Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Where in Utah? I have Joshua Tree photos coming back probably end of the week. I shot mostly film on the trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

The plan is a slot canyon or two in the San Rafael reef, a long and larger canyon in the Waterpocket fold area of Capitol Reef NP, then back over to Canyonlands/Dead Horse Point. Then the Corona arch and Colorado national monument to finish it off on the way home. Should be good as long as the weather cooperates. (And as long as my lens don't bust on me :v: )

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Those are great shots! Is that dream lake in RMNP? My wife and I were hoping to go somewhere different this year, but now it looks like that won't happen. We are heading to Colorado in a couple of weeks to help her friend move. Going to try to hit up RM Arsenal for the baby bison and burrowing owls. Then our usual stuff in Colorado Springs. I'm hoping to go back to Leadville and the Twin Lakes area in the late summer to summit Mt Elbert and Mt Massive again. It's hard to travel right now, our dogs are elderly and have anxiety.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Near there, the first one is Emerald Lake (though not from the standard iconic shot angle from right where the trail ends - too many people there of course) and the other is Lake Haiyaha. Forgot to put those in the post description like a moron :downs:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Pretty neat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olLjXYKfUYA

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Going on a 4-day, 3-night bikepacking trip next week and my biggest dilemma is whether to take my UL tent and sleeping bag or my hammock setup instead. Either will work very well but I’m just absolutely paralyzed in making a final call.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Tent just to be more prepared for inclement weather.

Anyone been to Banff?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I have a tarp that has seen my hammock through an overnight rainstorm that dumped two inches while leaving me completely dry, and also a full compliment of top and under quilts to stay warm. It’s more a matter of me not being able to make up my drat mind over two perfectly good systems. Such are the travails when your basement storage unit looks like someone is using it to fence goods stolen from REI.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only problem with hammocks is that once you kit one out for the elements they end up weighing as much as a 2 person tent, and at that point I'd like to have dry space to change, repack and cook just outside the door.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

They're (hammocks) way more comfortable to sleep in though, at least for me.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Yeah, this is true. Hammock and straps on their own weigh next to nothing, but the number of days when you can get away without a bug net, tarp, underquilt and top quilt are few and far between, at least in the area where I live, so yeah, you’re definitely looking at comparable weights for a kitted out hammock vs a basic tent and sleeping bad setup. That said, there have been a number of times when I’ve hung a hammock over wet and muddy ground and slept in comfort and cleanliness while my friends had to spend a long time cleaning their tents the next day.

The view from my hammock at a mountain biking event last summer.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

That's beautiful

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Jeez that’s stunning.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Joshua Tree was very cool. On the drive in town, we saw Marines parked off the road in a convoy looking miserable so lol.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

holocaust bloopers posted:

Joshua Tree was very cool. On the drive in town, we saw Marines parked off the road in a convoy looking miserable so lol.

is that the park that got hosed up during the shutdown

either way gently caress anyone who messes with a national park, antiquities act for life qtiyd

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Yea, marines someone cut the namesake trees so they could go offroading.

quote:

either way gently caress anyone who messes with a national park, antiquities act for life qtiyd

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Hiking the camino de santiago in less than a month. Trained 21km yesteday and 12 today and my feet are already absolutely killing me. It's gonna be a fun 800km... Day one is 30km with lots of elevation, and I have no idea how/if I'm gonna be able to survive that lol.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

That’s the one. And agreed.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

EBB posted:

That's beautiful

Yeah, seriously. What was your camera/lens/exposure settings if you don't mind me asking?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Honestly? I wish I could say it was some crazy DSLR at f/1.8 for a 2 minute exposure, but it was my GoPro Hero 6 black at a 30" exposure at low ISO. I think I may have played with some exposure settings in post processing, but it honestly was that beautiful and starlit IRL. Wish I had brought my 70D and a tripod for this, it would have looked so cool.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Went to Red Rocks in Vegas and went on some hikes my wife. gently caress, I need to make more trips out to the southwest.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Mission Beach was lovely. This case from a Portra 400 roll.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

Mission Beach was lovely. This case from a Portra 400 roll.

drat, this makes me want to get my currently decoration only Pentax ME going. Needs new light seals and I have no idea if the electronics actually work.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It would probably be cheaper to get a new, functional DSLR honestly.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I already have a mirrorless setup, playing with film would be strictly for fun. Really though I want a full frame mirrorless of similar size to a Pentax ME:

Roughly similar in size to my APS-C A6000

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 9, 2019

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Some of the highlights from this last week's trip, in no specific order.

The Mesa arch.

Green river overlook at sunset.

This guy let me get this close with my phone and no zoom. Ice cold.

White rim overlook trail terminus, looking south.

White rim overlook trail terminus, looking NE.

Dead Horse Point, this precise spot as seen in Westworld S1E1.

Dead Horse Point looking east. Waldo is in the tree on the right, but don't bother zooming in because even in the hi-res original I can't see it. But it's there.

Little wild horse canyon.

Burr trail switchbacks, sunset and sunrise.

Along the Upper Muley Twist canyon trail, probably my favorite trail that I've ever done so far.

A slowly forming proto-arch in a side canyon.

Pano shot to get both sides of the rim route when at a thinner point of the rim This was my first attempt at pano, 3 shots with the wide angle lens. First time the wide angle lens by itself wasn't enough to capture everything I wanted to show.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I have to say, that's my absolute favorite of those posts.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

Have a turkey hunt planned for this weekend. First hunt in over a year since I just got back from deployment. Went to shoot my shotgun today to pattern it and it's misfiring or something. It's putting a very slight dent in the primer, not enough to fire the shell. Hopefully I can either fix it tomorrow or find a shotgun to borrow.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
You got a way better picture of Mesa Arch than I ever did...

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah that's why I didn't even bother trying at dawn, it would be impossible to do a Waldo shot. Basically had to do a targeted strike around dinnertime, when all the families and old people had left. Managed to get a lull where I had about 5 minutes to myself there, then people started showing up for sunset.

e: also thanks Godholio :)

The Rat fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 11, 2019

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea Mesa Arch is nice but goddamn the crowd there for the same exact photo is silly.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

DaNerd posted:

You got a way better picture of Mesa Arch than I ever did...

i like this a bunch

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i like this a bunch

:negative:

TECHNICALLY I'm still sticking to my new year's resolution of no new guns since no 4473s were filled out.

Also I basically horse traded my way into those two things and wasn't much out of pocket at all.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Last thing I bought was a Glock 30S.

Two years ago

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I bought a beretta 87 target last year for some seriously classy .22 ballin'

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I have something amazing showing up tomorrow.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

McNally posted:

I have something amazing showing up tomorrow.

It better be finger-guns McNally patches

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's a musket. It's always a musket.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
It should be finger-guns in Civil War garb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU