Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Frankly, I could see Murray signing off if it's both a good script, and one he doesn't have to be in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Frankly, I could see Murray signing off if it's both a good script, and one he doesn't have to be in.

I remember the RLM review that speculated what Murray mostly wanted for his cameo was to be able to remain seated for it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kemper Boyd posted:

Except for that time he thought the Coen brothers were doing the Garfield movie and he signed on as a voice actor because of that.

Perfect example, he took an easy money gig with no artistic merit to it and somehow spun that into another hilarious Bill Murray legend. Oh that Bill, what a character!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy gently caress!

https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/05/bill-murray-dan-aykroyd-found-ghostbusters-clip/

It's actually finally loving happening:

quote:

GHOSTBUSTERS

6 Rare & Newly Unearthed Deleted Scenes, including the long-requested Fort Detmerring scenes!
Raw takes for the Central Park bums sequence
1984 ShoWest Exhibitor Reel, featuring Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd pitching an early reel of footage to theatrical exhibitors.
Full Ghostbusters TV Commercial from the film
Ghostbusters TV Commercial Outtakes
“A Moment With the Stars” – original press kit featurette
Original Domestic Teaser Trailer
Original Stereo Audio for the Feature (Blu-ray only)
Fan Commentary featuring Troy Benjamin and Chris Stewart (Interdimensional Crossrippodcast),Ashley Victoria Robinson (Geek History Lesson podcast) and Sean Bishop (Ghostbusters prop replica expert), moderated by Ghost Corps’ Eric Reich

GHOSTBUSTERS II

Commentary featuring Director Ivan Reitman, Star/Co-Writer Dan Aykroyd and Executive Producer Joe Medjuck
“The Oprah Winfrey Show: Cast of Ghostbusters II” – June 1989
Full Ghostbusters II Theatrical EPK
Rare Unfinished Teaser Trailer – featuring the full commercial from the film!
Original Stereo Audio for the Feature (Blu-ray only)

I sincerely hope that we get more deleted scenes from GB2 :f5:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Hell yeah! I'm glad I held off on going for the Blu-Ray! Hopefully it's a good 4k transfer

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

God drat it, I am buying Ghostbusters again.

I distinctly remember that Oprah show and Aykroyd complaining that they made him "the fat one" on the cartoon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't even have a blu-ray player, and am now wondering how I could watch this in the cheapest way possible. I literally have no use for one aside from this. :negative:

I mean, those deleted scenes are going to hit youtube almost immediately, so that's cool. The commentaries, though... I definitely want to hear those.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
And a nice looking steelbook too. There's nothing about this release that I don't love.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
But those scenes were supposed to have been lost :aaaaa:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Goddamn, i just bought GB on 4K. Oh well, new extras! :gbsmith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I wonder if it's the GB2 commentary that Aykroyd said he recorded back in 2009.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

Goddamn, i just bought GB on 4K. Oh well, new extras! :gbsmith:

My stupid preferences for packaging saved me on this one because I have the nice combo digi book of the "mastered in 4k" versions of both films from a few years ago, so I was kinda waiting to see if a better UHD might come around at some point(the current one is a very standard plastic case with no additional extras).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mooey Cow posted:

But those scenes were supposed to have been lost :aaaaa:

A couple years ago, Ghostcorps or someone posted old tapes, and in sharpie marker, you can very clearly make out "Fort Detmerring" written along the side of it. At that time, it was 'recently uncovered'.

They knew what they had and kept it until this release :argh:

Violator
May 15, 2003

What the heck is this lost scene about that makes it so important?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Violator posted:

Short answer: Ray gets a blowjob from a ghost.

Long answer: Ray gets a blowjob from a ghost, and there's a bunch of extra stuff that happens. Wasn't originally meant as part of a montage, it's actually where Ray and Winston are driving to when they have their 'Revelations' conversation in the car, and where they're returning from when the firehall goes to hell. Bunch of dialogue about it, but it's one of the more extensive scenes written and filmed and then never used. Mostly everything else was small stuff, like the couple finding slimer in the hotel during their honeymoon, or the bums conversation, though I'm glad to be getting more of the latter with this new release.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I wasn't to see more of the jewelry store they trash with that elaborate trap system in the montage in Ghostbusters 2. That had to be a cut down scene.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I wasn't to see more of the jewelry store they trash with that elaborate trap system in the montage in Ghostbusters 2. That had to be a cut down scene.

The montage is almost exclusively bits from cut scenes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Timby posted:

The montage is almost exclusively bits from cut scenes.

Including possessed Ray driving like nuts, which is the holy grail of gb2 deleted scenes, at least for me.

Should've been kept :argh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I remember it being in the comic adaptation (which had the RGBs in the respective roles).

:ohdear: “Slow down Ray! You’re going to kill somebody!”
:twisted: “No, I’m going to kill everybody!”

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't even have a blu-ray player, and am now wondering how I could watch this in the cheapest way possible. I literally have no use for one aside from this. :negative:

I mean, those deleted scenes are going to hit youtube almost immediately, so that's cool. The commentaries, though... I definitely want to hear those.

Owning physical copies of movies rules

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Not just for Ghostbusters, but I wish deleted scenes and alternate versions were universally available. Even stuff like unfinished special effects. I'd watch the poo poo out of anything like that. Having a writer/director/actor talk about failures in the creative process is really interesting.

Failure the best teacher is.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I remember it being in the comic adaptation (which had the RGBs in the respective roles).

:ohdear: “Slow down Ray! You’re going to kill somebody!”
:twisted: “No, I’m going to kill everybody!”

Someone did a composite of the scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCnvc3UqMoU

I definitely want to hear Dan Aykroyd deliver that line.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

deoju posted:

Not just for Ghostbusters, but I wish deleted scenes and alternate versions were universally available. Even stuff like unfinished special effects. I'd watch the poo poo out of anything like that. Having a writer/director/actor talk about failures in the creative process is really interesting.

Failure the best teacher is.

Cutting scenes isn't really a failure, and scenes aren't usually cut because they're bad as such or because the effects don't work. It's a normal part of the editing process to cut scenes or bits of scenes that turn out to be superfluous, or bring the pacing down or break the flow of the surrounding scenes. You can't really know that until you see the movie coming together, and even then it's an artistic decision what scenes to keep and in what shape.

But I agree, it would be cool if a lot more movies had extensive documentation of their production with deleted scenes and multiple available script revisions, the way Ghostbusters and Star Wars do. Even Ghostbusters is somewhat lacking compared to Star Wars. I'd like to read Aykroyd's fabled enormous original script.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've always wondered why I'm so intensely interested in GB/GB2 deleted scenes, and couldn't really care that much about those from other movies.

I guess I see GB-related scenes as completely different things probably because the first movie is just so engrained not just in the average fan's mind, but society in general. Because of that, discovering footage that's new to us but is just as old as the movie itself is kind of strange. Also, due to the massive popularity of GB over the past 3 decades, these scenes, hinted at years and years ago, build up some sort of mythological status among anyone who pays attention to this stuff.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Violator posted:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Short answer: Ray gets a blowjob from a ghost.

Long answer: Ray gets a blowjob from a ghost, and there's a bunch of extra stuff that happens. Wasn't originally meant as part of a montage, it's actually where Ray and Winston are driving to when they have their 'Revelations' conversation in the car, and where they're returning from when the firehall goes to hell. Bunch of dialogue about it, but it's one of the more extensive scenes written and filmed and then never used. Mostly everything else was small stuff, like the couple finding slimer in the hotel during their honeymoon, or the bums conversation, though I'm glad to be getting more of the latter with this new release.

Longer answer: More Ectomobile, more Winston, more Ghostbusters doing a 'normal' job rather than fighting extradimensional deities.

The Ghostbusters head to an old military fort that is now a tourist attraction. It's just Ray and Winston, which shows how busy the Ghostbusters are: they are dealing with jobs in 2-man teams.

They turn up in the Ecto-1, and there's lots of spooky mist. Originally the car was going to be black, but they changed it to white precisely because both the Segedwick Hotel and this scene were at night. (While the fact that Fort Detmerring was cut from the final film means that they probably needn't have bothered - after the Sedgewick every scene with the car is during the daytime, except for Ray and Winston's revelations conversation.)

Photos of Ray and Winston getting out of the car has been used in loads of Ghostbusters promotional material, even though the scene was cut in the film.

Anyway, Ray and Winston speak to a couple of Park Rangers there, who comment that they called the Ghostbusters weeks ago. Winston says that it's because it's "the busy time of the year".

They go in to find the ghosts. They decide to split up. Winston heads to the old armoury, Ray goes to the officers' barracks. While exploring the Captain's bedroom, Ray is impressed at the painstakingly restored surroundings, and gets some compulsion to try on an old military uniform, which he models in front of a mirror. Then, exhausted (they've been busy all day) he lies down on the bed.

Then there are lights, and mist, and objects rattling. Ray sleeps through it, he just rolls over, onto his back. Then the ghost appears, the sweetheart of the Captain whose uniform Ray is wearing. While presumably the ghost is normally troublesome and scares people, instead it mistakes Ray for her lost love and has sex with him. (Or maybe it doesn't mistake him, maybe she's just lonely. Who knows.) Winston is outside in the corridor, hears noises, asks if Ray's alright. He says "Later, man!" Winston shrugs and walks away.

In the script there was also going to be a scene at the end of the film (maybe during the end credits?) where you see that the sign for Fort Detmerring has been altered to say "Visit the Haunted Fort!", so they've decided to just accept the ghost problems and try to use it to attract tourism. Then Ray turns up, with a bunch of flowers and a bottle of wine, and heads to the Captain's bedroom. So while Peter ends up with Dana, supernatural nerd Ray ends up having a romance with a ghost.

Dunno how much of it was actually filmed, but there's always been a bunch of fans keen to see whatever footage was shot. Not because of ghost blowjob - we've seen that, it's in the montage - but because it's more screentime for Winston, and more screentime for the Ecto-1.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
That scene always seems out of place when I read descriptions of it. Ray is on a job and decides to try on weird clothes and take a nap? I know he’s the manchild one, but it just feels a little zany compared to the rest of the film, nevermind the whole blowjob thing.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Makes me wonder now what the original context was for the scene with the three guys asleep in the fire house that the ghost blowjob dream sequence was inserted into. I don't remember it appearing in the script or being mentioned in The Making Of book.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Payndz posted:

Makes me wonder now what the original context was for the scene with the three guys asleep in the fire house that the ghost blowjob dream sequence was inserted into. I don't remember it appearing in the script or being mentioned in The Making Of book.

Good point. Maybe that part was specifically shot for the montage, and they might've had a clip of a paper headline, or an interview where they mention that they're not getting good sleep from being way too busy.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
I think they filmed it specially. They were slightly short on footage for the montage, and some members of the crew reckoned it was a shame to not use the footage of the blowjob ghost, given that the special effect for it had already been done. So I think they they got the guys to lie on beds on the firehouse set (hardly a lot of time and expense to shoot) so they could then insert the ghost footage as Ray's dream.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm torn between feeling happy for and kind of sad for Robin Shelby. She goes to all of these cons, and yes, she was a part of the production of GB2, but you'd never recognize her; she was the actress who was in the Slimer suit.

And a whole Slimer subplot was cut, which is also kind of confusing to me; so, Slimer, in the cartoon, lives with the guys. Ok, that actually makes sense. It's fine, he's fairly benign, whatever, it's like an ethereal dog (though in that metaphor, the guys are dog catchers). Anyway... if Louis is their main accountant, why the hell is he surprised by Slimer?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Slimer stuff in GB2 is from the film being overly influenced by RGB.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

The Slimer stuff in GB2 is from the film being overly influenced by RGB.

Yeah, I know. That and the changing of the times was also why there are pretty much no cigarettes or instances of smoking in the sequel, either. I get that it's a silly gag to have Louis scared by Slimer and all, but like.... one line could have cleared it up.

I love GB2 mostly out of nostalgia (and it's an ok, legit-funny movie even if you take the franchise history out of consideration), but there's so much that could have been fixed :negative:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/DinosaurDracula/status/1116019774008508420

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh that’s wild. The journalism wilderness of just making poo poo up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Teaser poster has come out.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

drat, they couldn't have tried less to blend that together.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ruddiger posted:

drat, they couldn't have tried less to blend that together.

Seriously, it's like they took the selection tool in Photoshop, selected "Feather," set it 20 px, and then hit Delete a few times.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Teaser poster has come out.

This has to be a fan-made thing and not the genuine poster right? It's literally just a screenshot of the teaser trailer.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Avril Lavigne posted:

This has to be a fan-made thing and not the genuine poster right? It's literally just a screenshot of the teaser trailer.

It does look quickly knocked together, but I think it’s just for licensing purposes, rather than an actual poster.

http://collider.com/ghostbusters-2020-promo-poster/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really wish they would stop making Ghostbusters movies altogether