I. CRIED. OUUUTTTTT!!

chung chung Chung braaahhh nahh nahhhh

Y’all muhfuckas are crazy. That song rips guts out

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I mostly just super can't stand that guy's voice, something about it is really grating

The breakdown you pointed at was cool but the rest of it was real meh

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

rad:
johnny booth (never listened before), that misery index snapcase cover, knocked loose's new song, windmill headbanging

bad:
new all that remains track, knocked loose's new version of all your friends, Mackers' opinions

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
New Dealer EP goes pretty drat hard - stick around for some Knocked Loose-WOOF WOOF'ing at 1:43:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0DmJ71jSvk

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'! A REAL loving BANGER! :rock:

kumba posted:

I mostly just super can't stand that guy's voice, something about it is really grating

The breakdown you pointed at was cool but the rest of it was real meh
I call it the Jacob Bannon test. Most mo'fos can't pull it off, but Bryan (KL's singer) seems to have it down to a science.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

New Obey the Brave single is a letdown. Continuation of the softer stuff they started to play with on Mad Season. Mad Season has some really solid songs so I'll hold out for the full album. OTB's first two tapes are for sure their strongest though.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

New Dealer EP goes pretty drat hard - stick around for some Knocked Loose-WOOF WOOF'ing at 1:43:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0DmJ71jSvk

Yeah this rules

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ahahaha that rules. I've never seen security not end up getting into the show by the end of it except for one time when I was seeing DEP and a band whose name I forget opened for them and every member was wearing motocross armor totally covered in dildos. The security dude between me and the stage was just laughing his rear end off the entire time.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Wamsutta posted:

New Obey the Brave single is a letdown. Continuation of the softer stuff they started to play with on Mad Season. Mad Season has some really solid songs so I'll hold out for the full album. OTB's first two tapes are for sure their strongest though.

Yeah, I hadn't listened to Obey the Brave since their first album and playing that new song was confusing as gently caress. I thought I had the wrong band on for a second. Not my jam, which is a shame because I love Despised Icon and want to support any of the dudes' side projects as well.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

The Dark Wind posted:

Yeah, I hadn't listened to Obey the Brave since their first album and playing that new song was confusing as gently caress. I thought I had the wrong band on for a second. Not my jam, which is a shame because I love Despised Icon and want to support any of the dudes' side projects as well.

Second album Salvation rips, check it out

Mad Season is hit and miss but the song Low Key gets me fuckin AMPED every time. Title track and On Thin Ice are also good!

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
gently caress this is a great weekend for music. Still have Mistakes Like Fractures on repeat, that Dealer EP is a lot of fun although I don’t think it has a lot of staying power, I can’t stop spinning the (not remotely appropriate for this thread) Pup album, and I had completely forgotten about Periphery’s album dropping yesterday. I know they ‘leaked’ it or whatever earlier but I hadn’t gotten around to it yet - on first listen, it’s extremely solid, although I don’t think anything will top P2 for me.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

I know they ‘leaked’ it or whatever earlier but I hadn’t gotten around to it yet - on first listen, it’s extremely solid, although I don’t think anything will top P2 for me.
Indeed! While I haven't heard P4, after a few more laps with it, I can say that P2 is an incredibly solid monolith of music almost from start to finish. Like, from "Muramasa" to "Ragnarok" the record is almost impossible to put down from how it gets you hooked. That's like 36 minutes of music! Hell, that's an incredibly solid exercise routine with rad music. I'm not as super invested in the second half, but goddamn is "Make Total Destroy" an absolute banger.

P3 almost has that, but I feel that "Marigold" could've used like at least 1 or 2 minutes less (it's still a loving rad song, though) and "Habitual Line Stepper" just isn't all that compared to it, the incredible "The Way the News Goes" and the deliciousness of "Remain Indoors".

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry for double-posting but I'm curious: what, exactly, happened with Shadows Fall? Like I know that everyone is now on different bands or doing work for music instrument brands, but never quite got the impression of how it basically went from being everyone's main band to sort of like their side project.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Wark Say posted:

Indeed! While I haven't heard P4, after a few more laps with it, I can say that P2 is an incredibly solid monolith of music almost from start to finish. Like, from "Muramasa" to "Ragnarok" the record is almost impossible to put down from how it gets you hooked. That's like 36 minutes of music! Hell, that's an incredibly solid exercise routine with rad music. I'm not as super invested in the second half, but goddamn is "Make Total Destroy" an absolute banger.

P3 almost has that, but I feel that "Marigold" could've used like at least 1 or 2 minutes less (it's still a loving rad song, though) and "Habitual Line Stepper" just isn't all that compared to it, the incredible "The Way the News Goes" and the deliciousness of "Remain Indoors".

This is exactly why P2 is one of my favorite albums ever. The flow to it is incredible.

Wark Say posted:

Sorry for double-posting but I'm curious: what, exactly, happened with Shadows Fall? Like I know that everyone is now on different bands or doing work for music instrument brands, but never quite got the impression of how it basically went from being everyone's main band to sort of like their side project.

Basically said that they're open to working together again in the future, but waining band popularity and not being able to pay the bills kinda took a toll on them so they decided to shelve the band.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
make sure you watch the video for Scarlet if you haven't, it owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUltTV3t4OM

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^ A song/music video about the delicacy of Ketchup is perfectly in line with these dorks. :cawg: ^^^^

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This is exactly why P2 is one of my favorite albums ever. The flow to it is incredible.

Basically said that they're open to working together again in the future, but waining band popularity and not being able to pay the bills kinda took a toll on them so they decided to shelve the band.
So basically like God Forbid and cheese knows how many others (as far as metalcore goes, it's the one example that came to mind). A bummer but not completely out of the ordinary because, unless you're willing to dedicate close to a 100% of yourself to music (Source from personal experience: It's insanely hard! :ohdear:), nowadays living off of playing/recording/composing music is just not doable.

And :agreed: on the flow of P2. Both the Juggernaut duology and P3 have only glimpses of as good a flow as P2 has.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I saw Doc from God Forbid at the movies recently here in LA and said what's up like a big cornball. he also used to bartend at Duff's in Brooklyn (NYC goons should go there for sure if you've never been).

first time I saw GF play was at a teeny tiny little club called Castle Heights in Queens NY probably 300 years ago. they loving blew me away bc I was so used to seeing straight up hardcore bands like 36 Deadly Fists, Everybody Gets Hurt, Shattered Realm etc etc. watching GF playing metal with breakdowns opened up a whole world to me.

Shadows Fall also rules hard. they played a show with Candiria at L'amour in Brooklyn and it was the first time I moshed. lost my glasses and everything lol

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

gently caress this is a great weekend for music. Still have Mistakes Like Fractures on repeat, that Dealer EP is a lot of fun although I don’t think it has a lot of staying power, I can’t stop spinning the (not remotely appropriate for this thread) Pup album, and I had completely forgotten about Periphery’s album dropping yesterday. I know they ‘leaked’ it or whatever earlier but I hadn’t gotten around to it yet - on first listen, it’s extremely solid, although I don’t think anything will top P2 for me.

This is also me.

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006
Have some some God Mother:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7h5NAxLmAQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZHnu304-SI

They remind me a lot of Norma Jean, but I think Spotify recommended them to me based on Yautja. Grungey-grindcore doesn't usually do it for me but this threesome loving slays. Saw them with Rivers Of Nihil last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW22suFiou0

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

60 Hertz Jig posted:

They remind me a lot of Norma Jean, but I think Spotify recommended them to me based on Yautja. Grungey-grindcore doesn't usually do it for me but this threesome loving slays. Saw them with Rivers Of Nihil last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW22suFiou0
Dediced to click on this. HOLY poo poo. I am in love. :swoon:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Wark Say posted:

Dediced to click on this. HOLY poo poo. I am in love. :swoon:

If you dig them, I'd really recommend Khann's Erode (it's old, from 2011). Super underrated album IMO. Sad they never put more out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaQoGMuq8DM

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

xZAOx posted:

If you dig them, I'd really recommend Khann's Erode (it's old, from 2011). Super underrated album IMO. Sad they never put more out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaQoGMuq8DM
I'll check them out. Thanks!

In other news, I take back every single thing I said about Periphery never beating P2 as far as flow goes: How the gently caress did they made a 17 minute song feel like the most natural thing ever?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Wark Say posted:

I'll check them out. Thanks!

In other news, I take back every single thing I said about Periphery never beating P2 as far as flow goes: How the gently caress did they made a 17 minute song feel like the most natural thing ever?

Yeah I dunno. I thought Empath was going to be an easy AOTY call for me this year, and then HAIL STAN comes out and.... already made that difficult

I have been getting off my lazy rear end a lot recently and started a Couch to 5k program, and now my goal is to try and finish a 5k within one play of Reptile + Blood Eagle

Parachute
May 18, 2003
yautja are absurdly good and constantly overlooked. they remind me a lot of keelhaul or like they could be on escape artist/hydrahead records in 2002. can't wait for them to release more material (this year)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Parachute posted:

yautja are absurdly good and constantly overlooked. they remind me a lot of keelhaul or like they could be on escape artist/hydrahead records in 2002. can't wait for them to release more material (this year)

Yautja kicks rear end and they have a weird family tree too. One of them is in Coliseum and the drummer is in Thou now.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

heck yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbd-rA2O2_4

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

The Dark Wind posted:

More new After the Burial, it's solid, but I definitely enjoyed the other track more.

:emptyquote:

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Guys, this new Knocked Loose song has sent me down quite the rabbit hole. In particular, those last three notes (@3:12) and sustain hit me with a nostalgia wave the first time I heard them. My fellow olde heads will remember an era when this sound dominated the genre. (I've pointed out before how K//L are able to evoke this core heyday.) Snapcase was mentioned here a few pages ago, but my go-to on this guitar sound is the Scoville brothers, and I'm here to tell you their poo poo still extremely holds up 20+ years later. If you don't remember (or were in diapers) then pull your groove socks up and try this track on for size

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOoC9dunqwM

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
After a few additional spins, I come here with a piping hot take: Screw my previous statements, P4: Hail Stan is AOTY 2019 so far. I was super skeptic because of my previous adoration regarding P2: This Time It's Personal's superior flow and P3: Select Difficulty's magnificent moments of crunchy-outside-yet-creamy-inside deliciousness, but how the devil do you top an almost 17 minute song that leaves you jonesing for more? It's as if they looked at whatever other bands where doing, shook their drat heads in disapproval and went "Motherfuckers, this is how it's done". And so they did.

Because goly gosh darn it. :swoon:

Also, that "Suck My Balls. :cheeky:" stinger still gets to me. :mmmhmm:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 12, 2019

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnQUDQpnG3M

New tune from As I Lay Dying. It's very much about trying to get his wife killed.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

well that was boring and unremarkable as gently caress

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

other new music out today

Nails - it sounds like Nails, which is great but not if you don't like em
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8mNK0vAk2s

and Mental Cruelty who are easily becoming my favorite deathslamcore whatever the gently caress you wanna call it, not only that but featuring Dickie Allen who is at the top of the vocalist game as far as i'm concerned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCH1OIHNtuo

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

Agreed.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

Yeah it did nothing for me at all. My Own Grave was catchy af tho

Snow Cone Capone