Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Just FYI, Scott Wise is a coke fiend and is having his pants sued off for defrauding investors, and as a result the downtown Indy location has been closed. As far as I know, the Three Wise Men location in Broad Ripple is still up and running. Somehow.

Edit:

loving hell, King David's is closed too now.

Reynold fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Yeah, no more good Dawgs in the city :(. gently caress this Earth.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Welp, it appears that I should have housing secured ( as long as this goes well ) thanks to the goon group. Thanks everyone!

Now to just figure out a flight....

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Dr. Quarex posted:

Wednesday is the day I am most singularly likely to have nothing going on and be sitting by myself on the couch in Captain Rat's living room, so I could get behind something like a semi-monthly viewing night (if we wanted to get through a lot of things by Gen-Con; monthly would probably make it seem more important, because obviously that is our intent)

I also may well be free Friday/Saturday/Sunday nights after like 9 P.M. Central (GMT-6) too

Where is Mio and hello SolusLunes!!! Welcome!!! I love you forever!!! Whether you used "mark" in the wrestling or general carny sense, I totally dig it.

I honestly think a graph of how much money I spent at Gen-Con would show a continual decrease over time, or at the very least my expenditure as a percentage of how much money I had available to spend would continually go down, so yeah...you will probably go berserk and spend too much money on miniatures. But that just means you GET IT.

Mio is somewhere in bumfuck northern Michigan.

But goddamn I gotta play me some battletech when I get to Gencon.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

SolusLunes posted:

If you ask a Michigander, they'll show you the palm of their right hand, point to the spot where the first joint of their index finger would extend across to their middle finger, and say "Mio is here."

Because that's how we roll. :colbert:

Texibus
May 18, 2008
If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Ilor posted:

If you ask a Michigander, they'll show you the palm of their right hand, point to the spot where the first joint of their index finger would extend across to their middle finger, and say "Mio is here."

Mio is still in the middle of nowhere though.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Double Agent posted:

Mio is still in the middle of nowhere though.
True.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Ilor posted:

I mean that's about right

also it supremely embitters me now that I live in wisconsin that wisconsin has the gall to call itself the mitten state

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

SolusLunes posted:

also it supremely embitters me now that I live in wisconsin that wisconsin has the gall to call itself the mitten state
What the gently caress? Have they never looked at a goddamn map? That skinny poo poo that sticks out around Green Bay ain't no thumb, and anyone who says or implies otherwise can fight me.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
No one in Wisconsin says that.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

SolusLunes posted:

You messed up now, SolusLunes, oh, you betcha; you told the son of a Yooper that Mio is Northern Michigan

Gonna take a bite of this Trenary Toast and bust a pasty across your face. What? No, ugh, come on you guys, you know I am talking about the traditional miner's lunch

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Ilor posted:

What the gently caress? Have they never looked at a goddamn map? That skinny poo poo that sticks out around Green Bay ain't no thumb, and anyone who says or implies otherwise can fight me.

For real, if that's an actual thing then we'll have to go to war with another state. Again.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am currently reading in open-mouthed horror the thread on the official forums where a half-dozen people were furious last year that the e-ticketing system might prevent them from... O.K., just read some of my favorite quotes demonstrating a level of astounding privilege I actually did not realize was possible when talking about gaming (but of course I should have known better):

True Dungeon Players With A Healthy Attitude Towards Gaming posted:

We were also promised the ability to ghost runs (where a person buys multiple tickets for a single person - usually where 2-5 people bought out a whole run)
[...]
Judging by the TD forums, we represent at least 25% of all tickets used.
[...]
You are asking TD to change a long standing pattern of play by some of its most ardent supporters. Some of whom support TD through large token purchases. Those purchases make possible the development of sets and props between Cons.
[...]
First... although it's not impossible, it's extremely unlikely to find people in the WaitList who are geared for Nightmare difficulty. Since you can only do Nightmare with a unanimous vote, the people who buy $500 - $1000 (or more) of tokens in order to play at that level will almost always coordinate with a group of people who are similarly equipped. Failure to do so either results in them standing for hours in the waitlist looking for a group willing to do Nightmare with them, or giving up and playing on Normal mode where their tokens let them one-shot the monster while the rest of the group stands around and glares at them for hogging all the glory.
[...]
please dont think that all hardcore TD players want to avoid new players, many of us enjoy running with new players and introducing them to the game we love, but we also want to make sure we get at least one of each dungeon at higher difficulty.
Please do not think we are avoiding new players, we [seemingly a dozen or more groups of 2-5 people] just want to be 100% sure that we have "at least" one of each [of the 2-4] True Dungeon scenarios played on nightmare mode.

This implies that the ideal would be 6-12 rounds of True Dungeon (assuming two rounds each on Nightmare and one each where they deign to allow newbies), at a total cost per person (assuming 2-5 players, $79/ticket) of between $790 (five players, six games [two being normal single-ticket cost]) and $3,476 (two players, twelve games [four being normal single-ticket cost]) per person to have a fun time at Gen-Con. Without the cost of buying tokens, which if I am taking the post at its own word, might be another $500-1,000/year. Seems like a fun good time to me. Though I suppose that is still less than people have spent on Star Citizen

This might go a long way both towards explaining why the tickets are always sold out and why they keep raising ticket prices hoping these people will stop (O.K. I doubt that part is true).

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 6, 2019

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Wow. I did True Dungeon exactly once and, while I enjoyed it, I feel that was enough for a lifetime.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Avenging Dentist posted:

Wow. I did True Dungeon exactly once and, while I enjoyed it, I feel that was enough for a lifetime.

:same:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I still play a few True Dungeon runs per year with Deviant, but that's mostly because we found a group of high-rollers that loan us the gear poker chips so we can do the hardcore difficulty runs with them. In exchange we give them all the loot chips we get and go out for drinks with them. It's a good system

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That actually does sound like a good system.

It reminds me of the awesome deal I set up when I first started playing Magic: The Gathering; I let two of my friends' younger brothers scam me out of my dual lands and other rare cards for virtually nothing, and in exchange the two of them were the ones who destroyed their lives with heroin.

(Edit: No but your system really does sound good)

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

djfooboo posted:

Yeah, no more good Dawgs in the city :(. gently caress this Earth.

Portillo's

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

True Dungeon always seems to me like the worst parts of LARP and MtG combined into something super expensive.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

If you’re ever in the mood for something like True Dungeon but don’t want to do True Dungeon, you should head to Wizard Quest in the Wisconsin Dells!

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Dr. Quarex posted:

It reminds me of the awesome deal I set up when I first started playing Magic: The Gathering; I let two of my friends' younger brothers scam me out of my dual lands and other rare cards for virtually nothing, and in exchange the two of them were the ones who destroyed their lives with heroin.

Going through a mental list of our mutual acquaintances with brothers like :stare:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

BlackIronHeart posted:

For real, if that's an actual thing then we'll have to go to war with another state. Again.

Wisconsin looks way more like a hand than Michigan does. If you truly want to look like a mitten then give us back the UP. *opinion of a native wisconsinite*

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

nesbit37 posted:

Wisconsin looks way more like a hand than Michigan does. If you truly want to look like a mitten then give us back the UP. *opinion of a native wisconsinite*
The UP was never yours to start with. Besides, it was our consolation prize for losing a war with Ohio over Toldeo. :cripes: So yeah, the UP is ours, we won (lost?) it fair and square.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Avenging Dentist posted:

If you’re ever in the mood for something like True Dungeon but don’t want to do True Dungeon, you should head to Wizard Quest in the Wisconsin Dells!
Oh snap, I already made plans to go there this summer, I need to remember this. Though somehow I doubt my 2-year-old will get much out of it. He can just take the car and go somewhere else while I am at Wizard Quest.

CaptainRat posted:

Going through a mental list of our mutual acquaintances with brothers like :stare:
Well their older siblings are a trans woman and an anti-alimony activist karate yoga master if that helps (possibly not as much as it should)

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist

Not in the city. Closest ones are Avon/Greenwood - best case 20 minutes from downtown.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Dr. Quarex posted:

Oh snap, I already made plans to go there this summer, I need to remember this. Though somehow I doubt my 2-year-old will get much out of it. He can just take the car and go somewhere else while I am at Wizard Quest.

Wizard Quest is mainly for kids (though a little older than 2), but there’s cool stuff to look at even if your kid can’t do all the, well, questing. If you haven’t read about Wizard Quest already, it’s basically a scavenger hunt with some riddles that you have to solve. There’s a ball pit and some slides and a hall of mirrors, to give you a bit of an idea of what to expect. The real fun is just exploring all the little books and crannies though.

If you like slightly hokey roadside attractions, Wizard Quest is the best. It also manages to feel a lot more like someone’s weird passion project than most stuff in the Dells.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Avenging Dentist posted:

I really enjoyed it (and I also enjoy escape rooms and poo poo because I'm a dork), but those escape rooms are like $25-$30 and one run of True Dungeon is twice that or more. I would do it more, but my Gen Con dollars/hours will just go other places.

This year, it will probably be KeyForge and Super Show tournaments, several rounds of Blood on the Clocktower, and... who knows what else.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I have a bunch of True Dungeon tokens I should probably dump. I decided I wanted to get into it more seriously about 3 years ago and spent more than I should have on tokens and did a few transmutes. After Gen Con that year I came to my senses and realized if I was going to spend my gaming money on something it should not be something that costs the better part of $100 per 2 hour experience plus extra money on it's collecting aspects (which honestly is what I think I enjoyed more than the dungeons themselves).

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Not to mention something you then cannot do 98% of the year, but I suppose you can probably do it elsewhere. There might even be a year-round location for all I know.

CellBlock posted:

I really enjoyed it (and I also enjoy escape rooms and poo poo because I'm a dork), but those escape rooms are like $25-$30 and one run of True Dungeon is twice that or more. I would do it more, but my Gen Con dollars/hours will just go other places.
Ooh, the phrase "Gen Con dollars/hours" suddenly makes me wonder, despite generally encouraging positivity, what was everyone's worst use of time and/or money at Tha G-C?!?

Mine has to be the time I played NASCRAG at my friend's suggestion, and spent the entire time either unable to hear the gamemaster or being forced to sing "wacky" lyric-shifted ABBA songs to advance the plot. They must be doing something right, given their 40+-consecutive year run, but... But.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
True Dungeon was definitely in the "not worth the money" camp for me. My wife loves it, but I was kinda "meh."

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Dr. Quarex posted:

Ooh, the phrase "Gen Con dollars/hours" suddenly makes me wonder, despite generally encouraging positivity, what was everyone's worst use of time and/or money at Tha G-C?!?

Mine has to be the time I played NASCRAG at my friend's suggestion, and spent the entire time either unable to hear the gamemaster or being forced to sing "wacky" lyric-shifted ABBA songs to advance the plot. They must be doing something right, given their 40+-consecutive year run, but... But.

True Dungeon three years ago is #1 in my books for worst GC/Dollar ratio next to a Killer Breakfast I was dragged to last minute (I did not purchase the ticket, it was a friend’s who was unable to go and the purchaser wanted to fill it). I may of spent zero dollars but I spent time not sleeping that morning to watch his daughter sing and then odd hijinks.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Ilor posted:

True Dungeon was definitely in the "not worth the money" camp for me. My wife loves it, but I was kinda "meh."

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I'd have to say my worst use of time at GC was the last time I entered into the Star Wars: Armada National Tournament. For the uninitiated, it's a dope rear end star wars fleet combat game by Fantasy Flight. Over the course of two days and 12+ hours of my Friday and Saturday (I think? cannot remember the exact days), I had the privilege of being talked down to by the strangest assortment of tryhard rules lawyering wargamers ever collected in one place. Even when I was stomping the poo poo out of somebody, it felt like an awful slog because of the attitudes of my fellow gamers. I'm the kind of guy who can have a good time not winning, because I like the game I'm playing, but this tournament is what finally convinced me to never spend any time competitively playing a wargame ever again. I just kept thinking to myself "I could be doing literally anything else. My girlfriend is wandering the exhibit hall and buying stuff and running into old friends without me right now. I'm starving and we're 25 minutes into a 45 minute game that this fucker is going to make take two hours." I had people try to take games to time and then rush me through my final turn so they could get an extra round of shooting in after the clock stopped and win, I had guys ask me questions about what my intentions were and then argue that since I had declared I was going to do a thing that we had now moved on to the next phase and I could no longer continue what I was doing, etc. etc. Never again.

You know how people tell you that if you're not enjoying a demo or a game to just get up and leave? They're right, my dudes.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Gen Con time is more precious than gold. Suffer not the grognards.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I’ve done True Dungeon twice and don’t ever need to do it again, but probably will once some new people come to Gen Con who haven’t done it before. My group has some people who rotate in and out every year, and the people who haven’t done True Dungeon are jealous of our stories. It’s hard for me to say it wasn’t worth it, since the first time I made upwards of $400 by selling loot and the second time the group we were paired with was so insanely dysfunctional that my friends and I had great stories and laughs about it later.

Worst spent time so far has easily been a demo of Dark Souls board game. The person running the time slot was more interested in talking to their friend than teach us, the scenario sucked and didn’t show off main game mechanics, and all of my friends and I just felt like the game sucked in general.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Some of the local X-wing players play at Gencon. I can't imagine spending so long over three days to play one game when there is so much other stuff.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before but the last two years I've spent a ton of money on board games that I've never even played. This year I'm just going hogwild on RPGs, old and new. At least I can read them if my group never players them.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm sure I've mentioned it before but the last two years I've spent a ton of money on board games that I've never even played. This year I'm just going hogwild on RPGs, old and new. At least I can read them if my group never players them.

That's been my Gen Con spending journey, as well! The first few years I went hog wild on games, realized that we didn't play a lot of them outside of that week, and then started buying RPG supplements instead. We still don't use the majority of them, but they make for fun reading and stealing ideas to transplant to other settings.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Some of the local X-wing players play at Gencon. I can't imagine spending so long over three days to play one game when there is so much other stuff.

playing in the gencon x-wing tourney burned me out so hard i sold my stuff the next day.

and i was doing *well*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I had a friend who came a few years and constantly asked if we should go catch a film at the local theater which just seemed like the most enormous waste of GenCon time ever.

Personally I've mostly been lucky with games. One or two groggy dweebs and events where the host skipped out. I did a demo of the Orcs Must Die game last(?) year that was kinda meh given that the guy running it had no interest in running it at all but even that ended up being fun thanks to the group playing it.