Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I've never once died because of it or frankly even noticed it was an issue so I can't really comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You can just tilt the camera with the right stick at the same time, though? This isn't some uncommon skill, either - I've done the same thing while fooling around in Trails of Cold Steel 1/2.

As for me it's just hard to go back to DS1 because that whole game is balanced around using a shield and I just don't care for that kind of combat anymore as opposed to the learned aggression I eventually got into with DS2 (and to a lesser extent DS3). Try running around in DS1 and relying solely on your dodge or spacing to save you. The hitboxes on attacks are actually kind of a sloppy mess, but it's harder to notice because everyone is supposed to use a shield. Compare this to DS2 and DS3, where the hitboxes are far more accurate even if DS3 loves its fakeouts. I have missed a sword swing or a punch in DS2 by literal inches - that's how close things are.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Hey feelix, why don’t you just play Bloodborne my man? It is way more satisfying and good than DS2, and way way more satisfying and good than complaining about how DS2 sucks

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

skasion posted:

Hey feelix, why don’t you just play Bloodborne my man? It is way more satisfying and good than DS2, and way way more satisfying and good than complaining about how DS2 sucks

I'm waiting for the PC port

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

NGDBSS posted:

You can just tilt the camera with the right stick at the same time, though? This isn't some uncommon skill, either - I've done the same thing while fooling around in Trails of Cold Steel 1/2.

As for me it's just hard to go back to DS1 because that whole game is balanced around using a shield and I just don't care for that kind of combat anymore as opposed to the learned aggression I eventually got into with DS2 (and to a lesser extent DS3). Try running around in DS1 and relying solely on your dodge or spacing to save you. The hitboxes on attacks are actually kind of a sloppy mess, but it's harder to notice because everyone is supposed to use a shield. Compare this to DS2 and DS3, where the hitboxes are far more accurate even if DS3 loves its fakeouts. I have missed a sword swing or a punch in DS2 by literal inches - that's how close things are.

The camera thing sucks and I shouldn't have to do that, and I could play DS1 without a shield just fine because I dodge bosses anyway and you can run past all the regular enemies

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

feelix posted:

I'm waiting for the PC port

:hmmyes:

Orv
May 4, 2011

feelix posted:

The camera thing sucks and I shouldn't have to do that, and I could play DS1 without a shield just fine because I dodge bosses anyway and you can run past all the regular enemies

Do you just lock onto everyone and never move the camera? :psyduck:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Orv posted:

Do you just lock onto everyone and never move the camera? :psyduck:

What? No, I'm not even talking about movement during combat (although I bet if I started trying to get really fancy with unlocked combat in DS2, the deadzones would bother me as well).

In every other Souls, I can make my character move in an arbitrary direction using only the right stick. If I need to see something other than what the camera is currently showing me, I'll move it. If not, I don't have to. In Dark Souls 2, there are directions in which I cannot move without moving the camera. That's loving stupid.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I've played the whole of 2 without locking onto someone and never once experienced any kind of deadzones but that's anecdotal at best so I don't know what to tell you.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah I'm in the same boat, I've played all of the 5 Souls games to death (on console) and have never experienced any sort of control issue at all. DS2 has the majority of the hours (because it is the best game, has the most replayability on NG+, viable builds, and sweet rear end weapons to powerstance) and I don't even know what deadzone you're talking about tbh.

DS3 with all the DLC is the second best imo, but I can't bring myself to replay souls 3 often because the initial Highwall -> Village -> Road of sacrifice path blows rear end chunks and makes the game feel super liner to me.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
They bother me the most when I'm just trying to run through the levels. That's another thing about comparing the Souls games, I guess. There are two very different experiences you can have with those games: your first (hopefully blind) playthrough, and your subsequent playthroughs where you're trying gimmicks, trying to break the game, trying to make a PvP build, trying to speedrun, whatever. I probably had just as much fun with DkS2 as I did with DeS , DkS1 and DkS3 on my first blind playthrough, if not more (for the sheer fact that DkS2 is longer). The nuances of the movement feel don't really matter when you're carefully creeping through levels with your shield up. The only complaint I have about DkS2 in that regard is having to exhaust Licia's dialogue to progress, and that's a very big complaint. If I didn't incidentally do that, it would have been a complete game-ender for me. Nowhere else in the series do you have to do that just to progress, the game doesn't telegraph that it's necessary, and no other game in the series has such a serious, potentially game-ending roadblock.

For return playthroughs, though, I find DkS2 to be the worst by far, and it's a shame because it's the most fun to read wikis and theorize builds about. Actually creating and playing those builds feels like a huge unsatisfying slog. I haven't had a lot of fun trying to return to DkS3, either, but that's because it's hard. It feels good to play, and I'm probably just not familiar enough with it. DkS2 is not particularly difficult, it just feels bad.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

feelix posted:

The only complaint I have about DkS2 in that regard is having to exhaust Licia's dialogue to progress, and that's a very big complaint. If I didn't incidentally do that, it would have been a complete game-ender for me. Nowhere else in the series do you have to do that just to progress, the game doesn't telegraph that it's necessary, and no other game in the series has such a serious, potentially game-ending roadblock.
What on earth are you talking about

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

goblin week posted:

What on earth are you talking about

She doesn't move to the rotunda unless you exhaust her dialogue in Heide. It's in the Dark Souls II thread OP:

Alexander DeLarge posted:

:siren:IF YOU'RE STUCK READ THIS:siren:

Talk to the miracles woman at Heide's Tower to unlock the other 5/6ths of the game

fargom posted:

I don't even know what deadzone you're talking about tbh.

I'm not imagining this, you guys just must be less sensitive to it. It's the first Google suggestion for "dark souls 2 dead" (yes, in incognito mode) and there's a mod for it that doesn't work for SotFS and probably doesn't work that great anyway, since you can't exactly re-add functionality to the game that doesn't exist (the ability to move at vanishingly small angles relative to the camera direction) by pre-processing inputs.

feelix fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 6, 2019

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Orv posted:

I've never once died because of it or frankly even noticed it was an issue so I can't really comment.

Same, DS2 is extremely my jam and I've spent 100s of hours on it. Yes the campaign is a little weak but it's still fun and the DLC + multiplayer feeling more balanced than 1 and 2 + fashion more than makes up for it

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Souls do not matter. Tell yourself this because eventually, you will literally have no use for them. A million souls becomes meaningless, far earlier than you would think it would.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Exiting the starting area in DS2 is still one of my favorite From moments because it proved they can make stunningly beautiful visages with a graphics engine that's never been optimized for visuals.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

feelix posted:

She doesn't move to the rotunda unless you exhaust her dialogue in Heide. It's in the Dark Souls II thread OP:

Hm. Seems like a fair callout but I'm like 99% sure she moves to the rotunda once you go by boat to the Bastille. I'll check later today

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

feelix posted:

For return playthroughs, though, I find DkS2 to be the worst by far, and it's a shame because it's the most fun to read wikis and theorize builds about. Actually creating and playing those builds feels like a huge unsatisfying slog. I haven't had a lot of fun trying to return to DkS3, either, but that's because it's hard. It feels good to play, and I'm probably just not familiar enough with it. DkS2 is not particularly difficult, it just feels bad.
I really felt entirely the opposite way about that, and it's probably the biggest reason why I only really started properly enjoying the game on my second playthrough. Honestly, in terms of gameplay and mechanics, the two games are basically identical. Dark Souls' combat mechanics are fundamentally built around incredibly lethal one-on-one combat - both you and the enemies die in a handful of hits and you basically have no real crowd control or mobility at all. You never want to fight more than one enemy at a time, but that's fine, because you pretty much never have to so long as you don't get careless. Mechanically, everything you've learned from playing the first game still applies in pretty much all the same ways, so if anything, you should really be able to expect it to be a whole lot easier, right?

Except it isn't. On your first playthrough, nine out of ten times it won't have mattered how careful or good you are, because there are a poo poo-ton of encounters that are intentionally set up to be straight-out unwinnable unless you know they're coming. If there's one thing I'd call genuinely bad about DS2 - in the "this is objectively lovely game design" and not the "this is too hard" kind of sense - it is that it's often frankly unfair, because Dark Souls 2 loves to go entirely against that and just throw crowds of enemies at you out of nowhere. When you get ambushed by 8+ hollows bumrushing you with claymores, the first time you just die, because that's basically the worst possible situation for you to ever be in. At that point, you're by design already unable to do anything about it anymore.

It might as well be a scripted insta-death, for all the difference it makes. You can't even really feel like you actually lost a fight there, because it wasn't one. It's not difficult, it's not challenging, it's just frustrating, because it doesn't really matter what you do. On the second playthrough, where you already know about all the traps and ambushes? That's when the game can finally start being fun, because now you finally get to feel like you can actually be good at it, instead of just making your way from one arbitrary and unavoidable "gently caress you" to the next.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I seem to recall plenty of people saying that they found DS2 easier because they played DS1.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I remember dying at the bit in Fallen Giants where you climb up a ladder and there's like 10 fuckers hanging out there so many times

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
8+ hollows bumrushing me doesnt mean poo poo bc im swinging a ten foot long greatsword that stops them from attacking for 120 frames if it doesnt kill them outright, and my swings cover 270 degrees

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
all dark souls games are impossible until u find ur weapon, then thdy become trivially easy

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Is it me or is Dark Souls 3 incredibly linear/rigid? I've played the beginning of the game a few times and it seems like you're always going along the same path. Are there tough high level areas that I'm allowed to go but shouldn't (like Catacombs or New London Ruins in DS1)? I'm currently in Smouldering Lake and it's cool... Just that it seems really linear.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

anothergod posted:

Is it me or is Dark Souls 3 incredibly linear/rigid? I've played the beginning of the game a few times and it seems like you're always going along the same path. Are there tough high level areas that I'm allowed to go but shouldn't (like Catacombs or New London Ruins in DS1)? I'm currently in Smouldering Lake and it's cool... Just that it seems really linear.

there are places like Anor Londo and the Dragon Realm or whatever, plus the DLC. I never played any of the earlier ones though so I couldn't make a comparison for you

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

anothergod posted:

u get to pick between two branching paths a couple times but u have to beat both of them before u can move on (path of sacrifices -> cathedral or swamp, irithyll -> anor londo or profaned capital)

these branching paths also offer optional areas around the same time, like smouldering lake or archdragon peak

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

anothergod posted:

Yes, it is

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

anothergod posted:

You can do Dancer immediately after Gundyr if you want and unlock the entire back half of the game. But it's tough as nails.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

And yeah, DS2 has a ton of cool poo poo going for it, but compared to the other games it does indeed control like poo poo.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

heard u like girls posted:

You can do Dancer immediately after Gundyr if you want and unlock the entire back half of the game. But it's tough as nails.

I thought you were still blocked off the Archives until you beat all lords of cinder, making rushing dancer kind of pointless

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You can also duck into the first DLC area once you can get to Cathedral of the Deep, and if you can manage to beat the main boss of that DLC that early, you can furthermore get to the second DLC area from there, which is arguably more challenging than anything in the vanilla game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

KingSlime posted:

I thought you were still blocked off the Archives until you beat all lords of cinder, making rushing dancer kind of pointless

You are, but that still gives you access to two more areas with plenty of upgrade materials and stuff.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

KingSlime posted:

Oh, possibly yeah. But you can go to Lothric Castle, Untended Graves, dark Firelink etc. and there is some good loot here and there.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Idk why liking DS2 is always a hot topic of debate. It was a great game that had a weird PvP tier system. Honestly, the PvP in DS2 was probably my favorite in the series.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I especially like the ratbro mechanic for DS2 PvP. The non-instigator has nothing to lose by trying, worst case you get kicked back to your own world with life and souls intact.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Yeah soul memory, godawful weapon durability, and having to waste 20 levels for iframes was enough to kill DS2 for me.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

And Tyler Too! posted:

Yeah soul memory, godawful weapon durability, and having to waste 20 levels for iframes was enough to kill DS2 for me.

The 20 levels are like nothing though. I did no grinding and just leveled when I had enough souls to do so and by the end of the game and the DLC I was at SL180. Weapon durability wasn’t a serious impediment either. Repair powder is around and every bonfire refreshes all of your stuff. The only time my stuff got broken was when there was some enemy or gimmick in a particular area that specifically damages weapons more than normal. As for soul memory, I’m at 6m in NG+ and still get invaded regularly so...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Cardiovorax posted:

I really felt entirely the opposite way about that, and it's probably the biggest reason why I only really started properly enjoying the game on my second playthrough. Honestly, in terms of gameplay and mechanics, the two games are basically identical. Dark Souls' combat mechanics are fundamentally built around incredibly lethal one-on-one combat - both you and the enemies die in a handful of hits and you basically have no real crowd control or mobility at all. You never want to fight more than one enemy at a time, but that's fine, because you pretty much never have to so long as you don't get careless. Mechanically, everything you've learned from playing the first game still applies in pretty much all the same ways, so if anything, you should really be able to expect it to be a whole lot easier, right?

Except it isn't. On your first playthrough, nine out of ten times it won't have mattered how careful or good you are, because there are a poo poo-ton of encounters that are intentionally set up to be straight-out unwinnable unless you know they're coming. If there's one thing I'd call genuinely bad about DS2 - in the "this is objectively lovely game design" and not the "this is too hard" kind of sense - it is that it's often frankly unfair, because Dark Souls 2 loves to go entirely against that and just throw crowds of enemies at you out of nowhere. When you get ambushed by 8+ hollows bumrushing you with claymores, the first time you just die, because that's basically the worst possible situation for you to ever be in. At that point, you're by design already unable to do anything about it anymore.
No, the first time you backpedal and hit them when you have an opening

posts about dark souls 2 enemy encounters always confuse me because I usually just don't know what part they're talking about, unless it's the alonne knights a bit before smelter knight.
like, is the "hollows with claymores" bit you're talking about the part with a lot of the soldier hollows in lost bastille? is that the part you found to be "frankly unfair"? why?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

IronicDongz posted:

No, the first time you backpedal and hit them when you have an opening

posts about dark souls 2 enemy encounters always confuse me because I usually just don't know what part they're talking about, unless it's the alonne knights a bit before smelter knight.
like, is the "hollows with claymores" bit you're talking about the part with a lot of the soldier hollows in lost bastille? is that the part you found to be "frankly unfair"? why?

I think he means that trap in Forest right after Pate?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Everywhere the Pursuer shows up is also kind of a dick move. Good luck if anything else was still living before you triggered that fucker lol

But that's ok to me, cus i will just take my loss and say, good show game, you got me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The six or more Royal Greatsword soldiers that swarm you after you open the door towards the Ruin Sentinels felt like almost as much of an obstacle as the Sentinels themselves to me when I first played DS2. They are pretty drat tough, it's a whole lot of them, they all aggro at once if you're not suuuper careful, and it's a very constrained area. Especially if you just go in there. For me, the complaint that it feels extremely unfair when you haven't found out how DS2 ticks rings very true.