Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ChazTurbo posted:

Looter shooters are boring garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

i feel like this is too broad, like maybe "anyone who deliberately hunts achievements on a first playthrough" instead
Say what you want about Stanley Parable, but it has an amazing troll achievement for these people (i.e. people like me).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B95T5ewzSpU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I rarely get trophies on purpose but if the activity it takes to get one sounds fun, it's worth doing. if it's the other way around it's an absolute waste of time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i got this game called nine parchments for the switch on sale for like four dollars and it's kinda like magicka and is awesome for couch co-op and i have no idea why i'd never heard of it

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Martman posted:

Say what you want about Stanley Parable, but it has an amazing troll achievement for these people (i.e. people like me).

That reminds me of gunpoint and its achievement for repeatedly punching a dead guy in the tutorial.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

veni veni veni posted:

You are right about the second part, but imo the problem with the first part, is that they are so plentiful that they might as well just be recharged like an estus flask once you've settled into the game, but they can be a bottleneck for new players. Like, a ton of people have gotten stuck at the beginning of Bloodborne farming vials or wasting level up money on them and gotten burned out doing it. All for a mechanic that ultimately doesn't even matter. I don't see why they don't just have them recharge because there is no downside.

I think nearly every common item should just recharge at checkpoints. Maybe some special stuff could be one time use, but I've never gotten why Fromsoft includes items to make bosses easier and then just makes them rare and consumable, so if you blow your shot once, the fight just gets harder again. Seems counterintuitive to me.

This is an example of how sometimes Fromsoft games seem designed for immersion first, even to a fault. Blood vials being limited-use means you have to go out and hunt for them, almost literally becoming a blood-crazed killer, which works great for the kind of atmosphere the game wants to create, but if you're a noob it puts the brakes on the fun

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Rutibex posted:

I'm waiting for the PlayStation 9. that thing is going to be sick as hell

Lol if you believed this ad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRJXLu3YVpM

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Barudak posted:

All achievements are good except the one that required you to team kill a fellow player

indeed that's an achievement that is not merely good

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Martman posted:

The whole game is a bad troll. I paid like a dollar for it and still felt ripped off.

:thejoke:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I didn't like Journey much, it didn't overstay its welcome so I didn't hate it but waking through pretty environments for 2 hours while being hit over the head with emotional impact is not great videogamery.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I didn't like Journey much, it didn't overstay its welcome so I didn't hate it but waking through pretty environments for 2 hours while being hit over the head with emotional impact is not great videogamery.

Boring loving game. The fact that people say they cried at the end of it is just nuts. Crying during any game really.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Never played Journey because console titles blow but "walk through pretty areas with chill music" gaming is the only defensible part of this reprehensible hobby. Try AER.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Colonel Cancer posted:

Never played Journey because console titles blow but "walk through pretty areas with chill music" gaming is the only defensible part of this reprehensible hobby. Try AER.

It's on PC as well, Epic store exclusive.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Quiet As A Stone is another good super-relaxing chill "game"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's real sad that gaming as a whole has been about mass murder simulators (and yes even Mario is one). There are worthy genres that don't involve wanton murder and destruction.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

MrMidnight posted:

Boring loving game. The fact that people say they cried at the end of it is just nuts. Crying during any game really.

lol if you didn't cry hysterically everytime someone beat you at mario kart

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's real sad that gaming as a whole has been about mass murder simulators (and yes even Mario is one). There are worthy genres that don't involve wanton murder and destruction.

i love killing bad guys in games

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
People rave about Red Dead Redemption (the first), but that game annoyed the hell out of me. It begins with wanton exposition while you literally ride a train into town. The rest of the game is exposition while you manually have to guide your horse during glorified cutscenes. Your character (John "Blank Slate" Marston) constantly talks about his motivation relating to his family (wife + kids), even though you've never met those people and don't care about them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MrMidnight posted:

Did they cry at the end because they paid full price? Because Journey is about as emotionally impactful as a beachball

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Barudak posted:

Did they cry at the end because they paid full price? Because Journey is about as emotionally impactful as a beachball

seriously what the gently caress was in the water when everyone couldn't stop sucking journey off for years

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Pontificating rear end posted:

People rave about Red Dead Redemption (the first), but that game annoyed the hell out of me. It begins with wanton exposition while you literally ride a train into town. The rest of the game is exposition while you manually have to guide your horse during glorified cutscenes. Your character (John "Blank Slate" Marston) constantly talks about his motivation relating to his family (wife + kids), even though you've never met those people and don't care about them.

[hold X to match the pace of the man yelling at you]

"YOU BES' BEWARE JOHN MARSTON YER A BAD MAN JOHN MARSTON HE WHO FIGHTS MONSTERS SHOULD BEWARE LEST HE BECOME A MONSTER HIMSELF JOHN MARSTON AND WHEN YOU STARE AT THE ABYSS JOHN MARSTON DON'T IT PLUMB JUST STARE BACK AT YOU? YER JUST AS BAD AS THE BANDITOS YOU KILL JOHN MARSTON YOU'RE A BAD MAN YOU'RE BAD BAD BAD [morality gauge is maxed out at "good"] YOU'RE BAD"

"Heck, I reckon I am bad."

"YOU'RE BAD."

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You never meet John Marston's wife because she was actually killed years ago in a freak "hogtied and placed on train tracks" accident and he is living in denial.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
in my rustlin' dreams i see that town.

Shitfinger Gulch.

reckon you promised me we'd mosey on back up there someday

but w'ain't never did

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

need more arcade racers imo. Been playing a lot of OutRun and some of OutRun 2006 Coast 2 Coast and feeling sad they lost the Ferrari license + took that game off Steam. I felt bad when OnRush tried to do something new and then got put on PS Plus as a free game like 3 months after release.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Bonaventure posted:

[hold X to match the pace of the man yelling at you]

"YOU BES' BEWARE JOHN MARSTON YER A BAD MAN JOHN MARSTON HE WHO FIGHTS MONSTERS SHOULD BEWARE LEST HE BECOME A MONSTER HIMSELF JOHN MARSTON AND WHEN YOU STARE AT THE ABYSS JOHN MARSTON DON'T IT PLUMB JUST STARE BACK AT YOU? YER JUST AS BAD AS THE BANDITOS YOU KILL JOHN MARSTON YOU'RE A BAD MAN YOU'RE BAD BAD BAD [morality gauge is maxed out at "good"] YOU'RE BAD"

"Heck, I reckon I am bad."

"YOU'RE BAD."

More like
"You're a bad man, Mr. *Marston's ally*"
"You loving killed people and robbed them you goddamn hypocrite."
"Well you're still a bad man, watch me zing you with a one liner to distract the viewer so they don't notice me ignoring your point"

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
my entire time playing as John Marston i was a fine and upstanding citizen because the game controlled like rear end and wasn't fun to do crimes in, so he seemed pretty rehabilitated from my point of view

and from the point of view of the quantifiable meter that measured how honorable he was

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I cried at the end of LISA.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The biggest problem RDR 1 (and 2) have is the extremely repetitive mission design. Ride somewhere for what feels like forever, shoot hundreds of O'Driscolls, ride back (at least RDR1 had fast travel).

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I cried at the end of The Walking Dead

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
the biggest problem with RDR is that riding a horse around open terrain is actually extremely boring compared to driving a car at max speed through a city like a madman

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I find it interesting that while there are people getting mad Sekiro doesn't have a chill mode so you can relax and take in the scenery, I don't think I've ever seen anyone calling for the reverse- a Gone Home challenge mode or whatever

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

2house2fly posted:

I find it interesting that while there are people getting mad Sekiro doesn't have a chill mode so you can relax and take in the scenery, I don't think I've ever seen anyone calling for the reverse- a Gone Home challenge mode or whatever

why is that interesting?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

rly makes u think

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Binding of Isaac is the best game to be released in the last 10 years

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

2house2fly posted:

Gone Home speedruns
Dear Esther boss rush
Stanley Parable permadeath hardcore mode
The Journey seasonal ladders

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

bomb posted:

Binding of Isaac is the best game to be released in the last 10 years

It deserves a lot of credit for kicking off the roguelike craze but most of the games it inspired put it to shame.

On a related note Risk of Rain 2 loving rules.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

is pepsi ok posted:

On a related note Risk of Rain 2 loving rules.

Yeah man, this. Complaints being acknowledged and patched feels like almost daily. I love the huntress but engi is good too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I cried about 4 hours into Destiny when I realized how bad it was.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
while mario 64 doesn’t have the most intuitive controls, it does have very percice controls and interesting levels, so once you are good at it moving around in the game is very satisfying in and of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

2house2fly posted:

the funniest thing about sekiro not having an easy mode is all of these game journos on twitter being unable to finish it, and then trying to ramble about disabled accessibility as an excuse to add an easy mode. I think its funny that they think disabled people are bad at games just because game journos are. There's a dude who kicks rear end at street fighter with his tongue and has little flappy hands and that game is hard to play at all.