Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Weapon durability is a dumb argument mainly because the combat in the game is ultimately dull and repetitive especially with armor. Unless forced into a fight, I'd just run away or avoid enemies while doing the exploring which was perfect.

Combat was only ever good with constraints like when you start or in the Master sword challenge. Or ones you give yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014
I think a run without any using seed/shrine/fairy upgrades would probably be really fun. My recent replay I got preoccupied with never using a couple of weapons and also being able to hoard equipment made it get kind of boring. Maybe master mode should've locked you into that instead of being a 1-hit-kill thing.

Golgo13
Jul 27, 2018

A Ring-a-Ding-Ding!

It's a healthy addiction... :sludgepal:
Keep all the best weapons you find mounted on the walls of your house where they belong.

night slime
May 14, 2014
I like to keep the blizzard/meteor/thunder rod there because they're shiny

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I've got 8 shrines that I never found, and soon I'll be able to search for them the way they were meant to be searched for... in VR.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

night slime posted:

The master sword beam is good for preventing mental illness with the Korok targets.

I assumed everyone stasised those acorns until I watched a couple YouTube videos of people bitching about them

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
The only shrine I had to look up the location for was the hidden one underneath the castle and in hindsight yeah I probably should have found it but 119/120 isn't bad

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

night slime posted:

I think a run without any using seed/shrine/fairy upgrades would probably be really fun. My recent replay I got preoccupied with never using a couple of weapons and also being able to hoard equipment made it get kind of boring. Maybe master mode should've locked you into that instead of being a 1-hit-kill thing.

Someone above called the game forgettable. If only. I'd love to play this game fresh.

I was very excited to restart recently. And things are recognizable. It's still great but I'll never get that back. I'm going no towers (I'll climb for vision but I'm not activating them), no teleporting, and no HUD. I didn't start in master mode cause I do feel combat is a bit of a drag but hopefully this way I'll get a bit lost and it'll be hard enough to find fairies that I won't be using them so often.

Not sure if I want to try real hours mode (eating sleeping regularly). Also don't know if ancient horse armor is cheating or not. It might be.

Golgo13
Jul 27, 2018

A Ring-a-Ding-Ding!

It's a healthy addiction... :sludgepal:

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Someone above called the game forgettable. If only. I'd love to play this game fresh.

I was very excited to restart recently. And things are recognizable. It's still great but I'll never get that back. I'm going no towers (I'll climb for vision but I'm not activating them), no teleporting, and no HUD. I didn't start in master mode cause I do feel combat is a bit of a drag but hopefully this way I'll get a bit lost and it'll be hard enough to find fairies that I won't be using them so often.

Not sure if I want to try real hours mode (eating sleeping regularly). Also don't know if ancient horse armor is cheating or not. It might be.

The only self imposed challenge mode of any game I've ever stuck to or enjoyed was the Nuzlocke pokemon challenge, that I found actively improve the game for me as a whole.

Bit of a departure from the subject but I just wanted to bring up :moonrio:

night slime
May 14, 2014
2019 Zelda challenge: Wear the nintendo switch shirt you get at the beginning the entire game

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I think if you bring the AC adapter and the airline has full outlets for you to use you can do that.

I don't think the switch can charge off a USB port if that's what you're asking.

You can. Whether it charges faster than it drains I don't know but I did a 9 hour flight with no battery concerns. If you have a Pro controller you can even use the cable that charges that to charge the Switch

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

oh seriously? that's dope as hell

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

bushisms.txt posted:

Considering you can kill blue hinox's right off the plateau, I'm pretty sure there's not a *high*level fight that really requires many weapons. Unless you wanna fight a lynel. By the time you get to Karikaro, you're already mid tier.

I first left the Plateau by jumping off the waterfall into that lake in the Gerudo region, eventually stumbling onto that Hinox on that one high island.

I hooe another game eventually comes out that captures that thrill of exploring the unknown that BotW did. More games should steal BotW’s climbing mechanics, if nothing else.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also, where’s Nintendogs VR?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

man, I would pay so much for a Mario: Kingdom Battle game.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Why the heck does the OP not have a game recc thing

Any good exclusives come out since last summer?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Breakable weapons owns because sometimes you're fighting a tough character and your final blow is also the one that breaks your weapon and it's really satisfying to see yourself hit a monster so hard with your axe that your axe explodes.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

hadji murad posted:

How does the Switch work when travelling? I have a long rear end plane flight that is multiple times longer than the battery length. Can i charge it on the plane by plugging it in and keep playing it? Just wondering because I see so many power batteries on the switch deals reddit.

I travel a ton and I found that getting a portable battery really helps to smooth things out and for peace of mind. I can squeeze out about six hours of a relatively system intense game like diablo 3 with airplane mode on and low brightness and no sound.

Depending on which airline you're flying, I've found that the usb charger on most airlines won't charge the switch very well. I've found it's a lot easier to just bring a back up battery. I've got one that hangs off the back of the switch that gives me four full charges, and then I've got my other battery for my phone and laptop that's another four. Both cost me around 50 bucks total

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Wait am I gonna be able to play Wolfenstein with the cardboard VR goggle gun?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
can we remake the original Doom in VR with the VR gun?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Golgo13 posted:

The only self imposed challenge mode of any game I've ever stuck to or enjoyed was the Nuzlocke pokemon challenge, that I found actively improve the game for me as a whole.

Bit of a departure from the subject but I just wanted to bring up :moonrio:

Minor sidenote, but if you do that in one of the Let's Go games it makes the "Send to Professor" option seem like a pretty dark euphemism.

"Oh yeah, they've gone away to 'live with the Professor'...." :ohdear:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Crow line is only two syllables

Put me in charge, I will fix our language

While you're at it can you fix the whole lemon and lime being complete opposites in English and Spanish? I'm getting fed up with customers asking me for lemons, then saying "no the green ones" when I bring them to the lemons.

night slime posted:

Picking up fish and mushrooms is the real point of the game. Weapon durability is a distraction

I will never forget my brother and I talking about better ways to get apples from trees then throwing stuff/shooting the apples off.

I then pulled out the bomb.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
Hyrule finally begins recovering 100 years after Ganon trashes it and then here comes Link to strip bomb the entire world for resources.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Why the heck does the OP not have a game recc thing

Because there are too many good loving games on the Nintendo Switch.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Actually it’s because Nintendo Switch has no games.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

True, the Nintendo Switch has ~experiences~.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Strasburgs UCL posted:

Hyrule finally begins recovering 100 years after Ganon trashes it and then here comes Link to strip bomb the entire world for resources.

It all comes back every blood moon. Coal is a renewable resource.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm not usually in a rush to buy console revisions but if Nintendo releases a machine that can run BOTW at 60fps I will throw money at that in a heartbeat.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Augus posted:

I'm not usually in a rush to buy console revisions but if Nintendo releases a machine that can run BOTW at 60fps I will throw money at that in a heartbeat.

Don't worry, they aren't going to

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Does BOTW even run 60 theoretically?

You can’t just make a game run at a higher frame rate

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I am forever grateful for my terrible eyes that have never been able to to discern graphical problems or frame rates. Like, Nintendo tells me Smash and Mario Kart run at 60fps and I believe them but gently caress if I'd know or care otherwise.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

CharlestheHammer posted:

you get a higher frame rate when you run the game docked. Like it would require patching if Nintendo came out with a Switch Plus probably but scalability is literally a core feature of the switch.

Also people can already run the game at 4K 60fps on dolphin.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Look at this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyl7aJ0EAcA

I mean god drat

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

it's capped at 30.
On emulators it's been hacked to reach 60fps and from what I see I've seen it works pretty well with some animation bugs here and there.
but, I mean, they can patch the game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

you get a higher frame rate when you run the game docked.

I don't think this is the case for botw

Augus posted:

it's capped at 30.
On emulators it's been hacked to reach 60fps and from what I see I've seen it works pretty well with some animation bugs here and there.
but, I mean, they can patch the game.

It's Nintendo. They are not going to patch botw for 60fps (and any Switch model will not be strong enough to do that in the first place).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean you can technically make any game run at a higher frame rate but animations and poo poo are usually tied to it so it can cause problems. Like what happened with Dark Souls 2

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Mega64 posted:

I first left the Plateau by jumping off the waterfall into that lake in the Gerudo region, eventually stumbling onto that Hinox on that one high island.

I hooe another game eventually comes out that captures that thrill of exploring the unknown that BotW did. More games should steal BotW’s climbing mechanics, if nothing else.
That's exactly the hinox I'm talking about. I like to do 3 heart no stamina runs wearing only the gerudo veil, so the first thing I do is run straight from the plateau to the dragqueen. That blue hinox is always my first stop. One time, it started raining though, and i was almost hosed, until I used one of his swords to strike him with lightning.

Goty

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 7, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Andrast posted:

I don't think this is the case for botw

it's actually the opposite for botw, the game has a more stable framerate when undocked because of the way undocked mode handles scaling back the graphics.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean you can technically make any game run at a higher frame rate but animations and poo poo are usually tied to it so it can cause problems. Like what happened with Dark Souls 2

dark souls 1 and 2 both eventually got stable 60fps modes when they were ported to stronger consoles and the framerate-related bugs were patched out

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Can't play it on the bus tho :dukedog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Andrast posted:

It's Nintendo. They are not going to patch botw for 60fps (and any Switch model will not be strong enough to do that in the first place).

then that'll save me some money!