Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krankenstyle posted:

Is he the one where his daughter wrote a reply like "my dad is a piece of poo poo, I have literally disowned him, and nobody should listen to him"?

Hahah yeah I didn't learn about that detail until I googled his name today

Homeboy seems like a real cool dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Digirat posted:

they're paying their employees less money than they'd make using the same skillset as a software developer

I worked with an ex-rockstar employee at a non-game software company and he was making less as a senior dev at rockstar than I was as a junior dev at the place we both worked at (same geographic area too)

neogeo0823 posted:

Ffffffffffuck, that last bullet point is me, but not for programming. gently caress. Like, I did exactly that poo poo, just I don't program. gently caress, I need to turn my life around.

You can do it friendo :cheerdoge:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Ffffffffffuck, that last bullet point is me, but not for programming. gently caress. Like, I did exactly that poo poo, just I don't program. gently caress, I need to turn my life around.

Maybe try free code camp or similar?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Captain Monkey posted:

Maybe try free code camp or similar?

Wouldn't that just entrench me further? I don't wanna dig deeper into this well, I wanna run screaming from it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Compare that to streaming of TV shows and movies where every loving company wants to have their own service and stuff appears and vanishes on the main ones so often you have no clue what's even available at any given moment. No way in hell you'll pay for a subscription to all of them especially when you don't even know if you'll be able to watch what you want to see at any random moment. Then sometimes stuff will just plain not be available anywhere for streaming even if it's popular. Piracy of that stuff is up massively last I heard specifically because it can be so difficult to find legitimately people get frustrated, give up, and roll the dice with torrents.
It's a lot harder to slip a virus into a video file, too. A game is a program you have to run, while a video file's just a video file unless they're trying to name it like "Definitely Real Movie.avi.exe".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Compare that to streaming of TV shows and movies where every loving company wants to have their own service and stuff appears and vanishes on the main ones so often you have no clue what's even available at any given moment. No way in hell you'll pay for a subscription to all of them especially when you don't even know if you'll be able to watch what you want to see at any random moment. Then sometimes stuff will just plain not be available anywhere for streaming even if it's popular. Piracy of that stuff is up massively last I heard specifically because it can be so difficult to find legitimately people get frustrated, give up, and roll the dice with torrents.

And that sort of stuff actually goes up exponentially for countries outside the U.S., especially when the shows are imported from other countries.

Australia's a hotbed of it because of the nature of both our streaming and TV station setup just not being consumer-friendly, especially for the big shows. The famous one is Game of Thrones of course (only showed on the streaming service you only get with a cable subscription, and with a delay on top of that I believe), but I feel like the best way to illustrate just how hosed up the actual landscape can be is probably the Arrowverse from the CW. Because they cross over quite often, you probably want to have access to all of them, but the problem is...

-Netflix owns the rights to show Arrow, and also Black Lightning if you count it.
-The first two seasons of The Flash are on Stan, the streaming service that's joint-owned by all our big free-to-air stations.
-The other seasons of The Flash, as well as Legends of Tomorrow, are on Foxtel Go, the streaming service you can only get supplementary to a cable subscription.
-And Supergirl is available on none of them. It airs on a cable channel, but if you want to watch it legally by your own schedule then your only option is iTunes or DVDs.

And yet when it comes to video games, the only time you really see a tangible uptick in Australian piracy/VPN usage are the rare times when content is censored or removed because our gaming classification is still pretty stringent.

This is basically entirely unrelated to the subject at hand, but Australia's media landscape kinda really sucks, yo.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Zereth posted:

It's a lot harder to slip a virus into a video file, too. A game is a program you have to run, while a video file's just a video file unless they're trying to name it like "Definitely Real Movie.avi.exe".

Unless you were stupid enough to open WMV or WMA files, or you didn’t know any better. Microsoft decided it would be a really good idea to let developers implement their own DRM with them, meaning they could have them pop up a webpage or run scripts when opened.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

neogeo0823 posted:

Wouldn't that just entrench me further? I don't wanna dig deeper into this well, I wanna run screaming from it.

Check if there's a union brewing, but not loudly cause theyll shitcan you for talking about it. But I mean there's a real movement towards unionizing in the tech world, including games, and I can only say it is totally worth it.

But if you wanna get out, just start applying for coding/graphics whatever jobs elsewhere. Your current employment is usually enough to get your foot in the door to show what you can do.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Double Punctuation posted:

Unless you were stupid enough to open WMV or WMA files, or you didn’t know any better. Microsoft decided it would be a really good idea to let developers implement their own DRM with them, meaning they could have them pop up a webpage or run scripts when opened.

Yeah, took me by surprise the first time that happened.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

like an rear end in a top hat i just had an aversion against wma files for the principle of it, and im glad to hear that it was the correct choice

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Krankenstyle posted:

Check if there's a union brewing, but not loudly cause theyll shitcan you for talking about it. But I mean there's a real movement towards unionizing in the tech world, including games, and I can only say it is totally worth it.

But if you wanna get out, just start applying for coding/graphics whatever jobs elsewhere. Your current employment is usually enough to get your foot in the door to show what you can do.

No, like, I currently work in aerospace manufacturing. I produce pneumatic and fuel control valves that go in airplanes and military craft. Before that, i was a service and install tech for a payment/payroll processing company. I don't program or code. I have no talent for it, and no experience in it. But I do everything else in that last bullet point for these other jobs.

I've really been wanting to get into HVAC for the last few years. I'm not 100% sure it's for me, but poo poo, at this point it can't be any worse than anything else I've done in the past.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Discovered this in Warframe earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M-awZh9kaU

(Footage of the glitch starts at about 0:55, the stuff before that is to show off the exact conditions for the bug)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I must go now. My planet needs me.

https://i.imgur.com/LjMP0e2.mp4

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

No, like, I currently work in aerospace manufacturing. I produce pneumatic and fuel control valves that go in airplanes and military craft. Before that, i was a service and install tech for a payment/payroll processing company. I don't program or code. I have no talent for it, and no experience in it. But I do everything else in that last bullet point for these other jobs.

I've really been wanting to get into HVAC for the last few years. I'm not 100% sure it's for me, but poo poo, at this point it can't be any worse than anything else I've done in the past.

Come to New Hampshire and I'll teach you how to deal poker

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

You've passed background checks for government programs and have a solid work history. You can find a decent job anywhere in the US

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

haveblue posted:

I must go now. My planet needs me.

https://i.imgur.com/LjMP0e2.mp4

Taking lessons from Box Art Mega Man, I see.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Piracy of games is down because things like Steam and GOG make it stupidly easy to get the game.

Its also because outside new releases, games in sales are available in unlimited supply, available basically immediately after the purchase, and cost next to nothing.

In the great pirating days of 90's, the games cost here 70-100e regardless of the title or age, and there was no guarantee that the physical media inside the box actually worked, or that the game installed or ran properly, and if your local game shop was out of something, you mail ordered it and it might arrive in next 2-3 weeks depending on how much glue the warehouse staff on the other side of the country was sniffing at that time.

...Or you could pay nothing, and download that poo poo from the local BBS, DC hub or FTP server, play it the same night you heard about it and always get a copy as long as the host bothered to keep the image up before removing it to get disk space to host something else.

For bootleg PS1 and console stuff you had to take the ferry to Estonia or go to Vyborg market, and return with a back bag full of pirates, since being in possession of them at that time was not illegal and they cost couple of EUR per disk, and worked almost all the time flawlessly.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I remember those days of Windows 95 where PC games were still small enough that you could get a CD-ROM set with dozens of games. You just needed to know a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy. In my case, a classmate who had an older brother studying at a technical university.

I think a lot of these CD-ROM series were local though. The only one I know that was popular across the border was Twilight.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
This fantastic GDC talk from an old shareware dev includes a bit on fielding irate calls from people who purchased CDs containing dozens to hundreds of free games, including the dev's unregistered shareware game. They were not thrilled to discover they'd have to fork over even more money to get access to the rest of the game, despite the fact that the dev hadn't received a cent from the CD bundle.

I remember exploring such bundles as a kid, though I think ours all came "free" with my dad's subscriptions to various software magazines.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

If a boy in my 8th-grade class would copy a C64 disk of cracked games for me, I knew he must like me. :3:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It's not true love until they carry a printer to your house though

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It's not true love until they carry a printer to your house though

My dad always said you should never marry someone until you’ve seen them get sick, lose a job, or dive to the ground and crawl out of the room meowing to hide their boner.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This fantastic GDC talk from an old shareware dev includes a bit on fielding irate calls from people who purchased CDs containing dozens to hundreds of free games, including the dev's unregistered shareware game. They were not thrilled to discover they'd have to fork over even more money to get access to the rest of the game, despite the fact that the dev hadn't received a cent from the CD bundle.

I remember exploring such bundles as a kid, though I think ours all came "free" with my dad's subscriptions to various software magazines.
I spent a lot of time with these as a poor child, despite having an NES. They were neat because you never knew what the hell you were going to get, and there was a thrill in finding hidden gems in there.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Those CDs were great and I've even bought a few off eBay in the last year or two and set up a Windoes 98 VM to relive the memories. Last time I tried to see if they still sold them at Wal-Mart or wherever, they were just CDs full of dozens/hundreds of variations of card games or slot machines. It was like walking into a physical app store.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Today has been a very special day: I have discovered my first AAA glitch! And it's a fun one!

I feel so happy to finally find one of these silly, silly visions.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Come to think of it, Asscreed games really haven't shown any respect to any other facet of history, so it borders on a miracle that they haven't had you meet Jesus yet.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I'm not entirely sure what made you to think about Jesus, but I approve the concept of Christ with 3 meter arms.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Kennel posted:

I'm not entirely sure what made you to think about Jesus, but I approve the concept of Christ with 3 meter arms.

They wouldn't be able to find a cross big enough to nail Him to

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kennel posted:

Well, he is walking on water.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

StandardVC10 posted:

They wouldn't be able to find a cross big enough to nail Him to

You knew he'd gain immunity eventually.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I used to get those shareware disks. I still play a couple of the games over 20 years later. I found the dev of one on Facebook and told him. He was thrilled.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
A friend of mine was playing Fallout 4 and somehow had this happen- she had to revert to an earlier save because she couldn't fix it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQJjWJp_EO8

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
he's just tuckered out after the big battle, let him rest

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

freeedr posted:

I used to get those shareware disks. I still play a couple of the games over 20 years later. I found the dev of one on Facebook and told him. He was thrilled.

I played the poo poo out of a bunch of 90s shareware. When I went back as an adult with money and bought / tracked down freeware releases I was in for a bitter reckoning because it turned out they all packed 90% of the gameplay into the demo version. You'd play 10 or 20 really polished levels and then they sold you 200 mostly empty filler levels that they churned out as quickly as possible.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shareware discs are how I played Castle of the Winds, the only one of those games good enough to be memorable.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kennel posted:

Because they've already done the whole "this historic miracle was actually caused by an alien artifact!" so having Jesus in the game wouldn't surprise anyone.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Shareware discs are how I played Castle of the Winds, the only one of those games good enough to be memorable.

Shame on this person for dissing Duke Nukem and Commander Keen

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Devor posted:

Shame on this person for dissing Duke Nukem and Commander Keen
I forgot those were shareware! I had both back on DOS along with Solar Winds and Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure. A lot of my friends didn't believe me when I said there was a 2D Duke Nukem.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Hocus Pocus. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I thought there was an episode of Commander Keen that was effectively lost because the shareware approach meant nobody had it, but I can't find any evidence of that.

When checking that I did find out that apparently Keen Dreams, and only Keen Dreams, is on Nintendo Switch, though. I think that counts for this thread, because there had to be some glitch in reality to cause that to happen.