Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

For Lexus without aux in, there was a guy that specializes in adding an aux in jack to the front or the back, a tiny push button switch on the front that looks factory, and then he solders the aux in directly to the FM radio part of the circuit. Push the button in and it's a direct input to the head unit, press it again and you have radio again. Probably someone doing that with Porsche head units too?

Yeah, that definitely exists as a service. And also some of the units are easy to jack into the tape deck head for the aux in......not like the full tape you put in with the wire on it that never seems to line up right and often sounds like rear end, just audio right into the where the tape head would normally feed audio into the unit. Then you get a tape blank to throw in there to "activate" your new aux in (which is usually installed somewhere else in the dash, not on the head unit itself).

I've seen that done a lot with older blaus in (very late) 70s/80s porsches to keep the stock look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

For Lexus without aux in, there was a guy that specializes in adding an aux in jack to the front or the back, a tiny push button switch on the front that looks factory, and then he solders the aux in directly to the FM radio part of the circuit. Push the button in and it's a direct input to the head unit, press it again and you have radio again. Probably someone doing that with Porsche head units too?

Yeah this is a solution for 987's, you have to take the head unit out and ship it to them or summat though. I remember looking into it and it was too much hassle/cost

i like Ham
Dec 25, 2006

I'm a big fancy business man. Mind if I check you'r prostate?
So I’ve been waiting for a little while to finally make the plunge and move to a Porsche. First it was paying off my significant other’s student loans, then getting her into a nicer car, then a house, and now a wedding, but we’re finally just about there. The long-term plan is to find something appealing with four doors so that I don’t have to rely on her car being home to cart the dog around, and then park a toy in the garage. Thinking probably a 981 GTS and work my way up to a GT3 over a few years. That said, I do struggle to want to spend $70k on a used cayman, and I kind of just want to pick a cheap one up as a DD for a year or two. I ran across this earlier and I’m likely going to check it out tomorrow; it seems like a good price, but I’m admittedly not crazy well versed in 987.1 pricing.

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ctd/d/austin-2008-porsche-cayman-design/6858304828.html

Thoughts?

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Also from Austin and was looking for Caymans for a couple years.
That seems like a high price for the mileage. Maybe if the IMS bearing was already replaced but I'd be willing to bet it hasn't.

Also that JD motors place, they always have good looking cars but I think they're held together with paperclips and glue. The interiors are always pretty trashed too (I've checked out two cars there and their inventory sits out in the sun off Burnet)

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

An '08 S at that mileage will run around or under 20k, so you could argue it's a bit pricey but in theory that value is in the wheels? Are factory 911S wheels really an option for 987s? I'm not a wheel guy

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Don't buy anything from a place that posts like that.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Motronic posted:

quote:

MUST HAVE PRE-APPROVED AUTO LOAN TO TEST DRIVE

lol

i like Ham
Dec 25, 2006

I almost posted the actual dealership link, but I was on my iPad and feeling lazy, sorry. So yeah, I know JD Motors, and have never exactly been a fan of the place. They always have interesting looking, if often higher mileage, stuff; but I’ve always kind of felt like they were a pretty shady operation. I checked out a 4Runner there a few years ago that was exactly what I expected it to be, and that is not a compliment.

Likely still going to check it out, if only just to get a feel for it. I borrowed a buddy’s 987.2 PDK car for about a week right before he gutted it for track use, and enjoyed it more than I expected to. I compared a 997 C2S PDK to a 981 6 speed around Thanksgiving and ultimately I ended up realizing that I hated the shifter in the Cayman, but that the 997 interior was very underwhelming. So all around I’ve liked every Cayman I’ve driven, figure I should at least consider an old one as a DD.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Agree.

FWIW, Caymans hold their value (ugh) decently well. I essentially sold my 2015 981S for a few k less than what I paid for it, although it seems as if the 981s are finally beginning to drop a bit more than before. I have a feeling people are beginning to hold off on buying toys/selling more.

i like Ham
Dec 25, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Agree.

FWIW, Caymans hold their value (ugh) decently well. I essentially sold my 2015 981S for a few k less than what I paid for it, although it seems as if the 981s are finally beginning to drop a bit more than before. I have a feeling people are beginning to hold off on buying toys/selling more.

Yeah it’s a bit of a blessing and a curse how well those things hold their value. I also fear that you’re correct, I can’t pretend to predict the future, but there is a reason that I feel way more comfortable buying a cheap older cayman and setting the extra $30-40k aside right now.

Congrats on the Spyder, I absolutely love those. My biggest automotive regrets are arguably skipping that and the 1M, when I loved both right from launch.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Hi Porsche thread. After many years of living symptom-free, my family’s congenital porsche obsession has manifested, and it has done so in the worst way. Apparently I now desire a 356 outlaw coupe. I’m not looking to race it, I just want to enjoy the ride.

No, I don’t have the money to order an Emory outlaw. I’ve been vacillating between several other options, all of which I know are terrible. They are:

1. Buy a 356 coupe (yes, some can be acquired for “reasonable” prices) and get some customization done.
2. Buy a replica.
3. Pay a custom chassis maker to build me a rolling chassis, with my choice of suspension and motor, and get a Porsche restorer to do the interior and details.
4. Become much richer quickly.

Here are my conclusions so far:
1. The reality is that I don’t have the time or patience to deal with carbureted engines or a car that rusts whenever it observes a cloud. That makes the first option challenging.
2. Replicas are weird. I’ve already ruled out VW-based replicas. There are a couple of shops that make their own frame and chassis. There does not seem to be a reputable replica maker that will make one with a decent suspension. I know that by default these cars are, uh, not so good, and I find little value in emulating their lousy underpinnings.
3. This seems like an unbounded money pit. It doesn’t look like a well-travelled path except by truly insane people with much more money to burn than I.
4. Outlook not so good.

This is the part where you tell me that I’m an idiot and all of these are terrible ideas. I already know that but go ahead and say it anyway. After that please talk me out of all of these options. Thanks.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

3. This seems like an unbounded money pit. It doesn’t look like a well-travelled path except by truly insane people with much more money to burn than I.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

meatpimp posted:

This is true for every P Car though. I does seem particularly high dollar per actual enjoyment hour ratioed.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Elephanthead posted:

This is true for every P Car though. I does seem particularly high dollar per actual enjoyment hour ratioed.

Nah I put 65K miles on my 987.1, tracked it a good bit, and paid only $16K in depreciation :3:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Elephanthead posted:

In general, yes. However, there are huge differences in what the expenses are in classic versus modern cars. In modern cars there are a lot of well-known trouble points, varying by model. With classics, though, you have a huge chasm of time that brings into question originality, condition, maintenance, repair, damage, etc. It is like buying a late '60s muscle car, only more time has passed. The ones with a full history and that are worth owning are going to cost a fortune, and the ones that are reasonable are going to either be ragged to hell or "restored" by someone looking to make money on the classic Porsche.

I'm not saying there aren't good cars to be had out there, but man, the search would be daunting. And if you just wanted a "driver," the cars in that range would be fine, but will be lacking originality and at that point, you're driving a glorified Karmann Ghia.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Are the 07-08 Caymans suppose to have a "reinforced" ims bearing?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Russian Bear posted:

Are the 07-08 Caymans suppose to have a "reinforced" ims bearing?

Cars made in 2006 to 2008 model years (potentially anything manufactured from 1 January 2005 to the end of the 997.1 model life) received an unserviceable bearing type

Yes

No one can tell you if the one you buy is better or worse off though. Check for metal in the earl.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Why does it have to be a 356? Building an outlaw isn't going to be cheap either way because air cooled chassis but honestly the only reason this is hell is the insistence on the 356 platform

I mention this because isn't the outlaw part the "fun" mentioned in the fun/cost ratio? Don't get me wrong I looooove 356s replica or not but they aren't supposed to be a hoot to drive (relative to similarly outlandish options)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Cars made in 2006 to 2008 model years (potentially anything manufactured from 1 January 2005 to the end of the 997.1 model life) received an unserviceable bearing type

Yes

No one can tell you if the one you buy is better or worse off though. Check for metal in the earl.

Oh poo poo didn't realize it wasn't serviceable. Welp definitely going back to just searching for an 09+.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

thechalkoutline posted:

Why does it have to be a 356? Building an outlaw isn't going to be cheap either way because air cooled chassis but honestly the only reason this is hell is the insistence on the 356 platform

I mention this because isn't the outlaw part the "fun" mentioned in the fun/cost ratio? Don't get me wrong I looooove 356s replica or not but they aren't supposed to be a hoot to drive (relative to similarly outlandish options)

If he wants to maintain that air cooled vibe for a whole lot less you could just go down the Karmann Ghia path...

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM6OD0W9msE

How bloody unlucky does this guy get with his Porches?!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Tomorrow is going to be a good day. :getin:

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Just got back from a few day trip to Germany-Italy and wowsers you can really tell why German cars are the the way they are after a few hundred miles on those roads, espeically riding with the locals. I think we made it from Scheidegg to Milan stopping maybe twice and running balls out the entire rest of the time with a guy that does that route a couple times per week. The locals are absolutely nuts and there'd be hundreds of deaths per day if you suddenly switched places with US drivers.

Made me miss driving the 996 until I got back and spent an hour in gridlock the second we left the airport.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Tomorrow is going to be a good day. :getin:

Merica!

Edit: til the Spyder isn't the ideal car for torrential downpours.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 20, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Residency Evil posted:

Merica!

:ohdear: Godspeed, goon.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Residency Evil posted:

Drive into the slant of the rain and drive faster. Problem solved.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Made it through the storms. Now just stopped in some random BBQ place after driving through some great upstate roads.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

In my 987.1 120kph / 75 mph is about the minimum for driving through bursts of rain with the top down while keeping the cabin dry.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Made it through the storms. Now just stopped in some random BBQ place after driving through some great upstate roads.

If you're ever on I-81 through New York you have to stop at this place:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/pinkies-bbq-binghamton

Honestly the only really great barbecue I've had north of the mason-dixon line.

Car is home!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
They shape their butter into pig heads, nice. Unfortunately they don't have a sign so I can't tell if they have the ultimate pig eating another pig BBQ sign quality rating.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Residency Evil posted:

Car is home!

Shameful lack of pictures.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Car is home!

There's a dinosaur bbq in Syracuse, and I-81 goes right through there. You could have done both!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
No pics of me picking it up in Toronto or taking it across the border, unfortunately. I hit a bunch of traffic/rain in Toronto, which turned into a downpour when I was in New York. There was a tiny bit of excitement when I was taking it through customs and the agents took my responses to mean that I had flown out of the US in to Canada with tens of thousands of dollars and hadn't declared it. :v: Got that cleared up and I was ok.

First, the BBQ spot I mentioned:

Getting home at night:

Putting the top down this morning to go to Home Depot to pick up a new hose so I could wash yesterday's trip off. The top isn't too terrible to get on/off. It took me about 5 minutes the first time to get it on/off, but I'm sure I'll get that down with practice. Put on the clear corners as well.

Washed:

:(

First order of business is to get some Bumper plugs. I might just replace the bumper cover at some point, but there's clear film over it now that's in decent shape (other than some slight yellowing) so I think i'll hold off for now.

The steering is honestly fantastic. Definitely more direct than my old (2015) Cayman, and I can't wait to get this out to some autocross in a few weeks to see how it feels. Guy put brand new Michelin 4Ses on it right before winter, so that's a plus.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Beautiful car. Great choice. Shame about the front license plate rash, tough call on whether to plug or replace, but it's a minor issue, the coolness of the car far overshadows that issue.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Residency Evil posted:

Washed:

:(

First order of business is to get some Bumper plugs. I might just replace the bumper cover at some point, but there's clear film over it now that's in decent shape (other than some slight yellowing) so I think i'll hold off for now.

The steering is honestly fantastic. Definitely more direct than my old (2015) Cayman, and I can't wait to get this out to some autocross in a few weeks to see how it feels. Guy put brand new Michelin 4Ses on it right before winter, so that's a plus.
Great car, congrats. Too bad about the bumper holes. :(

That washed pic looks like the fender/frunk is a slightly different color than the door and back. Is that just a trick of lighting or was it repainted?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Does that Boxster have the short shift kit? If not, that is a #1 must do mod. The stock shifter travel and slop is completely out of sync with the character of the engine, imo.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

slidebite posted:

Great car, congrats. Too bad about the bumper holes. :(

That washed pic looks like the fender/frunk is a slightly different color than the door and back. Is that just a trick of lighting or was it repainted?

It's the clear protection film. I think films are tough on white cars, as they tend to yellow over time unfortunately. Maybe I'll replace it down the road.

kimbo305 posted:

Does that Boxster have the short shift kit? If not, that is a #1 must do mod. The stock shifter travel and slop is completely out of sync with the character of the engine, imo.

It does, and it's pretty great. Honestly it seemed ridiculously short at first, but I've quickly gotten used to it and love it.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

It does, and it's pretty great. Honestly it seemed ridiculously short at first, but I've quickly gotten used to it and love it.

Yep, also without it it doesn't match the rev timing, so like kimbo said its a must

Good job man, LOVE the white! Someone in my office park has a white one just like that, so I've already spent years pining over it and yours can't hurt me.

I never get tired of that soft top flying buttress look.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Bumperplugs came in and look great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

$3200 Cayenne Turbo that's leaking coolant but supposedly ran when last parked?

Looks like it was not kept in great condition (dirty on the inside, cloudy headlights), I'm guessing you're better off with a $9k actually running and clean one from the same year?