Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Randler posted:

While we might not live to see it, there definitely will be a Brexit-like event for America in the futurer. A point in time which will, in retrospect, be considered the exact moment all their pretenses and imperial nostalgia will come crashing down.

it was march 20, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sept. 8 1974

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

regardless of the exact date we're already sitting in the rubble laughing at another group of anglos that looked at us in our abject misery and decided "hey that looks like fun"

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
July 4 1776

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I was actually thinking of Trump's reelection for a second term. But apparently that hasn't happened for you guys yet.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i dont see why his re-election would be more impactful than his first election given that everybody's pretty much resigned to it already

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Chokes McGee posted:

p sure that already happened in 2016
Arguably 2016 is when the US really started to own up to being an empire, what with all the noises about extracting tribute from its vassals. The actual crash where Americans realize they aren't king of the world kinda requires the US empire to fall first, and then a couple of generations of denial.

Randler posted:

While we might not live to see it, there definitely will be a Brexit-like event for America in the futurer. A point in time which will, in retrospect, be considered the exact moment all their pretenses and imperial nostalgia will come crashing down.
2116: The US public decides to leave the proto-federal Western Union, a NATO successor organization, out of an unfounded fear of a merger with the Arab Union in 2120.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i dont see why his re-election would be more impactful than his first election given that everybody's pretty much resigned to it already

Because a huge amount of people are still in massive denial and think the 2016 election was some kind of fluke/rigged/Clinton's fault. Like, America is just temporarily embarrassed but poo poo is still salvageable. Trump's reelection will let the gravity of the situation finally sink in for a lot of people.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Opferwurst posted:

Because a huge amount of people are still in massive denial and think the 2016 election was some kind of fluke/rigged/Clinton's fault. Like, America is just temporarily embarrassed but poo poo is still salvageable. Trump's reelection will let the gravity of the situation finally sink in for a lot of people.

2016 should have been a huge wake up call for the democrats, but alas they still don't get it. Oh well, just time to rub their face in the piss another four years.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the sunday sport is the sex badger little people one right? cause that ain't the onion, that's weekly world news

Batboy was found time and time again

A Brexit deal? now that's some out there poo poo

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Trumps election is no joke the exact moment I lost all hope that humanity is not complete poo poo and might get the important things (climate, post automation society, growth decoupled economy) managed in a wax that enables us to thrive. I am absolutely resigned to the reality that the world is gonna come crashing down this century in humanity and that we are propably in the last golden ages for hundreds if not thousands of year, if we ever recover.

I read a study years back where historians did a simulation of empire and societal collapse and defined a few key indicators for this, and they said that our current developments were actually pointing in that direction. I was like lul Wut no way humanity is better than ever. Then trump got elected and I accepted that yup, it's happening.

Brexit is just another fun little side show on the whole thing, which is silly enough to serve as a humurous distraction for he'll dimension.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Chokes McGee posted:

imagine 50 years from now, when the history books talk about how embarrassing an era this was and how america elected a brain damaged tv star criminal to the highest office of the land, it will be followed by "at the same time, in England,"

nah things have always been ridiculous and stupid. the point is the history books sanitise it and attempt to interpret history in a way that promotes the idea of continuity, where the history of your country was working towards this ideal state its currently in.

so depending on the future theyll either be villains, heroes or caretakers but the senseless ridiculous stupidity of our times will probably not be a feature. unless trump starts ww3 both him and theresa will probably be best remembered as divisive figures who went HAM on immigration

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
America already elected a b-movie actor thirty five plus years ago

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

twoday posted:

That’s nothing, watch this:

https://twitter.com/johnmach2001/status/1114262769380003842?s=20

EU to trigger fish and chips CRISIS if UK doesn’t open fishing waters in no deal Brexit

BRUSSELS bureaucrats could trigger a fish and chips shortage in Britain if the Government refuses to grant access to its waters, EU officials warned today.

EU officials could introduce tariffs on popular fish consumed in Britain in the event of a no deal Brexit. They claim Britons consume more white fish than exists in British waters, with the UK relying on imports from the Continent. An official added haddock and cod supplies are the most popular with Britons and both species will be subject to tough tariffs if Britain refuses to grant access to its waters for European fishing boats.

The tariffs could be implemented as early as April 12 if Britain leaves the bloc without a deal.

EU and UK officials have promised to leave talks on a joint-fisheries agreement until after Brexit.

The European Commission confirmed retaliatory measures could impact cod and haddock supplies to Britain if talks breakdown.

A source said: “Currently the UK consumes more white fish than it catches in its waters and could catch in its waters. Any fish the UK doesn’t catch it will have to import and that will become a trade issue.”

Karmenu Vela, the Commissioner responsible for fisheries, said insisted the EU is keen to strike a reciprocal deal.

He said: “in case of a no-deal Brexit, EU fishing vessels would have to leave UK waters and UK vessels would have to leave EU waters.

“This would have significant negative economic consequences on the part of the EU fleet, which depends on access to UK water.

“Obviously, even on the part of the UK fleet fishing in EU waters.”

Mr Vela offered Britain the opportunity to keep its waters open in order to prevent any disruption to its fish supplies.

Reacting to the threat from Brussels, Tory MEP Daniel Dalton told Express.co.uk: “This threat is codswallop. This is just more posturing by Brussels, but in an area where the EU has got far more to lose than the UK.”

The news comes as Bank of England governor Mark Carney warned earlier this week that the chance of a no deal Brexit is now "alarmingly high”.

Mr Carney defended his continued gloomy forecast of a no deal Brexit as the UK’s April 12 deadline to leave the EU fast approaches.

He told Sky News: "Unfortunately I think it proved accurate. It's alarmingly high now. We're in a situation where the expressed will of Parliament is for some form of deal, so to put it in the double negative: parliament is against no deal.

“The Government, as expressed by the Prime Minister, is against no deal, the European Union is against no deal, and yet it is a possibility - it is the default option.

"So no deal would happen by accident, it would happen suddenly, there would be no transition - it is an accidental disorderly Brexit."

im FREAKING OUT about this rn

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Hentai Jihadist posted:

nah things have always been ridiculous and stupid.

thread title

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JFairfax posted:

America already elected a b-movie actor thirty five plus years ago

Also this B-movie actor married the blowjob queen of hollywood.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

Also this B-movie actor married the blowjob queen of hollywood.

He did OP

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Randler posted:

This makes you horny you weird little german bitch

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Regarde Aduck posted:

:chast2b:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Regarde Aduck posted:

It actually makes me extremely angry. A white supremacist regime falling down due to the incompetence of its fascist leadership clearly violates our national trademark for "Der Untergang" and Untergang-related apparel.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the sunday sport is the sex badger little people one right? cause that ain't the onion, that's weekly world news
Yeah, that's the far more apt comparison.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the UK is two fish and chips-less days away from a revolutionary communist republic

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

the UK is two fish and chips-less days away from a revolutionary communist republic

in an unexpected turn of events England declares independence from wales

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it is absolutely wild seeing the rise in Irish nationalist feelings among people my age (25+) ever since Brexit, like it's stuff I used to find embarrassing as a teenager but the UK government loving Brexit up so bad and showing utter disdain for NI (they would have sold NI down the river if not for that snap election) and the glimmer of hope of a united ireland has shown that the Brits did more in three years than Sinn Fein could do in the last twenty. mad

Same.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
May is only pretending to be stupid, in reality she’s actually even more stupid (in a different way) and evil. No deal brexit (which is what she actually wants and she’s only pretending to be incompetently crashing out) is her way to ethnically cleanse the UK (evil) but it will actually have the opposite effect (even more stupid) since the UK will lose its leverage in negotiations with other nations outside of Europe and be forced to accept more visas etc.

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017
Sometime Taoiseach Bertie Aherne mumbled something insanely optimistic earlier about trusting the House of Commons to find any solution other than No Deal as "it makes absolutely no sense, economically, culturally, socially."

His contribution was meaningless, but it was made in front of this remarkably appropriate memorial to former cuntcrust, would-be Loyalist paramilitary leader, and DUP founder Ian Paisley:

Juliet Whisky has issued a correction as of 19:35 on Apr 6, 2019

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

Can chirp up. Last vote my nan did before she passed was remain. My grandad (military cross holder for valour in battle at Anzio) passed before but was a staunch European. It is people who've never seen combat that are blowing the nationalism horn. gently caress them

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yes the generation that goes on about how great world war 2, national service and rationing were are too young for any of those things. Maybe some hazy childhood memories of having no bananas.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Ah, haven't seen a "we need a proper war to toughen up the kids" in a while.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Kinda checked out of this thread for a while, did anything change since Tezza was told to ask the EU for a free pony?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Dipshit posted:

Kinda checked out of this thread for a while, did anything change since Tezza was told to ask the EU for a free pony?

several european nations have said no extension if not given a really good reason for one

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

frankenfreak posted:

Ah, haven't seen a "we need a proper war to toughen up the kids" in a while.

Well, if the alternative is the kids growing up yo claim they already won a war, they know exactly what it's like be cause they were there, dammit, then yes, their gammon asses need to be enlightened firsthand how hard things can in fact get.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Hentai Jihadist posted:

im FREAKING OUT about this rn

The UK fishing waters contain lots of fish, just not the fish Brits eat. There is lots of herring, squid I think. The white fish that is used to make the fish in fish and chips (often sold as cod, rarely is cod) comes from further north, much of it from Iceland. Iceland is not in the EU and as a frigid volcanic rock has little negotiating power so you should be able to bully some fish out of them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

twoday posted:

The UK fishing waters contain lots of fish, just not the fish Brits eat. There is lots of herring, squid I think. The white fish that is used to make the fish in fish and chips (often sold as cod, rarely is cod) comes from further north, much of it from Iceland. Iceland is not in the EU and as a frigid volcanic rock has little negotiating power so you should be able to bully some fish out of them.

With this UK government attempts at bullying Iceland would result in successful raiding.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

hobbesmaster posted:

With this UK government attempts at bullying Iceland would result in successful raiding.

A "friend" of mine has recently joined the British navy (at age 35 because he's a loving moron), and I can say whole-heartedly that with that quality of personnel, in a fight between the British navy and the Icelandic trawler fleet, I'd put money on the trawlers.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Ismt that what happened last time the RN and the Icelandic fishing fleet squared off?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Hexyflexy posted:

A "friend" of mine has recently joined the British navy (at age 35 because he's a loving moron), and I can say whole-heartedly that with that quality of personnel, in a fight between the British navy and the Icelandic trawler fleet, I'd put money on the trawlers.

did this guy play EVE by any chance

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

twoday posted:

the UK on a 3 for 3 losing streak with Iceland in the cod wars.

strategically too important to NATO for it’s position in the north atlantic, so they’ve got Iceland’s back on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Cerv posted:

the UK on a 3 for 3 losing streak with Iceland in the cod wars.

strategically too important to NATO for it’s position in the north atlantic, so they’ve got Iceland’s back on this

and then they kicked England out of the euro so that it did not come home