Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Jesus. :catstare:

My cat definitely knows her name. You say "Pickle" and she'll look at you, but it's basically up to her if she wants to come over. She'll usually come when I call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

my cats definitely communicate. when the outside cat wants to come inside the inside cat will stare at her for a while and then come get me to let her in

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

No way, dogs are loving and sweet.

Only a human could be this much of a hateful jerk.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dogs and cats make a lot of sense considering they basically speak very different languages and it takes years for them to learn to understand each other.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Yes, just like human babies.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

How is the plane taking off if it’s not moving forward through the air? When you go for a jog outside, you feel the air move around you, when you run on a treadmill, you don’t feel anything because you aren’t actually moving forward. A plane in the simplest terms doesn’t need engines or wheels to take off, it just needs functional wings and enough speed forward through enough air to create lift.

Haha did you'll motherfuckers forget planes have wings haha like birds dude flap them and go haha smdh if them ducks at the park is on a threadmill and you start spinning it they is gone bro haha wheels or no god drat

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

All of the planes are flapping on the treadmill
Falderalderalda
Falderalderalda

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Jerry Cotton posted:

What's the question :confused:

Oh, 0.9999 definitely isn't 1, it's 0.9999. I misread your post, sorry.

The third line there would be 9x = 9.999... -x, that calculation doesn't prove poo poo.

E: That's not to say I disbelieve 1 = 0.999... , this is just a quirk of the decimal system. Similar fuckery happens in other numeral systems aswell, just with other numbers.

Catpain Slack has a new favorite as of 13:37 on Apr 5, 2019

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Catpain Slack posted:

The third line there would be 9x = 9.999... -x, that calculation doesn't prove poo poo

9.999... - x is what?

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Catpain Slack posted:

The third line there would be 9x = 9.999... -x, that calculation doesn't prove poo poo.

So you think 9.999... - 0.999... is something other than 9? Because if so, you're just plain stupid.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Jerry Cotton posted:

So you think 9.999... - 0.999... is something other than 9? Because if so, you're just plain stupid.

But you're not subtracting 0.999... there, you're subtracting x.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Catpain Slack posted:

But you're not subtracting 0.999... there, you're subtracting x.

What's the first line?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jerry Cotton posted:

Falderalderalda
Falderalderalda

:neckbeard:

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Jerry Cotton posted:

What's the first line?

I'm not mathematically eloquent enough to describe what I'm trying to say here, but this is the essence of it https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-prove-9-99999-10

While that calculation might illustrate the point well, as an actual proof it's worthless.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Catpain Slack posted:

I'm not mathematically eloquent enough to describe what I'm trying to say here, but this is the essence of it https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-prove-9-99999-10

While that calculation might illustrate the point well, as an actual proof it's worthless.

It seems you do not understand (or refuse to understand) variables, which are pretty dang elementary :shrug:

e: The piece behind that quora link makes the most basic mistake: treating this as a mathematical issue rather than what it is, i.e. a purely linguistic issue.

ee: Of course since language is the basis of all science, everything is a linguistic issue :mmmhmm:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Apr 5, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

dialhforhero posted:

If the plane is a prop plane and not a jet then what?

Well if it's just a prop its not going to take off no matter what you do.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
You can't subtract a letter from a number, idiots :smug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Falderalderalda
Falderalderalda

We're not talking about ornithopters here

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

if im remembering right, this image was created in a thread about creating your own images on credit cards and some goon actually got one with it on it

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It was not. It was reposted there from the original thread, which was one of several different arguments about how to wipe your rear end

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
so if I'm in a car and drive into a canyon. while falling down I climb out of the car and on top of the roof. Then at the last second the car hits the ground I jump upwards off the roof. I land safely on the ground right?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

RandomFerret posted:

It was not. It was reposted there from the original thread, which was one of several different arguments about how to wipe your rear end

I thought it was a thread where people MS painted their most embarrassing secrets...

Qwezz posted:

so if I'm in a car and drive into a canyon. while falling down I climb out of the car and on top of the roof. Then at the last second the car hits the ground I jump upwards off the roof. I land safely on the ground right?

If in one, swift jump you can cancel out the terminal velocity of the car, sure.

Although that would definitely crush your legs, seeing as, from their point of view, it's exactly the same as if you were just standing on the car when it hit the ground.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The meme is that goons are goons and we cant change that.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Jerry Cotton posted:

Loss edits getting harder to understand.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

Bread Liar

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Qwezz posted:

Yes, but only if you flap your arms to create lift.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The rockets on the plane that are under the wings give the plane enough lift to blast off the treadmill obviously

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Jerry Cotton posted:

x = 0,ggg...
70x = g,ggg...
gx = g
x = 7

math is different since i was in school

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

owl_pellet posted:

x = 0,ggg...
70x = g,ggg...
gx = g
x = 7

math is different since i was in school

loving common core

common core is fantastic, don't @ me

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Catpain Slack posted:

My favourite thing is that the guy who says he doesn't use the 9x thing then goes on to state without proof the formula for the sum of a geometric series, which is derived in exactly the same way

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The trick is just that there is no number between 0.999... and 1 so therefore they are functionally the same

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I see you've never used Fortran

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I hate this more than I hate Simpsons memes.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Does make me wonder how many people have even been on a plane, I figured that out when I was like, eight? Not to mention the whole thing about planes are pretty slow on the ground for obvious reasons.

i once sat in a kansas airport and listened to an older couple argue over whether the big spinning blades on the wings were fans to cool the workers in the midday sun. much like computers, a significant number of people who have benefited from planes have no idea how they work.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Fried Watermelon posted:

The trick is just that there is no number between 0.999... and 1 so therefore they are functionally the same

It’s this more or less. You could maybe say that .999... as an arbitrary value philosophically exists, but in decimal mathematics a repeating number means you just hit one of those numbers that doesn’t calculate cleanly, like a third or a ninth, so it’s equal to one.

bottom text

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

Bread Liar

i probably deserve it so good on her

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CaptainViolence posted:

i once sat in a kansas airport and listened to an older couple argue over whether the big spinning blades on the wings were fans to cool the workers in the midday sun. much like computers, a significant number of people who have benefited from planes have no idea how they work.

There's an old joke about how the big fan on the front of the plane is there to cool the pilot off, because when the fan stops working the pilot starts sweating...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.
If anyone ever wondered why these forums are dying I'd like enter the last 3 pages as exhibit A.