Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Friend Computer sounds like your group's GM, obviously

"GM"?

That sounds like commie poo poo to me!

Get him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

My real question is what the hell brought Mark Rein*Hagan to live in Georgia? Did he just get on the wrong plane coming home from a con and didn't realize for months, and at that point he'd bought a house?

Yeah, I had the same question when I hear he'd moved from Georgia the state to Georgia the country. He was there during the war in 2008, too, so he packed up right after he sold his WW shares if Wikipedia is to be believed.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I had the same question when I hear he'd moved from Georgia the state to Georgia the country. He was there during the war in 2008, too, so he packed up right after he sold his WW shares if Wikipedia is to be believed.
Like is this a cost of living thing?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
He's done political and non-profit work in former Eastern Bloc countries campaigning for more equitable democracies. It's the trump card he kept pulling during the "Punching Nazis won't get the political change you want." blowup. His wife is also Georgian, and he says it was partially to get away from a particular flavor of gaming nerds harassing/stalking him in the US.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Nuns with Guns posted:

He's done political and non-profit work in former Eastern Bloc countries campaigning for more equitable democracies. It's the trump card he kept pulling during the "Punching Nazis won't get the political change you want." blowup. His wife is also Georgian, and he says it was partially to get away from a particular flavor of gaming nerds harassing/stalking him in the US.
Is there a German word for that feeling when someone you dislike turns out to be doing decent things, by and large?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
freudenschade

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I assume he's terrible at it, if that helps.

"Just tell them you want democracy and if that doesn't work, turn the other - oh, they've already clubbed that side too."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Well he made a middling board game about it, if you want an idea of his views. It was only two years late on the projected release from its kickstarter.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Someone can do good and laudable things and still be a moron otherwise.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Dawgstar posted:

This but sometimes he gets his words wrong and the Troubleshooters have to wonder if they should correct him.

I always heard it more as Holly.

"They're all dead, Dave."

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

I always heard it more as Holly.

"They're all dead, Dave."

I've been imagining the world's most generic sounding lady who remains slightly perky but perfectly calm at all times. Like the safety videos you get on planes.

But now I'm only ever going to hear Holly.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
My favorite take on Friend Computer is that it sounds like pretty much anything or anyone from moment to moment, even changing gender and intonation within a sentence. It may start a conversation sounding like a Speak N' Spell and end it sounding like GladOS. Or vice-versa.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'd love to run Friend Computer by pre-programming a set of 50 or so stock phrases into a TTS programme including the obvious ones like yes, no, maybe, that is above your clearance level, etc, but also a selection of inspirational quotes, both the real ones and those super depressing AI generated ones, and just playing a random one whenever a question was asked, or, you know, I felt like it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

I'd love to run Friend Computer by pre-programming a set of 50 or so stock phrases into a TTS programme including the obvious ones like yes, no, maybe, that is above your clearance level, etc, but also a selection of inspirational quotes, both the real ones and those super depressing AI generated ones, and just playing a random one whenever a question was asked, or, you know, I felt like it.

A Paranoia soundboard app would be excellent.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s like the sharp turn of perky pre-rampancy SHODAN welcoming you to Citadel Station, and the creepy, glitchy menace she becomes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I always liked the idea that Friend Computer would have a vocal tic similar to Max Headroom's... you know, kind of a tendency to loop a word or syllable two or three times, due to glitches.

Are you Ha-Ha-Ha-Happy, Citizen? Happiness is Ma-a-a-aaaaandatory! tory!

e. Or basically the computer in the movie Moon is Friend Computer, more or less. Complete with the actually-genuinely-helpful but also security protocols, capability of deception, and other sinister undertones.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 5, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

homullus posted:

A Paranoia soundboard app would be excellent.

The Paranoia XP GM screen is covered in fortune cookie Computer quotes on the outside and it is EXCELLENT for setting the mood. I used it with a bunch of new players and they got the idea instantly just from this text telling them about new improved Bouncy Bubble Beverage.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Before GladOS, I often imagined Friend Computer sounded like the one in Logan's Run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFkrLsxEhic

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

e. Or basically the computer in the movie Moon is Friend Computer, more or less. Complete with the actually-genuinely-helpful but also security protocols, capability of deception, and other sinister undertones.

GERTY was more of a subversion of that evil computer concept since in the end it overrides its programming to actually help the hero instead of serving the sinister mission that the corporation that build it gave it.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

friend computer sounds like your mom, different for everyone

or tim sniffen from hello from the magic tavern

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Plutonis posted:

GERTY was more of a subversion of that evil computer concept since in the end it overrides its programming to actually help the hero instead of serving the sinister mission that the corporation that build it gave it.

Yeah, I know, but I intentionally didn't mention that, because it'd be a spoiler, lol

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I always imagined Friend Computer having the voice of Eddie, the Heart of Gold’s shipboard computer, from the Hitcherhiker’s Guide radio program.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
At this point Friend Computer genuinely intending to be helpful but being endlessly hampered by its own lovely/evil programming would probably be a bigger subversion/parody than the original take on it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Roadie posted:

At this point Friend Computer genuinely intending to be helpful but being endlessly hampered by its own lovely/evil programming would probably be a bigger subversion/parody than the original take on it.

I mean, that basically is the take. Friend Computer genuinely believes it is trying to help you and genuinely wants you to be happy.

It's just also been programmed to be paranoid, blase about death and terrified of many things, and also is buggy as poo poo.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

I mean, that basically is the take. Friend Computer genuinely believes it is trying to help you and genuinely wants you to be happy.

It's just also been programmed to be paranoid, blase about death and terrified of many things, and also is buggy as poo poo.
It doesn't help that High Programmers all have their own agendas and rivalries, the Computer Phreaks like messing with code just because they can, PURGE keeps blowing up the infrastructures, and of course there's that algae tank leaking into Compnode 98G/f.4. But don't worry, TechServ is going to get to that soon. Next Threesday at the latest.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Clearly what Friend Computer sounds like should depend on how well-maintained the local infrastructure it runs on is.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Nuns with Guns posted:

particular flavor of gaming nerds harassing/stalking him in the US.

I wonder what that was. People mad about Changing Breeds? People that believed all the poo poo in Deliria and wanted him to introduce them to the cool fairies? People making fun of his asterisk?

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I think you’re thinking of Phil Brucato, who is probably more likely to the stalker/harasser. Rein*hagen might have been bothered by some of the same goth types that used to bother Anne Rice, basically wanting their scene to be real.

He’s still a douche though.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Makes you wonder how Stephen King deals with it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Cocaine. I'm assuming cocaine.

Edit : This is also how I assume he deals with the mail arriving or the rising of the sun.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

Cocaine. I'm assuming cocaine.

Edit : This is also how I assume he deals with the mail arriving or the rising of the sun.
That's how he used to deal with it, but then he got clean. Apparently he doesn't remember writing Cujo!

I think now he has a stout fence and also still lives in Maine, so nobody can find him without getting eaten by the Wendigo or Paul LePage.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Fine you win. He did stop at some point.

Now he probably get really, really angry at vans.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Nessus posted:

That's how he used to deal with it, but then he got clean. Apparently he doesn't remember writing Cujo!

I think now he has a stout fence and also still lives in Maine, so nobody can find him without getting eaten by the Wendigo or Paul LePage.

Yeah I believe he still lives in Bangor, which means no one survives the frozen trek to stalk him.

Seriously I've been to Bangor it's not great

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Evil Mastermind posted:

It doesn't help that High Programmers all have their own agendas and rivalries, the Computer Phreaks like messing with code just because they can, PURGE keeps blowing up the infrastructures, and of course there's that algae tank leaking into Compnode 98G/f.4. But don't worry, TechServ is going to get to that soon. Next Threesday at the latest.

White Box had a neat take on this: it’s a late stage civilisation and everything is running out. But no-one ever programmed The Computer to allow for there being no metal in the mines or no oil in the derricks (because what would they have it do, just say goodbye?)

It therefore thinks that the dwindling returns it’s getting from basic resources are symptoms of sabotage or laziness and, since it’s affecting everything, there must be some huge conspiracy against it...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

hyphz posted:

White Box had a neat take on this: it’s a late stage civilisation and everything is running out. But no-one ever programmed The Computer to allow for there being no metal in the mines or no oil in the derricks (because what would they have it do, just say goodbye?)

It therefore thinks that the dwindling returns it’s getting from basic resources are symptoms of sabotage or laziness and, since it’s affecting everything, there must be some huge conspiracy against it...
One of the old books (I think the DOA Travelogue?) had a metal mining operation that's been just mining dirt and rocks for years, because the mines are pitch black due to the lights being off (they have Infrareds mining, turns out metal ore isn't something they can see at their security clearance) and nobody bothering to check what's actually being mined and processed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hyphz posted:

And just when you thought Paranoia's style of satire had been tapped out...

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And just when you thought Paranoia's style of satire had been tapped out...
It is, White Box is pretty bad thanks to behind the scenes shenanigans and just a general sense of not knowing what the hell to make so it has no real audience.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hostile V posted:

It is, White Box is pretty bad thanks to behind the scenes shenanigans and just a general sense of not knowing what the hell to make so it has no real audience.

Xp is still the best edition. It feels a little outdated due to some of the humour being now 15 years old, but the core mechanics/setting/everything hold up fine.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I eagerly await Vampire XP, in which fifth edition is thrown away and forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

I eagerly await Vampire XP, in which fifth edition is thrown away and forgotten.

Does that mean the last book of VtM 5e will be an unfunny parody of Paranoia?