Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
People following the ironman thread may know that my run just ended as my character, Arnaldo the Shaman, recently died in a freak illithid accident.

I used this run to try out a few mods, mainly the Shaman stronghold provided by the Will-of-the-Wisps mod and the White Queen. Relevant posts:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&noseen=1&postid=493485392
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&noseen=1&postid=493516802

There was one more mod waiting for me, Back to Brynnlaw, so I decided to return Arnaldo to the living for a last hurrah and post something about the Back to Brynnlaw mod here.
I won't go through the entire mod here, in part because I think it's good and anyone interested in a quest mod should check it out, so I don't want to spoil unnecessarily much. Also in part because there are lot of minor sidequests awaiting in Brynnlaw and showing them off would clutter this post.

The mod starts when you talk to this woman, who you'll meet again in Brynnlaw, in Waukeen's Promenade after returning from the Underdark.

She doesn't only know about the main character being a Bhaalspawn, but also about what happened in Spellhold, and directs you to a rogue Cowled Wizard who has a proposition:

A BORN WINNER :frogc00l:

Anyway, here's the hook and some slightly flimsy justification why CHARNAME is required for this plan.
As he sends you on your way to meet a captain to ferry you over to Brynnlaw again, he also warns you that cooperating with him will anger the Cowled Wizards.

In my case, this landed me in a fight against some Cowled Enforcers created by the mod, a few generic muggers, and the last group of Cowled Enforcers that come in when you cast spells in the street because I never got a license. So things got a bit chaotic, but overall still manageable.

After that, it's off to Brynnlaw to find a way into Spellhold, which is again under Cowled Wizard control and had its wards renewed, to see if you can save Dora's and CHARNAME's souls.
Without going into the details of how the story unfolds, here's what awaits in Brynnlaw:

A fair amount of extra dialogue with Imoen. I think some of the specific lines don't always sound like Imoen but the general tone is right for her post-Spellhold, so overall it's good. And with Imoen being mostly silent in the vanilla game it's good to have extra content for her.

As for the writing in general: it's quite good, some individual lines don't work well but all characters have their own voice. But the mod really wants you to know that there are some lovely people in Brynnlaw, occasionally just a little too much.
I also felt that the ending/final villainous exposition created more questions than it answered.

Apart from some mid-tier Golems guarding Spellhold and some adds the final boss gets you'll fight human enemies, mainly Mercenaries and Cowled Enforcers.
The fights are relatively easy for a group that got through the Underdark. The Cowled Enforcers aren't really any tougher than the ones you can fight in Athkatla if you don't pay for a license. The few Golems are all Clay Golems iirc, nothing tougher than that. These fights aren't complete no-brainers, but if you know how to handle Mage fights at all you should have no real issues. It would have been more interesting if the Cowled Wizards had used the Golems as backup, on their own neither enemy type is really that threatening at this point.
For the record, I had a few party members hit 3 million XP while doing this mod. If you go to Spellhold really early it would naturally be more challenging, but the Cowled Wizard groups are easier than some of the Drow groups in the Underdark (with SCS installed, at least). I mean, at this point you're very much supposed to be able to fight Liches and Dragons.

There's some really good loot for Mages.
I wouldn't call anything you get here overpowered per se, but there are two items giving +10 HP. First off, they are coded to increase maximum and minimum HP, so you can exploit them to get a full heal by equipping and unequipping them in the inventory screen. Second, a potential +20 HP for someone like Neera is probably too much.
You also get a ton of high level spell scrolls, including a Time Stop scroll. Which I think is perfectly fine; supplying more than two Mages with good scrolls can be tough.
The amount of scrolls, jewelry, generic +1/+2 gear and gold you get is very high. At this point in the game you have probably bought most of the items you want but it's still a bit too much.

So, overall, the mod definitely has its weak points, and I don't think it's challenging enough for something that is only accessible after the Underdark (and the XP shower that comes with it). But it is one of the best quest mods for BG2 I've played overall.
And going back to Brynnlaw and specifically Spellhold is something that just makes sense to do, as much as anything besides going straight for Bodhi and Irenicus can in chapter 6.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Someone on reddit got to try the console port, some impressions here https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/comments/b7hg6g/i_played_the_baldurs_gate_console_demo_at_pax/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Styles, I'm glad that you brought that bit of LP here. Would you consider starting a new thread to finish a non-Ironman LP? I was really enjoying it and would like to see it end. As much as I enjoy the Ironman thread every new year, I hate that one can do everything correctly and still fail due to ludicrously bad luck. It's very much a metaphor for life in general, but life sucks and video games, at least, have a reload button.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Aside from the G3 fixpack (borderline essential) I can't really say I ever found a BG2 mod that I actually enjoyed. I'm sure the SCS and the Tactics mods are great for the hardcore players but so much of the "expansion" mods were just fanfiction garbage it pulled me out of the enjoyment of the game.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
gently caress mind flayers, imo.
That one you run into in SoD was an unpleasant surprise, but at least it died to a single backstab

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

JustJeff88 posted:

Styles, I'm glad that you brought that bit of LP here. Would you consider starting a new thread to finish a non-Ironman LP? I was really enjoying it and would like to see it end.
Thanks, but I don't like the thought of giving myself an out like that for an ironman run. I just brought Arnaldo back from the dead for a short time because I wanted to see if Back to Brynnlaw is worth installing.
And I've still got a lot of IWD ahead of me. The IWD posts take some time to write, too.
Also, I can't finish Arnaldo's run even if I changed my mind because I un- and reinstalled BG2 right after I was done writing that last post.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This is a great goal and I am looking forward to future updates on your quest.

Rolled out of the Underdark at lvl 41, went straight for Kangaxx right after chunking everything in Bodhi's lair.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Azuren posted:

Rolled out of the Underdark at lvl 41, went straight for Kangaxx right after chunking everything in Bodhi's lair.

rip

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

After 10,000 years, I'm free! It is time to conquer Athkatla!

*chunked*

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Mind flayers are the freaking fun police in this game.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Angry Lobster posted:

Maze traps are the freaking fun police in this game.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Vampires used to be the fun police back before the enhanced editions fixed it so your spell memorisations stayed after you used restoration.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
These are starting to sound like insanely good ports. I mean, I still think PC or tablet are the very best platforms for this experience, but I'm really surprised at how good of a job these companies (Paradox Arctic and Skybound Games) are doing at porting these experiences on consoles.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Azuren posted:

Amazing.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Angry Lobster posted:

Mind flayers are the freaking fun police in this game.
They ended my ironman run this time but I generally don't mind them. I like the Mind Flayer fight in SoD and although I haven't played IWD2 in a while I remember its Mind Flayer area being pretty fun.
The ones in BG2 are mostly just kinda boring because you usually fight them alone or paired with Umber Hulks, in which case the fight is almost entirely a Chaotic Commands/Greenstone Amulet check. With SCS installed they make you jump through an extra hoop or two but the encounter design is still just too uninspired. But that's my biggest issue with BG2 in general, too many dungeons populated almost entirely by a single enemy type.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Wizard Styles posted:

They ended my ironman run this time but I generally don't mind them. I like the Mind Flayer fight in SoD and although I haven't played IWD2 in a while I remember its Mind Flayer area being pretty fun.
The ones in BG2 are mostly just kinda boring because you usually fight them alone or paired with Umber Hulks, in which case the fight is almost entirely a Chaotic Commands/Greenstone Amulet check. With SCS installed they make you jump through an extra hoop or two but the encounter design is still just too uninspired. But that's my biggest issue with BG2 in general, too many dungeons populated almost entirely by a single enemy type.

The problem with their design is that you are either well prepared and become pushovers, or they caught you in a vulnerable moment and just instamurder you with impunity. There's never a middle road.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

The problem with their design is that you are either well prepared and become pushovers, or they caught you in a vulnerable moment and just instamurder you with impunity. There's never a middle road.

baldursgate.txt

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

After spending this entire run through the trilogy longing for my inquisitor's true seeing, only now, on level 4 of Watcher's Keep, sitting capped out at lvl 50, did I realize that the "Book of Infinite Spells", which has been gathering dust, unused, in my bag of holding, can be rifled through for true seeing. :v:

Also: I have discovered that there is a hard level cap of 50, which I hit around twelve and a half million XP. Your next level is listed as taking -1 XP.

Also: The Demilich in Watcher's Keep is a real rear end in a top hat. He's immune to turn undead and does nothing but spam "Imprisonment" endlessly. Only strategy I could come up with is either using a scroll of "Protection from Undead" or "Protection from Magic".

E: Popped scroll of "Protection from Undead", then I cast "Hit him in the face" with "Carsomyr" a dozen times.

Azuren fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 5, 2019

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
What is the relative power jump by chapter for a solo character? I know just memorizing enough scrolls can take a dualled mage to 9 in an instant, but otherwise how does it work out for single or multi classes.

Plus with all the resistances and mage defenses, is running away and waiting a mainstay of solo runs?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Strongly depends on the class you're soloing. Mages should have no trouble dispelling other spellcasters if you're playing vanilla. By contrast, there's very little warriors can do about PfMW aside from waiting it out. Other stuff like Stoneskin or Improved Invisibility isn't too difficult to work around though.

Power progression is also variable. Any class will get a huge spike once they access HLAs (which you'll most likely get two-thirds through Chapter 2), but the road there can be more or less rocky. I'd say Monks have the roughest start and divine casters the roughest finish, assuming ToB. Most others are not too bad throughout.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I got a Monk through BG1 all the way up to ToB and the power curve is kind of grim. You basically NEED to go solo to not suck badly in the early game; Dark Moon Monks have Blindness as an innate ability, which alongside darts lets you cheese the poo poo out of some high-XP fights, and your Hide in Shadows lets you get potions from the Ankheg cave that'll let you chunk them with your fists. The first payoff is around level 9 where your fists actually become a threatening weapon and your AC isn't too garbage anymore, then the second one is in BG2 when you get magic resistance.

By ToB I dropped my party down to me, Imoen, Viconia and Edwin, because my protagonist was functionally immune to magic and could Greater Whirlwind melee enemies into annihilation with +4 1d20 attacks. I wouldn't necessarily the tedium was worth it, Monk is just tremendously badly designed.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Some of the 3ed-ish classes/kits for BG2 always seemed half thought. There are a lot of duds that are only good for a gimmick or someone deliberately challenging themselves.

Jester, wizard Slayer, shapeshifter, Beast Master, maybe some of the others if you arent metagaming well.

edit: Anyone ever do a "reverse" dual class like taking a mage to level 7-8 and then dualing to a fighter/thief/cleric? It seems like an interesting approach, especially if taking Edwin, Imoen, or Aerie who are excellent magic casters. Going from a Druid to a fighter also sounds insane since it's basically "gently caress this nature job, I just want to smash everything" and you hit level 12 (300k) so fast in BG2 you get your druid abilities back by fighter level 9 + an extra 50k exp, which by midgame is every quest reward.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 7, 2019

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

bike tory posted:

baldursgate.txt
Yeah, you could say similar things about Beholders, Vampires and a couple less common enemies.

Although I had forgotten how fast Mind Flayers can gently caress you up if you let them. There was a window of maybe two or three seconds for me to react when they jumped my group. Not necessarily a problem but it happened off-screen in this case. Once their first wave of psionic attacks had hit it was all over.

Also, random bitch time: I'm working on an item mod. One of the main goals is making reasonably powerful weapons for all proficiencies available for purchase. For all items, I'm only using modified icons, animations etc. from the IE games themselves. I can't make any myself and I'm not gonna put copyrighted poo poo from other games into a mod. So I'm limiting myself to putting palette swaps of items from game A into game B.

Unfortunately, the awesome weaponry of glorious Nippon only ever existed in BG2 prior to the EEs. And even in BG2 they didn't get a lot of love, powerful as some of them might be.
There are two ninjato icons, for example, the regular one and Usuno's Blade from Watcher's Keep.
And so:

For comparison, (melee) daggers:

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Ah yes, the fabled Fork of Balduran, reunited at last with his Butter Knife.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Olive Branch posted:

Ah yes, the fabled Fork of Balduran, reunited at last with his Butter Knife.
Well, it is a silver fork, so it actually might have helped him against the Werewolves and Wolfweres.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

That feel when you finish Throne of Bhaal at level 50 and then immediately fire up plain ol' Icewind Dale and roll a level 1 dude and go kill goblins.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Anyone seen an issue in BG1 EE, when starting a new single player game with create party, I created a half orc shaman, but every game I start with it, it starts dead with 0/1 HP, happened a few different times, recreated character from scratch instead of import. Rest of my characters are fine, not sure if there's some bug or issue with shaman itself. I do have the g3 tweakpack installed i believe, i see some other issues with item descriptions not matching the item.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ratchild13 posted:

Anyone seen an issue in BG1 EE, when starting a new single player game with create party, I created a half orc shaman, but every game I start with it, it starts dead with 0/1 HP, happened a few different times, recreated character from scratch instead of import. Rest of my characters are fine, not sure if there's some bug or issue with shaman itself. I do have the g3 tweakpack installed i believe, i see some other issues with item descriptions not matching the item.

Are you positive both BG and the tweak pack are up to date?

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
If item descriptions don't match the item, then your dialog.tlk is corrupted. Are you using the old BG2 Tweak pack or the Tweaks Anthology pack? The former will cause problems like you are describing.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hmmm solid suggestion, looks like my tweak pack install is from 2017, so I'll get that fixed. Would a total uninstall of the game be best, or just the mod uninstall?

EDIT: hmmm one thing the mod page and OP don't specify is if the https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/fixes/bg2fixpack/ is also applicable in BG1:EE? I have that installed in BG1 now, was there a separate one previously and it just got rolled in?

ratchild13 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 17, 2019

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ratchild13 posted:

Hmmm solid suggestion, looks like my tweak pack install is from 2017, so I'll get that fixed. Would a total uninstall of the game be best, or just the mod uninstall?

I had a similar problem and a mod reinstall fixed it.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

ratchild13 posted:

EDIT: hmmm one thing the mod page and OP don't specify is if the https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/fixes/bg2fixpack/ is also applicable in BG1:EE? I have that installed in BG1 now, was there a separate one previously and it just got rolled in?

If you're using the EE you need Tweaks Anthology, not the old BG1/2 packs.

https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/tweaks/tweaks/

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Awesome, thank you very much, I'll give that a whirl!

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I started playing Icewind Dale EE for the first time. The dungeon crawling is good and I kind of like the old skool make-a-full-party aspect of it. The random loot has been okay to me, and I like that I'm actually using and finding wands, etc useful. But the utter lack of wizard scrolls combined with no level-up spells has been absolutely brutal.

I just cleared the Dragon's Eye. My current party is Cavalier, Cleranger, Beserker, Bard, Illusionist/Mage and Clemage. I kind of wish I went with 4 characters but that would feel a little power game-y.

E: Also, the story feels weak as hell and super linear and not murderhobo at all but I guess that's not the point?

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 17, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

E: Also, the story feels weak as hell and super linear and not murderhobo at all but I guess that's not the point?

Yeah. The Icewind Dale series was specifically made to be the Infinity Engine games that are light on story, heavy on combat to contrast the Baldur's Gate series.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The actual writing in Icewind Dale is pretty drat good I think. And I love all the dialogue and voice work. But it’s lacking the NPC interaction the BG games have.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Icewind Dale plot is fine but nothing spectacular, fairly average DD stuff. It lacks the character interaction and dialogue of Baldur's Gate but it also has probably the best and most detail background graphics of the entire series.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Re-installing the tweak compilation and bg totally solved all my issues! Thanks for the info everyone.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Feeling an itch to replay BG2 again, I kinda want to do something at least a little fresh for it though. Are there any better mods for moving items around than the item randomizer? It'd be fun running through the game not knowing where to find the best stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I just played through original IWD (solo paladin run) after not playing it and HoW since they were released. I'd never played TotL before now and I have to say it was pretty tedious and annoying. I read they released it for free in response to complaints that HoW was too short, or something?

Moving on to IWD2, which I've actually never finished... think I got up to the temple with the battle square and stopped there. Gonna try a solo paladin, hopefully it works (I know the ECL poo poo will nerf the ability to overlevel).

Saving PS:T for last :)