Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Oh, and I'm in the market for a webcomic to read. Preferably something with a bigass archive, p good art, and a solid story. Long term favorites of mine are Unsounded, Girl Genius, Kill Six Billion Demons (obviously), and every one of John Allison's various jams. Would love recommendations from all and sundry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Uh, Paranatural, duh

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Uh, Paranatural, duh

Binged 2-3 weeks ago after clicking a link from someone's av on SA and loved it. Sadly, I'm all caught up. 100% desirous of Starchman Stars.

e: it was neogeo0823, thank you neogeo0823 for adding that joy to my life.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 6, 2019

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Uh, Gunnerkrigg Court, Cucumber Quest, and O Human Star are three I enjoy a lot that sorta fit the bill.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fun hater posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-7B9zHem1I

quoted part starts at :54

sorry in advance

i figured it was just made up lyrics lmao

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Uh, Gunnerkrigg Court, Cucumber Quest, and O Human Star are three I enjoy a lot that sorta fit the bill.

I like Gunnerkrigg, so I'll def try out the other two. Thanks!

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
if you haven't read rice boy read rice boy

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

Oh, and I'm in the market for a webcomic to read. Preferably something with a bigass archive, p good art, and a solid story. Long term favorites of mine are Unsounded, Girl Genius, Kill Six Billion Demons (obviously), and every one of John Allison's various jams. Would love recommendations from all and sundry.

Monster Pulse (which is done by Tom Siddell's wife, Magnolia Porter, fyi). Kiwi Blitz. Thistil Mistil Kistil.

Speaking of Monster Pulse, thank loving Chirst Edward's back to help Julie get over her bullshit in time to go kill god or whatever Lulenski turned into.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

tinaun posted:

Oh yeah, do that too

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
i've been reading through Kill Witch Kill and i have no idea whats happening but it's a wild ride.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

tinaun posted:

:yeah:

also It Hurts!! is my favorite webcomic so i will never give up a chance to recommend it. it's complete, has a satisfying ending, and is very emotionally taxing

you could even say

it hurts

(it starts out kinda rough, especially artwise, but by the end of the first chapter you'll know for sure if it's for you or not)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

habeasdorkus posted:

Give a try to Widdershins, Snow by Night, Marblegate, Everblue and Badnix; to give names that haven't been suggested already.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

habeasdorkus posted:

Astral Aves and Blasphemous Saga Fantasy might fit the bill.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Try Supermassive Black Hole A*.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
never satisfied is kicking rear end, demon street is a gorgeous comic that i need to reread to see how the pacing works

a ghost story is good and the author posts here

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 6, 2019

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im gonna catch up on witchy and report back, it kept feeling like it was taking just a bit long to get to revealing anything about what the future holds for the mc other than being a fugitive

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

habeasdorkus posted:

A bit more on the "sundry" side of things, Awful Hospital is neat. One of the few "reader driven" comics left in the wake of MSPaint Adventures, Awful Hospital has a cartoonish horror vibe to it, and contains good jokes, absurd monster designs, and a very novel twist to the setting that is a lot of fun to think about.

In today's update, a medical professional offers a treat to a completely normal child.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Silver Snail posted:

A bit more on the "sundry" side of things, Awful Hospital is neat. One of the few "reader driven" comics left in the wake of MSPaint Adventures, Awful Hospital has a cartoonish horror vibe to it, and contains good jokes, absurd monster designs, and a very novel twist to the setting that is a lot of fun to think about.

To be fair MSPaint Adventures hasn't been "reader driven" in a looooong time, but if you like interactive stories there's plenty of websites for them.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wilde life is good gritty urban rural fantasy

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

habeasdorkus posted:

Gaia is a pretty good fantasy comic (No, this isn't the one with talking raccoons) with good art, a reasonably large archive (740+ strips), and an interesting story. The first chapter is only 49 pages and is a good setup of the characters with a surprising hook towards the end.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 6, 2019

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i need to go read digger again and see how it holds up in tyoolb 2019

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

The Silver Snail posted:

In today's update, a medical professional offers a treat to a completely normal child.

Similarly, if u like awful hospital you should check out All Night Laundry for a reader driven comic that has a ton of complicated time travel in it.

The artist updates every day incessantly and somehow doesn't make a time travel plotline completely insufferable.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Everblue makes me so sad. It’s a great comic with great artwork, a wonderful premise and a strong sense of where it’s going with its plot, but this one page every four months bullshit is just the worst. I know the author has a life and a lot of concerns he’s been dealing with for the past 5 years, but there’s got to be a better way to go about this.

The same fight scene has been going on for three years now! :negative:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tollymain posted:

i need to go read digger again and see how it holds up in tyoolb 2019

Digger is eternal

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Tollymain posted:

can confirm wilde life loving rules imo

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Anyone who hasn't read Digger yet do so immediately

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
iirc digger’s initial acclaim was partly because webcomics were still fairly young and the creators were even flakier than usual, and then you had digger, which went “I have a story to tell you. I am telling the story. The story is now told, thank you for reading”

It’s still good (though the art is a little touch-and-go) but it was its tightness and focus that really distinguished it

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No way, Digger was a great story and the art is good. Nobody would praise and acclaim a mediocre webcomic just for sticking to an update schedule, no matter how flaky other creators were.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cup Runneth Over posted:

No way, Digger was a great story and the art is good. Nobody would praise and acclaim a mediocre webcomic just for sticking to an update schedule, no matter how flaky other creators were.

hi welcome to questionablecontent dot net

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Straight White Shark posted:

"Web Cartoonists' Choice Awards" are not real awards

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
making a webcomic is a seriously obscene amount of work, "eight hours per page" doesn't sound like that much when you compare it to an average workday but when you translate it to time actually spent bowed over the paper/tablet obsessively inking strands of hair then you start to realise why webcomic creators are, as a rule, insane

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
every time nowadays i go to criticise, say, gunnerkrigg, i make myself stop and look at the number of pages put out from the beginning until this day and do the mental calculations as to how much actual real-time labour has been involved and i think "who in fact, the gently caress do i think i am" and instead go outside to frolic in the sunshine

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Straight White Shark posted:

What does it say about Diesel Sweeties then, that I stopped reading DS but still read QC?

(though John Allison had QC nailed all the way back in 2006)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

it didn't just stick to an update schedule, it had a well-paced and plotted story that actually finished in less than a geologic age

even today there's precious few webcomics that can say the same

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Wait what the hell, this made me realize that my RSS broke or something when Unsounded went on a short break - I thought the dude had just ghosted because no more updates filtered through, but apparently it was just my feed?

Plus side this means I am more than a chapter behind and I have a bunch of update to binge on now. :toot:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

habeasdorkus posted:

Binged 2-3 weeks ago after clicking a link from someone's av on SA and loved it. Sadly, I'm all caught up. 100% desirous of Starchman Stars.

e: it was neogeo0823, thank you neogeo0823 for adding that joy to my life.

You're welcome :)

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Meredith Gran is an actual professor of comics now? That's loving awesome.

e: that entire article is awesome and as someone who was like two and a half social circles removed from the Easthampton set circa 2005-2006 makes a whole lot of sense to me.

I looked it up. http://www.sva.edu/faculty/program/cartooning

Includes Bill Griffith of Zippy fame, Phil Jimenez who did a bunch of stuff for Marvel and DC, and a bunch of other comic artists and editors I don't recognize.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ashcans posted:

Wait what the hell, this made me realize that my RSS broke or something when Unsounded went on a short break - I thought the dude had just ghosted because no more updates filtered through, but apparently it was just my feed?

Plus side this means I am more than a chapter behind and I have a bunch of update to binge on now. :toot:

boy are you in for some poo poo

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Tollymain posted:

Wilde Life is weirding me out, because I am increasingly unsure why Oscar is the main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hes the sidekick