Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Would Django Unchained be considered a western? It starts in Texas and then they spend some time in the frontier before heading back to the Deep South.

I guess The Hateful Eight is a western too. Quentin Tarantino, the new John Ford.

That's kind of the whole point, what with Django being part of something of an unofficial franchise of movies sharing mostly only the name, so I'd say very much so. I think a lot of Tarantino's filmography is heavily and deliberately Western inspired in various places, what with him being a gigantic film nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Gun was a pretty solid Western game, if we're still talking about that.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

breaking bad is a western

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Die Hard was kind of a western.

Yippee Ki Yay.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Leavemywife posted:

I preferred Red Dead Revolver.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's kind of the whole point, what with Django being part of something of an unofficial franchise of movies sharing mostly only the name, so I'd say very much so. I think a lot of Tarantino's filmography is heavily and deliberately Western inspired in various places, what with him being a gigantic film nerd.

Inglourious Basterds is still Tarantino's best western movie.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Leavemywife posted:

It was. You could even get all Blood Meridian with it and scalp people.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Leavemywife posted:

OHHHH, THERE ONCE WAS A DODGE CITY MAID

WHO WAS A WHOOOORE BY TRADE

(I have no idea why that still pops into my head literally a decade later)

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

I preferred Red Dead Revolver.

Revolver was a good game, too. However, it did lack the dynamite bow that Gun gave you. Though, the Mexican general did have the exploding shot special, didn't he?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My favorite thing in RDR2 is wearing the hat of the last guy I killed. Well, that or discovering that blasting the eugenics' guy's face off with a saw'd off shotgun wasn't considered a crime. In fact I turned and said howdy to a police officer that just stood there watching the whole thing.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

I liked how alcohol refilled your health so you go through every gunfight slamming whiskey straight from the bottle.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Byzantine posted:

I liked how alcohol refilled your health so you go through every gunfight slamming whiskey straight from the bottle.

If you just took six gunshots, wouldn't you want a shot of hooch?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Solice Kirsk posted:

My favorite thing in RDR2 is wearing the hat of the last guy I killed. Well, that or discovering that blasting the eugenics' guy's face off with a saw'd off shotgun wasn't considered a crime. In fact I turned and said howdy to a police officer that just stood there watching the whole thing.

So there's another Herbert Moon?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Leavemywife posted:

If you just took six gunshots, wouldn't you want a shot of hooch?

I'm reasonably certain that I'd want to drink all of the booze after getting shot just once but that's just me.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Y'all are forgetting the best Western game ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSfmVvHg8k

Also like, most of the Wild Arms series probably counts, even if most of the games in the franchise are kind of hit or miss.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
Gosh, I'm now old enough that Outlaws is my go-to Western game. All-star cast like John deLancie.

At least I'm not quite old enough for it to be Custer's Revenge

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I never seen them, but on itunes they have the complete series for Chuck for $20 and Dead Like Me for $9. Were those two shows still fun to watch for someone who never seen them before, or they have some creepy thing that ruins them?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rirse posted:

I never seen them, but on itunes they have the complete series for Chuck for $20 and Dead Like Me for $9. Were those two shows still fun to watch for someone who never seen them before, or they have some creepy thing that ruins them?

Chuck has Adam Baldwin. Also everything after season 3 is bad if you're feeling generous. Everything after season 2 if you're not.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

GoutPatrol posted:

Chuck has Adam Baldwin. Also everything after season 3 is bad if you're feeling generous. Everything after season 2 if you're not.

Sadly I can't avoid him since he on Buffy as well. At least there he gets killed on the last episode.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Are you talking about Angel or Buffy?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rirse posted:

Dead Like Me is worth your nine bucks, I think. I don't recall anything horribly creepy but it's been a few years so I bet there's *something*.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I never felt like Dead Like Me quite realized its potential but I still like it a lot.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gaunab posted:

Are you talking about Angel or Buffy?

Yeah, Nathan Fillion gets killed on Buffy, playing a character who seemed like nutso hyperbole in 2005 but who could be any number of mass shooters in 2019.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HopperUK posted:

Dead Like Me is worth your nine bucks, I think. I don't recall anything horribly creepy but it's been a few years so I bet there's *something*.

Bryan Fuller quit after four episodes like he always does, and the second season played very fast and loose with the continuity, but there's enough great character interplay to make it work. Only the final TV movie didn't come up to scratch.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Yeah, Nathan Fillion gets killed on Buffy, playing a character who seemed like nutso hyperbole in 2005 but who could be any number of mass shooters in 2019.

Meanwhile Adam Baldin was on the last episode of Angel and gets killed off there.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

I'm watching Cheers for the first time and man there's some poo poo that has aged badly. Sam makes more than a couple threats of violence against Diane, and there's that whole scene of him slapping her flat-out in the face. And I'm not even that far into the series!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

I'm watching Cheers for the first time and man there's some poo poo that has aged badly. Sam makes more than a couple threats of violence against Diane, and there's that whole scene of him slapping her flat-out in the face. And I'm not even that far into the series!

They uh, they kinda catch on that Sam is an awful monster and the latter seasons he constantly strikes out because women find him completely repulsive and immature while the rest of the patrons are played as pathetic and sad for still idolizing him

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
the most disappointing episode is the one where they seriously talk about how sam is a sex addict, and then the episode ends on a joke about sam wanting to do it with a woman from his sex addicts anonymous group

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

somepartsareme posted:

the most disappointing episode is the one where they seriously talk about how sam is a sex addict, and then the episode ends on a joke about sam wanting to do it with a woman from his sex addicts anonymous group

I mean, it’s still meant to be a comedy. It didn’t do a lot of meandering because it wasn’t that type of show, but when it wanted to get poignant holy poo poo hold on to your shorts

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw a gif earlier that reminds me of a late 90s/early 00s joke that movies and TV shows did that hasn't aged well, the extra tiny cellphone.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

muscles like this! posted:

Saw a gif earlier that reminds me of a late 90s/early 00s joke that movies and TV shows did that hasn't aged well, the extra tiny cellphone.

Instead of smaller we gotta make it thinner and bigger! Your new toy has to come out of the box bending under it's own weight or it isn't good enough

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

muscles like this! posted:

I think Corner Gas has an episode where the characters get smaller and smaller phones until it becomes ridiculous, and then the characters start getting large phones.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Futurama

"I'm gonna take these stocks and invest them into Amazon!"

"Sombody is a risk taker!"

Oh, Hermes, if you only knew

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Len posted:

Instead of smaller we gotta make it thinner and bigger! Your new toy has to come out of the box bending under it's own weight or it isn't good enough

Now phones are getting so big they no longer fit into pockets and they had to invent the ability to fold the screen.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Rirse posted:

Ignoring that Adam Baldwin is...problematic...Chuck’s titular character is basically a Nice Guy / White Knight, and the show eventually rewards that with romantic attention, which is probably the wrong message to send for that show’s core audience.

I enjoyed it, but it’s not something I’d ever rewatch because I know I’d just be disappointed.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Vandar posted:

Y'all are forgetting the best Western game ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSfmVvHg8k

Also like, most of the Wild Arms series probably counts, even if most of the games in the franchise are kind of hit or miss.

Oh, hey, the only other person on Earth who played Rising Zan, how are you?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

OutOfPrint posted:

Oh, hey, the only other person on Earth who played Rising Zan, how are you?

I'm doing okay, how's life treating you?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wasn't Shazam in Chuck too?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I never felt like Dead Like Me quite realized its potential but I still like it a lot.

It's always third on the list for me. Like, I'll tell people "you should watch Pushing Daisies and Wonderfalls. Oh, and Dead Like Me." I liked it, but probably not enough to recommend on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Scaramouche posted:

Wasn't Shazam in Chuck too?

Yeah, he was the title character.