Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Isn't most of this down to Ragnarok and Infinity War being produced at the same time? Like going by Infinity War it's easy to get the impression that the only thing the Infinity War writers knew from the word go was that:

1. Mjolnir will be gone.
2. Hulk is with Thor.
3. They'll end up on a big space-ship.

I mean beyond the stuff you already mentioned entire characters are just gone (in a movie that otherwise doesn't shy away from small side characters getting screen-time) and the whole eye thing even feels like a last-minute change. Like they went 'oh poo poo what do you mean he loses his eye, quickly re-shoot his first scenes and fix it somehow'.

Wooh, shared continuity!

Has it ever actually had a positive effect on any of these films?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

After thinking on it a bit, while there's a lot wrong with Infinity War, what really, really sucked was how they undid Thor: Ragnarok, which is one of the very best MCU films (I mean that's not a high bar we all know, but still).

-Thor losing an eye was cool. Oh well, Rocket gives him a new one.
-Thor finds out he doesn't need Mjolnir, he was the loving god of thunder with or without it. Oh, Thanos beat him up? Nevermind, he needs a new Kratos axe.
-Where the gently caress did Korg go?
-"Asgard is not a place, it's a people. But those people are dead now."
-We're ready for rad as gently caress space adventures on this awesome loving spaceship that Thanos destroys like ten minutes after we leave Asgard, cool bro.
-Thor stops being the silly, fun Thor from Ragnarok and reverts to being the boring, stoic Thor from the lovely first two Thor movies.

I hope if/when they make Thor 4, they just pretend Infinity War/Endgame didn't happen.

edit: this is the potential badass space opera we were cheated out of

that's all really surface level garbage except maybe the last one and honestly considering the actual material from ragnarok fun jokey thor was completely out of place and would have been more so going forward

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

Wooh, shared continuity!

Nope, mainly because there's no actual continuity outside of surface details.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Let's not forget that Thor's new eye was smuggled in Rocket's butthole

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Wooh, shared continuity!

Ironically, the Dr Strange cameo in Ragnarok.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Nail Rat posted:

After thinking on it a bit, while there's a lot wrong with Infinity War, what really, really sucked was how they undid Thor: Ragnarok, which is one of the very best MCU films (I mean that's not a high bar we all know, but still).

-Thor finds out he doesn't need Mjolnir, he was the loving god of thunder with or without it. Oh, Thanos beat him up? Nevermind, he needs a new Kratos axe.
-We're ready for rad as gently caress space adventures on this awesome loving spaceship that Thanos destroys like ten minutes after we leave Asgard, cool bro.
-Thor stops being the silly, fun Thor from Ragnarok and reverts to being the boring, stoic Thor from the lovely first two Thor movies.

I hope if/when they make Thor 4, they just pretend Infinity War/Endgame didn't happen.

i know you shared this picture to be like "man look what we're missing" but boy that's a really awkward looking shot

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Well yeah, all MCU shots are awkward. Remember the ramp scene in avengers where they casually jog aroumd the product placement car in the middle of a alien invasion, or when loki akwardly smacked cap around, or when black widow admires the view on top of the floating island (which was just a bunch of abandoned cars)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

It looks like Hulk was pasted in here from an entirely different source. I know he's standing on a slightly elevated surface, but it looks like he's kinda floating.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, that looks so bad from a visual standpoint. So bad. Which is frustrating because there are a few choice shots in Ragnarok that are really good—but are mostly CG. One or two great shots rendered in CG don't make up for something looking that loving lazy lmao.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Elfgames posted:

that's all really surface level garbage except maybe the last one and honestly considering the actual material from ragnarok fun jokey thor was completely out of place and would have been more so going forward

Not really. Thor needing to find a Bigger Hammer basically undoes the core character arc of Ragnarok.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
lol Hulk is just A posing and looks like he was just kinda plopped down during editing, did they put any effort into that shot at all

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fart City posted:

Not really. Thor needing to find a Bigger Hammer basically undoes the core character arc of Ragnarok.

So is becoming a real leader of his people and finally fully reconciling with Loki.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

the core arc of ragnarock is not that "thor shouldn't use a hammer"

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I just hope that is some of the rumors I have read are true, that if they make a second infinity gauntlet out of the fragments of Mjolnir, the gauntlet recognizes Thor and flies to him like an excited puppy seeing it's human after a long day.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Elfgames posted:

the core arc of ragnarock is not that "thor shouldn't use a hammer"

No it's that he doesn't need a hammer to be a leader. He transcends being a warrior to being a king. IW undoes that by reducing him to being a soldier on a fetchquest.

There are Asgardians left on his ship, yes? What becomes of them? Who the gently caress cares, right? Does he even acknowledge their presence in the movie? Like you realize Valkyrie is being positioned as being a main character in Endgame and is basically non-acknowledged in IW, right?

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 7, 2019

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
really though the funniest thing about infinity war is the discussions i had post-ragnarok when i said that thor's going to get his eye back and a new hammer and people on this very forum were like no you idiot how dare you say such things

technically they were right, i guess, because he got an ugly axe and not a hammer

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Christ you guys talking about how how bad the MCU films are visually are just really insufferable. It's like listening to first year uni students explain to random people at the bar how poo poo their favorite writer really is.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Thor does mention to the Guardians that Thanos 'slaughtered half his people' with a little heartshattered laugh; but I don't understand that line. All of those Asgardians were totally dead and drifting through the void of space

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

teagone posted:

Yeah, that looks so bad from a visual standpoint. So bad. Which is frustrating because there are a few choice shots in Ragnarok that are really good—but are mostly CG. One or two great shots rendered in CG don't make up for something looking that loving lazy lmao.

How is this a bad shot? Like do you actually have an interpretation or is it just a feeling?

There's been a lot of really bad shots passing through here but sometimes it feels like people enjoy the sound of their own posting a little too much.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Christ you guys talking about how how bad the MCU films are visually are just really insufferable. It's like listening to first year uni students explain to random people at the bar how poo poo their favorite writer really is.

This isn't "the bar" and nobody is harassing "random people" tho, it's a thread for a specific movie everyone is discussing.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Pretty much every time the word "insufferable" gets thrown around here it's just someone really mad at someone's opinion trying real hard to paint them as pretentious. Even though teagone didn't use any jargon at all and just basically posted a reaction.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Come up with a counter argument instead of just complaining about people then.

A lot of the Ragnarok shots looked flat to me, but they worked in that movie because, outside of a few scenes that were meant to be exciting, most of the movie *was* flat humor that matched the tone of the shots. Stuff like Flight of the Conchords and What We Do in the Shadows was helped a lot by looking mundane, and that was the one instance where Marvel's "style" really helped the movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bedshaped posted:

How is this a bad shot? Like do you actually have an interpretation or is it just a feeling?

There's been a lot of really bad shots passing through here but sometimes it feels like people enjoy the sound of their own posting a little too much.

I've already explained at length what I find bad with the MCU visuals in this very thread. What I've said applies to that shot from Ragnarok, in addition to what's already been pointed out, i.e., bad CG resulting in Hulk looking like he's been pasted in.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

:qq: how dare you guys talk about the cinematic merits of movies in a movie discussion forum :qq:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

teagone posted:

I've already explained at length what I find bad with the MCU visuals in this very thread. What I've said applies to that shot from Ragnarok, in addition to what's already been pointed out, i.e., bad CG resulting in Hulk looking like he's been pasted in.

Well you're wrong about that specific shot. It's not only not a bad shot, it's a very good shot.

e:

Obviously, Thor is the focal point. Narratively, he's just assumed the position of leader for the first time. Both the accord between the background and the position of the foreground and background subjects reinforces the substance of his new position.

Thor is not looking forward, he's looking down and away, conveying unease or fear of his new position; a lack of confidence as a leader who is not there by choice, but rather as the inevitability of circumstance. Hulk is also positioned the same, a fear that he is losing control over his ability to distinguish between Banner and Hulk and a fear that one personality (namely Hulk) will permanently override the other.

Two characters are looking at Thor, one representing the old Asgard and one representing the new; both depending on Thor for leadership and guidance. Two characters are looking above and forward, Thor's comrades. Loki, appearing irresolute, conveys the uneasy rekindling of brotherhood and the betrayal that still remains beneath the surface. The other, steadfast, unyielding, loyal and as a paragon of duty.

The shot effectively summarises the full range of character progression. Although the Russo's hosed it all up.

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 7, 2019

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Bedshaped posted:

Well you're wrong about that specific shot. It's not only not a bad shot, it's a very good shot.

e:

Obviously, Thor is the focal point. Narratively, he's just assumed the position of leader for the first time. Both the accord between the background and the position of the foreground and background subjects reinforces the substance of his new position.

Thor is not looking forward, he's looking down and away, conveying unease or fear of his new position; a lack of confidence as a leader who is not there by choice, but rather as the inevitability of circumstance. Hulk is also positioned the same, a fear that he is losing control over his ability to distinguish between Banner and Hulk and a fear that one personality (namely Hulk) will permanently override the other.

Two characters are looking at Thor, one representing the old Asgard and one representing the new; both depending on Thor for leadership and guidance. Two characters are looking above and forward, Thor's comrades. Loki, appearing irresolute, conveys the uneasy rekindling of brotherhood and the betrayal that still remains beneath the surface. The other, steadfast, unyielding, loyal and as a paragon of duty.

The shot effectively summarises the full range of character progression. Although the Russo's hosed it all up.

Lol this is a good CineD parody. A+

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

To be fair there are people in this thread that work in Hollywood or at least have backgrounds in film making.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bedshaped posted:

What do you think makes it good? Color grading aside, it's a bad shot/sequence imo, in the sense that the way it's visually structured doesn't really reflect the narrative in any way that's interesting. The tone that's derived from shot composition and structure doesn't really feel like Thor has just willingly assumed his position as king of the people; it's just a flat wide shot of the main and supporting characters that are on display like action figures, side-by-side, against some questionable looking CG. Loki even just slowly walks in from off-screen to assume his spot. It all just comes across so lazy. And since it's a static/flat looking shot, the sense of depth makes it look they're on a sound stage with a painted backdrop behind them, which I think is also what makes Hulk looks like he's just pasted in. It's really just a poor excuse of a sequence for what is essentially a coronation scene.

I mean poo poo, the first Thor movie's coronation scene is shot in a way that effectively evokes the feeling of excitement of entering a new, cosmic world and seeing their new king crowned, while also showcasing the beauty of Asgard and characterizing Thor for the audience. The visuals match the context perfectly imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfEB_eEeZeo

Here's Ragnarok's "coronation" in comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8J7b6BgJUg

The worst is Loki just coming in off screen as I mentioned lol. This isn't really fair to compare the visuals though, since Thor 1 was shot on film, and was made well before the MCU's house style settled in. But it's hard to convince me that Marvel's not gotten complacent with the visuals of their movies between Thor 1 and Thor 3; the visual evidence is right there.

[edit] This isn't fair either, but to further show how MCU visuals have been bad for a while, just look how Return of the King visually depicts Aragorn's acceptance of the throne in comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H4Q_aA4QiQ

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 7, 2019

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bedshaped posted:

e:

I might've mentioned this after T:R's release but it's funny to me that the shot was probably actually better as shot because you would have had seen more of the actual Asgardians but they had to paste the 2 CGI guys on the left and right and they block basically the entire crowd.

I do like that it's going for a sort've stiff "Last Supper" style composition but the lighting is still pretty flat for my tastes, and the poses could be more dynamic.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Bedshaped posted:

e:

Parody or not, I appreciate the effort in this post. A+ would read again

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

McCloud posted:

Parody or not, I appreciate the effort in this post. A+ would read again

:thumbsup: thought I'd spice up all this cinema tribalism with a little discusso

McCloud posted:

:qq: how dare you guys talk about the cinematic merits of movies in a movie discussion forum :qq:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bedshaped posted:

e:

I don't agree with any of this, but if you're able to glean all that from the shot and enjoy it as such, then that's cool. From a filmmaking perspective though, i.e., the technical aspects of the shot, I personally think it's trash: it looks cheap, boring, and uninteresting. Using "Last Supper" imagery is about as cliche as you can get here. There are much better ways to visually convey what you described, but as it stands, it's ineffective and lazy imo.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Bedshaped posted:

e:

the staging is fine, it just clearly looks like 6 people standing in front of a flat green screen background, who may or may not have been in the room at the same time. generally when you're making a blockbuster you want to avoid looking like that, even if it's how most blockbusters are made

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I was looking on stuff on Youtube for a Taika moviefight and found this cut scene from Thor: Ragnarok with unfinished effects, and just realized how much better the movie had been if the whole thing looked like this (it matches the tone perfectly): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDVqT9pQjuM

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Bedshaped posted:

e:

Big fan of Colorforms Hulk and Korg.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Bedshaped posted:

e:

It follows the rule of 6 there are 6 people in the shot

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Waffles Inc. posted:

It follows the rule of 6 there are 6 people in the shot

That's still the rule of 3 (times two).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Darko posted:

I was looking on stuff on Youtube for a Taika moviefight and found this cut scene from Thor: Ragnarok with unfinished effects, and just realized how much better the movie had been if the whole thing looked like this (it matches the tone perfectly): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDVqT9pQjuM

Is it me or are the colors slightly better?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Darko posted:

This actually does work way better, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is it me or are the colors slightly better?

Phone posting so not sure, but it seems higher contrast, so it probably didn't go through the final Marvel enforced final color grade that pushes all the blacks to gray.

But GOTG2 and T:R are the two MCU films that most actively tried to work around the madated color grading anyway. They aren't allowed to have blacks but they sometimes work harder to push the other colors so they sometimes look vivid in spite of it.