Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Amethyst posted:

piss off with your dumb object oriented interfaces with incomprehensible errors. just give me a text based bash clone idiots

gonna pipe this to Out-Null

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
just put c# on the shell already

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Amethyst posted:

the two control panels is madening and it's insane that it's still a thing, easily the worst thing about it

the rest i don't really agree with. you hit a switch to disable the lovely spyware and ads. it's tasteless and horrible and shouldn't be there, but the switch really does turn it off.

it's less glitchy than mojave by a wide margin. mojave is REALLY bad in that respect. It's probably the most stable feeling desktop OS i've used since snow leopard

also mojave is always showing me ads for lovely apple services

I was about to disagree with you but now that I think about it, I haven’t had any gigantic os crashes or freezes in a while with windows

but then again the last major update deleted some files so that’s pretty bad

so in conclusion windows is a land of contrasts

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lmao you ignored the obvious light that came on in the corner of the touchpad to indicate this was happening and where to tap to turn it off

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
computers are hard - a yosposter

but also lol, that's such an incredibly stupid feature implemented in the dumbest possible way

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hp rocket surgeon, galaxy brain extraordinaire: i know, we'll put a spot on the touchpad that if you touch it, disables the touchpad. this is cool and good and definitely something our customers want

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Jenny Agutter posted:

lmao you ignored the obvious light that came on in the corner of the touchpad to indicate this was happening and where to tap to turn it off

why the gently caress would anyone think to look for it, this is the worst possible and dumbest thing.

also why would anyone think that light means that? what possible visual hint could they possibly offer to make that make sense.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

it's a dumb feature but if something changes in the behavior of something you use constantly maybe give it the ol once over before panicking

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

wish this forum wasn't dying so we could get impressions from young people when they first discover the caps lock button

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it says something that like 30 years of computer touching later i still get tripped up entirely when i have caps lock on unexpectedly

i don't use vim as you may understand from this.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Jenny Agutter posted:

wish this forum wasn't dying so we could get impressions from young people when they first discover the caps lock button

even worse is the insert key, i had a boss that would restart his computer when he accidentally triggered overtype mode

we laughed at him so hard

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Perplx posted:

even worse is the insert key, i had a boss that would restart his computer when he accidentally triggered overtype mode

we laughed at him so hard

yes, your boss, what a fool....

h e h

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

from what i've seen they probably won't. fuckin wireless keyboards these days don't have any indicator LEDs on them. first went scroll lock, who gives a gently caress. then went numlock, kinda annoying. now even the caps lock LED is fuckin gone!

i type this now from a microsoft wireless keyboard which has one LED on it that i've never seen lit and nfi what it's for. since this fuckin change i've taken to double-tapping caps lock as muscle memory or some poo poo it's hosed!

oh btw, the bitlocker unlock key entry dialogue in win10 doesn't tell you if caps lock is enabled like on a password prompt so lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-is-making-big-windows-10-update-changes-starting-with-the-may-2019-release/

Did this get posted yet? Microsoft is going to give Windows 10 Home users the same control over when updates are applied as Pro users.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

mystes posted:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-is-making-big-windows-10-update-changes-starting-with-the-may-2019-release/

Did this get posted yet? Microsoft is going to give Windows 10 Home users the same control over when updates are applied as Pro users.

i would read that article, but after a dialog popped up asking to enable notifications, a video started autoplaying, and a in-page dialog popped up, i reflexively closed the tab

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
why don't you have various content blocking enabled

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
They want to engage with advertisers

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

delete windows please

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Chris Knight posted:

why don't you have various content blocking enabled

I thought I did

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

My Linux Rig posted:

I thought I did

too late now you gotta flatten & reinstall

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

My Linux Rig posted:

i would read that article, but after a dialog popped up asking to enable notifications, a video started autoplaying, and a in-page dialog popped up, i reflexively closed the tab

ziff davis has always been terrible. going balls deep in the worst excesses of the web 2.0 era is just par for the course

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ahh memories of watching zdtv every day one summer when we got direct tv came flooding back all of a sudden

"leo laporte, why is your mouse pointer set to the largest one available??" - 10 year old me not understanding resolution while watching "call for help"

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

from what i've seen they probably won't. fuckin wireless keyboards these days don't have any indicator LEDs on them. first went scroll lock, who gives a gently caress. then went numlock, kinda annoying. now even the caps lock LED is fuckin gone!

i type this now from a microsoft wireless keyboard which has one LED on it that i've never seen lit and nfi what it's for. since this fuckin change i've taken to double-tapping caps lock as muscle memory or some poo poo it's hosed!

oh btw, the bitlocker unlock key entry dialogue in win10 doesn't tell you if caps lock is enabled like on a password prompt so lol

Disable the caps lock key with a registry edit. Best thing I ever did.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Father Jack posted:

maybe it's genuinely much better on mac

if you haven’t used a MacBook you literally can’t even begin to grasp how much better the touchpad is

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

if you haven’t used a MacBook you literally can’t even begin to grasp how much better the touchpad is

it’s night and day of the night is on Iceland in the winter and day is on a Caribbean island and also you’re getting a blowjob

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I don't want to constantly be hornt when I'm using excel or whatever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/purengom/status/1114633157112782848

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

you should post this in all the threads

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

akadajet posted:

you should post this in all the threads

look, it's not my fault if you read both the pix thread and the ms thread, okay

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

compass, map and ir goggles are pretty predictable uses tbh.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also, targeting reticule, k/d stats and after-action report

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

infernal machines posted:

also, targeting reticule, k/d stats and after-action report

not too sure how you could show k/d stats. i mean i guess the d part only counts up to 1, but it'd be challenging for a pair of goggles to confirm kills.

i wonder if they'll get iff on them. that's kind of more what i was expecting.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they're using them in training, but yeah

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
every soldier is an incredible badass with an infinite k/d ratio :prepop:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

quote:

You might also wonder, as I did, how a soldier can aim a weapon while wearing IVAS.

yes i was very puzzled as to how one might aim a weapon while wearing a pair of ir glasses.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Chalks posted:

not too sure how you could show k/d stats. i mean i guess the d part only counts up to 1, but it'd be challenging for a pair of goggles to confirm kills.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_bullet#Transmitting_data
I'm sure you can make one that detects if it penetrates flesh

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Wheany posted:

every soldier is an incredible badass with an infinite k/d ratio :prepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S06nIz4scvI

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i watched this movie with my dad, who was a helicopter crew chief in vietnam, and this was the only part he found completely unbelievable, because that guy "would have been court marshaled in a second"

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
if pubg has taught me anything it's that a compass on a heads up display is as good as walls when playing in a team so if it works as advertised I suspect it'll do quite well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
dont those things still have awful fov