Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Caesar Saladin posted:

the funniest thing about sekiro not having an easy mode is all of these game journos on twitter being unable to finish it, and then trying to ramble about disabled accessibility as an excuse to add an easy mode. I think its funny that they think disabled people are bad at games just because game journos are. There's a dude who kicks rear end at street fighter with his tongue and has little flappy hands and that game is hard to play at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSJM9qF0txw
u dont even need hands to play star craft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Gaming 1999: Oh just use the cheat codes if you don't have time to play it normally.
Gaming 2019: Git gud baby, how dare you have a life outside one game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You can only cheat in PC games nowadays :(

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

I watched that live-ish. He got in a little bit of trouble afterwards, but it's a really good snippet of his personality in the normally very serious pro scene.

In my defense of watching others play video games, I actually DID play bw/sc2 seriously. Does that make more more or less of a loser?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

2house2fly posted:

I find it interesting that while there are people getting mad Sekiro doesn't have a chill mode so you can relax and take in the scenery, I don't think I've ever seen anyone calling for the reverse- a Gone Home challenge mode or whatever

The opposite of getting mad about Sexyro being hard is getting mad about games like Gone Home existing at all, which applies to plenty of shitlords

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

The opposite of getting mad about Sexyro being hard is getting mad about games like Gone Home existing at all, which applies to plenty of shitlords

gone home but you have to do a hard rhythm game to find out that your sister's gay

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

gone home but you have to do a hard rhythm game to find out that your sister's gay

Thats just listening to a riot grrrl album.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

No one wants a hard version of walking sims because people still remember sierra

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Flannelette posted:

Gaming 1999: Oh just use the cheat codes if you don't have time to play it normally.

Before the 90s only the winners got trophies

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Flannelette posted:

Except there is literally like .01% of games in 2019 that actually ask you to git gud, the rest give you color coded presents that do the work for you and pat you on the back for picking up garbage off the ground like you accomplished something. Which is also the most amazingly millenial/Gen Z thing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Flannelette posted:

More like Gaming 2019: Buy the $5 DLC that gives you completely unbalanced stuff that lets you autowin.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Participation trophies were invented by Boomer and Gen X parents.

Games can ask you to get good while also providing opportunities to get assistance. Golf for instance has a handicap system so two unevenly skilled players can compete against one another and in bowling you provide bumpers to people beginning to play so they have help as they practice getting good.

In my opinion there should only be one "difficulty mode" and then a variety of assistance or hindrances you select. Developers get to focus on finding the exact perfect balance and vision while people who want adjustments still have the option without being locked into set packages or having to play different content.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 6, 2019

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

FoolyCharged posted:

No one wants a hard version of walking sims because people still remember sierra

It's cool dude just remember to throw your boot at the cat you see at the beginning of the game for about 2 seconds that looks like it's just a cool background detail, otherwise the rat won't help you get out of the ropes later

Barudak
May 7, 2007

signalnoise posted:

It's cool dude just remember to throw your boot at the cat you see at the beginning of the game for about 2 seconds that looks like it's just a cool background detail, otherwise the rat won't help you get out of the ropes later

Oh sorry, you didnt search your crashed plane before crossing the rope bridge which collapses so you lack the sandwich necessary to lure the rat with the ley to you after you make a voodoo doll in your prison cell of the gaurd.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Barudak posted:

In my opinion there should only be one "difficulty mode" and then a variety of assistance or hindrances you select. Developers get to focus on finding the exact perfect balance and vision while people who want adjustments still have the option without being locked into set packages or having to play different content.

Dirt Rally does this really well. It's a hard as balls rally racing sim but has options for steering assist, braking assist, etc to the point where it feels super arcadey with everything on. As you get better you can turn assists off one by one.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

2house2fly posted:

You can only cheat in PC games nowadays :(

IIRC, Rage 2 just reintroduced cheats which you can either unlock during SP, or buy via pre-ordering.

It's hosed up....

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Barudak posted:

This is why the Souls game basically have the best difficulty adjustments in any game. It's also why Sekiro is making people lose their loving minds because that invisible slider is barely there and they can't easily cheese poo poo and tell themselves they beat it.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Barudak posted:

Participation trophies were invented by Boomer and Gen X parents.

Games can ask you to get good while also providing opportunities to get assistance. Golf for instance has a handicap system so two unevenly skilled players can compete against one another and in bowling you provide bumpers to people beginning to play so they have help as they practice getting good.

I fukken hate bumper bowling because when I was a kid, my dad would sometimes take my best friend and to the bowling alley. I would always bowl normally but my friend would always abuse the poo poo out of the bumpers to the point that the ball would bounce off the bumpers like six times before it reached the pins and get just a stupid amount of strikes. Like this 9-year-old kid is putting up a 190 or some crazy poo poo like that. This motherfucker tripled my score and he didn't even like bowling.

Anyway, long story short, that's why I had an eating disorder in middle school.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
how many more games before FromSoft finally adds a "Quit to Desktop" option?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Flannelette posted:

if you wanted to cheat you would've bought it on pc so you can inject it with cheatengine hooks

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Too hard to select extra menu option, nub? Git... Gud :agesilaus:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

i keep trying to run these git commands in a linux prompt but they don't seem to work, how do i git gud?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

i keep trying to run these git commands in a linux prompt but they don't seem to work, how do i git gud?

Make sure it’s installed first, just sudo apt get install git, then “git going” heh heh just a lil Yospos humor for ya

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I like how games need to be insultingly easy or else you cant play them and also have a life too.

Check this: i work a ton in a gruelling job and also juggle a social life and i play hard games on purpose! :twisted:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
"Let me tell you something you already know. Dark Souls ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty game, and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as Smough. But it ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of Nito, or Sif, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're gudder than that!" - rockey Balboa

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I wish the metroidvania craze just ended already. Every game that looks interesting bam, it's actually a metroidvania. There's even a game where the fact it's a metroidvania is a mid-game twist. Give me back my linear games with no backtracking. :negative:

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Magnitogorsk. posted:

I just started playing Assassins Creed Origins, and it shocked me that it had a quit to desktop option. I never thought an Assassins Creed game would ever give me the freedom of quitting a game now and not 10 minutes from now.

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
As an adult who loves crying about"game journos" on line i also would like to remind everyone that in my day toys were for REAL MEN

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Game journalism was perfected in 1990 and it has all been downhill since then.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm the man giving a thumbs up while asleep

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vakal posted:

Game journalism was perfected in 1990 and it has all been downhill since then.

This is also a good metric for blowjobs.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Needs to use the pain scale faces.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
5.0 means the game is so good you had a psychotic episode.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

5.0 means the game is so good you had a psychotic episode.

Ah yes, Rocket Jockey

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The Witcher 3 is definitely a big fat 1.0 on that chart.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

*gruff hyper-masculine dude fucks bombshells in between exploring the most boring game world ever designed*

omg this is sublime storytelling! Did you see the part where there was a war and the peasants are hungry?!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i think Quest for Glory is a better and more fun series than Monkey Island

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Who bowls with bumpers on when learning, unless you're a churlish 4 year old what the actual gently caress?

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Risk of Rain 2 is just a competitive looting simulator that is designed to ruin friendships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

The Witcher 3 sucks and I’m glad I’m not alone

There’s dozens of us!