Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Rated PG-34 posted:

I’m not claiming that Stalin is a swell guy, I’m claiming that the propaganda is unfair to him and by proxy the USSR and communism to the benefit of nazis and wealthy scum like Jeff Bezos. We shouldn’t repeat old cold war propaganda, and instead have a more sober analysis and critique of history.

So you’re saying what, there was no great terror, no purges, and millions of soviet citizens didn’t die because of Uncle Joe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Rated PG-34 posted:

The Stalin sketch was dumb black book of communism propaganda. Lol that you can even compare Hitler to Stalin. But I guess when you’re making bits on behalf of the richest man in the world, you gotta pander

they're all rich as hell and likely hate the fact that someone who is going to make them pay slightly more tax in the UK has a good chance of being prime minister

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

drgitlin posted:

So you’re saying what, there was no great terror, no purges, and millions of soviet citizens didn’t die because of Uncle Joe?

I’m saying the numbers were much lower than stated such that to compare Stalin with Hitler is a bad joke as the latter is responsible for something north of 80 million deaths.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

I’m saying the numbers were much lower than stated such that to compare Stalin with Hitler is a bad joke as the latter is responsible for something north of 80 million deaths.

So it would be more accurate to compare Stalin to Pol Pot?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"It was actually Hitler that killed 117 million people, not my best friend Joe "purge everyone I disagree with and delete them from photos even though Photoshop hasn't been invented yet" Stalin."

:goonsay:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

"It was actually Hitler that killed 117 million people, not my best friend Joe "purge everyone I disagree with and delete them from photos even though Photoshop hasn't been invented yet" Stalin."

:goonsay:

who caused world war 2?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Rated PG-34 posted:

You are counting (perhaps fairly) all the estimated deaths of WW2, thus seeing Nazi Germany and HItler as the sole cause of all the conflicts resulting of the war. The Stalin regime is estimated to have resulted in the deaths of between 20-43 million people, depending on which source (i.e. which of all the horrible events are counted). These are not combat deaths though. Oh and then there is Mao Zedong who managed to work 45 million people to death in less than the duration of WW2. Not to mention the immense suffering of the people living in these regimes.

If you want to tell people that Stalin or other communist leaders weren't as bad or worse than Hitler, death tolls isn't the way to go about it.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 6, 2019

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

So it would be more accurate to compare Stalin to Pol Pot?

Nah, pol pot wiped out like a quarter of the population. Nor did Stalin have the backing of the US and Britain. Quite the contrary actually

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

You are counting (perhaps fairly) all the estimated deaths of WW2, thus seeing Nazi Germany as the sole cause of all the conflicts resulting of the war. The Stalin regime is estimated to have resulted in the deaths of between 20-43 million people, depending on which source (i.e. which of all the horrible events are counted). Oh and then there is Mao Zedong who managed to work 45 million people to death in less than the duration of WW2. Not to mention the immense suffering of the people living in these regimes.

If you want to tell people that Stalin or other communist leaders weren't as bad or worse than Hitler, death tolls isn't the way to go about it.

post your sources

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
We get the best episode in years and this is what you idiots post about?

e: Did anyone notice that Clarkson's glasses were broken at one point of the episode with no comment being made on it?

bloom fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 6, 2019

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

bloom posted:

e: Did anyone notice that Clarkson's glasses were broken at one point of the episode with no comment being made on it?

This was the best episode of top gear or TGT in 6 or 7 years.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

bloom posted:

Why do you think some of us have been reading SA for so long? :staredog:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Who honestly still watches this poo poo anyway

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Mongolia special might be my favorite episode ever of these 3 guys. I really wasn't expecting it to be this good, but clearly they nailed it

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah going to make an off-topic post and state that was a good episode.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

dk2m posted:

Mongolia special might be my favorite episode ever of these 3 guys. I really wasn't expecting it to be this good, but clearly they nailed it

Impressive that they were able to work all the humor and content of the Bolivia special into a traversal of a much less varied terrain

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah that was super good.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

The most surprising thing about this one is that I never heard anyone yell CLARKSON! all angry. Like pranks aside, once they got the car put together there were a lot of opportunities to get angry about something and nobody did.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 7, 2019

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is this a kit car or a one off?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Friar Zucchini posted:

The most surprising thing about this one is that I never heard anyone yell CLARKSON! all angry. Like pranks aside, once they got the car put together there were a lot of opportunities to get angry about something and nobody did.
Especially because there was one in the trailer. I think it was Hammond.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

Is this a kit car or a one off?

One off built by a company called Howard Marshall Engineering based on the end credits.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Jose posted:

post your sources

Nah. It's easy to find by yourself (no one else is posting sources while defending Stalin of all people) and this stupid derail has gone on for too long.

Sorry I got sucked in and furthered the derail. Good to hear that TGT has become better. The first season was pretty bad (compared to the Top Gear years) but the second was better. Both felt too scripted and didn't have the illusion of improvisation like even the later Top Gear episodes had. I'll have to watch more of the 3rd season I guess.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 7, 2019

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

sincx posted:

I think an actual lesson you can take away from the Mongolia episode is that keeping things simple really does wonders for reliability. When all you have is a drive train and a few lights, not much can go wrong.
This is a lesson on how to make their show better too. The simplicity of the presentation and how it was scripted is also part of what made it so good. There was some contrived drama (and I bet off screen they camped in a big setup with catering and booze) but the stakes were super low and it was easy to ignore. No stupid bridge crossings with dramatic music... they just went around the bridge. No volcano or oxygen starvation or falling off mountains. When they forded the river the worst thing that was gonna happen was the engine flooding. No car floating off and the trio drowning to dramatic music.

All around the absence of competition and life threatening drama is really key to what made this so good for me. Just dicking around on holiday in a beautiful remote place.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

Nah. It's easy to find by yourself (no ones else is posting sources while defending Stalin of all people) and this stupid derail has gone on for too long.

Sorry I got sucked in and furthered the derail. Good to hear that TGT has become better. The first season was pretty bad (compared to the Top Gear years) but the second was better. Both felt too scripted and didn't have the illusion of improvisation like even the later Top Gear episodes had. I'll have to watch more of the 3rd season I guess.

A lot of words for the latter option of “post your sources or stfu”.

If there’s any derail, it was on tgt, where are beloved boys spent a few min on a boring segment giving credence to dumb nazi propaganda that you among many others have eaten up.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

sincx posted:

I think an actual lesson you can take away from the Mongolia episode is that keeping things simple really does wonders for reliability. When all you have is a drive train and a few lights, not much can go wrong.

It also helps having a camera crew available who can radio out for spare parts to fix it when the cameras aren't rolling.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also provide you unlimited fuel while you dick about in the mud for days :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Bread Liar

Qmass posted:

No stupid bridge crossings with dramatic music... they just went around the bridge. No volcano or oxygen starvation or falling off mountains.

I agree 100% with you, but I still would have like to have seen the skull waterfall.

I even looked up Moron on google maps to see if I could find it. I found the double lake and the river, but couldn't see any waterfalls.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I agree 100% with you, but I still would have like to have seen the skull waterfall.

I even looked up Moron on google maps to see if I could find it. I found the double lake and the river, but couldn't see any waterfalls.

Someone made this map of some of the landmarks, doesn't have everything yet and I'm not sure how accurate it is with some things:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qUCYZ4nxhH4dXnbmdjI1UtdkffStOaL4&usp=sharing

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just finished the episode. This was great.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

It also helps having a camera crew available who can radio out for spare parts to fix it when the cameras aren't rolling.

It'll almost certainly never happen, but I'd be really interested in a behind the scenes special where it shows what it takes to produce one of these trips.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What was going on with the drivetrain causing the hop?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

blunt posted:

It'll almost certainly never happen, but I'd be really interested in a behind the scenes special where it shows what it takes to produce one of these trips.
There is actually a heap of it on youtube. Lots of footage of a bunch of random crew chilling out with one of the 3 dickheads interrupting everyone :P

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

FogHelmut posted:

probably a lack of weight on the front end that doesn't allow the wheels to grip when the spin (I think thats what they said)-- thats why they reverse up for a bit to fix the problem. Conservation of angular momentum?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

I’m not an engineer, but I’d say not enough weight over the front axel combined with four-wheel drive and the knobby tires.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
What I want to know is did they have to caulk the land cruiser and float it across the river? Or just cross using the marked crossing that was probably 10km downstream?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Bread Liar

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

What I want to know is did they have to caulk the land cruiser and float it across the river? Or just cross using the marked crossing that was probably 10km downstream?

According to the map posted above, it looks like they drove right past the village of dzagasata dugan, so they were probably able to ford there.

Or at the delightful Harganat River Lodge perhaps.

Zoom out on the links to see the markers for the special.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 7, 2019

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

According to the map posted above, it looks like they drove right past the village of dzagasata dugan, so they were probably able to ford there.

Or at the delightful Harganat River Lodge perhaps.

Zoom out on the links to see the markers for the special.

Yeah, following the map there were several settlements/campgrounds along their route. They had to set up their shots carefully to maintain the illusion that they were in the middle of nowhere.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

You mean to tell me that overhead data line they came upon wasn't just striking out into nothing from the oasis of Mörön?

It was a good episode. As always, it's scripted just enough to be annoying, because it's really not necessary. That area is legitimately remote, it didn't need to be exaggerated. The part where John was almost completely sideways was very sketchy (and silly as always, clearly the camera crew didn't cross that garbage).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Catching up — the previous episode, with the 917 race and the nu-Lancias and the airport-mobiles, was absolutely top-notch material.

Just seeing a real 917 moving was special enough, but a flat-capped Atwood grinning ear-to-ear while dueling a modern Porsche was some fuckin prime cuts.