Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

So Math posted:

Does anyone have a link for the previous Bonerjamz?

E: Found it. https://synthgoons.bandcamp.com/album/boner-jamz

Snorchie’s “Repairman” is still one of the greatest songs to come out of these Boner Jams comps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Be aware it's also a very different workflow.

The drum requires you to craft the sounds through a menu, and in general volcas are cool sounding boxes but not so good for on the fly improvisation.

The drumbrute has a better interface, sequencer and velocity sensitive pads making it more suited for live playing.

If you have the occasion to compare them give them a try

That’s tough because on one hand I don’t really care about playing live, but my entire songwriting approach is based on improvising and coming up with good stuff. I guess that’s not different from anyone though really so I should be okay. As long as it’s easy enough to come up with some patterns and interesting sounds without taking hours and hours then I should be set.

No chance to compare them but that’s alright. I’ll keep demo digging for a bit and check out some other mentioned drum machines. The Drum has really got me hooked though. It’s a shame I’m someone who has to own and play with a thing to “get” it but I’m still getting a general idea of the flow of it and the Brute via YouTube.

Might be hard to answer but what is the dumbed down neverownedadrummachine summary of the drumbrute impact vs volca drum in terms of the workflow.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Kilometers Davis posted:

That’s tough because on one hand I don’t really care about playing live, but my entire songwriting approach is based on improvising and coming up with good stuff. I guess that’s not different from anyone though really so I should be okay. As long as it’s easy enough to come up with some patterns and interesting sounds without taking hours and hours then I should be set.

No chance to compare them but that’s alright. I’ll keep demo digging for a bit and check out some other mentioned drum machines. The Drum has really got me hooked though. It’s a shame I’m someone who has to own and play with a thing to “get” it but I’m still getting a general idea of the flow of it and the Brute via YouTube.

Might be hard to answer but what is the dumbed down neverownedadrummachine summary of the drumbrute impact vs volca drum in terms of the workflow.

I loved my volcas and kept them for more than a year but eventually I found their sequencers and workflows to be a chore and it was preventing me from having fun unless I triggered them through midi with other devices.

But it's true they sound really really good for the price.

e: to be more precise: it was more true for the Volcas with keyboards (keys/bass/FM/kick). The sequencer of the Sample was easier to use and I guess it's more similar to the drum. But eventually all I was doing was 16-steps sequences, muting and un-muting channels and twisting knobs. It didn't really invite me to do more complex stuff with it like play with song mode or try to do drum fills

e2: in unrelated news I'm going to get the AY3 MKII delivered in few hours an I can't wait to add some 6-voices polyphony stereo chiptune madness to my tracks :awesomelon: too late for the Bonerjam though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0KcA41SUHI&t=285s

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 3, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m bored of watching demos and second guessing myself so I just ordered a Volca Drum. I’m hyped! Thanks for the info :)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Kilometers Davis posted:

If you have an iPad you should seriously get Patterning 2

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I loved my volcas and kept them for more than a year but eventually I found their sequencers and workflows to be a chore and it was preventing me from having fun unless I triggered them through midi with other devices.

But it's true they sound really really good for the price.

e: to be more precise: it was more true for the Volcas with keyboards (keys/bass/FM/kick). The sequencer of the Sample was easier to use and I guess it's more similar to the drum. But eventually all I was doing was 16-steps sequences, muting and un-muting channels and twisting knobs. It didn't really invite me to do more complex stuff with it like play with song mode or try to do drum fills

i had the volca sample and while the onboard sequencer was ok for 16 step patterns the fact that you would have to spend another $50 on a midi cable to fix its horrific midi implementation (along with the better ios transfer app no longer being supported) caused me to sell it

it looks like the midi is actually decent on the drum which means ill be mostly sequencing it externally (either through my daw or my sl mk3)

also the drum has the randomize feature which should help immensely, both in sound design and sequencing since you can randomize either one or both

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Gringostar posted:

i had the volca sample and while the onboard sequencer was ok for 16 step patterns the fact that you would have to spend another $50 on a midi cable to fix its horrific midi implementation (along with the better ios transfer app no longer being supported) caused me to sell it

This is the main thing about the Sample. It's not really a sampler so much as a limited sequencer for samples.

It definitely got me interested in sampling, but I'm definitely *more* interested in an MPC or something else more robust now. The price point is the biggest selling point of the Volca to me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you have an iPad you should seriously get Patterning 2

I don’t like software BUT I can’t lie this looks incredibly fun. Does it ever go on sale? I’ll probably pick it up down the line either way. It looks like it would be perfect on my Pro.

I can’t waaaaiiit to get this Volca Drum. Delivery estimate is the 8th so I hope that’s true.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Did you know that the Moog factory has a livestream channel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvW0y8ITq-g

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don’t like software BUT I can’t lie this looks incredibly fun. Does it ever go on sale? I’ll probably pick it up down the line either way. It looks like it would be perfect on my Pro.

I can’t waaaaiiit to get this Volca Drum. Delivery estimate is the 8th so I hope that’s true.

It does but just, like, get it- you can use it as a midi programmer for external gear

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Did you know that the Moog factory has a livestream channel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvW0y8ITq-g

This will stop Tim from stealing poo poo for sure.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Philthy posted:

I hope in a few years we have a moog remake of Johnny Cash's One Piece at a Time by this kid.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Philthy posted:

I misread this as 'stop Uli from stealing poo poo' and got very amused.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
if Uli is the pirate king, I’m willing to join his crew, :pirate:

I simultaneously wish he could get more poo poo onto market faster so I don’t have to wait so long to get them, and hope to the heavens that they don’t come out so fast I can’t afford to get all the ones I want before they get discontinued.

I had originally intended to submit something for the bonerjamz, but the realization that it would mean rearranging the studio so I can hook up my JX-305 (which hasn’t really been used on anything in years and was gathering dust) made me go all :effort: and so I just smoked more weed instead.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

if Uli is the pirate king, I’m willing to join his crew, :pirate:

did you hear about this? https://www.factmag.com/2018/06/20/behringer-dave-smith-libel-case/

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Who's in control of the synthgoons bandcamp page? I can upload the new Bonerjamz to my own page if needed, but it makes more sense to me having them both together.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

I finally bought a Yamaha Montage 6. Will be here tomorrow and I'm just freaking the gently caress out about it.

I've been using a Casio XW-P1 and Deepmind 12 (Which they will have to pry from my cold dead hands when I die).

My newest album just released on the 2nd, and I just cannot wait to start doing poo poo with the Montage.

Mistayke fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 4, 2019

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
What was that app you guys were taking about? I could’ve sworn it was “patterning”, but couldn’t find it in the App Store.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

What was that app you guys were taking about? I could’ve sworn it was “patterning”, but couldn’t find it in the App Store.

Patterning 2
https://olympianoiseco.com/apps/patterning-2/

Are you looking from your phone? ipad-only apps won’t show up when you are browsing the app store from a phone.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

HotCanadianChick posted:

Patterning 2
https://olympianoiseco.com/apps/patterning-2/

Are you looking from your phone? ipad-only apps won’t show up when you are browsing the app store from a phone.

Ahhh, ok, thats why. Thanks!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I already have an mt-40 but should I get an mt-45 as well? $60 on CL

My partner is going to flip if I buy another minikeyboard

I also want the Yamaha reface electric piano

thpook
Jul 30, 2003

squawk

Gringostar posted:

how are your soldering skills?

the volca beats is still amazingly cheep if you can do the snare fix yourself

the volca drum is coming out soon and it's basically an er-1 that you can run through a rings module, so digital but sounds great

comedy option is to try and source a rhythm wolf or tomcat not actually a comedy option

I have a Rhythm Wolf. It's ok. The Tom Cat on the other hand has Disco Toms instead of a stupid monosynth and they are a little better than ok.

Just a little.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I messaged So Math already but I won't be able to get the Boner Jamz music video in on time so I'm out of that. I tried to actually set up a music video shoot but doing that at last minute is tough with very little money and actual work stuff came up. I'm still gonna try to do the music video but definitely not in time for the deadline.

In other news, I decided to do some synth surgery on my JD-990 today because I finally wanted to get rid of that weird release tail noise I've been getting since I bought it, and I recently was getting weird sample and hold noise on one of my patches without any key presses. Turns out I misunderstood this whole time what people meant when tuning to that A440 sine wave in test mode and why you really do need a oscilloscope to do this: the pitch stays as 440 Hz and the potentiometer changes the shape of the wave. Doing comparisons between what my JD-990 was putting out and an actual 440 Hz sine wave, mine sounded more like a pulse wave so I had to rough in the potentiometer so that they both sounded similar. Whether or not it looks like an actual sine wave now doesn't really matter since the synth sounds way better now.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
:roboluv:Click here for Boner Jamz!:roboluv:

Thanks again to all of our artists:

So Math fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 8, 2019

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Ooooooooooo, album closer. That's a new one. :buddy:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I am very excited about this. Thanks for putting it together!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
now what are we gonna do for 4/20 this year?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I was going to participate in Boner Jamz but I wasn't pleased with what I had and then when I was trying to rework it into something passable I fell asleep.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

I was going to participate in Boner Jamz but I wasn't pleased with what I had and then when I was trying to rework it into something passable I fell asleep.

I didn’t have enough time in the end to get out of the woods with mine. Prolly should’ve moved on to a blank slate sooner but I dig what I have and there’s a finished song in that there marble block.

Oh well, we’ll do more of these

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
well done y'all we did it :sax:

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Nice work everyone!!! You guys are inspiring me to actually finish a track.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

finish a track.

You're doing synths wrong.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Synth tracks are never finished, only abandoned.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

VoodooXT posted:

Synth tracks are never finished, only abandoned.

This is all of my tracks, synth or no.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just had a neighbor move in across the street. As I was finishing up a run they were curb alerting a fully functional Alesis drum kit. Said he hadn't out even two hours into it and decided he didn't want to put it in attic.

He had just put it on Nextdoor to so perfect timing on my part.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Flipperwaldt posted:

Here's a Bonerjamz entry: https://picosong.com/wb95T/

You should feel free to throw it on Youtube if that suits you better. I can't video.

Done! Would anyone else like this treatment?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f03IJTKwQwI

I'm holding off on the video judging in case anyone has a surprise entry in the next 90 minutes.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So my Volca Drum will be in tomorrow. Can’t loving wait. It’s my first drum machine. Is there anything I should know or should I just go wild and dive in until I start making sense of it? I’m typically a hands on learner so that’s often the best way for me.

Not that I ever finish projects but I would love to break it in with another collab or something soon.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Hey, this video needs several million more views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcbpRMZIQ8g

I thought I had found it on SA, but can't find the thread it was in.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
And the winner of my music video challenge is A LOVELY LAD, with RE: Jan mob! Congratulations! :toot:
https://vimeo.com/327543942

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

So Math posted:

And the winner of my music video challenge is A LOVELY LAD, with RE: Jan mob! Congratulations! :toot:

Hooray!

To be a complete pain in the rear end, can I pass the avatar on to someone else in this thread who you deem to be deserving or somone who put in a song and doesn't have an av?

Cheers again!