Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Combat Obscura - interesting docu, kind of like platoon minus the narrative emotional story that hooks you. It still flowed fine but it was a lot of barely related scenes, which is cool, just unusual. 3/5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

In the Bleak Midwinter (1995, Kenneth Branagh) [DVD] - 3.5/5
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1941, Victor Fleming) [DVD] - 2/5
Laugh, Clown, Laugh (1928, Herbert Brenon) [DVD] - 3/5
Dragonslayer (1981, Matthew Robbins) [DVD] - 4/5
The Band Wagon (1953, Vincente Minelli) [DVD] - 4/5
The Daughter of Dawn (1920, Norbert Myles) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Little Annie Rooney (1925, William Beaudine) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
The Dark Crystal (1982, Jim Henson/Frank Oz) [UHD] - 4.5/5
My Man Godfrey (1936, Gregory La Cava) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5

Mostly trying to watch the last few unwatched DVDs I've had for the longest time. (Down to just the 1956 William Wyler film Friendly Persuasion)

In the Bleak Midwinter (aka A Midwinter's Tale) is a quirky little comedy centered around a small theatre troupe putting on a low budget performance of Hamlet. It starts off somewhat documentary-like, but slowly evolves into a passionate sort of farce. I thought it was quite funny and it was also shot in black and white, which gives it sort of a unique look (not that it was necessary).

While I think the 1931 Rouben Mamoulian/Fredric March Jekyll & Hyde is a great film, the glossy MGM remake frankly sucks. Mamoulian used all sorts of neat camera tricks like POV shots, long mobile takes, split screens, montages - plus it had a fantastic dual performance by March, as well as a memorable one by Miriam Hopkins. This tries to be more Freudian, but ends up just looking silly. Spencer Tracy overacts, Ingrid Bergman is horribly miscast as an Irish woman. Meh.

Laugh, Clown, Laugh is an alright Lon Chaney film. It really doesn't have much going on, but he has a nice part. I will give the film some slack since the surviving version is incomplete. It does have the "But I am Pagalicci" line, which is kind of funny.

I've been on a bit of an 80s fantasy kick and Dragonslayer is a lot of fun. I was expecting something a bit grating, but I was surprised to see a terrific lead performance by Peter MacNicol. This would have probably been one of my favorite movies as a kid.

The Band Wagon is another MGM musical I actually liked! While it does kind of meander a bit, I have found that I've yet to see a Fred Astaire film I didn't enjoy. This has some great sequences and it certainly makes use of Technicolor. It's also amusing to see such a blatantly gay character in an early 50s film.

The Daughter of Dawn isn't that interesting on its own, but it is the earliest surviving feature made in Oklahoma and starring entirely Native Americans. More of a curiosity, but still a decent film.

Little Annie Rooney is the first Mary Pickford film I've seen and while it's entertaining, I do fine Pickford playing a 12 year old to be kind of weird. But it does have some great sequences and one scene is particularly heartbreaking, though I would imagine the average goon would laugh at it. :v:

I had seen The Dark Crystal a few times as a kid, but I didn't remember much, so it's more or less fresh to me now. WOW. I've always been a fan of anything Jim Henson worked on, but this is a gorgeous, creative fantasy. It has this persistent dream-like feel to it. There's this darkness, but plenty of levity. Oswald Morris' photography is just splendid - Henson must have been itching for a while to use Panavision after working in TV for so long. Trevor Jones' score is particularly amazing, with hints of Janacek and Bruckner. (Also, I get the feeling James Cameron got more than just a little inspiration for Avatar from this).

My Man Godfrey was something I saw back in college, but I didn't really remember anything from it. One of the best 30s comedies. William Powell and Carole Lombard are hilarious (as are Alice Brady and Gail Patrick). This also has plenty of my favorite character actors of the time - Eugene Pallette, Micha Auer, Franklin Pangborn, and Grady Sutton (who gets one of the best bits in the whole film).

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
The Circle

2/5

I read the book years ago which is fantastic and charming in its paranoia surrounding the social media age and invasion of privacy. The movie however contains nothing of what made the book enjoyable and basically plays out like an overly long episode of Black Mirror.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Us - 87/100

Symbolic and fairly clever 'un-horror' film that's pretty relevant to our capitalist nightmare and is bound to be misinterpreted by many.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Us - A+

I thought this movie was fascinating and excellent. Jordan Peele is terrific, all of the actors are great, and I was literally on the edge of my seat in many parts. I've been thinking about it a lot over the last few days, given that the movie is rich with symbolism and intrigue.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
US - 5/5

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Us - 87/100

Symbolic and fairly clever 'un-horror' film that's pretty relevant to our capitalist nightmare and is bound to be misinterpreted by many.

I don't think it will be misinterpreted as much as many people will just take it as a surface level horror film without thinking about the socio-economic parable at all. Juxtaposed with Get Out's overt racism message that couldn't be missed, this one definitely has a lot more to chew on. It was fantastic though, really well crafted (even better than Get Out in that regard), great performances, and it stayed nice and tight and small in scope even when dealing with big ideas, which I always appreciate.

I'm really happy Peele said he's sticking in the broad horror genre for the foreseeable future. He is bringing freshness to the writing and directing that is sorely needed. The only person close to his technical skill is Ari Aster but his writing doesn't hold up at all. Eggers might be up there too, his new film this year will determine that for me.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 28, 2019

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Total Recall (1990) 8.5/10

I finally watched all of this for the first time in my life. I was a tad too young when it came out, and despite being a good SF nerd growing up, always missed out on this. So very dated and goofy (and kind of bland until he gets to the first hotel), there's still a lot of weirdness and Philip K Dick-based paranoia and twists that come out of it.

All the things I thought were going to be clichés or spoiled by pop culture for me turned out to be fine by the end. Verhoeven is really good at pulling off the tender affection (in a general, respect for all of the potentially gross stereotypes of non-Arnold characters way) for the people in his movies (except Troopers, but that had different motivations).

The effects are old, the plot does try to do all the dumb 'is this real?!' twist more than once, and some of the things are non-sensical just for show (Quaid's disguise at customs... he could have just wandered through, and how did he put it all together?), but drat if it isn't pretty amusing. I like weirdness and body horror and mindfucks, so it was a good showing overall.

SaviourX fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 30, 2019

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

If you think the movie leans on wacky twists, read the story

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I do like how even the film itself stops caring about what's real or not in the end. All that matters is that it feels real.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Cousin Jules - A

Watched this on MUBI during today's rainy afternoon. This film, the only feature from Dominique Benicheti, shows a "day" in the life of a rural French blacksmith/farmer in the late '60s. It was shot over the period of five years, so what's actually happening is that this is a day stitched together from years of footage. I don't think Benicheti is trying to deceive the audience; it's pretty clear from a major event midway through the film that this is a composite.

The cinematography is just incredible; the whole thing was shot on CinemaScope. It also has an early version of stereo sound. It's the best-looking film I've ever seen from this time period.

This Village Voice article covers it with the perfect headline: "Slow Down and Enjoy Cousin Jules." The film simultaneously entranced me and lulled me to sleep a couple of times. One of the more unfortunately-timed naps made me miss the death of Jules' wife, Félicie. Rewinding back to that lent the second half of the film a much different atmosphere.

It reminded me of an independent documentary I saw a few years ago, The Big Lonely, which nobody else on the planet has ever seen. There's a certain magic to really sitting with and living the details of someone else's life, especially someone whose life bears almost no relation whatsoever to your own.

I probably only watch one or two films on MUBI any given month, if that, but it's unique experiences like this one that makes the subscription worth it. Still, my main takeaway from watching is that I wish I were as good with a pocketknife as Jules is with his. Goddamn it's satisfying to watch him slice off a hunk of bread, smooth as silk.

edit: It was very fun to pair my weekend viewing of the above with The Ballad of Buster Scruggs today. That one gets a B+.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 1, 2019

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gaslight (1940, Thorwald Dickinson) [DVD - Netflix] - 3.5/5
Face to Face (1976, Ingmar Bergman) [DVD] - 3.5/5
Cast a Deadly Spell (1991, Martin Campbell) [Amazon Prime] - 3.5/5
Old Ironsides (1926, James Cruze) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5
To Sleep with Anger (1990, Charles Burnett) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5

The Fisher King (1991, Terry Gilliam) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
A Touch of Zen (1971, King Hu) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
The Awful Truth (1937, Leo McCarey) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Cease Fire! (1953, Owen Crump) [Blu-ray 3D] - 3/5
A New Leaf (1971, Elaine May) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
My Darling Clementine (1946, John Ford) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Theatre of Blood A

I'd never seen a Vincent Price film until the other week when I saw House on Haunted Hill and liked it, so I gave this a go. It was delightful.
It follows the same basic template as the slashers that would later explode in popularity, but the slasher isn't silent, in fact he never shuts the gently caress up. He's also a master of disguise. The kills are imaginative and cruelly ironic and Price is a joy as the jilted Shakespearean actor out for murderous revenge on his critics. The tone is a perfect balance of camp and dark.

We get a sword fight on trampolines here, people!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

Theatre of Blood A

I'd never seen a Vincent Price film until the other week when I saw House on Haunted Hill and liked it, so I gave this a go. It was delightful.
It follows the same basic template as the slashers that would later explode in popularity, but the slasher isn't silent, in fact he never shuts the gently caress up. He's also a master of disguise. The kills are imaginative and cruelly ironic and Price is a joy as the jilted Shakespearean actor out for murderous revenge on his critics. The tone is a perfect balance of camp and dark.

We get a sword fight on trampolines here, people!

You need to see The Raven - Roger Corman doing a comedic take on Poe while Price, Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre, and Jack Nicholson ad-lib for most of the movie. And the more serious House of Usher, Pit and the Pendulum, and Masque of the Red Death are all excellent, too. Pretty much all of Roger Corman's 60s films with Price are worth seeing.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

You need to see The Raven - Roger Corman doing a comedic take on Poe while Price, Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre, and Jack Nicholson ad-lib for most of the movie. And the more serious House of Usher, Pit and the Pendulum, and Masque of the Red Death are all excellent, too. Pretty much all of Roger Corman's 60s films with Price are worth seeing.

Thanks, will check it out!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
A slasher where the slasher never shuts the gently caress up is a great description of Theatre of Blood.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Guardians of the Galaxy: vol 2 (2017) dir. James Gunn 7.5/10 A lot better than the first
Doctor Strange (2016) dir. Scott Derrickson 5.5/10
The Incredible Hulk (2008) dir. Louis Letterier 4/10
Thor: The Dark World (2013) dir. Alan Taylor 4/10
Thor: Ragnarok (2017) dir. Taiki Waititi 7/10
Ant-Man (2015) dir. Peyton Reed 6/10
The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016) dir. Anre Ovredal 7/10 The set up of this is better than the pay-off, but boy is it a tense set-up.
Incredibles 2 (2018) dir. Brad Bird 7.5/10
Hereditary (2018) dir. Ari Aster 9/10
Newness (2017) dir. Drake Doremus 8/10
Event Horizon (1997) dir. Paul WS Anderson 6/10
You Were Never Really Here (2017) dir. Lynne Ramsey 7/10
Game Night (2018) dir. John Francis Daley, Jonathan Goldstein 7.5/10
Kong: Skull Island (2016) dir. Jordan Vogt-Roberts 5/10
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (2015) dir. Christopher McQuarrie 9/10
Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) dir. Christopher McQuarrie 9.5/10
Happy Death Day (2017) dir. Christopher Landon 9/10
She's Gotta Have It (1986) dir. Spike Lee 9/10
Star Trek Beyond (2016) dir. Justin Lin 6.5/10
BlaKkKlansman (2018) dir. Spike Lee 9/10
Searching (2018) dir. Aneesh Chaganty 9/10
Cop Car (2015) dir. Jon Watts 7/10
A Simple Favour (2018) dir. Paul Feig 7/10
Lethal Weapon 2 (1989) dir. Richard Donner 7/10
The Last Boy Scout (1991) dir. Tony Scott 7/10
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) dir. Shane Black 7/10
The Predator (2018) dir. Shane Black 8/10
Terrifier (2016) dir. Damien Leone 8.5/10 Completely mean-spirited and completely horrifying with some surprising reversals.
Bad Times at the El Royale (2018) dir. Drew Goddard 8/10 Much better than the "wannnabe-Tarantino" I've heard some describe this as. Every scene involving the one-way mirrors is perfect.
Halloween II (1981) dir. Rick Rosenthal 4/10
Halloween (2018) dir. David Gordon Green 8/10
Bohemian Rhapsody (2018) dir. Bryan Singer and Dexter Fletcher 5/10
Widows (2018) dir. Steve McQueen 9/10
Sorry to Bother You (2018) dir. Boots Riley 9/10 More pro-union movies, please.
Creed II (2018) dir. Steven Caple Jr. 8.5/10 Quite effective and emotional
Jigsaw (2017) dir. The Spierig Brothers 3/10 I suppose getting rid of the grimey aesthetic of the previous Saw films for a cleaner look is a stylistic choice, but it doesn't really make the quality of the film any better. I expected more inventiveness from the minds behind Predestination and Daybreakers, two much better films.
Upgrade (2018) dir. Leigh Whannell 7.5/10
Bird Box (2018) dir. Susanne Bier 6/10 Worst use of a non-linear structure I've ever seen, but not completely ineffective in individual scenes.
Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse (2018) dir. Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman (2018) 8.5/10
A Star is Born (2018) dir. Bradley Cooper 7.5/10
Velvet Buzzsaw (2019) dir. Dan Gilroy 5/10 Not very compelling as either a satire or a horror.
If Beale St Could Talk (2018) dir. Barry Jenkins 9/10
Cold War (2018) dir. Pawel Pawlikowski 9/10
Us (2019) dir. Jordan Peele 8.5/10
Triple Frontier dir. JC Chandor 8/10
The Strangers: Prey at Night (2018) dir. Johannes Roberts 7/10
The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018) dir. Fede Alvarez 6.5/10

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 8, 2019

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Why so down on Skull Island?
And you're the only person ive ever seen think guardians 2 is better than the first

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

got any sevens posted:

And you're the only person ive ever seen think guardians 2 is better than the first

Better content but not as well executed.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I liked the second Guardians more than the first too. Speaking of things you've never heard anyone say, though:

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) dir. Shane Black 7/10
The Predator (2018) dir. Shane Black 8/10
What's going on here? Why'd you like the latter more than the former?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Event Horizon (1997) dir. Paul WS Anderson 6/10
Star Trek Beyond (2016) dir. Justin Lin 6.5/10
Bohemian Rhapsody (2018) dir. Bryan Singer and Dexter Fletcher 5/10

please

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Captain Marvel - B
Annihilation - A
Paddington 2 - B+
Colette - C+
Pride and Prejudice (1980 BBC) - B-
Pride and Prejudice (1995 BBC) - A

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Escape Room - The TV spots had me interested. So...when it came on demand.....I reluctantly paid the $5.99. This was knowing that Escape Room is the type of PG-13 movie that will be tossed around cable channels in a few years.

It was alright. I didn't expect to be blown away. My initial predicitons were wrong.....even if the ending was stupid as all hell. The "rooms" that they had set up were all pretty neat. They still went with the the lazy path. Probably could have done more with this.

6.5/10

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 25, 2019

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Hagezussa - 3/4, very cool but the deliberate pace was just a little too slow near the end. If you like Eraserhead and black metal, check it out

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
High Life -

Huge disappointment. I liked Solaris (both versions actually), I liked Moon, I love 2001..I'm the target person for slow rear end space movies.. but this one was rough. I did like some of the shots though, and some of the scenes work as individual scenes but as a whole it's a mess.

Captain Marvel -

I felt nothing. I think I'm just going to these out of some weird collective social duty at this point.

Fast Color -

It got good buzz at sxsw last year so I've been trying to see it since 2018..It was the best of the three films I saw but I kept thinking it felt like a better shot version of an episode of heroes. It's decent, especially in the "superhero" genre considering how many of those movies exist at this point but it's just good, and not "amazing" or anything. Maybe I'm just hard to please at this point. I'd watch what the director does next if they get another feature though.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Yeah cap marvel was pretty watered down

Avengers End: 2/3, better than i expected for having to shoehorn in every char that was ever in an avengers, like how Marty went back to the dance in bttf2. The end being like RotK but if everyone tried to take the ring through the front gate was expected for these films too, where violence is always the answer

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 26, 2019

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Avengers: Endgame
3/10

I wrote a previous review covering the entire MCU and explained how the Avengers movies were inexplicably the worst ones for many reasons including the lack of relativety regarding how powerful each Avenger is depending on the situation. Action scenes also devolve into what is basically someone being hit and then slamming into something.

While this one is the best of the avenger movies (they all suck) it still suffers from there being no consequences to anything that happens. In the MCU, buildings are destroyed, cities decimated, people killed and it all gets forgetten rather easily with no real long twrm affects.

A major event like half of all living creatures disappearing should have some dire consequences. It doesnt. The aftermath is dealt with simply by people being sad and garbage not being collected from side streets. Otherwise, if people didnt mention the event, the world would be seemingly normal. Its a small gripe, I guess.

The major problem happens at about 45mins in and its a big one. The remaining avengers come up with a brilliant plan; time travel. Of course this is heavily telegraphed from the Ant Man movie and every moviegoer assumed it would be the case as its a very easy (and sloppy) solution to pretty much any problem.

Tony Stark spends a night doing some calculations and then delivers the following line to Pepper,

"I figured it out, time travel."

The remaining 2 hours of the movie is irrelevant.

It makes me wonder why Doctor Strange didnt just tell Tony in Infinity War to not bother with fighting Thanos and to just get started on the time travel.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

On the other my entire giant theater loved it and it was a great movie going experience with people standing up cheering, lots of audible crying and every other emotion a movie can create in an audience. A remarkable achievement and victory lap for this first generation of Marvel and what they've created with satisfying tying up of pretty much every character arc while passing the torch to the next gen. The time travel stuff wasn't the most elegant (and is almost aware of that at times with some of the convoluted dialogue) but allowed the plot to do a lot of fun things and revisit memorable moments throughout the previous films while subverting expectations at the same time. Loved it. 5/5

TommyGun85 posted:

It makes me wonder why Doctor Strange didnt just tell Tony in Infinity War to not bother with fighting Thanos and to just get started on the time travel.

I mean if you want to be reductive then Doc could have just rewound time himself from the get go but then there's no movie

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

True Grit (1969, Henry Hathaway) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5
On the Beach (1959, Stanley Kramer) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5
The Long Day Closes (1992, Terence Davies) [Blu-ray] - 5/5
The Silence of the Lambs (1991, Jonathan Demme) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
Daredevils of the Red Circle (1939, William Witney/John English) [Blu-ray] - 3/5

Amarcord (1973, Federico Fellini) [Criterion Channel] - 4/5
Cinema Paradiso (1988, Giuseppe Tornatore) [Blu-ray - theatrical cut] - 4/5
Killer of Sheep (1978, Charles Burnett) [DVD] - 4/5
Matinee (1993, Joe Dante) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
My Name is Julia Ross (1945, Joseph H. Lewis) [Criterion Channel] - 4.5/5

Lights of New York (1928, Bryan Foy) [DVD - plus four Vitaphone shorts] - 2.5/5
So Dark the Night (1946, Joseph H. Lewis) [Criterion Channel] - 3/5
The Spy in Black (1939, Michael Powell) [Criterion Channel] - 3.5/5
The Fabulous Baron Munchausen (1962, Karel Zeman) [Criterion Channel] - 3.5/5
Blow Out (1981, Brian DePalma) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5

Schlock (1971, John Landis) [Blu-ray] - 🍌🍌/🍌🍌🍌🍌

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Egbert Souse posted:

The Long Day Closes (1992, Terence Davies) [Blu-ray] - 5/5
Killer of Sheep (1978, Charles Burnett) [DVD] - 4/5
Matinee (1993, Joe Dante) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
One of the greatest shots ever, one of the best American films ever period, and a reminder for me to see more joe dante, what do you have to say about em

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Coaaab posted:

One of the greatest shots ever, one of the best American films ever period, and a reminder for me to see more joe dante, what do you have to say about em

The Long Day Closes is one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. It's just a series of "memories" but it's almost like some sort of daydream. I'm eager to see more of Davies' filmography, especially Distant Voices, Still Lives.

Killer of Sheep also opts for no real plot, but offers a similar "these are snapshots of life" approach. Burnett layers in some incredible music choices. I seem to always love these sort of movies that just offer a look at life in a period and letting life tell a story. I have at least seen To Sleep with Anger, which I loved.

I wish I had seen Matinee when I was much younger since I would have loved the hell out of it, but I also have years of becoming familiar with the likes of William Castle and Jack Arnold. I loved how all the plot lines wound together and I've yet to see John Goodman in a film where he wasn't terrific. Also fun to see the usual Dante players (Robert Picardo as the paranoid theater owner, Dick Miller as a tough guy, plus Kevin McCarthy and William Schallert in MANT!). I really liked how spot-on the period movies were. Even down to the faux Disney movie being in CinemaScope and deliberately absurd.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

people standing up cheering, lots of audible crying

:lol:

Bottom Liner posted:

but then there's no movie

If only life could be so sweet

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

its cool and good to hate popular things :smug:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

now you're catching on!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bottom Liner posted:

if these movies weren't directly responsible for Disney's expansion, they'd just be harmless fun. nobody would care. hell, I saw it that way until the ramifications of the Fox sale (and the fact that they're inevitably going to do the same thing to every studio they can get their paws on) really sank in. but they are responsible for that problem. they are the main source of income which Disney is using to devour the rest of the industry.

the MCU is the fuel that powers the engine that is destroying the medium we love. it's only a function of its popularity in the sense that, if it weren't popular, this horseshit wouldn't work.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

:jerkbag:

Like seriously, come the gently caress on.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

to be fair, I have given positive reviews to many movies in the MCU but the Avenger movies are terrible. They follow strict formulas, have no plots, boring action sequences consisting of X punches Y slams into Z and are largely planned around contracts and economics rather than plot and story. I dont want to spoil anything, but consider who was chosen to survive the snap in Infinity War...it wasnt a selective group of superheros who could then use their unique powers to reverse what happened. It was a group of actors with ending contracts who would be given a final movie to 'pass the torch'. This is not how plots should evolve.

I'm sorry some people dont like a popular thing you like, but as you said you were in a movie filled with people who enjoyed it so thats great. It will have accomplished its job of keeping the train rolling no doubt setting up a future Avengers vs. X Men movie that will also be planned through corporate interests instead of actual plotting that makes sense.

On a positive note, I did think Captain America's arc was wrapped up nicely.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That post wasn’t directed at you, it was at beanpole. If he’s going to :lol: at the idea of people enjoying the movie I’m definitely going to mock that goony smugness.

As to your point about contracts and such, everyone was aware of that going in, but it was also bringing it back to the original team plus a few others, which was satisfying from a storytelling perspective and everyone was left to guess how they would handle those respective endings. And yeah, at the end of the day it’s a Marvel movie, not a cinematic masterpiece, but it doesn’t have to be to be memorable or special to people that have spent so much time with these characters and stories.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

That post wasn’t directed at you, it was at beanpole. If he’s going to :lol: at the idea of people enjoying the movie I’m definitely going to mock that goony smugness.

As to your point about contracts and such, everyone was aware of that going in, but it was also bringing it back to the original team plus a few others, which was satisfying from a storytelling perspective and everyone was left to guess how they would handle those respective endings. And yeah, at the end of the day it’s a Marvel movie, not a cinematic masterpiece, but it doesn’t have to be to be memorable or special to people that have spent so much time with these characters and stories.

Understandable, but my reviews of the movies are in the context of the MCU. I am judging them relative to their counterparts. Lots of movies in the MCU are great; the Avenger movies are the worst (along with Thor: The Dark World). And they are not bad for lack of effort, they are bad because they are formulaic and born from corporate interests instead of any heart.

No doubt audiences enjoy them and thats good, but its also a byproduct of them being very safe for fear of screwing up.

Consider this, the single biggest moment in the Avenger's movies is the snap which kills half of the Avengers. This should be a big deal to audiences, but it wasnt. Corporate interests already prevail in the minds of fans to the point that EVERYONE guessed (correctly) that they would all be brought back to life through time travel shenanigans. Disney is not brave enough to not bring them back. They also spoiled any suspense by announcing their second Spiderman movie. They couldnt help themselves.

Anyways, this a movie review thread and not a Marvel thread so I wont spend anymore time on it other than to say, at the end of the day Endgame's biggest issue is that it is boring. There is literally nothing in this movie capable of being spoiled.

Hopefully the next batch of Marvel movies will contain a few gems like Thor Ragnarok.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

TommyGun85 posted:

Consider this, the single biggest moment in the Avenger's movies is the snap which kills half of the Avengers. This should be a big deal to audiences, but it wasnt.

I don't think this reflects the reality of the movie or moment at all. I watched entire theaters freak out, I saw my father in law cry at the "mr stark, im not feeling so good" line - despite not having seen Homecoming or more than maybe 4 marvel movies total, it's all people talked about for weeks, and it became a pop culture moment for lack of a better term. And that all in spite of everyone expected it to all be fixed going into part two and knowing that Peter had another movie coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

blech