Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogenG486SP8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So how would phantom have worked?

Honestly I don’t see him as a replacement for Shadow or Griffon, I think they stay put because otherwise V would need Phantom dodge animations and he’s simply not fluid and small enough for that.

I think Phantom would’ve worked in this game as a series of AoE attacks for V to have, like the special attacks Dante and Nero get when they are in DT. So instead of V just reading his book while Shadow and Griffin and Nightmare do all the work, V can be summon up Phantom to just just set everyone on fire for a big debuff, or have them crawl out of the ground and go push everyone into the corner. Have him work like a series of zoning attacks, to compliment your base summons. Phantom could help corral enemies where you want them to be, he could use his tail to drag them towards V.

I’d rather Phantom worked to give V more things to do, rather than simply work more or less like an inbetween Shadow and Nightmare.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Stance switch for Nightmare maybe? Less damaging, but waaaaay faster.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I love our future of video game VAs saying they're dummy thicc in character. The Hayter one's especially good b/c I imagine Snake's glorious rear end really does clap constantly

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Stance switch for Nightmare maybe? Less damaging, but waaaaay faster.

It would be absolutely insane from a development effort perspective, but a fun idea would be taking your three basic buttons (melee, ranged, and DT), and assign a different demon to each in the customize menu, as if it were weapons for Dante.

So like you could have a Griffon that attacks with fast but weak pecks and claw slashes which would be good for flying enemies but loses the rapidfire projectiles and lightning, or if you set him to DT you could summon a giant DMC1 style Griffon who just does all the DMC1 things but with bigger AOEs and damage. Nightmare in melee form would be just a smaller and faster version of how he is in-game, and projectile version could just be the DMC1 blob with the little laser cannons and stuff. And a ranged Shadow could summon spikes from the ground where enemies are standing.

Hell, if you wanted to, you could easily put Phantom into this too, and take care of that issue people were talking about with having to pull your demons out of a fight for evasion. You could set a 'defensive' demon, with the default being Phantom, who instead of giving side or back dodges, could put up a shield, and maybe have some royal guard elements in there if you block at the right time. And of course he could be switched to a melee or ranged form, where he'd attack with pounces or fireballs or whatnot.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Relatedly, here's a video AMA with Dan Southworth. (:siren: Open spoilers, obviously :siren:)

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Platinum achieved.

The only thing really left to do is Bloody Palace with Nero but legit this time. I will be entering Urizen 2 with 8 Gerberas and I will not be stopped! :black101:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Hearing about how his familiars will also die in one hit in Hell and Hell is pretty much the only thing keeping me from trying that mode out. gently caress that, I'm good at the game, but not that good.

It’s actually not nearly as bad as you think it’ll be. The worst part about V in Heaven and Hell is Nidhogg (way too much poo poo going on).

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
If you're having trouble with Nidhogg on HaH, remember that Shadow's side dodge has enough i-frames to make you functionally invincible if you just spam it, and that Shadow is actually really bad at attacking this particular boss because so much of it is off the ground. It pays to just not even press the Shadow button and to just dodge every so often to keep him near you so you can dodge when you really need to. Just charge Griffon to level 3 and let him loose over and over again; it does a surprising amount of damage, more than enough to take the boss down in a reasonable amount of time, plus it often hits all parts of the boss at once.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Yeah that’s how I did it but often the slight camera changes while dodging would cause me to do the jump back with Griffon, and you know it was that moment Nidhogg was going to attack

Also it’s tortuous watching Nightmare repeatedly punching the spot a vine was 10 seconds ago. Just use the loving laser you rear end in a top hat you don’t have any qualms about it in mission 18. The fact you can’t control him directly really hampers HaH I think.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Got the pc version of dmc HD collection because WHY NOT HAVE THEM ALL INSTALLED AT THE SAME TIME!

Holy poo poo DMC3 is much harder than I remembered, I remember than when I got the PS2 collection, getting to Vergil was very fun and doable.

Just spent a shitload of time against the cerberus and, uh, poo poo, that is harder than pretty much all the bosses in 5 lol.
That being said, right now the thing that is destroying me the most in 5 is floor 70. Playing with Nero. Holy hell, 3 furies are just too much for my current skill. FORTUNATELY warmup exists so I better git gud on it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Luisfe posted:

Got the pc version of dmc HD collection because WHY NOT HAVE THEM ALL INSTALLED AT THE SAME TIME!

Holy poo poo DMC3 is much harder than I remembered, I remember than when I got the PS2 collection, getting to Vergil was very fun and doable.

Just spent a shitload of time against the cerberus and, uh, poo poo, that is harder than pretty much all the bosses in 5 lol.

It cannot be overstated just how powerful it is to have access to all of Dante's Styles at the same time; you have complete zoning and air control, superior melee and ranged abilities, and an on-demand defend

Playing 3 with the Style Switcher mod is the best way to illustrate this point

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Tbh the styles are so much stronger in 3 that just trickster+RG at the same time is almost gamebreaking.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Somebody finally did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH3nbOmUGDY

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Coughing Hobo posted:

It cannot be overstated just how powerful it is to have access to all of Dante's Styles at the same time; you have complete zoning and air control, superior melee and ranged abilities, and an on-demand defend

Playing 3 with the Style Switcher mod is the best way to illustrate this point

Is the style switcher mod available for the HD collection? I remember that it was for the original PC version of 3.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeaaaaaaa

Is he teleporting before enemies are dead to reposition the summons? Never thought of that

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hahahaha gently caress yeah

Luisfe posted:

Is the style switcher mod available for the HD collection? I remember that it was for the original PC version of 3.

It's under a different name, I believe ddmk, but yes

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
DMC HD collection and 4 Special Edition are on sale at GMG if ya need to catch up! https://www.greenmangaming.com/

I'm working through the series, 1 and 2 on normal, up through DMD on 3 and 4, and gonna replay Bayonetta and Zone of the Enders 2 on higher difficulties while I'm at it. ~Character action game spree~ :getin: While also watching the AccountingNightmare LPs for everything for stuff I missed and background info/tips/tricks (:wave: thanks for making em!).

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 8, 2019

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

teh_Broseph posted:

DMC HD collection and 4 Special Edition are on sale at GMG if ya need to catch up! https://www.greenmangaming.com/

Yeah, I was missing the HD collection (have the box set for PS2), so I got it on Saturday from GMG while extremely drunk, at the same time as Sekiro.

DMC is a good series!

Pomp posted:

It's under a different name, I believe ddmk, but yes

Thanks, I will take a look!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://steamforged.com/sfg-news-blog/8-4-2019-devil-may-cry-the-bloody-palace

DMC the Board Game :confuoot:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wait, is he knocking away enemies using the cane? You can do that?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, it's hard to understate how fundamentally different Bloody Palace is for Nero. Dante and V have access to all their tools at any given time, but Nero is limited to a certain number of expendable devil breakers that he must go through in a specific order and that he must destroy in order to change between them. To play him optimally, you don't just have to plan for the next round, you have to plan for the next ten rounds; figure out what enemies you'll be facing, and plan what you're going to use on each group based on what you have available (two of each type at most), what normal moves works best against different enemy types, which breakage moves you should use, and when, and then you have to pick them all up in the correct order (which is the reverse of when you intend to use them) and hope to God you don't break one by accident before you need it. It's some real :psyboom: stuff when you get into it.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Spergatory posted:

Man, it's hard to understate how fundamentally different Bloody Palace is for Nero. Dante and V have access to all their tools at any given time, but Nero is limited to a certain number of expendable devil breakers that he must go through in a specific order and that he must destroy in order to change between them. To play him optimally, you don't just have to plan for the next round, you have to plan for the next ten rounds; figure out what enemies you'll be facing, and plan what you're going to use on each group based on what you have available (two of each type at most), what normal moves works best against different enemy types, which breakage moves you should use, and when, and then you have to pick them all up in the correct order (which is the reverse of when you intend to use them) and hope to God you don't break one by accident before you need it. It's some real :psyboom: stuff when you get into it.

I feel like post game nero should be able to switch arms considering his real arm grows back and nico updates the devil bringers to fit over his now real arm

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Spergatory posted:

Why yes I stocked all the Gerberas and Buster Arms for the final BP boss rush, why'd you ask

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

AkumaHokoru posted:

I feel like post game nero should be able to switch arms considering his real arm grows back and nico updates the devil bringers to fit over his now real arm

Does she? My impression was that Nero could just make his arm go all ghostly and appear and disappear at will, so he just can just keep using the devil breakers she already has.

Anyway if we're posting V combo videos, I feel like this one deserves some consideration. https://youtu.be/YcKFoTLBMOw
I feel like moments like 1:18 are the entire reason Itsuno designed V the way he is.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Spergatory posted:

Does she? My impression was that Nero could just make his arm go all ghostly and appear and disappear at will, so he just can just keep using the devil breakers she already has.

Anyway if we're posting V combo videos, I feel like this one deserves some consideration. https://youtu.be/YcKFoTLBMOw
I feel like moments like 1:18 are the entire reason Itsuno designed V the way he is.

I dont recall him ghostarming.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

AkumaHokoru posted:

Yeah he doesn't he slips a breaker on over his real arm like a glove in the last scene

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Nope, he literally reverses the effect from growing it and turns it into blue energy.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
You all should rewatch the cutscene. His arm does the reverse of the effect it does the first time it appears, vanishing into a blue transparent outline full of swirly lines before he puts on the devil breaker.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

AkumaHokoru posted:

https://youtu.be/_kwrOIg8T20?t=22m46s

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
well...he does in fact ghost arm it. nevermind then

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

... Huh

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The Mandela Effect once again rears its ugly head

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

oh huh weird i did remember that differently. can't wait for the DLC Berenstain Breaker

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
He does it in game too, if you DT his arm fades away into a ghost arm holding the devil breaker suspended

why trish over literally anyone else?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

darealkooky posted:

He does it in game too, if you DT his arm fades away into a ghost arm holding the devil breaker suspended

why trish over literally anyone else?

Trish has been in every single game in the franchise (except the one game we don't talk about) and been playable multiple times. No reason not to.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We don't talk about 3?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Trish was in 2

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah three was the only one she wasn’t in for obvious reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

We don't talk about 3?

.. I am dumb and for some reason thought she had a cameo. Ignore me!

I meant DmC for the record!