Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you will be fine friend. i wouldnt be able to find a kitton outside like that without making a dumb decision a lot sooner than you, pm me if you need me to send you formula or paypal you something if you are put in an uncomfortable position. i never mind being foolish for a good cause. and hey other than the absolute grim-dark worst case scenario (which is still possible so start girding your loins in the back of your head just in case) the other worst case is that you have a super pal

also do you have a scale for drugs cooking? even a postal scale will work at this age. chili knows this poo poo with kitties better than i but monitoring weight is cool and good and important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

sneakyfrog posted:

you will be fine friend. i wouldnt be able to find a kitton outside like that without making a dumb decision a lot sooner than you, pm me if you need me to send you formula or paypal you something if you are put in an uncomfortable position. i never mind being foolish for a good cause.

I may need to take you up on this.

Hell, my mom died a couple of weeks ago and I may have to set up a GoFundMe for that.

sneakyfrog posted:

and hey other than the absolute grim-dark worst case scenario (which is still possible so start girding your loins in the back of your head just in case) the other worst case is that you have a super pal

I can’t take in another cat right now, especially one from outside. We have 3 cats already that we don’t want getting sick.

Best case, I’ll have to care for this kitten until she is old and big enough to be spayed, after which point I’ll have to put her back outside. I’m not thrilled at this possibility, but I’ve been told that every cat rescue in my area is full, so I’m not really sure what else to do.

sneakyfrog posted:

also do you have a scale for drugs cooking? even a postal scale will work at this age. chili knows this poo poo with kitties better than i but monitoring weight is cool and good and important.

Yes I have one.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
feed and weigh the kitton.

since chili chimed in earlier im sure he'll give you some input if things are going awry if its looking bad.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Okay I didn’t see a lot of the cats at feeding time tonight, so I moved the kitten back to where I found her, thinking that’s where her mom will come to find her.

My dad is telling me the best thing I can do right now is just leave the kitten alone and pray that the mom comes back for her.

The sound of her mewing is absolutely killing me though. :(

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah that sound makes me and miss frog do dumb things.

make the mew sound stop

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I would help donate for kitten expenses.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
goons can raise 15k a month for lowtax cranky rear end im not worried about us helping out a foster thread. kittens and puppies are involved thats practically cheating

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Awesome news! I found somebody on Facebook who’s willing to take this kitten in. :D

I just fed her and wiped her bits like the vet told me to. I’m worried I might’ve accidentally overfed or underfed her, but I’m pretty sure the formula at least went in her. When I warmed up the formula, I overheated it and started over twice; I poured the overheated stuff back in the original bottle with the rest, which I’m hoping didn’t ruin it. :ohdear:

Right now, the kitten is in an isolated room, in a big cardboard box with a hole cut in the top, a big towel laid down at the bottom, and one more big towel she can wrap herself in if she needs to. My house temperature is in the low 70°s and I’ve got the heater set to 76°. I don’t know that we have a working heating pad, so I’m hoping this setup will work until my friend comes to pick her up.

Is this good? Did I do good? Should I give her another towel just to be safe?

EDIT: Another pic.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 28, 2019

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you did loving stellar pal. keep it warm and safe. you are doing tops as gently caress.

who is this person and are they solid?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Sounds like you're doing fine, and I'm glad you found someone who can take her in!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Yup. You win the game!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

sneakyfrog posted:

you did loving stellar pal. keep it warm and safe. you are doing tops as gently caress.

who is this person and are they solid?

One of my old high school teachers, and yes she’s good. She has fostered and bottle-fed tiny kittens before.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yay!

:neckbeard:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Bless you :unsmith:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kitten is picked up and hopefully on her way to a good foster life.

I don’t know that this lady can care for her beyond kittenhood, but I’m sure she’ll find a good home for her if she can’t.

I think my main fear now is what if she has birth defects the vet missed?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 28, 2019

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

Kitten is picked up and hopefully on her way to a good foster life.

I don’t know that this lady can care for her beyond kittenhood, but I’m sure she’ll find a good home for her if she can’t.

I think my main fear now is what if she has birth defects the vet missed?

It sucks if kittom has defects that end up being incompatible with life, but that's the way things happen sometimes. It's certainly happened enough times on the TinyKittens youtube feed, and another reason for people to spay and neuter their dang cats -- so there aren't more and more and more unwanted kittens dying because they got the short end of the genetic stick.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
You did good, especially in finding someone better equipped to care for a kitten. Believe me, I foster every chance I get but usually only older kittens- bottle babies are a whole different level of work. Regardless of what happens from here on out, that kitten will have a better life (and better odds) than if you'd done nothing.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, you did real good. That little baby's going to be as okay as can be done.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Joining the chorus of "you did good, pal". You've given her the best shot at life you can and you should feel good about that.

Minor Tilly update: both my parents are smitten with her so I think she's officially staying lmao. She got very upset at the local outdoor cats hanging out in our yard last night and gave me a mean smack on the wrist in her confusion. Didn't know cats had that kind of strength! But we're friends again this morning :shobon:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The lady that adopted the kitten texted me last night. The kitten is alive, healthy (as far as we know), being fed every 2 hours, has access to a heating pad, and appears to have grown some. She also had a little red scratch on one of her legs that they got antibiotics for and is looking better now.

Also her name is Lizzie.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 1, 2019

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Success! No matter what happens now, you were responsible for giving her a chance. Excellent job, and go Lizzie!

If the nice lady sends you any pictures of her progress, I bet there are plenty who would love to see them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I. M. Gei posted:

The lady that adopted the kitten texted me last night. The kitten is alive, healthy (as far as we know), being fed every 2 hours, has access to a heating pad, and appears to have grown some. She also had a little red scratch on one of her legs that they got antibiotics for and is looking better now.

Also her name is Lizzie.

:toot:

As I said before: you're a good person. You saved a life.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

I. M. Gei posted:

Also her name is Lizzie.

You are a good person, and this news has cheered me greatly today.

Photos of Lizzie at some point would be nice.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

spookygonk posted:

You are a good person, and this news has cheered me greatly today.

Photos of Lizzie at some point would be nice.

The lady sent a few photos, but I worry that if I post them she’ll be able to reverse image search them and find my SA account. My goonhood is something I try to keep secret.

Though I suppose I could post a couple that don’t show her face.

EDIT:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 4, 2019

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Google thinks yon kitten is a mouse, I think you're clear for now.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
its so tiiiiiny :kimchi:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ain't gonna lie I had a silent squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee at work just now looking at that lil fluffball.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Here’s another kitten photo. This one is part of a litter that was born a few weeks ago and is just learning to walk and eat solid food. :3:

So far I’ve counted 3 of these guys: this one, an all-orange one, and another white one that may or may not have something wrong with one of its eyes (I just caught a quick glance as it was running away from me). It’s tough for me to get these pics because the kittens normally run before I can get my phone ready.

In the next week or so, I need to see about setting up a GoFundMe to get all of these yard ferals fixed so they don’t keep breeding out of control.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lizzie is such a good name for a cat

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I finally got my first set of fosters for the year! Hopefully I'll have more photos/vids later, when I'm not also hosting a birthday party for my 16 year old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrJ6VyQcgmg

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Got another text. “Mizz Lizz” is 12 days old, 5.5 oz, and still a squirmer. :3:

EDIT: :siren: HER EYES JUST OPENED!! LITERALLY JUST NOW!! :siren:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 6, 2019

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-WHW-QNswE

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

EDIT: :siren: HER EYES JUST OPENED!! LITERALLY JUST NOW!! :siren:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:siren:

yaaaaay

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

:neckbeard:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just out of curiosity, is around the point where they open their eyes when hand-raising kittens goes from "might not survive, despite your best efforts" to "probably gonna fine"?

Also :peanut:.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity, is around the point where they open their eyes when hand-raising kittens goes from "might not survive, despite your best efforts" to "probably gonna fine"?

Also :peanut:.

It's definitely an important benchmark. But, in not sure if it's something that predicts survivability better than "made it another day"

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
My foster Pixie and her babies are going back to the SPCA today for health issues. Mom Pixie has been increasingly lethargic and eating less over the day yesterday until finally she threw up what looks like a couple flatworms. :cry: Meanwhile her babies, which otherwise appear to be fine, have started to trend down in weight so we gave them a supplemental KMR feeding last night. I'm hoping that everything gets better and I can take them back in a couple days because mom and kittens both are so super sweet.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I am not a vet but I do watch kitten rescue cams pretty religiously. The first week is when most kittens who aren't going to make it (due to congenital defects) tend to go, and eyeballs come in during the second week so yeah they're a pretty good indicator that the kitten is probably normal/healthy, though of course there's never a guarantee. It's a big milestone!

Sorry about Pixie, and yeah that's the no-guarantee in action. Parasites, infections, illness can all take a healthy kitten down very easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Lizzie is 8.8 oz today! :3: