Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

darkgray posted:

J-Novel Club has now licensed the Bookworm LN too: https://j-novel.club/c/ascendance-of-a-bookworm/search

https://twitter.com/Mr_Quof/status/1107206242043416576

Looks like it'll be coming out fast.

Everything Blastron touches gets licensed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Lamquin posted:

Oooh, that's some great news. He mentions he intends to translate at "a rate of one volume per two months-ish" - at what volume are the current translations (chapter 100)?

Part one is 3 volumes, part two is 5 volumes, so chapter 100 is around volume 4.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding Bookworm, can someone spoiler for me whether or not Maine's family ever find out about their daughter having been replaced by another person? I remember that the boy finds out and comes to terms with it by realizing he never really knew the pre-transmigration Maine anyways, but I always found that aspect of "btw your daughter/sister is actually dead and her body is inhabited by a different person" kinda hosed up.

They do not. A few other characters do, but not her family.

Lamquin posted:

Oooh, that's some great news. He mentions he intends to translate at "a rate of one volume per two months-ish" - at what volume are the current translations (chapter 100)?

I'm not sure exactly what volume chapter 100 falls in, but I'm pretty sure it's volume 4.

Just for reference as to how much is left, the Japanese print version is currently up to 18 books (plus a side story collection), and hasn't even reached part 5 of the story yet.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bakanogami posted:

They do not. A few other characters do, but not her family.

That's kinda sad. Original Maine just died without her family ever even knowing or caring. :smith:

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding Bookworm, can someone spoiler for me whether or not Maine's family ever find out about their daughter having been replaced by another person? I remember that the boy finds out and comes to terms with it by realizing he never really knew the pre-transmigration Maine anyways, but I always found that aspect of "btw your daughter/sister is actually dead and her body is inhabited by a different person" kinda hosed up.

I always took it as her remembering her past life.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When you think about it all the only difference between otome game villainess stories where they remember their past life and stuff like Honzuki where they find themselves in a new body while possessing its memories is the presentation. It's the same thing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

drilldo squirt posted:

I always took it as her remembering her past life.

I think that's a bit of a stretch, since in this case the person obviously primarily identifies as their previous life self and chronologically perceives events as "was living in Japan -> suddenly in body of fantasy world child." It's also effectively the same thing as "killing" off the person in question, since the "knowledge of their past life" (if you want to interpret it that way, though "past" is kind of a weird interpretation when it's a separate world/universe) completely changes who they are as a person.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
What's good about this one?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Jackard posted:

What's good about this one?

it's sort of the granddaddy of the whole current jp isekai genre craze I think. It was released way back in like 2012 and translated pretty soon after, pretty sure it's been super popular in most of the intervening years too

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Ytlaya posted:

I think that's a bit of a stretch, since in this case the person obviously primarily identifies as their previous life self and chronologically perceives events as "was living in Japan -> suddenly in body of fantasy world child." It's also effectively the same thing as "killing" off the person in question, since the "knowledge of their past life" (if you want to interpret it that way, though "past" is kind of a weird interpretation when it's a separate world/universe) completely changes who they are as a person.

Well, that makes it a lot weirder.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Argas posted:

Everything Blastron touches gets licensed.

If it means it gets translated quickly, I'm all for this.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Word from the author's blog is that "Myne" is the spelling they settled on.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Bakanogami posted:

Word from the author's blog is that "Myne" is the spelling they settled on.

That's decent and probably gets across the intended pronunciation better. I couldn't help but read it like the state of Maine even though I tend to default to using Japanese syllables to read names and such in fiction.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I was expecting something along the lines of Mhaynhe.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cynic Jester posted:

I was expecting something along the lines of Mhaynhe.

Don't worry, Myne's only one of more than 500 made up pseudo-german names that will have to be romanized. I'm certain we'll have a chance to get something really ridiculous at some point.

https://www8.atwiki.jp/booklove/pages/276.html

Here's the Japanese wiki page on all the names in the series and their suspected origins and spellings, just to give you an idea of how many there are. No spoilers unless you can read Japanese.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Argas posted:

That's decent and probably gets across the intended pronunciation better. I couldn't help but read it like the state of Maine even though I tend to default to using Japanese syllables to read names and such in fiction.

As far as looking like something from northern Europe goes, it's pretty bad tho. I can see it working as a guide for English natives, but pronouncing "Myne" in a Germanic-ish way definitely does not produce the right word. I don't actually think that "y" sound exists in modern English, and definitely not in Japanese.
Well whatever.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

nielsm posted:

As far as looking like something from northern Europe goes, it's pretty bad tho. I can see it working as a guide for English natives, but pronouncing "Myne" in a Germanic-ish way definitely does not produce the right word. I don't actually think that "y" sound exists in modern English, and definitely not in Japanese.
Well whatever.

Probably not for the real intended sound, no.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
In FoD news Ling Qi aquired her ice type pokemon

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

And that will also get rid of a lot of the Water Element in her build, replacing it with Cold.

Finally.

I will miss Zeqing though, that was really sad.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I thought there were practical limits to the number of spirits a lower level cultivator could reasonably hold in their dantian. Isn't 3 kinda pushing it for someone at Ling Qi's level? I don't think we've seen anyone else around her level with that many.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
We have absurd Qi reserves because of EPC and some pills we got. Multiple spirit beasts is unusual but we can sustain it fine.

Bikindok
May 3, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I thought there were practical limits to the number of spirits a lower level cultivator could reasonably hold in their dantian. Isn't 3 kinda pushing it for someone at Ling Qi's level? I don't think we've seen anyone else around her level with that many.
We haven't seen anyone our level with as much Qi as we have. Bullying Yan Renshu for pills wasn't just because it was funny.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Ytlaya posted:

It is but we probably have one of the deepest Qi pools of our level plus we have arts that drain qi to replenish our stuff so it works out on top of giving out buffs to allies. When our turtle snake wakes up from his nap our spirit goon squad is gonna be three greens good luck trying to win a duel against THAT

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Her name is literally Qi it's like asking why Richie Rich has so much money

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Its Rinaldo posted:

It is but we probably have one of the deepest Qi pools of our level plus we have arts that drain qi to replenish our stuff so it works out on top of giving out buffs to allies. When our turtle snake wakes up from his nap our spirit goon squad is gonna be three greens good luck trying to win a duel against THAT

It will be glorious to be in a "duel" against someone, only to unveil our fully ready adventuring party complete with tank, dps, and supports.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Been reading Mother of Learning on Royal Road lately. It's very Western but surprisingly well written.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mol ss still updating, but only about 1 chapter a month. so, even though it's into the endgame now it'll probably still take a couple years to finish.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

mol ss still updating, but only about 1 chapter a month. so, even though it's into the endgame now it'll probably still take a couple years to finish.

There are only a few chapters left. Its supposed to end at around chapter 100.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 26, 2019

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Are any of the jnovel club books worth paying $5 to read all the way through in one month?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Fallorn posted:

Are any of the jnovel club books worth paying $5 to read all the way through in one month?

There's only like 2 or 3 series I would ever consider on J-Novel Club. They have waaaay too many really lovely isekai on the service. Not even the good isekai, just the absolute worst ones. Apparently you can just pay for one month for $5, then buy a bunch of premium tokens and grab the epubs you want. Then, wait a couple months for the next batch.

I'm waiting until next month to do that. By that time they should have two volumes of Cooking with Wild Game.

I would just normally pick up Kindle version from Amazon or wherever, but what really sucks is that they only include the side stories in the premium epubs. So that means you either really enjoy reading lovely isekai every month, or you have to cheat the system and buy the premium epubs in bulk a few times a year.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Don't give me too many details but does Maine ever enact social change on top of her inventions? Because boy (Arc 3) I just read ch 232 and the nobles sure are cavalier with the lives of people. It's probably too much to hope for that she overturn the entire hierarchy but is she at least going to tell the nobles "hey maybe don't charge people for just 'disobeying nobility' and don't mass execute villages for treason and for god's sake don't execute people by turning them into stone"? Maybe I've been spoiled by novels where the main characters are less compromising with their morals but she just seems so acquiescent to everything.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

Don't give me too many details but does Maine ever enact social change on top of her inventions? Because boy (Arc 3) I just read ch 232 and the nobles sure are cavalier with the lives of people. It's probably too much to hope for that she overturn the entire hierarchy but is she at least going to tell the nobles "hey maybe don't charge people for just 'disobeying nobility' and don't mass execute villages for treason and for god's sake don't execute people by turning them into stone"? Maybe I've been spoiled by novels where the main characters are less compromising with their morals but she just seems so acquiescent to everything.

That whole arc is kind of awkward and traumatizing for both Maine and the reader. To give light spoilers without going into too much detail: she makes some efforts to be a voice for the people in the short term in stuff like the part where they clean up the slums, and in the long run she plans to set up schools that serve both nobles and the merchant class to provide a place for them to interact and gradually close the difference between nobles and peasants. A lot of that doesn't come until the end/after the end of the story, though. In part 3 she doesn't really have any real political power, and part 4 and 5 largely take place in the school where there's not much interaction with non-nobles.

It is something I wish they'd gone into more, though, and that's one of the few arcs in the series I dislike.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Okay, that's satisfactory enough for me to keep reading; I just wouldn't have been comfortable if I knew she wasn't going to end up challenging the status quo at all, since the extent to which she's doing it currently is taking credit as the savior of the village for reducing their punishment from "slaughter the whole village" to "execute 6 people and raise taxes on everyone else".

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone read The Wandering Inn? Two years old and still updating. I just found it, and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, but the version on RoyalRoad isn't just a straight copy of the wordpress version. So far I'm liking the wordpress version better because it does a better job of explaining things and setting the stage, and I'm wondering which version the author prefers.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I’m current on TWI and even a Patreon subscriber so that I can read a post ahead. If you want to have a real conversation about it, I suggest the English language Web Serial thread in the Book Barn. I’ve only read the original version so I can’t comment on the Royal Road or Amazon versions.

It’s a good story. The author’s prose isn’t amazing but the story is entertaining and the slice of life chapters in particular are fun to read. Book 5, which just wrapped up, dragged a bit and the author kinda got lost pulling a bunch of plots together but 6 looks like it’s going to open up the world a little bit. Skip the weird sex chapter when you get to it, it was originally written as a joke and is entirely extraneous and frankly unnecessary.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Yeah, TWI is actually what I was referring to just a few posts up when I was expressing frustration with Maine being unable to change the status quo in her own novel. My main problem with the prose is an over-reliance on particular narrative techniques and idioms, which makes it sound amateurish sometimes, but that's small potatoes compared to the overall product, which I love. The characters are great, and for me I think it finds my ideal balance between slice of life antics and high fantasy adventure.

I would recommend reading the Wordpress version on wanderinginn.com because sometimes the author plays with the web format a little to shake things up. For instance, we learn that one character's memory was wiped of some information, and if you go back to the chapter where that wipe happened, the information that was wiped is actually right there in spoilered text. I just checked the RR version and although it has some of the text color changes, it doesn't do that. Don't worry, the gimmick stuff is used very sparingly.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

LLSix posted:

Anyone read The Wandering Inn? Two years old and still updating. I just found it, and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, but the version on RoyalRoad isn't just a straight copy of the wordpress version. So far I'm liking the wordpress version better because it does a better job of explaining things and setting the stage, and I'm wondering which version the author prefers.

It's discussed in the Web Serial thread on an update-to-update basis.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

There are only a few chapters left. Its supposed to end at around chapter 100.
I'm still thinking that Zorian will have to end up consuming an energy field bigger than his head sealing the Primordial with a soul fusion ritual. Narrative causality needs things to ramp way up, and you can't have that without the eldritch horror actually just sitting in its prison.

Algid fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 6, 2019

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Anyone reading Mao Ni’s (Ze Tian Ji/Way of Choices) next book The Path Toward Heaven?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012
Yeah. It is very slow to get started and I didn´t find the cultivation sect conspiracy setup to be as interesting as the political intrigue of woc. That said it is still as well written, I found pretty much all the characters to be lakable and interesting the worldbuilding is well done and it has some interesting thoughts on cultivation novels.