Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Onean posted:

There's a living world with an independent supporting cast and the MC's actions have repercussions.

I don't really follow how this distinguishes it from any other otome isekai?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Zandracon posted:

dendro trailer popped up, curious how far it'll adapt things, considering there are good cutoff points at vol 2 or 5.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQzpf53SjN8

I tried several times to get into Infinite Dendrogram but the manga only has 8 chapters (Which seem to come out once every quarter or less) and the LN is licensed and I never decided to purchase it. Is it worth getting?

khy fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 26, 2019

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I don't really follow how this distinguishes it from any other otome isekai?

It's rarely an issue with otome isekai seeing as that's kind of the point for them. It's other isekai that can stumble here. Bad ones treat anything farther than the immediate vicinity as some formless, meaningless white noise space, sometimes having a character or plot spawning from or disappearing into it. This isn't guaranteed to be bad, but if it's anything more than a short story it's probably going to stagnate.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Ah, fair enough. Thanks for the rec, the first couple of chapters have been pretty good.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lmao at the Saitoh extra

I love that it keeps using the extras to tell these random little one-off stories :3:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The last page, comparing the equipment between the King and the Demon Lord, was perfect. :3:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It was downright unfair to the Demon Lord, really. I bet he was cold

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new potion isekai

Yep, that's one way to cheat with your potion power alright

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I am apparently a complete sucker for "Reincarnated as the Villainess" isekais and will read literally every one offered to me

Rebirth of the Villainess: The Life of Letizia after the Engagement Annulmentit's only the first half of chapter 1 but the other translation looks like it was written by google translate

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'd ask why there are so many except i'm apparently the exact audience for it

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's kind of come up before, but I believe* a lot of isekai was and is a setting written by and for Asian women and girls, much like a lot of fan fiction was and is for Western women and girls. The rise of the lovely male-fantasy stuff has kind of pushed it to the background, but the stuff for women never actually stopped. Now, though, the kids that grew up with otome games are young adult women (and some men) that are interested in writing their own stories so, much like fan fiction borrows settings and characters, a lot start by borrowing story beats and tropes from otome games.

*(I don't have a solid source, just a couple random hearsay posts around the internet, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong.)

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Onean posted:

It's kind of come up before, but I believe* a lot of isekai was and is a setting written by and for Asian women and girls, much like a lot of fan fiction was and is for Western women and girls. The rise of the lovely male-fantasy stuff has kind of pushed it to the background, but the stuff for women never actually stopped. Now, though, the kids that grew up with otome games are young adult women (and some men) that are interested in writing their own stories so, much like fan fiction borrows settings and characters, a lot start by borrowing story beats and tropes from otome games.

*(I don't have a solid source, just a couple random hearsay posts around the internet, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong.)

Yeah, this is pretty much it.
And a few of them are super popular so the rest end up kind of emulating them. It's basically the exact same thing as with the male fantasy stuff but we historically just didn't get as much of this translated even though it's been around.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

remember that so much of this went untranslated for so long before LHTranslation decided to attempt to translate basically every male isekai fantasy series, all at the same time. so a lot of the huge wave that we saw with that was artificially created. a lot of the wave that we're seen right now is also due to the scanlation groups rather than the actual releases. it's all been around we just haven't been able to read it in English

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

it's kind of a really poor idea to try to judge the trend of popularity of subgenres using the small sample that we get scanlated in the west, and extremely irregular release dates

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
1/3 of my series on Novel Updates are otome stories or close enough to them, so I guess that genre also somewhat appeals to me.

The annoying thing is that about half of them either release super slowly or end up getting dropped, so maybe my tastes don't quite align with people who translate them (that half is also my favorite half).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sadly we can't all be so lucky as to have a translation team as efficient as the Kengan Asura team.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

good reason not to learn Japanese is so that I'll have time spent not reading manga all day

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

I'd ask why there are so many except i'm apparently the exact audience for it

I'm wondering whether anyone has ever made an otome game about being reincarnated as a villainess in an otome game? How would a game/plot that meta even work?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Oo Koo posted:

I'm wondering whether anyone has ever made an otome game about being reincarnated as a villainess in an otome game? How would a game/plot that meta even work?

Like a normal otome game.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

chumbler posted:

Like a normal otome game.

Well yeah, if one wants to be boring about it. Bit of a waste of the plot gimmick if it isn't being used for weird meta game mechanics.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Oo Koo posted:

Well yeah, if one wants to be boring about it. Bit of a waste of the plot gimmick if it isn't being used for weird meta game mechanics.

This would be, hands down, the best idea possible for an otome game sequel. Make the first game, let it get popular, then make a sequel where somebody gets reincarnated as the first game's villainess and all the changes you make to try and avoid your death flags start butterflying things.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I think at least -a- reason that the villainess trope is so popular is because it basically gives an excuse to have the main character be confident and sure of herself in a genre where the main character is often pretty passive and usually a blank slate besides, so that the player could pretend to be that character.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think the first game would be a dating sim and the second would be Long Live the Queen version of that dating sim.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, I'm about 100 chapters into the webnovel of Duke's Daughter and there's some stuff I'm really looking forward to seeing in manga form, first of which has just started in the recent manga chapters.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My only issue with a lot of the "otome villainess" WNs is that they often don't really make use of the premise much and have the protagonist just go off and do their own thing. I like the idea of the protagonist sort of interacting with the original game/manga story and characters.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I didn't think of myself as someone who thinks much of manga and light novels before, and most of it still feels like trash if I'm being honest, but I gotta admit the "reincarnated as an otome villainess"-subgenre of isekai is great, especially Bakarina. When I first read Bakarina I was instantly hooked, its just so charming. Katarina is an incredibly likable protagonist, and its pretty easy to see how pretty much everyone besides her mother are completely in love with her - and despite being a reincarnation, Katarina doesn't have any cheat skills or special knowledge besides some half-baked memories, she's just someone who is a pretty good person and a bit of an idiot. She's so caught up fretting about the future that she fails to notice that she becomes an entirely different person from the Katarina in the game, so there'd be basically no reason for her to end up in the bad ending. I just wish the manga showed more stuff from the supporting cast's perspective, the chapters in the LN where the other people's perspectives on the events are given are pretty great.

Pretty much all of the ones in the villainess subgenre have something going for them, and they all are pretty different despite sharing character archetypes a lot. When the villainess remembers her past life, how she reacts to it and what she tries to do about it all vary quite a lot. It is a bit weird how incredibly specific stuff like "the handsome hyper competent scheming prince" are so identical between the different stories, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's because they imitate other stories in that popular sub-genre. so, what began as a single character becomes a trope, then a staple.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

There's Observation record of my fiancee where the POV character is the prince the villainess is engaged to. She blabs that she's a reincarnation and this is her otome game and everything (I really liked this. Usual isekais have the person be wise beyond their years and they don't really re-experience childhood, but this one has made it so the villainess, despite possessing all the knowledge of her past self, is still a little bratty kid growing up). The prince, being a weirdo prodigy who is incredibly smart for his age, finds her interesting and also takes advantage of her knowledge.

In terms of how it resembles an otome game, it doesn't...until the heroine shows up. While she doesn't have any knowledge of the otome game or anything, she is proactively trying to seduce each of the male leads. Regardless of the reason, it's an interesting way of reflecting the events of the game.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ooh, sounds interesting. I'll give that a read.

I love scenes in isekai that are from perspectives other than the MC that commentate on the MC and offer an outside perspective of what their actions look like to the people around them.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Onean posted:

Portal fantasy's been around forever, but the 90s had a lot of famous girl-focused isekai joints: Rayearth, Fushigi Yuugi, Escaflowne, Twelve Kingdoms, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles if you squint. Even the early 00s had generic JRPGish isekai BL stuff like Kyou Kara Maou.

Otome isekai's picking up steam since the Narou content beast is an insatiable Moloch and women are just as avid consumers of nerd media as men.

E: Also the wish fulfillment of "lovable, powerful and willful woman" is way less disgusting than "murderhobo slavemonger."

MadRhetoric fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 6, 2019

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

MadRhetoric posted:

E: Also the wish fulfillment of "lovable, powerful and willful woman" is way less disgusting than "murderhobo slavemonger."

It also starts out in an automatically better position, since being the villain slated for death makes you the underdog by definition, and gives an immediate goal to work towards.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

SpiritOfLenin posted:

When I first read Bakarina I was instantly hooked, its just so charming. Katarina is an incredibly likable protagonist, and its pretty easy to see how pretty much everyone besides her mother are completely in love with her - and despite being a reincarnation, Katarina doesn't have any cheat skills or special knowledge besides some half-baked memories, she's just someone who is a pretty good person and a bit of an idiot. She's so caught up fretting about the future that she fails to notice that she becomes an entirely different person from the Katarina in the game,

The anime adaptation could have some fun by making her keep sounding like a generic haughty noble type, in spite of how she acts.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Otome Isekais also have the advantage of not having the protagonist get shoved into say, oh I don't know, a bunnygirl or a nun habit or swimsuit for some reason. Granted, the few I've seen have mostly just been focused on the 'deny Fate and avoid my predetermined death' to go beyond anything else but still, that's a nice bonus on top of things.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Recommend me some good ones, preferably well-translated (or even native English), where the main character has an earth specialty that they put to good use in the other world. For my purposes, time travel also counts. Stuff like Honzuki and Jin are the best; I've also read Nobunaga No Chef and Isekai Izakaya Nobu, and I'll even accept Boku Wa Beatles. Release That Witch touches on a lot of what I like (and is also the barest minimum I have for readable translations) but it got a bit obsessed with how cool guns are. I also know there's the pharmacy one, which is okay but a bit too cheaty for my tastes since the main character has the ability to synthesize anything he knows the chemical composition of, which totally skips the part I consider most interesting, that of cobbling together the technology through magic/finding mundane fantasy equivalents/hacking together oversimplified makeshift versions of the tech.

Argue fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 6, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new Welcome to Japan, Elf-san

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Argue posted:

Recommend me some good ones, preferably well-translated (or even native English), where the main character has an earth specialty that they put to good use in the other world. For my purposes, time travel also counts. Stuff like Honzuki and Jin are the best; I've also read Nobunaga No Chef and Isekai Izakaya Nobu, and I'll even accept Boku Wa Beatles. Release That Witch touches on a lot of what I like (and is also the barest minimum I have for readable translations) but it got a bit obsessed with how cool guns are. I also know there's the pharmacy one, which is okay but a bit too cheaty for my tastes since the main character has the ability to synthesize anything he knows the chemical composition of, which totally skips the part I consider most interesting, that of cobbling together the technology through magic/finding mundane fantasy equivalents/hacking together oversimplified makeshift versions of the tech.

These aren't quite what you're looking for, there's not a lot of struggling with mismatched eras of progress, but they might be close enough.

I Opened Up a Cafe In a Different World
An office worker who likes to cook wakes up in another world and is told that she's here for a reason, but not what that reason is. Having nothing to go on aside from the fact that food tastes terrible, she decides to open a cafe. This one's pretty chill, a toolmaker is pretty easily able to make a magical mixer for example, but I like the MC and most of the supporting cast.

Cooking in Another World (Isekai Ryouridou)
A family restaurant is set on fire by a greedy business group that's looking to open a mall on their property, after putting the restaurant owner in the hospital after running him over with a pickup. The owner's son runs into the burning restaurant to save an all-important knife and wakes up in an unknown forest. He's chased by something similar to a boar and rescued by Ai Fa, a member of a tribal people that hunt in the forest. I like that this one focuses more on cultural differences. The people are refugees who left their homeland a couple generations ago and are basically being taken advantage of, being restricted on what they're allowed to use from the forest. (The giba, basically huge boars with horns and a serious penchant for overpopulation, and what the giba eat.) It's pretty easy to view this from an "WhiteAsian Man's Burden" lens, but I feel the MC respects the people's traditions well, aside from their practice of only using the legs of the giba for food.

Handyman Saitou
Saitou, a handyman in our world, is transported to your standard fantasy game-ish world, where he finds his skills are particularly suitable to the responsibilities of a party's rogue. This one's more story-of-the-episode, with basically no overarching plot. Just some simple fun.

Drop!! ~A Tale of the Fragrance Princess~
During a serious fever, Cordelia realizes that she had been reincarnated as an antagonist from an otome game she played. Deciding that she may as well take advantage of the situation and live the fantasy life, she takes her studies seriously and tries to avoid the Prince, who was the key factor in her becoming the villain in the game. Deciding that only focusing on her studies would be boring, she also takes advantage of the specialty of the noble house she reincarnated into and pursues herbology, specifically cosmetics and mild medicine in her case, something she studied from our world.

--------

Originally came here to post this. It's good. :3:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Thanks, checked them all out! Well, I'd already read the Fragrance Princess one but anyway.

Cute, scratches the same itch as Izakaya Nobu.

Pretty close to being exactly what I want! Could do without all the fanservice but it does the thing where the MC has to figure out what fantasy ingredients correspond to what earth ingredients, which is great. WN translation I read was pretty bad though so I'm stuck with the manga.

A bit too one-off for me, unfortunately.

Also kind of okay, although not very detailed and her struggles are more social than scientific.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
You're welcome.

Argue posted:

Pretty close to being exactly what I want! Could do without all the fanservice but it does the thing where the MC has to figure out what fantasy ingredients correspond to what earth ingredients, which is great. WN translation I read was pretty bad though so I'm stuck with the manga.

If it isn't what you're talking about regarding the bad translation, there is an official LN translation under the name Cooking with Wild Game. There's one volume out, which ends around chapter 7 of the manga, plus an extra chapter from another character's perspective. The next volume is out in about a week.

Onean fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 6, 2019

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Argue posted:

The LN translation was very good, but Skythewood pulled it offline since it got picked up by J-Novel. But ugh, Wild Game is one of my favorite isekai stories ever but the manga adaptation is just terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Jin

Brain surgeon gets sent back to the Edo period, medical hijinks and dysentery ensue.