Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

American McGay posted:

My biggest complain would be that they soak up the oils from your hands in a manner that makes them look really "used" even through just normal use.

The best habit I ever started was washing my hands every time before picking up a controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My left joycons all have some kind of drifting problem. I can usually mitigate it with moving the joystick in a circle. I've put this thing through several hundred hours of Sonic, Mario, and Zelda which I would assume put some heavy wear and tear on the joystick.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The only time 720p gets in the way is if I'm trying to look at a very distant object in a big, open area, but I can't think of any Switch games that render distant objects with a high level of detail in the first place.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My only issue with Switch controllers is wondering whose goddamn idea it was to make clicking in the thumbstick on the Pokeball Go controller the input for "A" instead of the actual button. Because that sure as hell won't get nudged to adjacent menu options half the time, and it won't let you remap it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Why is the store so lovely

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Over There posted:

Why is the store so lovely

People complained enough about Nintendo being gimmicky that they just gave you the bare minimum in a store. It's janky and boring and still better than the competition.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Your Computer posted:

I've had my Switch since 2017 and have never had any issues with the joycons (or anything else) and I've played with them exclusively since I only use it handheld. Not for lack of use either, I've almost exclusively played video games on the Switch since I got it.

With how much people are talking about having gone through fifteen joycons and stuff I guess I was lucky and got the secret indestructible ones :iiam:

Oddly enough unlike everyone else my right launch joycon was the one that developed the drift in it. At the very least it gave me an excuse to spend money on those sweet yellow joycons.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Takoluka posted:

People complained enough about Nintendo being gimmicky that they just gave you the bare minimum in a store. It's janky and boring and still better than the competition.

You'd think making it more navigable would increase sales, but what the gently caress do I know

However, we are sorely lacking in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avMLHvLwRQ

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I need a hint for Hollow Knight, I feel like I've been just about everywhere I can reach but I can't find how to progress.

I feel like I should be finding a double jump ability next? I can't figure out how to progress further in the crystal mountain without it and there's a bunch of places around the world where I can see I need it to get in. I've just killed the dreamer in the fog place (but can't reach the map guy there so I know there's more to do) and I think I've fully explored all the areas I have access to, except maybe the city since I did move relatively quickly through the areas I can reach there. I just did the tricky bit that led to the greenpath guy who teaches you charged slash, I was really hoping double jump would be at the end of that. Have I missed something obvious? Do I get it for hitting 500 of the dream energy thingies?

Also holy poo poo this game is amazing and going back to the crossroads after killing the dreamer was an experience and a half

Please be as circumspect as possible, I'm enjoying discovering stuff.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Have you poked around deep in the old places beneath the city much?

Actually, you mention progressing in Crystal Peak, you don't need double jump to get what you need from that region just so you know, but you do need what you get from the mine to get the double jump

Knorth fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 6, 2019

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I think I'm done with waterways - beat the awesome matador dung dude and got the swim in acid ability. I've been in the very deep basin place too but couldn't reach the palace(??) without double jump. It looked like a pretty small space and I think I went everywhere I could get to there. Should I be chucking geo in the fountain?

I've got the crystal dash and upgraded slam spell from crystal peak, I know there's more to explore upwards though especially since the miniboss jumped up that way but I can't figure out how to get up there without doublejump.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
There's more to the basin than the fountain and the old palace. I can't remember the spoiler tags so I'll leave it at that I guess lol

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Am I the only one who's more or less totally ok with 720p? Like, I get it; it's a lower resolution, but I find that I can't stand watching too many DF videos because I keep thinking (for the most part) "So? It looks fine, who cares? 720p is fine!"

I guess I really put gameplay and overall art direction ahead of graphics :shrug:

I do appreciate a smooth framerate, though.

I'd be happier with it if the screen were 0.5-1 inch smaller (to increase the density) and with a higher maximum brightness.

As for DF, I find their framerate analysis much more important than resolution and settings comparisons.
And DF Retro. I love DF Retro.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 6, 2019

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Knorth posted:

There's more to the basin than the fountain and the old palace. I can't remember the spoiler tags so I'll leave it at that I guess lol

Thanks, I'll have another poke around there!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

American McGay posted:

I don't try to argue with anyone since it's widespread enough of a topic that I'm sure it actually exists, but this is my experience as well. Never had any drifting or communication problems or anything.
I have a model 2 switch. The one that doesn't melt its dock, but still the loose left joycon. I was having some awful, awful, awful drifting problems playing Zelda for the last few days, and I held down power for three seconds and restarted and they largely disappeared.

But I've had drift issues from day one. Early adoption is a hell of a thing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hey Nintendo, where the gently caress are my 4k SNES games?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Where you left them

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

how is horizon chase turbo?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mega64 posted:

Hey Nintendo, where the gently caress are my 4k SNES games?
Uhh the complete US SNES library is only 700 games.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

American McGay posted:

:golfclap:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

American McGay posted:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I played it for a bit.

I think the key thing about my experience with it is that the game didn't feel like it was about course mastery as it was about navigating around your opponents. The track has a way of magnetizing your car to it around turns in a way that feels like those old NES racing games that had to fake those sort of environments, however the opponents are actually tough and willing to block and sometimes ram into you. And that's interesting! Usually racing games only have very passive racing AI, so it's neat to see the opposite here.

However I still felt somewhat bored by it. I think it's just it's overall presentation? It has a overly pristine faux-nostalgia aesthetic about it. And that combined with the overly simplistic racing made me walk away from the game feeling... Kinda alright. But not that good.'

The game does seem to have good reviews about it, so I may be in the minority here.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wamdoodle posted:

uh links?????!
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/safety-first-switch

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/smashing-the-battle-switch

Both have been on Steam for years

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I enjoy it, but it's more like a puzzle game than a racing game because of the emphasis that's put on avoiding enemies and fuel management.

I'd recommend playing with a controller with a good dpad.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Smirking_Serpent posted:

It's a pretty decent racer that's taking its cues from 90s racers like Top Gear and the Lotus series than Outrun. They even brought in one of the composers to do the music. As it is it's a good modern representation of the genre, with smooth 60 fps experience except for some odd hiccups and you can play couch multiplayer with some caveats. Online play is strictly single player time attack with ghosts from other players to run against. If you like arcade racing over realism, this could be your thing.

It's on sale once in a while, so for the price you get, you're more or less satisfied. They're also releasing the physical version in May.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don’t understand the counters in Blaster Master Zero 2. A reticle appears over an enemy’s head, then I press X and the screen focuses on them. And I think Jason fires a shot? Do I always need to face them? I can still get fired on but if I try to dodge the screen focus goes away.

Also what’s the proper way to chain through countering multi headed bosses? I got through the first big boss planet but it felt like button mashing with my counters tbh.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Am I the only one who's more or less totally ok with 720p? Like, I get it; it's a lower resolution, but I find that I can't stand watching too many DF videos because I keep thinking (for the most part) "So? It looks fine, who cares? 720p is fine!"

I guess I really put gameplay and overall art direction ahead of graphics :shrug:

I do appreciate a smooth framerate, though.

All this, except I also don't give a poo poo about framerate

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Infinitum posted:

Where you left them

Nice touch using the Master System controller with the cord coming out of the side

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Organza Quiz posted:

I think I'm done with waterways - beat the awesome matador dung dude and got the swim in acid ability. I've been in the very deep basin place too but couldn't reach the palace(??) without double jump. It looked like a pretty small space and I think I went everywhere I could get to there. Should I be chucking geo in the fountain?

I've got the crystal dash and upgraded slam spell from crystal peak, I know there's more to explore upwards though especially since the miniboss jumped up that way but I can't figure out how to get up there without doublejump.

It sounds like you're roughly where I am in the game. You can cheese the fog canyon map by using your nail to bounce off the first big jelly (the one on the right) and dash over to the high platform. But if you gently caress up, you need to reload and come back because big jellies don't respawn if you just leave the room. Took me 2 tries and I always choke under pressure, so it's not too hard.

I haven't been through the ancient basin yet. But maybe you haven't finished fog canyon? From fog canyon, you can get to Queen's gardens and then that leads to Deepnest. I don't know where double jump is because I haven't gotten past there myself, but those are the places I am going to clear next.

You don't get double jump from 500 or 700 essence. Dunno what comes after that.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

It sounds like you're roughly where I am in the game. You can cheese the fog canyon map by using your nail to bounce off the first big jelly (the one on the right) and dash over to the high platform. But if you gently caress up, you need to reload and come back because big jellies don't respawn if you just leave the room. Took me 2 tries and I always choke under pressure, so it's not too hard.

I haven't been through the ancient basin yet. But maybe you haven't finished fog canyon? From fog canyon, you can get to Queen's gardens and then that leads to Deepnest. I don't know where double jump is because I haven't gotten past there myself, but those are the places I am going to clear next.

You don't get double jump from 500 or 700 essence. Dunno what comes after that.

I don't know what you're talking about with the first room but I finished that area and made my way into the areas you mention later. For the record though next time you see someone ask for a hint and say "please be circumspect because I like discovering stuff" you want to give an answer like I got before, not explain specific rooms and exactly where different areas lead. I would have been pretty annoyed if I read your post before I'd gotten to those places.

In fact I just realised you didn't even know the answer to the one thing I did ask for a hint for, just gave a whole lot of unrelated information about things I wasn't up to. Don't do that.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 6, 2019

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:qqsay:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buddy I am a beggar AND a chooser, deal with it

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Organza Quiz posted:

I don't know what you're talking about with the first room but I finished that area and made my way into the areas you mention later. For the record though next time you see someone ask for a hint and say "please be circumspect because I like discovering stuff" you want to give an answer like I got before, not explain specific rooms and exactly where different areas lead. I would have been pretty annoyed if I read your post before I'd gotten to those places.

In fact I just realised you didn't even know the answer to the one thing I did ask for a hint for, just gave a whole lot of unrelated information about things I wasn't up to. Don't do that.

I mean, I literally just mentioned the names of the areas because I wasn't sure if you had been to them. I didn't say anything about them at all. The only specific room I mentioned was one that I knew you had been to because you mentioned it yourself. And I didn't explain how to do it - you already knew how to do it (double jump) - I just told you it was possible to cheese it with your current abilities if you wanted to.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Organza Quiz posted:

You asked for help with the game but with very vaguely defined parameters about what an acceptable level of help would be, then bitched at some guy who answered one of your questions but gave you some other (extremely benign) information you didn't want. Don't do that.

If you are that bothered about having your experience ruined, don't ask for help at all and just search more.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Yet Another Hollow Knight Meltdown

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Organza Quiz posted:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Rofl this is literally that parable pastors tell about waiting for help from the Lord during a flood, and then when you die the Lord is like i sent the boat, the helicopter, what more do you want?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I bought Enter the Gungeon and it's pretty fun! I appreciate being about to shoot in every direction instead of Isaac's four direction approach.

The controls feel kind of awkward but I'm not sure how to rebind them to feel better. I welcome any suggestions to improve the bindings.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Wildtortilla posted:

I bought Enter the Gungeon and it's pretty fun! I appreciate being about to shoot in every direction instead of Isaac's four direction approach.

The controls feel kind of awkward but I'm not sure how to rebind them to feel better. I welcome any suggestions to improve the bindings.

I have a really crazy control scheme that's pretty rad. Put the interactions(table flip) on the left thumb stick click, bind everything else (reload,shoot, ability, evade) to the 4 triggers. Also mess with the aim settings, it'll lock you in to shots if it's too strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nintendo Switch in 2019: NEXT!