Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Since this is the dark souls 2 thread, I'll post the good things about DS2.

- upgrade armor with shards
- cool power stance wielding mechanic
- enemies eventually stop spawning if you clear the stage like 15-20 times
- interesting NG+ and bonfire ascetic
- lighting torches minigame
- best weapon upgrade/infusion system
- branching paths offer choice to the player
- fun to play and smash stuff, varied level design

But the bad things made it bad
- soul memory (this was such a bad idea and can permanently ruin playthroughs, what the hell FROM)
- elevator up to lava zone (don't really care about this, but my immersion)
- iframe stat not really necessary but not a huge problem in most character builds. strange to tie estus drinking speed to this stat
- level designs visually interesting but still not fun to play through in several cases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Asimov posted:

- soul memory (this was such a bad idea and can permanently ruin playthroughs, what the hell FROM)
- iframe stat not really necessary but not a huge problem in most character builds. strange to tie estus drinking speed to this stat
- level designs visually interesting but still not fun to play through in several cases

No uncracked Orbs

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Asimov posted:

Since this is the dark souls 2 thread, I'll post the good things about DS2.

- upgrade armor with shards
- cool power stance wielding mechanic
- enemies eventually stop spawning if you clear the stage like 15-20 times
- interesting NG+ and bonfire ascetic
- lighting torches minigame
- best weapon upgrade/infusion system
- branching paths offer choice to the player
- fun to play and smash stuff, varied level design

As an un-ironic DS2 lover, I totally agree with this. The PvP in 2 was also my favorite. It felt the most "fair" in the series. Can't really put my finger on why though.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I cooped literal thousands (probably? the in-game counter stops at 999:59:59) of hours of Dark Souls 2 with my partner, due to us being temporarily divided by an ocean. It turned out to be a fun way of spending time together in a virtual space. When we got engaged, the ring I got him was based on the Name-Engraved Ring you have to use to coop
DS2 has its faults but it's the most chill game of all Souls

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I never understood why people single out the Iron Keep elevator when the entire game is laid out like that. DS2 takes place across an entire landmass and you're regularly going from one place to another place seemingly many miles away (judging by the world map) just by walking down a passageway. I just took it as an abstract representation of a journey (or a fragmented memory/dream of a journey) as opposed to a literal implication that those things are connected that way. I mean, look at how far Heide's Tower is away from Majula when you look over the water, versus how you actually get here.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's a maymay.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Simply Simon posted:

All the "but there's tools!" posts are missing the original point. In order to use a tool, you need to know the situation you need it for. If you already have a gently caress-off Great Sword equipped when you walk into the room with six greatsword dudes swarming you, of course you're just gonna laugh and cream then. If you're Johnny Ninjaflip with a Falchion walking in there, then you're gonna be the one getting creamed.
I'm not really talking about "what weapon you have equipped", I mean more of recognizing how to maneuver in a tight space, when to counterattack, how to position, and also not being afraid to use consumables.

besides, Johnny Ninjaflip with a falchion is well equipped to deal with moving back and forth in a small space avoiding hits and sneaking in attacks when available. It's often worse to have a big slow weapon if multiple dudes are right on your rear end trying to hit you.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Asimov posted:

I think most of the stuff you said was fine, but IME soul memory has much less actual impact than people think it does, unless you are trying to endlessly invade or get summoned in an early area.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Does soul memory even effect anything if you ignore pvp?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Does soul memory even effect anything if you ignore pvp?

Unless you need to summon a dozen times for every boss or spend hours grinding souls for no reason then no, it will never meaningfully effect your ability to co-op at appropriate levels.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Last thing on DS2 for me, I honestly missed the Lost Sinners Sword for my pyro in 3. That thing in two was my baby, loved it so much.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Simply Simon posted:

All the "but there's tools!" posts are missing the original point. In order to use a tool, you need to know the situation you need it for. If you already have a gently caress-off Great Sword equipped when you walk into the room with six greatsword dudes swarming you, of course you're just gonna laugh and cream then. If you're Johnny Ninjaflip with a Falchion walking in there, then you're gonna be the one getting creamed.

The start of this conversation was "couldn't see the swarm of enemies coming and got murdered, that sucked". Saying "but you can come back with a bigass sword for revenge" is not a counter to that. Neither is "but dying doesn't matter!" because it has already felt bad to the person complaining, and that cannot really be changed.

The problem with this scenario is why are you walking into an unknown room quickly enough to get swarmed and without a plan of escape? You're just highlighting how much variety the game offers. You are offered the option to play aggressively, but you have to accept more deaths, or you can choose to creep slowly with your shield up, and then you're able to handle most surprises without dying.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

feelix posted:

The problem with this scenario is why are you walking into an unknown room quickly enough to get swarmed and without a plan of escape? You're just highlighting how much variety the game offers. You are offered the option to play aggressively, but you have to accept more deaths, or you can choose to creep slowly with your shield up, and then you're able to handle most surprises without dying.

Or ninja flip through it with a "gently caress yeah bro."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

The start of this conversation was "couldn't see the swarm of enemies coming and got murdered, that sucked". Saying "but you can come back with a bigass sword for revenge" is not a counter to that. Neither is "but dying doesn't matter!" because it has already felt bad to the person complaining, and that cannot really be changed.

I've always thought that feeling bad about dying is something you kind of have to get over if you want to enjoy this series. Like that is literally the subtitle of the first game: Prepare To Die.

And yeah, maybe someone with a dinky sword is going to have a harder time, but you're ignoring all the other tools available. Like I said, alluring skulls are made for exactly this situation. There are also a number of ranged attacks available for any character to use (iirc throwing knives are fairly powerful in DS2). You could summon a phantom, Scholar throws NPC summons at you like candy, and there are still plenty of human players. And failing all that, you always have basic situational awareness of knowing where your exits are. Or at least you should have that. I can't think of any encounters where you get ambushed by a ton of dudes that you couldn't see AND your only exit gets blocked off. Maybe the basilisk pit in Shaded Woods? But that's obviously meant to be a trap.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also it's not a very hard room, the other multiple guy ambushes are a lot more difficult

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone ever had trouble with the DS4 mods (like https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/27) when it comes to anticheat and whatnot? If there is one Worst Aspect of the Soul Series it's everything about input on PC.

Life was so much easier with an Xbox controller.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

My gripe for DS2 is that you can parry Lost Sinner but there's no real benefit

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

anothergod posted:

Edit: is smithing with titanite worth it? I feel like titanite is pretty rare and the boost is real low?

Do you mean, like, upgrading you weapons? I believe it doesn't have any use outside of that so go hog wild

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

omg chael crash posted:

Do you mean, like, upgrading you weapons? I believe it doesn't have any use outside of that so go hog wild

Above the edit I was talking about miracle catalysts. Currently large titanite shards are pretty rare and I'm not sure if +1 or 2 pts in mag adjust were worth it. Tbh, I'm not very impressed with any miracles, and it's feeling like a waste of resources.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

DS2 Soul memory bugged me because it's one of the very few ways to permanently damage your character in any of the dark souls games. I realize it doesn't make a huge functional difference in the grand scheme of things but I just dislike the idea that the more you play your character (and die because you suck) the weaker that char will be compared to anyone else summoned.

You could argue that increasing your Soul Level in other games has a similar effect in that you can essentially "level yourself out" of the hot PvP or summoning brackets by gaining too much XP and pouring it in to levels. I just like having a choice in most RPGs and to have a mechanic that the player has literally no control over is a bummer. Plus it is a system that "punishes" failure by making people that have failed play together with people that didn't fail and were able to allocate experience instead of losing it permanently.

It is also un-fun in that you can't spend souls on cool weapons if you're going for an extremely low-level run. In DS1 and DS3 you could hypothetically stay at level 1 and purchase tons of cool loot and stay in a low bracket. You have the choice to not spend your souls and stay at level 1, which gives agency to the player.

All they had to do to fix soul memory is make it souls spent instead of souls gained. I'll leave it at that, very good game overall.

https://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Summon+Range+Calculator
code:
Tier # 	Soul Memory
1 	0 - 9,999
2 	10,000 - 19,999
3 	20,000 - 29,999
4 	30,000 - 39,999
5 	40,000 - 49,999
6 	50,000 - 69,999
7 	70,000 - 89,999
8 	90,000 - 109,999
9 	110,000 - 129,999
10 	130,000 - 149,999
11 	150,000 - 179,999
12 	180,000 - 209,999
13 	210,000 - 239,999
14 	240,000 - 269,999
15 	270,000 - 299,999
16 	300,000 - 349,999
17 	350,000 - 399,999
18 	400,000 - 449,999
19 	450,000 - 499,999
20 	500,000 - 599,999
21 	600,000 - 699,999
22 	700,000 - 799,999
23 	800,000 - 899,999
24 	900,000 - 999,999
25 	1,000,000 - 1,099,999
26 	1,100,000 - 1,199,999
27 	1,200,000 - 1,299,999
28 	1,300,000 - 1,399,999
29 	1,400,000 - 1,499,999
30 	1,500,000 - 1,749,999
31 	1,750,000 - 1,999,999
32 	2,000,000 - 2,249,999
33 	2,250,000 - 2,499,999
34 	2,500,000 - 2,749,999
35 	2,750,000 - 2,999,999
36 	3,000,000 - 4,999,999
37 	5,000,000 - 6,999,999
38 	7,000,000 - 8,999,999
39 	9,000,000 - 11,999,999
40 	12,000,000 - 14,999,999
41 	15,000,000 - 19,999,999
42 	20,000,000 - 29,999,999
43 	30,000,000 - 44,999,999
44 	45,000,000 - 999,999,999

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

That's an awful lot of whining, and the tiers are pretty big so yeah I'll just stop griping at it. Hurts my OCD to have soul memory be higher than souls gained.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The problem with it being "souls spent" is "do you count casting Climax?"

What about bypassing it by having someone drop fully upgraded equipment for you?

And so on, and so on.

There's just no good way to deal with twinking that doesn't kill some PVP spots.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Asimov posted:

That's an awful lot of whining, and the tiers are pretty big so yeah I'll just stop griping at it. Hurts my OCD to have soul memory be higher than souls gained.

I think it's totally rationally irrational to be bothered by soul memory in DS2.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Weren't the animations in ds2 also like really weird and floaty? And the lighting like super bright and desaturated? Kinda messed with the atmosphere it was trying to create

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Honestly what From was trying to do was promote PVP everywhere, instead of just at a few hotspots at certain levels.

It was admirable, but From has a very bad habit of trying to force their players to play in certain ways.

Metacap solved basically all of DS2's PVP problems. Sadly From smacked it down.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Asimov posted:

DS2 Soul memory bugged me because it's one of the very few ways to permanently damage your character in any of the dark souls games. I realize it doesn't make a huge functional difference in the grand scheme of things but I just dislike the idea that the more you play your character (and die because you suck) the weaker that char will be compared to anyone else summoned.

In a curious bit of ludonarrative synchronicity, enlightenment in DS2 comes from abandoning those desires to have a fully-optimised character and accepting your place in a world of constantly changing SM. Meditate by the Iron Keep bridge bonfire on the subject of how you never actually run out of people to fight, and you may yourself become a bodhisattva in due time.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

goblin week posted:

I cooped literal thousands (probably? the in-game counter stops at 999:59:59) of hours of Dark Souls 2 with my partner, due to us being temporarily divided by an ocean. It turned out to be a fun way of spending time together in a virtual space. When we got engaged, the ring I got him was based on the Name-Engraved Ring you have to use to coop
DS2 has its faults but it's the most chill game of all Souls

That's heartwarming as hell. :kiddo:
Good for you.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Paracelsus posted:

In a curious bit of ludonarrative synchronicity, enlightenment in DS2 comes from abandoning those desires to have a fully-optimised character and accepting your place in a world of constantly changing SM. Meditate by the Iron Keep bridge bonfire on the subject of how you never actually run out of people to fight, and you may yourself become a bodhisattva in due time.

Look I get the theme of freedom from attachment. It's one of the reasons I enjoy the game and find it very tao. I'm just saying it's hosed up that you can have negative soul karma attached to your being and there are no methods to purge it. What if your little brother plays your save and messes is up, or you kill a hacker invader and they drop 500,000 exp? Your perfect self is ruined, and the only option is to completely delete your character and then be reborn. There are no lessons or enjoyment that can come from such a process.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Simply Simon posted:

Other people have already talked about this, but “tools” means gameplay skills. Once you you know how to do it, you can win those fights using a big weapon, alluring skulls, the stone ring or making any other changes in your load out. Handling multiple opponents isn’t impossible, it just requires a different and more careful approach. You have to learn a difficult new skill, but I don’t see how that’s different from the basic formula in all the games.

Also, DS2 is the best, though DS1 is a much tightly designed experience and is what I would recommend more strongly to friends. DS3 is an excellent game, but too fast paced and linear, so is ultimately very disappointing compared to 1 and 2.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

man after binging Sekiro for way too many hours it's torturous to get used to souls countering and parrying

at least getting back to gamepad play was relatively painless

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

man after binging Sekiro for way too many hours it's torturous to get used to souls countering and parrying

at least getting back to gamepad play was relatively painless

did you play Sekiro with KB + M?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

morallyobjected posted:

did you play Sekiro with KB + M?

Yep, worked really well. I'm thinking about transitioning to gamepad there too, but I'm on the last boss and it feels like a bit of a project.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Asimov posted:

Look I get the theme of freedom from attachment. It's one of the reasons I enjoy the game and find it very tao. I'm just saying it's hosed up that you can have negative soul karma attached to your being and there are no methods to purge it. What if your little brother plays your save and messes is up, or you kill a hacker invader and they drop 500,000 exp? Your perfect self is ruined, and the only option is to completely delete your character and then be reborn. There are no lessons or enjoyment that can come from such a process.

Truly, the little brother issue would exist in any game where inventory is sellable or deleteable, so it is less a matter of game design and more a matter of explaining to little brothers that your buddha self can bring them enlightenment of the purple nurple.

Also hackers can do way worse to a character than just bump you up a tier in matchmaking, so if that's all that happens count yourself lucky.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
It would be great if respecing when you use a soul vessel would allow you to shed some soul memory. Or if PVP gave you the option of not taking souls without having to use the ring to avoid it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

One of the worst things about Soul Memory is that, in other Souls games, I like to buy all the weapons, spells, armor, etc. to swap around freely, or to wildly change my build with a respec. Losing a few deaths worth of souls is one thing, but do you know how loving expensive it is to buy all those items? Your character will be laughably gimped if you were to pour the millions of souls required into rounding out your inventory. DS2 screams violently at my completionist and die-hard PVP tendancies.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SM ranges are broad enough that you're almost never going to be matched against someone who can massively overpower you. Like if you've got a million SM, then you can gain 100,000 souls before going up a tier. That's plenty of leeway.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Fister Roboto posted:

SM ranges are broad enough that you're almost never going to be matched against someone who can massively overpower you. Like if you've got a million SM, then you can gain 100,000 souls before going up a tier. That's plenty of leeway.

That's just factually untrue lol, 100,000 at a high level is nothing, and SM+agape ring has made twinks insanely OP

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The SM tiers are weird, almost arbitrary. I can’t imagine how they came up with them. There’s more than 40 of them lol.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

feelix posted:

That's just factually untrue lol, 100,000 at a high level is nothing, and SM+agape ring has made twinks insanely OP

Yeah exactly, 100,000 is nothing. If you've got 1 million SM but you lost or misspent 100,000 at some point, you're not going to be "laughably gimped" compared to other people in your tier range.

Maybe agape twinks are OP but I've never run into one anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Do I actually lose anything by doing freak drugs with Joey of Londor or is it all just cosmetic?