Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

My platonic ideal of pitching categories are IPs, ERA, WHIP, and K/9. I think that values SPs and RPs fairly while using actual meaningful pitching metrics instead of silly things like wins and saves.

A full RP squad dominates this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think you also have to tailor your scoring cats to how big you want your "viable" player pool to be. It's like how PPR settings change the player pool in fantasy football a ton.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

A full RP squad dominates this

You can do this but you're basically full punting IPs. With 10 P slots I usually try to get 3 good SPs and the rest relievers, which seems about right to me.

That said I did love the days when Randy Johnson could singlehandedly win you 4 of 5 pitching categories.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

bewbies posted:

You can do this but you're basically full punting IPs.
Yeah but you can be fearsome at the other three categories without even having to invest high picks in them.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

on another note, espn's new site is beyond trash. they gotta get this nonsense fixed soon. boyd's performance isn't even showing up for me, no active stats pages, the fantasycast doesn't work after 5min, and even when it does the layout makes zero sense

just atrocious

It's ugly, slow, and clunky. I seriously hate it. Cant believe I'm saying this but Yahoo is wayyyyy better than ESPN now.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Abel Wingnut posted:

he does look improved at the plate

It’s five games, lol

No doubt he has first round upside but he also has a Buxton-esque floor. I’m glad you like your guy and all but I think most valuations don’t have those two players very far apart.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
With the way more and more managers are using their best relievers in the highest leverage situations instead of saving them for the 9th, chasing saves is becoming a huge pain in the rear end.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Monday_ posted:

With the way more and more managers are using their best relievers in the highest leverage situations instead of saving them for the 9th, chasing saves is becoming a huge pain in the rear end.

Agreed.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Monday_ posted:

It does often lead to winning Holds sort of by accident though.

But if you're playing without Holds, it is indeed a terrible headache.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Christian Walker, the guy who replaced Goldy in AZ, is off to a hot start. Anything to see here? Guy hit 32 bombs in AAA a couple years ago.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Pussy Boss posted:

Christian Walker, the guy who replaced Goldy in AZ, is off to a hot start. Anything to see here? Guy hit 32 bombs in AAA a couple years ago.

The FG blurb on him last year said "Walker would likely provide plus power and an acceptable batting average if he found a starting role, but that's unlikely to come to fruition in 2018."

Might be worth chasing? The complete lack of hype seems like a sign though.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
They said the same thing about Mike Trout and look how he turned out

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Simpsons Reference posted:

They said the same thing about Mike Trout and look how he turned out

Mike Trout was the #1 or #2 prospect in baseball (depending on which list you looked at) when he got called up

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

You prove those doubters wrong, Mike!

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I’ve been offered Chris Sale for Trevor Bauer today. My first ever fantasy league so I have no idea how to judge this :o:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Chris Sale has been super elite the last several years but there's been some red flags with him this season, most notably a drop in pitch speed. This person is trying to offload the risk of Sale onto you and I don't think it's worth taking given that Bauer has recently reached elite status himself. Even if Sale bounces back and has another typical year, the K/9 is a little bit better than Bauer but he's not necessarily going to be better overall.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Thanks! Yeah seems like the data just isn't there for Sale yet, and I'm hesitant to make changes a week in as it is, especially since Bauer's probably my best starter right now.

Does it make sense for me to also be hesitant because I already have a Red Sox SP, on the basis that having two means fewer innings pitched for my team, since they can't both be starting on a given day? Or am I missing something there?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I would hold Bauer. Sale's fastball velocity/total lack of whiffs on it is incredibly concerning.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
And if nothing else Bauer has the shittier lineups to face most starts

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I prefer Sale, but I'm a little concerned, so I'd go with health. Just keep Bauer away from drones.

I missed a trade offer sent to me. My AJ Pollock and Jordan Hicks for his Charlie Blackmon and Jacob Junis. I think I'm going to try to work something out because hell yes

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Monday_ posted:

I still have 0 saves.

gently caress relief pitching.

I very shrewdly and intelligently dropped Shane Greene for Archie Bradley in every league about a week before the season began. I am smart and not bitter at all about it.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
My team, the Commies, has both Freddie Galvis and Brad Hand. Tonight, Commies worked together to keep Trevor Bauer sad. It's perfect really.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Was sale/Bauer a 1:1 trade? Wanna be wary of those to begin with but just curious

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah, just straight up Sale for Bauer.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Just want to give a shoutout to Yahoo for its asinine 6 pickup limit for March 20th through April 6. I could really use a pickup with Gennett clearing waivers. I'm so used to roto.

At least it's better than ESPN

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

i petitioned my commissioner to raise the moves limit for this long "week," and he did, from 4 to 6, and then he will lower it back for the regular length week after. Seems fully customizable, unless "6" is the max setting for using the Weekly Moves Limit at all, in which case maybe it can be turned off for the week if 6 is not enough.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

i petitioned my commissioner to raise the moves limit for this long "week," and he did, from 4 to 6, and then he will lower it back for the regular length week after. Seems fully customizable, unless "6" is the max setting for using the Weekly Moves Limit at all, in which case maybe it can be turned off for the week if 6 is not enough.

The max (outside of "no maximum") is 25

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

To me, 6 is fine for one week. Make them valuable enough to have to manage then as well as somewhat discouraging streamers.

But for over two weeks, it should be 12.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/alannarizzo/status/1113218202534785024

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

gently caress that sucks

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

fawning deference posted:

gently caress that sucks

I'm not worried as a Urias owner. The Dodgers have several injury-prone SPs and they love to phantom DL IL their pitchers too. He'll rejoin the rotation at some point, and as an RP, he might just turn into a Hader-esque long relief ace. Hold hold hold.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Is Urias' Twitter private?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I posted this in the main N/V thread and while I assume everybody here reads that here's an interesting report:

https://twitter.com/No_Little_Plans/status/1114219849205669888

Those "weird power spikes" from dudes in the early going might be more sustainable than you think?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
There were like 3,266 instances of Statcast™️ measuring the HARDEST BALL [PLAYER X] has EVER hit in the first two days of baseball so I’ve been waitin for the juiced ball shoe to drop

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Oooof got offered Archer and Matt carpenter for Bauer. Interesting but I think that’s a no right? 10 tm h2h points league. Won’t post the full scoring but Pitchers matter a bunch

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I might do a 2 for 1 like that in a 14 team league with nothing but trash on the waiver wire. Not in a 10-teamer though, unless you really love Carp.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

the_american_dream posted:

Oooof got offered Archer and Matt carpenter for Bauer. Interesting but I think that’s a no right? 10 tm h2h points league. Won’t post the full scoring but Pitchers matter a bunch

Bauer is the best player in the deal, and I am a little nervous about Archer.

So, no from me.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The ideal fantasy baseball league only lists dingers as a countable stat

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Twin Cinema posted:

Bauer is the best player in the deal, and I am a little nervous about Archer.

So, no from me.

If you could count on Carpenter making another second half push like last year, but you can't. Archer has too many questions and Bauer seems on the cusp of greatness. Then when you factor in the ten team league, hard pass. First and third pretty deep this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Doltos posted:

The ideal fantasy baseball league only lists dingers as a countable stat

idk only five people joined it so it must not have been that ideal :sigh: