Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

it's like the writer wanted a harem anime, but didn't want to have to expend any :effort: on the wants and needs of several different women, so he magiteked them all into a single handy-dandy electric bang maid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Harem animes expend effort on the wants and needs of women?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Apparently the entire reason why Chondra makes no sense is because she's some weird amalgation of Chondras from all universes which is why her backstory is different every five minutes.

Or they just inserted that to try and explain all the contradictions.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Short answer: They're good and worth playing, there are much worse games you could spend your time on, especially if you like following characters' stories over a long period of time and shootin' dudes with guns and brain magic.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

If you can get them for cheap the Mass Effect games are worth it. But I would never pay full price for what ends up being a moist fart in terms of the space epic we were promised.

Much like I would never pay any price for this YiiK. You couldn't even pay me to play this; my limited sanity wouldn't allow it.

Is it worth dealing with Origin to play, though? I don't have a PS3 anymore.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Solitair posted:

You only need Origin to play 3 (saves will still import just fine), other 2 are on Steam.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Not as such, but I imagine the author thinking "heh, this way I can date three women but only have to pay for one date, amirite :smugbert: "

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Solitair posted:

Origin's okay these days and Origin Premium Vault is such a stupidly good deal that I tolerate it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Solitair posted:

I'm so used to having like 5 launchers for all my games that I don't really see the point of getting annoyed with it. If it bugs you that much that you don't want to play a certain game, well, sorry, not sure what to tell you.

But yeah, as mentioned, ME1 and 2 are on Steam.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

The good ones do, but there's only like 3 good harem series anyway so it's an outlier.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Why isn't there a Rory somewhere in Essentia? :mad:

Though thinking about it, having a better game where one party member is some weird amalgamation of all the rest of the party members could be interesting. Like having Cell join the Z Fighters!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Though thinking about it, having a better game where one party member is some weird amalgamation of all the rest of the party members could be interesting. Like having Cell join the Z Fighters!

Digital Devil Saga 2 kind of explores this late in the game with 2 characters, but sadly one of them is the silent protagonist.

Malicus
Oct 31, 2013
I hate that I understood a "joke" in YIIK that other people didn't, but misery must be shared. I think I figured out the Olive Oil thing. It's because he's EXTRA VIRGIN. ...ugh.

Malicus fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 5, 2019

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Digital Devil Saga 2 kind of explores this late in the game with 2 characters, but sadly one of them is the silent protagonist.

Let's be honest, that was just the writers going short hand for, "Well, yeah, your character is the main character but that girl over there is actually THE REAL main character."

Also some Hinduism stuff in there too.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wasn't character fusion also a mechanic in the Breath of Fire series? I don't remember if it affected the plot at all, it was one of those games that I only ever saw at friends' houses but never owned myself.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Malicus posted:

I hate that I understood a "joke" in YIIK that other people didn't, but misery must be shared. I think I figured out the Olive Oil thing. It's because he's EXTRA VIRGIN. ...ugh.
That's actually not the worst joke I've ever heard, so that's something I guess.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

:psyduck: what the gently caress did I just watch

This game is loving creepy on so many levels. I don't know what else to say about it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Wasn't character fusion also a mechanic in the Breath of Fire series? I don't remember if it affected the plot at all, it was one of those games that I only ever saw at friends' houses but never owned myself.

Yes, that was a thing in BoF2, you could fuse with various shamans to transform and gain special abilities depending on the shaman and character. It was a thing in BoF1 and BoF3 where certain dragon forms fused your whole party together for various effects. I forget if there was something like that in BoF4.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure besides one specific thing there weren't fusion forms in BoF4, but that's not really what I was getting at, I meant more in a 'yeah I'm a mix of all of you but also my own independent person/being' sense.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Rotten Red Rod posted:

In BOF1 the thief character Karn has the ability to fuse with some of your other party members as he's from the Fusion clan which has this ability. Cerl one of the enemy generals can also do this which is why her hometown treated her like a monster.

BOF2 had the shamans you could find who could combine with characters to increase their stats or give them new forms.

BOF3 had the Fusion Gene which let you transform into various forms depending on your party members.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ramos posted:

Let's be honest, that was just the writers going short hand for, "Well, yeah, your character is the main character but that girl over there is actually THE REAL main character."

Just have a female protagonist you cowards!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ramos posted:

The only two games I've seen pull that off well were Final Fantasies X and XII. X did it by framing the story in such a way that you didn't realize Yuna was if not the actual protagonist then at the very least of equal importance to Tidus until about 3/4s of the way through the game and even then she straight up says "This is my story too," right before the point of no return. XII did it by setting up Vaan as an access character with very minimal stake in world events and then very quickly bringing Ashe into the plot and sliding the focus onto her immediately and never looking back.

YIIK is just All Alex, All The Time.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Now I'm thinking that Rory's suicide ending has another Rory just pop back in and saying "Hi, I'm Rory" before joining the final fight.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I haven't watched the Rory suicide video and you can't make me

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

get that OUT of my face posted:

I haven't watched the Rory suicide video and you can't make me

Good because I'm not postin' it.

You're gonna get real mad about Monday's video though because it's three back-to-back puzzles that were so obtuse the devs posted a walkthrough on their website for them.

There's a no commentary hub walkthrough that spends 2.5 hours in the loving Essentia Mind Dungeon that we're gonna blitz through.

Edit: The first half of it.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 6, 2019

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I feel like it would be better for your sanity to just post an audio review of Magic of Incarnum and call it a day. You wouldn't even need to read the book. If you freewheeled off the name and it using essentia you'd be close enough.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Not a video game, but Red Dwarf did that once.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Isn't Liberal Arts just an education system that represents most schools in the Western world?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dejawesp posted:

Isn't Liberal Arts just an education system that represents most schools in the Western world?

That... isn't really something you can paper over with "Oh, don't worry it gets better." No, you whiffed a scene involving a character coming to grips with his 12 year old sister killing herself by smothering it in circular psychobabble and punctuating it with a literal piss yellow alpaca bursting into the room and screaming LEMONADE while the tone deaf house band tries it's best to play some smooth jazz and winds up falling down the stairs on top of each other.

You don't get to recover from that gracefully.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ibblebibble posted:

The good ones do, but there's only like 3 good harem series anyway so it's an outlier.

There are the ones that have a female protagonist who is somewhat inexplicably fawned over by various attractive men. Usually tends to have equally shallow characterisation and the protagonist being a blatant audience-insert though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There are the ones that have a female protagonist who is somewhat inexplicably fawned over by various attractive men. Usually tends to have equally shallow characterisation and the protagonist being a blatant audience-insert though.

Ah, I should have specified male MC harems. I honestly haven't read any female MC ones. I assume that the criteria for a decent harem series to me (harem members can interact with each other non-antagonistically, members actually have other interests, issues and storylines that have nothing to do with the MC and can't be solved by them, series isn't afraid to have friends of the MC who aren't in the harem/trying to steal it etc) apply to both though.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 6, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dejawesp posted:

"It's just covered in a little dog poo poo, it's still good! It's still good!"

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Dejawesp posted:

Liberal Arts is the general catch all for everything that's not tech science - your arts, music, philosophy, politics, history and even a lot of almost-sciences like psychology and mathematics.

A Liberal Arts degree boils down to having never picked a major and spent your four (five, for Alex) years doing a grab-bag assortment of classes with no focus and doing nothing in-depth.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
So apparently the patch to make the 3rd Ending 'easier to find' or likely 'in the game at all' isn't happening until the physical release of YIIK for... some reason. Which is probably 'cuz it doesn't exist. Woops.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Kchama posted:

So apparently the patch to make the 3rd Ending 'easier to find' or likely 'in the game at all' isn't happening until the physical release of YIIK for... some reason. Which is probably 'cuz it doesn't exist. Woops.

Does a physical release date even exist?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ramos posted:

Does a physical release date even exist?

Aaaahhahahaha NOPE!

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I guess the real postmodernism was the meta-narrative we made along the way. :thunk:

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Limited Run is suppose to be doing the physical copies; though I thought they already did that at release.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Combat Lobster posted:

Limited Run is suppose to be doing the physical copies; though I thought they already did that at release.

Apparently not! They have YIIK listed, but the release date is still TBD!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ibblebibble posted:

Ah, I should have specified male MC harems. I honestly haven't read any female MC ones. I assume that the criteria for a decent harem series to me (harem members can interact with each other non-antagonistically, members actually have other interests, issues and storylines that have nothing to do with the MC and can't be solved by them, series isn't afraid to have friends of the MC who aren't in the harem/trying to steal it etc) apply to both though.

I do wonder how many of those categories Twilight falls into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
somehow, -2