Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've captured the moons of Jupiter and Saturn's rings handheld with a phone sized sensor in a Nikon P900.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not really sure where else to share this, but here's a very Irish looking family (not mine) on vacation, and my Pixel 3's steadicam feature has gone slightly haywire. Every loop I see something slightly more unnatural, as it's trying to keep the horizon level, even though we're going over a small wave, causing rigid parts of the boat to stretch in new and interesting ways

Click to embiggen

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Yeah, the other day I took a night sky picture with my pixel and was amazed at the result

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hadlock posted:

Not really sure where else to share this, but here's a very Irish looking family (not mine) on vacation, and my Pixel 3's steadicam feature has gone slightly haywire. Every loop I see something slightly more unnatural, as it's trying to keep the horizon level, even though we're going over a small wave, causing rigid parts of the boat to stretch in new and interesting ways

Click to embiggen

Yeah I think the software steadycam has some learning to do when it comes to stuff like boats. Like you can see that it's trying to keep the horizon stable because it knows you're outside, but then there's other "stationary" things like the mast so it uses those as reference and turns the guy up in the bow into bubblegum

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I still have yet to really do any experiments with my OnePlus 6t camera. I'll see how it will do in low light situations and how much noise it produces without using its own flash. It's starting to warm up quick here and various critters such as lizards will start hunting for bugs on and around my house walls, it'll be cool to snap some decent pics of them.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

ijii posted:

I still have yet to really do any experiments with my OnePlus 6t camera. I'll see how it will do in low light situations and how much noise it produces without using its own flash. It's starting to warm up quick here and various critters such as lizards will start hunting for bugs on and around my house walls, it'll be cool to snap some decent pics of them.

This would scare the bollocks clean off me.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Lizards are cool, I'd be more scared of the bugs they're hunting seeing as some of those can bite/sting you.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
My "high volume will gently caress up your hearing" alert has been going off seemingly at random and reducing volume to a whisper until I unlock and try to volume up manually. What do I need to do to stop it asking me? Pixel 3 with the included buds, no special options on I don't think?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thanks to climate change my area is just now getting lizards which like to climb walls and whatnot and they're really cool dudes. Between them and not having to buy snow tires anymore the end of the world has been nothing but upside for me.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Thanks to climate change my area is just now getting lizards which like to climb walls and whatnot and they're really cool dudes. Between them and not having to buy snow tires anymore the end of the world has been nothing but upside for me.

Climate change has been horrific for me. Spiders are now living longer in the warmer and longer spring and summer, so they get bigger and scare the shite clean out of me. Some child disappearances have been attributed to spiders where I live.

Before I get probated for derailing the One True Thread, I'll add a bit about Android.

Android Q Beta 2 has been worse than Beta 1 for me on my Pixel 3. More apps crash more often, even in the background, battery life is worse, and the app switching is almost unusable...

This last point is mitigated by the fact that RAM management remains abysmal, so switching between apps just relaunches them most of the time now.

It's really starting to get to me - my Galaxy S7 from 3 years ago had better memory management. If it's something that isn't resolved the next time I'm upgrading my phone I'll probably head back to Samsung. The Pixel camera will be hard to walk away from but at least I might have a better overall UX.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Android Q Beta 2 has been worse than Beta 1 for me on my Pixel 3. More apps crash more often, even in the background, battery life is worse, and the app switching is almost unusable...

This last point is mitigated by the fact that RAM management remains abysmal, so switching between apps just relaunches them most of the time now.

It's really starting to get to me - my Galaxy S7 from 3 years ago had better memory management. If it's something that isn't resolved the next time I'm upgrading my phone I'll probably head back to Samsung. The Pixel camera will be hard to walk away from but at least I might have a better overall UX.

It's a developer beta, there's gonna be issues like poor battery life and ram management. Even iOS isn't immune to betas being bad for the end user--but they aren't supposed to be installed on a daily driver device. The only reason they're publicly available are that the more people on the beta, the more information about issues Google gets that they can fix before the release candidate.

Now it's possible that the final Q release will have poor ram management (P does) but, again, this is a beta.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok will updating to One UI / Pie gently caress up what I have going with Nova and Sesame? I just got a notification that my S8 has an update (I'm currently running Android OS 8, Samsung Experience 9), and while I obviously want to be secure... well, actually, that means I should pretty much do it, right?

Will this re-enable Bixby? :ohdear:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

asecondduck posted:

It's a developer beta, there's gonna be issues like poor battery life and ram management. Even iOS isn't immune to betas being bad for the end user--but they aren't supposed to be installed on a daily driver device. The only reason they're publicly available are that the more people on the beta, the more information about issues Google gets that they can fix before the release candidate.

Now it's possible that the final Q release will have poor ram management (P does) but, again, this is a beta.

Oh I know, it was more for information for those considering hopping into the Beta at this stage, hoping for more improvements over Pie.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Oh I know, it was more for information for those considering hopping into the Beta at this stage, hoping for more improvements over Pie.

I usually don’t expect optimizations to show up in betas until close to release, if they show up in the betas at all.

Personally I’m not sure that Google sees ram management on the Pixel line as an issue—I think they make the management artificially high to make sure that the battery life is as good as it can be. And to be fair to Google, the way I use my Pixel, I barely ever noticed it happening, and when it does happen it was only ever a problem if I was switching back and forth between apps while posting on Awful, because it would kill my post in progress. And I haven’t seen that happen in months.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Hadlock posted:

Edit: there's enough detail there that you can actually pick out which stars are slightly fuzzy and represent the Orion Nebula, just south of Orion's belt

bull3964 posted:

I've captured the moons of Jupiter and Saturn's rings handheld with a phone sized sensor in a Nikon P900.

All those moments will be preserved in time, like firmware in ROM.
Time to Google.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

asecondduck posted:

I usually don’t expect optimizations to show up in betas until close to release, if they show up in the betas at all.

Personally I’m not sure that Google sees ram management on the Pixel line as an issue—I think they make the management artificially high to make sure that the battery life is as good as it can be. And to be fair to Google, the way I use my Pixel, I barely ever noticed it happening, and when it does happen it was only ever a problem if I was switching back and forth between apps while posting on Awful, because it would kill my post in progress. And I haven’t seen that happen in months.

I notice it all the time on the stable releases, because it keeps killing my music player right after I start it and then lock the phone immediately after within seconds of it being locked once or twice a day. Which is pretty much basic management fail.

Also started getting the screen flashes which with my eye strain issues, while they're not the worst issue, make me go AGH briefly. I think my Pixel 3, between this and the admittedly expected anymore lack of headphone jack is probably my least favorite phone I've ever owned. I had better RAM experience on the goddamn Nexus 6P I was using prior to getting it, even when it was years old. (The Nokia 6.1 I had was great, until I got screwed out of a warranty.)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Some child disappearances have been attributed to spiders where I live.

:prepop:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Climate change has been horrific for me. Spiders are now living longer in the warmer and longer spring and summer, so they get bigger and scare the shite clean out of me. Some child disappearances have been attributed to spiders where I live.

Found the Aussie

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok will updating to One UI / Pie gently caress up what I have going with Nova and Sesame? I just got a notification that my S8 has an update (I'm currently running Android OS 8, Samsung Experience 9), and while I obviously want to be secure... well, actually, that means I should pretty much do it, right?

Dunno, but Nova let's you export your settings. Def. do that before you upgrade if you have concerns.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Uthor posted:

Dunno, but Nova let's you export your settings. Def. do that before you upgrade if you have concerns.

Ah right, ok, will do.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vyst posted:

Found the Aussie

That was exactly my thought, followed by if I was in Australia, I'd be scared of every new animal I saw too.

G-Spot Run posted:

My "high volume will gently caress up your hearing" alert has been going off seemingly at random and reducing volume to a whisper until I unlock and try to volume up manually. What do I need to do to stop it asking me? Pixel 3 with the included buds, no special options on I don't think?

Is that a Europe-only thing? I haven't seen that warning in years. I think the last time was on the Galaxy Nexus.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Is that a Europe-only thing? I haven't seen that warning in years. I think the last time was on the Galaxy Nexus.

I see it very inconsistently on devices in Canada too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I was looking at the Switch VR Labo thing, and realized that I now own a phone that's compatible with Gear VR, something I used very briefly a few years ago on a friend's older phone. It was pretty neat, but I was mainly just looking at pictures and I think VR video. Do any of you have this? I assume it's not much more than a fairly expensive novelty, but I'm tempted to check out Minecraft in VR. Are there any super essential games to play with the thing?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

My gear VR and daydream VR play the game collect dust in closet after the first week of opening

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CLAM DOWN posted:

I see it very inconsistently on devices in Canada too.

Windows Phones used to do it sometimes. Super annoying when it's connected to the car stereo and it dumps the volume while you're driving. You're making me fuss with the phone while driving!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

I was looking at the Switch VR Labo thing, and realized that I now own a phone that's compatible with Gear VR, something I used very briefly a few years ago on a friend's older phone. It was pretty neat, but I was mainly just looking at pictures and I think VR video. Do any of you have this? I assume it's not much more than a fairly expensive novelty, but I'm tempted to check out Minecraft in VR. Are there any super essential games to play with the thing?

The problem with GearVR is that your phone is going to overheat and downclock after about 15 to 30 minutes, which means the VR is going to start to stutter and be bad. I would only recommend it if you have an S8+, as the phone has a larger surface area for cooling.

The GearVR costs around $130 MSRP (you can find it on sale though). For $200, you can get the Oculus Go, which is the exact same thing as the GearVR (it uses the same SoC as the S8), except the internals are spread out and won't overheat like it would on your phone. That makes it a muuuuch better experience.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

gourdcaptain posted:

I notice it all the time on the stable releases, because it keeps killing my music player right after I start it and then lock the phone immediately after within seconds of it being locked once or twice a day. Which is pretty much basic management fail.

That's bizarre, what player? I use Apple Music and I've never had anything like that happen.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

None of the apps or settings on my Note 8 were affected when I received the update.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

asecondduck posted:

That's bizarre, what player? I use Apple Music and I've never had anything like that happen.

Rocket Player, Podcast Addict, NewPipe, take your pick.

Oh, Google Maps once during busy navigation, that was fun.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

gourdcaptain posted:

Rocket Player, Podcast Addict, NewPipe, take your pick.

Oh, Google Maps once during busy navigation, that was fun.

Is this a Pixel 2/3 thing or something? My Pixel one has never done this with Maps/Pocket Casts/Youtube Music.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Having both a P3 and a 6T has made me realize that I like whatever size phone I'm not currently using day to day.

I tire of carrying around a big phone and the smaller one feels so nice in the hand.

Then, after awhile, the phone with that larger screen seems a ton nicer and I want to shift back.

Maybe the future IS foldable phones :D.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

asecondduck posted:

Personally I’m not sure that Google sees ram management on the Pixel line as an issue—I think they make the management artificially high to make sure that the battery life is as good as it can be.

They don't. The mid-range Pixels (which have shown up in more official documents now and will be coming to Verizon) also have 4GB of RAM.

I guess Verizon has exclusivity for all Pixel 3 based phones. Wasn't the rumor supposed to be everything after the P3 won't be exclusive?

For what it's worth, I've not had issues on my P2XL with 4GB of RAM while using Maps, running GPM for podcasts, and Bluetooth.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Memory management on the Pixel is buggy poo poo, it's not the amount of RAM. It literally varies month to month with whatever poorly QAed software update Google puts out. I'm highly considering a Samsung phone for my next personal device because who gives a poo poo about monthly updates if they always break stuff?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

My wife's Pixel's GPS is mostly not functional and I'm debating if I even want to touch a Pixel 3a to replace it when Google can't get the base model working and probably cares even less about the midrange variant. If it wasn't for the camera this wouldn't even be a discussion.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The Fellowship of the Pixel Warriors is broken :emo:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Memory management on the Pixel is buggy poo poo, it's not the amount of RAM. It literally varies month to month with whatever poorly QAed software update Google puts out. I'm highly considering a Samsung phone for my next personal device because who gives a poo poo about monthly updates if they always break stuff?
I used to give Samsung a lot of poo poo, but things are good now. gently caress Google Pixel, that overpriced cookie cutter poo poo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

We spilled blood together, my brothers

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I will continue carrying the torch. Pixel ftw, Samsung ftl (except the S10e looks pretty good!)

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

sourdough posted:

I will continue carrying the torch. Pixel ftw, Samsung ftl (except the S10e looks pretty good!)

I just picked up an S10e a couple days ago. Really nice phone. I'm having some quality of life issues that I'm having a hard time adjusting to coming from Apple (had the same iPhone 6 the last few years). Hopefully I can get over it.

Oddly enough, before I got the iPhone 6 I used Android for like 8 years and always avoided Apple. Remember the same thing happening when I first got it. Adjustment issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
My pixel works fine