Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RatHat posted:

I think it's the latter.

I hope not, since Thor basically completely one-sidedly wrecked Lu Bu and I'd be curious to see how he'd fare against some of the humans who end up winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
IIRC, it's the first side to get 7 wins.

My bet is on the tournament going down to the wire.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yeah, there's no way it's not going the distance.

When I was reading the early chapters and the first human was Lu Bu, I Was literally thinking "Alright, so this is probably going to pull mostly from that part of the world, maybe a knight or two, kind of Fate style. Who would a more modern western hero even be? Simo Häyhä? That'd be neat, but it's not going to happen, these are arena fights". And then, lo and behold, there he was on the list. He'd better win his match, dammit.

Also, for someone whose crimes are kind of small potatoes in the scheme of history, Jack the Ripper sure has a lot of staying power in the collective consciousness, pretty much purely on how rad a name that is.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think part of it is also just how much of a mystery he is so authors can make their own version.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So can anybody tell me what makes this series seinen?

From what bits of it I've seen, it's completely indistinguishable from random shounen fighting spirit tournament #68329.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Shounen series generally have a younger protagonist with a sense of justice, also less gore in the violence. Fist of the North Star was published in Shounen Jump but it's generally considered seinen because it's gross violent and Kenshiro is a grown rear end man.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The conversation with the mother destroyed me.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Nipponophile posted:

So can anybody tell me what makes this series seinen?

From what bits of it I've seen, it's completely indistinguishable from random shounen fighting spirit tournament #68329.

it runs in a seinen magazine

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Shounen series generally have a younger protagonist with a sense of justice, also less gore in the violence. Fist of the North Star was published in Shounen Jump but it's generally considered seinen because it's gross violent and Kenshiro is a grown rear end man.

That's all mostly wrong and it is just about what kind of magazine it was printed in. Content across all demographics is a huge variety.

Seinen mags have tame adventure stories and sex comedies and family drama and high school romance and everything under the sun.

The labels aren't really genre classifications and are more of an increasingly less useful demographic tool.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 7, 2019

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Don't make me bring out the ultraviolent shoujo horror again, I'm warning you!!

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 7, 2019

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

DoubleDonut posted:

it runs in a seinen magazine

If the tag says seinen good enough for me.

Sharkopath posted:

It breaks my heart that only shoujo and Junji Ito seem to make horror anthology manga now.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Sharkopath posted:

do it u coward

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Forgot to mention but there was a new chapter of Kouya ni Kemono. Andira continues to entertain although He's supposed to be the Rabbit General, but he has the ability to control Rodents and Bats, neither of which are in the same family as Rabbits. Oh well, I'm not going to get super scientific in my sci-fi story about genetic super soldiers.

Sharkopath posted:

I'll call your bluff. Do it!

Hypocrisy posted:

It breaks my heart that only shoujo and Junji Ito seem to make horror anthology manga now.
Shibito no Koe wo Kiku ga Yoi is really good though, Also Yokai Hunter if you want a more X-Files meets Folklore approach to horror.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Sharkopath posted:

Do it coward

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://mangadex.org/title/11307/13-peoples-short-suspense-and-horror

This is just an anthology of artists who were big in the shoujo horror scene in the 90s, some are hella hella gruesome.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just randomly started reading this Radiation House manga - https://manga.fascans.com/manga/radiation-house

It's pretty interesting. It's neat to see a medical manga from the PoV of a radiographer. My dad was a radiographer in a hospital's trauma center when I was growing up, so I heard a lot about some of this stuff and saw a lot of x-rays. He was always extremely strict about stuff like wearing a helmet while biking and never riding a motorcycle, because there were a bunch of terrible injuries stemming from those things (particularly the latter, though the former was the only one directly relevant to me as a kid).

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Sharkopath posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/11307/13-peoples-short-suspense-and-horror

This is just an anthology of artists who were big in the shoujo horror scene in the 90s, some are hella hella gruesome.

Sullivan’s Syndrome was my favorite. That was one of the less gory ones though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Ytlaya posted:

I just randomly started reading this Radiation House manga - https://manga.fascans.com/manga/radiation-house

It's pretty interesting. It's neat to see a medical manga from the PoV of a radiographer. My dad was a radiographer in a hospital's trauma center when I was growing up, so I heard a lot about some of this stuff and saw a lot of x-rays. He was always extremely strict about stuff like wearing a helmet while biking and never riding a motorcycle, because there were a bunch of terrible injuries stemming from those things (particularly the latter, though the former was the only one directly relevant to me as a kid).

Thanks for recommending this. It's really interesting and the art is appealing. The translation is decent as well.

It's funny how a couple chapters were an extended PSA about how you need to get lots of checks if you happen to have dense boobs...

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Shuumatsu no Valkyrie chapter 12.

Since it's a manga we all knew Lu Bu was going to lose but I'm real sad about watching our dad get smacked.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Hypocrisy posted:

Since it's a manga we all knew Lu Bu was going to lose but I'm real sad about watching our dad get smacked.

Kinda fearing it's gonna turn out to be just the Japanese humans winning their fights. Which would be pretty sad and boring

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

That was really satisfying to read. Adam dying here doesn't hurt as much seeing as it's going to be a banner that everyone can unite under. And he went out like a champ, pummeling Zeus while Blind and not even death stopped his fists. Even the God's can't say anything bad about this fight. Best father, a simple man, just wanted to help his kids. Never once did Zeus put him on his knees :zoro:

UnderFreddy posted:

Kinda fearing it's gonna turn out to be just the Japanese humans winning their fights. Which would be pretty sad and boring

There are only 4 japanese people in the brackets, so even if all 4 of them win there would be 3 other people humanity needs to avoid extinction. Not that I actually expect all 4 japanese representatives to win

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Watch as Jack the Ripper wins a fight, obviously

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Jose posted:

Humans could lose every fight that would be funny

NO!!!!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jose posted:

Humans could lose every fight that would be funny

I'm guessing they'll lose the best of 7 but gain the respect of the gods anyway.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This was oddly satisfying, despite being something of a retread of the previous fight, moving the emotional drives of the people helps.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is dorohedoro actually finished now? i've read bits of it twice but always burned out before reaching the end of the scans due to it not having ended

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
It's actually finished, and the scanlation is complete as well.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
We need to go the distance to see all 13 fights.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

This was oddly satisfying, despite being something of a retread of the previous fight, moving the emotional drives of the people helps.

It wasn't really a retread; Adam actually pushed Zeus hard and came fairly close to winning (since Zeus was almost out of stamina in that form), while Lu Bu got pretty wrecked once Thor took out the hammer, and only managed to inflict a minor cut with his all-out attack.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
After seven months, Hibiki got a 4 page update :negative:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Looking forward to see just how hardcore Valkerie-tan is going to lose her poo poo.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Mindblast posted:

Looking forward to see just how hardcore Valkerie-tan is going to lose her poo poo.

Let's take a look and find out. Eating lovely pies is how.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Salmiah however tastes great. :colbert: I shall dock this manga some points for it's translators terrible taste in candy.

I was expecting Nickola Tesla to go Pokemon on Poseidon.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
New Blue Period.

Surprisingly, the author got things right with Yuka-chan. Do your best, girl :unsmith:

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
The first chapter of Looking Up To Magical Girls, the new manga by the author of Kumika no Mikaku, is out now.

It may not be what you expect.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

DoubleDonut posted:

The first chapter of Looking Up To Magical Girls, the new manga by the author of Kumika no Mikaku, is out now.

It may not be what you expect.

I don't think I enjoy this twist.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, i'm out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

what is the translator going for with ebisu in dorohedoro?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
tragic contrast between suffering and comic relief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I get that. I just mean the actual choice of words. How does it appear in the japanese i guess