Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bewbies posted:

That said another second-order effect of Russian attack aviation was them forcing the German army to maintain a higher density of anti-aircraft shooters than any army we had seen before, or are likely to ever see. They had to spend a whole lot of boys and bullets worrying about the air threat, and that is significant.

Curious about this - i know German SPAAGs were a thing but I didn't think they had a ton of them? Or is this fixed AA which sounds like it would be v vulnerable on the strategic defence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Instead of a few big bombs, the Soviets ended up equipping IL-2s with small shaped charge bombs weighting only 2.5 Kg each. They could carry like 200 of these, and so when they dropped them on a target it had the effect of a cluster bomb. Probably wouldn't totally destroy a tank, but it could cause a lot of damage, and of course destroy any trucks or unarmoured vehicles.

What you do with those is find a supply convoy and fly down it spamming bomblets the whole time. This is really rough on trucks, you can hit dozens in one pass. Now a Panzer regiment is out of spare parts, fuel, and ammo. That's worth the whole four ship IL2 element you sent after it.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Sticks of small bombs may have been ineffective against tanks and somewhat (to one degree or another) against other military vehicles. But I'd bet they were depressingly effective against the horses the Nazis depended on.

Poor horsies. :smith:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Minto Took posted:

It was squash courts under the old football stadium. I used to work around there.

There's also a little plaque on the street on top of where CP1 was.

There's also a plaque marking the spot in a forest preserve outside of Chicago where the remains of CP1 are buried

It is regularly defaced

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Neophyte posted:

Sticks of small bombs may have been ineffective against tanks and somewhat (to one degree or another) against other military vehicles. But I'd bet they were depressingly effective against the horses the Nazis depended on.

Poor horsies. :smith:

A 2.5kg shaped charge to the engine deck is going to turn a tank into a pillbox pretty effectively.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I have a question for everyone here. Has your interest/study of military history impacted how you view war and/or violence?

I ask because I feel it's profoundly changed how I view war and I wonder if others have had the same experience. I went from being what I would describe as a fairly hawkish teenager to being close to being a pacifist. Wouldn't say I'm all the way there, I still think it's morally just to punch fascists for instance, but I now have pretty strong feelings about most violence.

That early interest was more of a "tanks are cool" type thing (Tanks are still cool), which drew me into more academic type stuff. I think being exposed to the personal histories and broader social topics surrounding military history made a lot of things really hit home to me as I grew older. What I find strange sometimes is that I still find all the same stuff cool that I did as a teenager, but it's mixed up in adult me hating war and violence.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

When the tanks did get hit, the crew (if green) would panic and abandon them.

This bit I don't understand. I have 0 military experience, but if I'm currently being machinegunned then inside a tank seems like an excellent place to be.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The main morale hit is from feeling helpless. There isn't much a tank can do vs a plane after all and it really clashes against the whole 'titan of the battlefield' mentality of going into battle wrapped in armor.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Lemony posted:

I have a question for everyone here. Has your interest/study of military history impacted how you view war and/or violence?

I ask because I feel it's profoundly changed how I view war and I wonder if others have had the same experience. I went from being what I would describe as a fairly hawkish teenager to being close to being a pacifist. Wouldn't say I'm all the way there, I still think it's morally just to punch fascists for instance, but I now have pretty strong feelings about most violence.

That early interest was more of a "tanks are cool" type thing (Tanks are still cool), which drew me into more academic type stuff. I think being exposed to the personal histories and broader social topics surrounding military history made a lot of things really hit home to me as I grew older. What I find strange sometimes is that I still find all the same stuff cool that I did as a teenager, but it's mixed up in adult me hating war and violence.

I’m not a historian or anything close but I find military tech to be fascinating since it’s usually bleeding edge. It’s the most direct engineering response to a specific problem and that’s cool as hell. Same reason I love space flight. It was tough to reconcile the actual human cost of the people inside the contraptions and what they had to go through because my grandfather died before he would tell me about what he went through. He was a b-17 gunner that was shot down and spent a bit over a year in a pow camp. I barely remember when gw1 broke out and i never had a direct connection to the kind of violence a war can bring until the gwot where i lost a few friends that signed up. The more I learn about the personal loss either directly or through reading the more and more pacifist I get because it really does gently caress people up in every conceivable way.

i still think tech is cool as hell tho.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

This bit I don't understand. I have 0 military experience, but if I'm currently being machinegunned then inside a tank seems like an excellent place to be.

I would imagine it’s loving terrifying to be racked with canon fire even if you are in a vehicle that is largely (but not totally) impervious to it. A tank sticks out like a sore thumb and if a fighter bomber completes multiple strafing passes on it, especially if the crew is green, yea I can see why they would eventually panic and bail for the woods on the side of the road.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Wasn't there something about it being really loving loud to get hit plus spalling? Might be just intolerable inside.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
This is pretty loving cool.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/apr/06/casimir-pulaski-polish-general-woman-intersex

quote:

Researchers believe a famed Polish general who fought in the American Revolutionary war may have been a woman or possibly intersex.
A new Smithsonian Channel documentary examines the history of Casimir Pulaski, a Polish cavalryman who became a protege of George Washington.

Researchers began their work when a monument to the general in Savannah, Georgia, was set to be removed. Pulaski’s bones were contained in a metal box under the monument, which was erected in 1854. Charles Merbs, a forensic anthropologist at Arizona State University who worked on the case, said that allowed researchers to exhume the skeleton for study.

“Basically I couldn’t say anything about what I found until the final report came out,” Merbs told ASU Now. He worked with Dr Karen Burns, a physical anthropologist at the University of Georgia, and other experts.

“Dr Burns said to me before I went in, ‘Go in and don’t come out screaming.’ She said study it very carefully and thoroughly and then let’s sit down and discuss it. I went in and immediately saw what she was talking about.

“The skeleton is about as female as can be.”

The source link https://asunow.asu.edu/20190405-discoveries-asu-bioarchaeologist-uncovers-200-year-old-mystery

quote:

“America’s Hidden Stories: The General Was Female?” will air on the Smithsonian Channel at 8 and 11 p.m. Monday, April 8, and at 1 p.m. Tuesday, April 9.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
he's still male. he's just a man who happens to have had a woman's body, at least partially (he could grow a small moustache)

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

And a very dashing-looking man at that

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
so how do you teach americans how to cav if you can't speak english

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

HEY GUNS posted:

Any american officer worth anything spoke french, and so did Pulaski.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My one of my granddad's few anecdotes about the war was that he always wanted to be a tanker. Until he saw one get hit and brew up in front of him.

Tanks are big and conspicuous and if you are in one and being shot at there's good odds that any second a big one is on the way to end you. If you are running around on the ground then lots of the time you have the option to find a way not to be shot at.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

HEY GUNS posted:

Speak really slowly with gestures

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

"pointy end goes THAT way"
*gets shot*
:horse:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Well you CAN bomb tanks if you throw enough of them at it.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 7, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Vahakyla posted:

Any american officer worth anything spoke french, and so did Pulaski.

i honestly forgot about eastern european nobles and french, thx

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Alchenar posted:

My one of my granddad's few anecdotes about the war was that he always wanted to be a tanker. Until he saw one get hit and brew up in front of him.

Tanks are big and conspicuous and if you are in one and being shot at there's good odds that any second a big one is on the way to end you. If you are running around on the ground then lots of the time you have the option to find a way not to be shot at.

Yeah but tanks also have a dramatically lower chance of getting cut up by shrapnel from a mortar shooting vaguely in your direction, which is how the majority of infantry died.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Now I wonder the opposite question to before. If you have to choose to be in *combat* in WWII, what branch would you pick? Like assuming you can't just pick a nice desk job a thousand miles away from the action, or guard an airfield miles away from everything, you have to shoot something.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
As I mentioned upstream, I'm starting a podcast here in Denmark with the theme of "insane stories from milhist", basically.

Current subjects for the first season are: Gurkha medal recipients, Sir Garnet Wolseleys career, Baron Von Ungern-Sternberg shaman kingdom bogaloo, and the many gos at the Isonzo Front - but for these weighty (except maybe Wolsely and the gurkhas) subjects I feel like I'd need some practice first.

I think I'd like to start with some lighter stuff, and so I'm asking the thread for suggestions: Which times in the history of warfare did some truly entertaining (to the milhist fan anyway) happen often enough for it to be remarked upon in sources?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Tias posted:

As I mentioned upstream, I'm starting a podcast here in Denmark with the theme of "insane stories from milhist", basically.

Current subjects for the first season are: Gurkha medal recipients, Sir Garnet Wolseleys career, Baron Von Ungern-Sternberg shaman kingdom bogaloo, and the many gos at the Isonzo Front - but for these weighty (except maybe Wolsely and the gurkhas) subjects I feel like I'd need some practice first.

I think I'd like to start with some lighter stuff, and so I'm asking the thread for suggestions: Which times in the history of warfare did some truly entertaining (to the milhist fan anyway) happen often enough for it to be remarked upon in sources?

I nominate https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandra_Samusenko

Female guards tank commander
Defeated 3 Tiger tanks in one battle in a 76mm T34
Picked up an American POW to join her tank crew
Killed a month before the end of the war

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 7, 2019

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Fangz posted:

Now I wonder the opposite question to before. If you have to choose to be in *combat* in WWII, what branch would you pick? Like assuming you can't just pick a nice desk job a thousand miles away from the action, or guard an airfield miles away from everything, you have to shoot something.

British AA gunner during the Battle of Britain. German heavy AA gunner near some industrial center far, far away from the front.

Both have an approximately zero percent chance of getting killed or injured.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

British AA gunner during the Battle of Britain. German heavy AA gunner near some industrial center far, far away from the front.

Both have an approximately zero percent chance of getting killed or injured.

In the latter case wouldn't you have a pretty high chance of ending up in some no retreat fortress city situation?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Fangz posted:

In the latter case wouldn't you have a pretty high chance of ending up in some no retreat fortress city situation?

Sure, but by that point I've fulfilled the criteria of having shot at something during combat in WW2, and vanish in a puff of hypothetical smoke.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

feedmegin posted:

Curious about this - i know German SPAAGs were a thing but I didn't think they had a ton of them? Or is this fixed AA which sounds like it would be v vulnerable on the strategic defence.

Iirc the Germans built less than 500 SPAAG's over the war, primarily on Pz4 chassis that came in for repair, in the last 2 years of the war.

They had thousands of half-tracks with AA guns mounted, though.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

Late-war reconnaissance pilot. The enemy has no meaningful way to shoot you down and you're just taking photos.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Fangz posted:

I nominate https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandra_Samusenko

Female guards tank commander
Defeated 3 Tiger tanks in one battle in a 76mm T34
Picked up an American POW to join her tank crew
Killed a month before the end of the war

Thanks! Slightly depressing for a first episode, though, I think.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Not entirely lighter stuff but you might find Charles Upham intteresting. He's one of only three people to win the VC twice, and the only one to win it twice for combat actions (the other two won theirs for being medics working in combat). He was later captured and demonstrated a keen enthusiasm for escape attempts:

quote:

One attempt to escape occurred when a group of POWs were being transported in open trucks through Italy. Upham jumped from the truck at a bend and managed to get 400 yards (370 m) away before being recaptured. He had broken an ankle in jumping from the moving truck.

On another occasion, he tried to escape a camp by climbing its fences in broad daylight. He became entangled in barbed wire when he fell down between the two fences. When a prison guard pointed a pistol at his head and threatened to shoot, Upham calmly ignored him and lit a cigarette. This scene was photographed by the Germans as "evidence" and later reprinted in a biography, Mark of the Lion, by Kenneth Sandford.

After this incident, Upham was considered extremely dangerous and was placed in solitary confinement. He was only allowed to exercise alone, while accompanied by two armed guards and while covered by a machine gun in a tower. Despite these precautions, Upham bolted from his little courtyard, straight through the German barracks and out through the front gate of the camp. The guard in the machine-gun tower later told other prisoners that he refrained from shooting Upham out of sheer respect, and as he could see German soldiers coming up the road whom he expected to capture Upham. Upham was soon recaptured and sent to the infamous Oflag IV-C (Colditz) on 14 October 1944.

He re-equipped after Colditz was liberated by US troops and attempted to rejoin the fight but was sent back to New Zealand, where his community raised a large sum of money to buy him a farm, but he declined the money and donated it to a scholarship fund. He spent the rest of his life farming and continuing to hate Germans.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

HEY GUNS posted:

Contrarily how can you teach cav if you're from Bad Cav Island?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

They weren't big on SPAAGs, their main thing was towed 20mm or 37mm guns. They made jillions of them and they were everywhere.

There's no way to prove this but I'd bet the Flak 30/38 shot down more planes than any other system in history.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Don Gato posted:

Late-war reconnaissance pilot. The enemy has no meaningful way to shoot you down and you're just taking photos.

Alright pilot, your Fw 189 is over ---> there, go photo some Soviets :sun:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Dance Officer posted:

Iirc the Germans built less than 500 SPAAG's over the war, primarily on Pz4 chassis that came in for repair, in the last 2 years of the war.

They had thousands of half-tracks with AA guns mounted, though.

A halftrack with an AA gun mounted is a SPAAG

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
I've always liked military history and thought tanks were pretty cool.

As an adult, I detest war and find it gross, I do have internal conflict between enjoying this subject and realizing it's really dark a lot of the time.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Alright pilot, your Fw 189 is over ---> there, go photo some Soviets :sun:

Get in the plane and fly West

On that topic, if you wanted to defect in an aircraft, how do you best communicate that intention? Can you get on an allied frequency in a German plane?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Fangz posted:

Swords are really great at convoying all sorts of messages being thrust at you.