Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

GotLag posted:

I find the inserters dropping stuff into splitters more satisfying and aesthetically pleasing, it provides something of a visual anchor for the ends of the belts.

Not instantly, but the nature of splitters means the stack inserter is dropping its load on to two belts at once, so it can do it much quicker.

You know that certain version in .13/4/5/6 when inserting into splitters could cause a crash? Yeah. That's still in my subconscious and as a result I only very rarely insert or extract from splitters.. really should do it more, a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

So if you drop a train blueprint, but a train arrives right as the bots attempt to place the train, then the moving train immediately swaps to manual and copies the ghost's schedule.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I am currently building my base nice and distributed. With all balancing provided by trains. It makes it easy to expand production if I need more. I decided against maximizing belts per station, because it can easily lead to uneven unloading from different wagons in the same train.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

VictualSquid posted:

I am currently building my base nice and distributed. With all balancing provided by trains. It makes it easy to expand production if I need more. I decided against maximizing belts per station, because it can easily lead to uneven unloading from different wagons in the same train.

So you're shipping in copper and iron plates and shipping out green circuits? That's a neat idea. I thought the ratio for copper wire factory to green circuit factory is 2:3. Does that change to 1:1 when using modules/beacons?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

So you're shipping in copper and iron plates and shipping out green circuits? That's a neat idea. I thought the ratio for copper wire factory to green circuit factory is 2:3. Does that change to 1:1 when using modules/beacons?
Something like 9:10 with modules, yes. I don't remember the exact ratio.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Disco Science is my new favourite mod.

It looks amazing at night

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So in .16 I built remote factories for all of the science packs, and because of the quantities of resources needed, I built one factory for red,green,blue, and military, another for utility packs, and another for production packs. Now I'm trying to redo that .17, and overall science needs a lot fewer resources, such that I think I can fit it all into a single remote factory!

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

VictualSquid posted:

Something like 9:10 with modules, yes. I don't remember the exact ratio.

That's good news for me, I'm still wiring up my base after building out 8 lanes of green circuits and I could definitely use 50% more. I designed my green production with 1 iron and 1.5 copper belts so it should be easy enough to rebuild to the proper ratio and haul in some extra iron.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GotLag posted:

Disco Science is my new favourite mod.

It looks amazing at night
I installed it the other day and it's fantastic.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Collateral Damage posted:

Same. Contemplating having a circle of science labs around the base just for the lightshow.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Collateral Damage posted:

But does it have compatibility with https://mods.factorio.com/mod/BigLab

Also unrelated is there a way to have train blueprints default to automatic mode instead of having to turn each on on manually? I feel like populating the train network with trains is the last real part of the train system that can't be automated. I'm going to look at recursive blueprints now that I can make trains with blueprints, but each one still has to be turned on.

EDIT:

Reverend Dr posted:

So if you drop a train blueprint, but a train arrives right as the bots attempt to place the train, then the moving train immediately swaps to manual and copies the ghost's schedule.

I played with this some. Something about the trains being in such close proximity makes the existing train join with part of the ghost train being placed. If you time it right on the end, then a more engines/wagons will get attached to the train and it will coast to a stop with the new pieces attached. So I guess it ends up doing the thing where a ghost will tell an entity its settings and it inherits the ghost

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 6, 2019

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So now that I know about the existence of the productivity screen, I've been busily trying to shore up the obvious weak points, but my lowest science is still at 155/minute whenever nothing is going wrong. Currently purple science is starving for steel and has dropped to 97, so my next project will be to deal with that. I have over 100k space science buffered right now, and I am probably getting it faster than my research labs can eat it, which will be a huge project to fix as it's in the middle of the worst of the spaghetti in my factory (33 labs). I used a racetrack design I found on here and thought was really neat, and it would be very simple to make it larger, except that there's not even enough room around it for a beacon, let alone expanding it.

Today's primary project was enlarging the base to take an area with three huge copper deposits. Since there was also a nice coal and iron deposit right next to them, I set up 6 coal liquefaction plants to make plastic, and I now have a large red circuit facility right there with everything made on-site and then shipping the red circuits to the bus via train.

I wasted so much time after discovering the manual targeting of artillery - artillery is the best radar (which is pretty funny IMO)! I've now got the map exposed out to the edge of my pollution cloud, and I wiped out all the biters in that entire area. I don't think I'll bother with that again, as even when I shot at 5 or 6 huge biter bases at once, none of them even got close enough to damage my walls thanks to the tech of my gun/laser damage, and it ate up a lot of time, although it was fun!

My base is so big it's kind of a pain to manage (although a lot of that is due to the spaghetti nature of it I'm sure), and I'm only doing 155 science/minute. I can't even imagine the planning and time it must take to get one of those 1000/minute or even higher bases going.

I may start a new factory sometime soon with all the lessons I've learned from the first two, and maybe make it not be quite such a mess (unlikely).

Oh, I also got run over and killed by one of my trains today. I was pretty lackadaisical about train safety, as I'd been hit several times by trains near the stations and the power armor took it on the chin without a problem... but apparently there's a lot more energy involved in a collision with a rocket-fuel powered train out where it's at maximum speed vs. the then-coal powered trains near a station... splat... Jogging slowly back to my corpse was painful.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
OK, another problem I'm trying to solve. I've got a supply train, and I'm trying to load it up. I want one train car to hold 12 different cargos, but because of track placement, I can only use 11 chests. So trying to figure out how I can program the inserters to feed two different items. The problem is that they keep grabbing the first item until the train is full, and then just hang out with the full hand over the car, waiting for a spot to open up, so it never grabs the second item out of the chest. Is there some way (that won't involve building an enormous counting computer) to make the hands smarter?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

FISHMANPET posted:

OK, another problem I'm trying to solve. I've got a supply train, and I'm trying to load it up. I want one train car to hold 12 different cargos, but because of track placement, I can only use 11 chests. So trying to figure out how I can program the inserters to feed two different items. The problem is that they keep grabbing the first item until the train is full, and then just hang out with the full hand over the car, waiting for a spot to open up, so it never grabs the second item out of the chest. Is there some way (that won't involve building an enormous counting computer) to make the hands smarter?

The easy way is to set the inserter stack override to 1.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Setting the stack size to one in the inserter interface sometimes works. I haven't tried that in 0.17 though, and it never was fully reliably.

With a few combinators you can read the train contents, invert them, substract them from a constant combinator signal, filter out the positive values and then use the resulting signal to set the inserter filter. Total of 4 combinators. You need to set the combinator to below the item stack size minus the inserter stack size.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
You can lock slots to an item in the train storage like you can with your inventory .

E: Oh I think I misunderstood, you're already doing that but it's an inserter problem. I have no solution

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

The Locator posted:

I have over 100k space science buffered right now, and I am probably getting it faster than my research labs can eat it, which will be a huge project to fix as it's in the middle of the worst of the spaghetti in my factory (33 labs).

Real easy to fix that.

If your space science goes directly into a chest, wire that chest to the inserter that puts in the satellite. Set that inserter's enable condition to be space science < [#] (1000 works for me).

If your space science goes into your logi system, you don't even need the wire. Have the inserter connect to the logi network and set that same condition.

Then I guess burn through that whole buffer. Should solve some of the steel problems you were having with purple science.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Reverend Dr posted:

Real easy to fix that.

If your space science goes directly into a chest, wire that chest to the inserter that puts in the satellite. Set that inserter's enable condition to be space science < [#] (1000 works for me).

If your space science goes into your logi system, you don't even need the wire. Have the inserter connect to the logi network and set that same condition.

Then I guess burn through that whole buffer. Should solve some of the steel problems you were having with purple science.

I don't really consider the space science buffer to be something I need to fix, so much as I need to ramp up everything else to keep up with my rocket launches, and build a new research lab facility!

Interesting idea that I hadn't even considered though. I have two buffer chests (well three really, as I have one right at the silo, but it's empty fairly quickly after each launch after loading the belt) that pull from the belt and then insert back onto the belt so that if the belt backs up then the chest fill up, so I can actually buffer almost 300k science before I have to worry about losing any.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
This is my current science setup. Infinitely expandable, just gotta take out the loop at the end (not pictured) and copy and pasted another few rows, then hook it back up to the loop.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I'm at the 60 hour mark so I decided to implement logistic bots and launch a rocket. It turns out that my base can do a launch every 5 minutes or so, which was a nice surprise. Copper seems to be the bottleneck at the moment.

Are there any guidelines on how many bots that a logistic network should have, or perhaps there's no such thing as too many bots?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I just upgraded to experimental 0.17, and there was an initial rush of various biter attacks, but since then for an hour or two there's been absolutely nothing. What's up with that?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Is there a certain tech that needs to be unlocked to enable train cars and chests to have item-specific slots? I feel like I used to be able to do that, but can’t now. I end up limiting the entire container to the number of slots I need, manually populating them, and then just taking half stacks at a time.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Mithaldu posted:

I just upgraded to experimental 0.17, and there was an initial rush of various biter attacks, but since then for an hour or two there's been absolutely nothing. What's up with that?

You might have a map with biter expansion turned off.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

MrYenko posted:

Is there a certain tech that needs to be unlocked to enable train cars and chests to have item-specific slots? I feel like I used to be able to do that, but can’t now. I end up limiting the entire container to the number of slots I need, manually populating them, and then just taking half stacks at a time.

Middle-clicking isn't giving you the menu?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

MrYenko posted:

Middle click should still filter chests and train cars.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

ZekeNY posted:

You might have a map with biter expansion turned off.

How do i check this?

Also, the implication there seems to be that they're out of range, but it doesn't really look like it:

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
I've reached a point in Seablock now where I'm majorly bottlenecked by Aluminum production (100% of what I produce currently eaten by meager red chip + blue science production) and in general need to rework my ore sorting system again with some newer tech. I decided instead of ripping everything up to extend my bus down 50 tiles or so and basically use them as the input to a new massive island I am constructing which will have a more orderly layout for ores and eventually be the rest of my base hopefully. The problem is I can't decide how to organize things because I keep end up having to redo ore crushing lines to get new byproducts.

Because of this I'm planning to just make giant blocks that produce the 5 main ore chunks and storing them all in a massive warehouse complex. Then I can divide the ore up as needed into different lines and levels of refining to get the various things I need. I also am building it with catalysts in mind this time because I had 0 room to utilize them in my current setup.

Does this plan seem like a good one or should I process the ores first and store them in processed form like bars maybe? My main goal first of all was to produce a shitload of jivolite/rubyte chunks to catalyze to aluminum which I set up first before realizing it would probably be more helpful to instead just have a massive quantity of the base ore and create byproducts on an individual basis from that.

I have blue science automated (extremely slowly...like 5spm but it IS running) and surprisingly didn't have TOO much trouble yet with petrochem. I have just been storing all byproducts which was helpful for sure as I unlock new techs.

Does this seem like a good plan or is there something coming that will throw another wrench into this plan? I'm at about 72 hours in now, starting to have some real trouble figuring out what to work towards next now that blue science is done and figured tripling metal production seemed like a good enough goal for now while I work through blue science. I have the capability to build level 1 bots but haven't really built more than about 20 of each yet because they are SO slow and I didn't want to sink resources into logistic zone expansion yet. I was hoping to get to mk2 bots before I go full tilt into building them.

Scorps fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 8, 2019

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Mithaldu posted:

How do i check this?

Also, the implication there seems to be that they're out of range, but it doesn't really look like it:

If you hover over a spawner it should show you some stats around pollution triggers for that spawner. 0.17 fixed a long-time unknown bug with pollution absortion. It definitely looks like you should be getting attacks, unless it somehow switched to peaceful mode.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

necrotic posted:

If you hover over a spawner it should show you some stats around pollution triggers for that spawner. 0.17 fixed a long-time unknown bug with pollution absortion. It definitely looks like you should be getting attacks, unless it somehow switched to peaceful mode.

Ah, debug was more useful. I can see biter nests are absorbing pollution, but apparently now i'm generating much less pollution. A nest that was on its lonesome in the tile it was on was absorbing one pollution per 3 seconds, requiring 80 to spawn a new biter. Oddly enough now biters also seem to be frozen in a lot of places, that is in places far away they just sit there instead of milling about. And yeah, watching one for a bit now, i even saw it spawn a new one and send it off in a tiny assault group that got immediately slaughtered.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Mithaldu posted:

Ah, debug was more useful. I can see biter nests are absorbing pollution, but apparently now i'm generating much less pollution. A nest that was on its lonesome in the tile it was on was absorbing one pollution per 3 seconds, requiring 80 to spawn a new biter. Oddly enough now biters also seem to be frozen in a lot of places, that is in places far away they just sit there instead of milling about. And yeah, watching one for a bit now, i even saw it spawn a new one and send it off in a tiny assault group that got immediately slaughtered.

One of the old weekly posts from the devs said they majorly reworked pollution production a few times for .17, so it is probably that.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Canuckistan posted:

I'm at the 60 hour mark so I decided to implement logistic bots and launch a rocket. It turns out that my base can do a launch every 5 minutes or so, which was a nice surprise. Copper seems to be the bottleneck at the moment.

Are there any guidelines on how many bots that a logistic network should have, or perhaps there's no such thing as too many bots?

I plan on making a post sometime about my copper woes. I'm having a hard time feeding enough copper into low density structures.

As far as bots go, there are different strategies. You can make bots do all logistics so you no longer need belts or you can use them to supplement a belt based infrastructure and for targeted applications. How many bots you need really depends on how much logistics you use them for and you can mouse over a roboport to see how many bots are busy at any given time. Personally, I like to dump robots into my network 1000 at a time and I've watched videos where people see the game slow down at around 50000.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Couldn't you also use the circuit network and requester chest to ensure that you get a specific number of items in a train car? Maybe I don't understand the question in regards to train car filtering.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I increased my Kovarex processing a while back in order to make nuclear bombs, but then never did because I was bottlenecking my rocket launching on rocket control modules which are also needed for the bombs, so I just sort of forgot about it.

I checked the logistics network last night before logging and I have almost 40,000 U-235.. lol. I also have over 7500 fuel cells with only a single assembler making them and 10 reactors online.

Guess I need to set up the infrastructure to make the other needed components for nuclear bombs and make a bunch of them for the most efficient and satisfying land reclamation!

RVWinkle posted:

I plan on making a post sometime about my copper woes. I'm having a hard time feeding enough copper into low density structures.

As far as bots go, there are different strategies.

I have a really long low density structure assembly line, I feed it with three fully compacted blue belts of copper. I merge the second and third line into the one the assemblers pull from at 1/3 and 2/3 of the way down the line.

On robots, I added them really late, so my factory is very much belt based and I only use logistics boots in very limited locations like fuel cells to/from my nuclear plant, Kovarex processing and a few other low volume spots that it seemed to make more sense or I just couldn't get a belt in. Mostly they are to keep my personal inventory topped up.

I have about 3000 each of logistics and construction bots, but I'm about to set up some assemblers to add more as I expand (the original assemlers were just hacked into an area with the proper ingredients and long ago removed).

I wish there was a way to define a "home area" for the bots, as every time I spend a while on the fringes if the factory setting up a new area, all the bits end up migrating out there and parking in those remote robo ports. It would be nice if they would return to a central defined area after a certain amount of idke time or something so they wouldn't have to cross a huge amount of map when I then do something major in the main factory or worse, in the other side if it.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I haven't played since .15 and I'm loving the game now. The lowering of the insane costs for mid-level science is great, and made the early-mid game much less painful. Also added Bio Industries and about 50 other QOL mods and loving those also(though Bio Industries supply chain feels... difficult).

Edit: Also, anyone have a decent blueprint for getting into blue circuits in the mid game? I will need to build a whole new spot for them because my red circuits barely cover my research as it is.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 8, 2019

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Canuckistan posted:

There’s no such thing as too many bots, but a network that‘s covering too much area wastes a lot of capacity flying empty robots long distances from job to job.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Scorps posted:

I've reached a point in Seablock now where I'm majorly bottlenecked by Aluminum production (100% of what I produce currently eaten by meager red chip + blue science production) and in general need to rework my ore sorting system again with some newer tech. I decided instead of ripping everything up to extend my bus down 50 tiles or so and basically use them as the input to a new massive island I am constructing which will have a more orderly layout for ores and eventually be the rest of my base hopefully. The problem is I can't decide how to organize things because I keep end up having to redo ore crushing lines to get new byproducts.

Because of this I'm planning to just make giant blocks that produce the 5 main ore chunks and storing them all in a massive warehouse complex. Then I can divide the ore up as needed into different lines and levels of refining to get the various things I need. I also am building it with catalysts in mind this time because I had 0 room to utilize them in my current setup.

Does this plan seem like a good one or should I process the ores first and store them in processed form like bars maybe? My main goal first of all was to produce a shitload of jivolite/rubyte chunks to catalyze to aluminum which I set up first before realizing it would probably be more helpful to instead just have a massive quantity of the base ore and create byproducts on an individual basis from that.

I have blue science automated (extremely slowly...like 5spm but it IS running) and surprisingly didn't have TOO much trouble yet with petrochem. I have just been storing all byproducts which was helpful for sure as I unlock new techs.

Does this seem like a good plan or is there something coming that will throw another wrench into this plan? I'm at about 72 hours in now, starting to have some real trouble figuring out what to work towards next now that blue science is done and figured tripling metal production seemed like a good enough goal for now while I work through blue science. I have the capability to build level 1 bots but haven't really built more than about 20 of each yet because they are SO slow and I didn't want to sink resources into logistic zone expansion yet. I was hoping to get to mk2 bots before I go full tilt into building them.

I'm in a similar boat of constantly tearing down and rebuilding my refining setup with new designs I hate just as much afterwards

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Peachfart posted:

I haven't played since .15 and I'm loving the game now. The lowering of the insane costs for mid-level science is great, and made the early-mid game much less painful. Also added Bio Industries and about 50 other QOL mods and loving those also(though Bio Industries supply chain feels... difficult).

Edit: Also, anyone have a decent blueprint for getting into blue circuits in the mid game? I will need to build a whole new spot for them because my red circuits barely cover my research as it is.

Ding ding! Correct. You need new green and red areas soley to support your blue production. If you don't have beacons yet just slap down something to tide you over and revist once you do. Beacons with modules turn blue chips from needing a vast area to just a large area.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

FISHMANPET posted:

This is my current science setup. Infinitely expandable, just gotta take out the loop at the end (not pictured) and copy and pasted another few rows, then hook it back up to the loop.

That's a fantastic lab layout. I really like it! Here's my lab layout. I have 96 labs and I'm using belt weaving to fit all 7 science packs in 2 lanes. This works because red underground belts operate on a different layer from blue undergrounds allowing you to overlap. The requester chests are in place because I tend to pick up science packs when rebuilding and I just auto trash them.

Since this photo, I doubled it by copying and pasting the whole thing, making a single row of 192 labs. This doubling revealed my bottlenecks in yellow science. The issue sits squarely on low density structures and how it will chew up more than 2 belts of copper plates almost instantly. I make low density structures in 3 locations, yellow science, at the rocket site, and in my mall for satellites. None of them can keep up so I plan on making a dedicated low density structure production facility. My rough estimate is that I'll need 16 lanes of copper to fill 4 belts with low density structures.

The Locator posted:

I have a really long low density structure assembly line, I feed it with three fully compacted blue belts of copper. I merge the second and third line into the one the assemblers pull from at 1/3 and 2/3 of the way down the line.

I really should do the math but I have a hard time when adding beacons in the mix. Will 3 belts be enough and how do you beacon it? Here's an example of my production at the rocket site. I'm using belt weaving for the outputs and disregard my rocket control unit production as it's a shameful travesty. You can't see it in this shot because steel is starved but 2 lanes of copper just doesn't cut it. My next big project is to make an offsite steel production facility but after that I'll be focusing on bringing in a huge amount of copper and building a dedicated low density structure line that outputs 4 belts.

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 8, 2019

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mithaldu posted:

How do i check this?

Biter nests used to sink pollution and never spend it. IIRC the save porting they did is let those nests spawn attack biters quickly to get back to stasis. Or else they can always spend pollution quickly on waves if they end up that stacked for some reason I forget exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hooboy, your moving at a good clip. I havent gotten back to mine for a week now.

But as far as the general shape of what youve said so far, I think I get what you're doing. A few general notes: If you are banking byproducts, I feel like you are at the point that you gotta do storage off site. You dont have to centralize it, but the necessity to having it all together aint there yet. But you do have to have a decadent amount of space for voiding and additional hook up space. After the first big sort build you got enough land placing capability to be downright decadent with placing sand.

Convert your old electrolyzers that used to feed into mineral water into landfill engines. It's already mostly there, wouldnt be that many button clicks.

Edit: Using a single roboport you can set up a robo-make-work camp that sets down windmills or solar panels. Producing those items gives a resource sink for the lower plates and electronic circuit boards. It is real baffelling feeling when the rube goldberg machine is filled with just too much iron.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 9, 2019