Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nenonen)
What should the presidential powers be in 2020?
This poll is closed.
UNLIMITED!!!! URKKI 2.0!!!!!! 3 23.08%
Sauli should be allowed to telecast to our homes whenever he pleases, but that should be the limit. 2 15.38%
He should be limited to writing mildly worded letters to HBL and other provincial newspapers. 2 15.38%
None. More power to Sanna & Katri & Maria & Li & Anna-Maja & Jenni! 2 15.38%
Unlimited, but every decision must be subject to a plebiscite. 0 0%
None, but the president's life must be video streamed 24 /7 for the duration of their term, with no censorship. 4 30.77%
Total: 13 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Siivola posted:

"Gee boss I'd like to take the raise but if I did I'd suddenly be thirty grand in debt."

How would you even implement this dumbshit proposal anyway.

Are you suggesting university graduates would refuse to work because they would have to pay back their student loan over a period of years? Because lol.

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Hello green cock-man. I'm a poor, depressed, unemployed student. If the universities had tuition fees, I would most likely not be an university student. People who are not rich and priviledged also want to go to universities.

Hello, you would not have to pay anything until after you are graduated and making lots of money. Good luck on your travails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If only there was a way to like tax the income of people who earn more, maybe we could even have it be progressively higher for people who earn a lot

I guess it's just not possible so we need to have tuition fees with really complicated payment options

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I feel like everyone is really focusing on the wrong thing, so go ahead and tell me next why the Green party in general is terrible.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

doverhog posted:

I feel like everyone is really focusing on the wrong thing, so go ahead and tell me next why the Green party in general is terrible.

Nah their left wing can be ok.

It's just that some colossal idiots keep voting for the green cocks instead

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

doverhog posted:

It's almost as if nobody is saying that the Green party in general is terrible and are saying that someone who says Libera is trying really hard to make the life of poor people easier is either profoundly stupid or lying.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

doverhog posted:

They have totally idiotic policies on nuclear power, and the current generation of green leadership is corporatist puppets. They've made the party one middle-class urbanites can vote for and feel good about being ecological. It's a loving total garbagefest.

not a bot posted:

It's almost as if nobody is saying that the Green party in general is terrible and

I'll say it.

Andrast posted:

Nah their left wing can be ok.

It's just that some colossal idiots keep voting for the green cocks instead

The problem is their left wing got kicked down to the mud of the party over a decade ago, and they're staying there for the time being at least.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 7, 2019

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Nurge posted:

They have totally idiotic policies on nuclear power, and the current generation of green leadership is corporatist puppets. They've made the party one middle-class urbanites can vote for and feel good about being ecological. It's a loving total garbagefest.

I'll say it.

I'll also say it, same reasons.

Plus half their current projects for protecting nature are stupid-rear end corporate greenwashing which have at best questionable long term outcomes and just make the bougies feel like they're doing something.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If we're being real there is no party that is even close on the stuff we need to do to deal with climate change and won't be for a long while (mostly because that stuff is very expensive and not very popular).

Humanity as a collective will only start to do poo poo when are are already really hosed

doverhog
May 31, 2013

not a bot posted:

It's almost as if nobody is saying that the Green party in general is terrible and are saying that someone who says Libera is trying really hard to make the life of poor people easier is either profoundly stupid or lying.

I never said that btw, except in the way that policies that aim for an efficient society, such as shutting down Vake, make for a better society in general, which will help the poor people too.

Kiesiläinen is a pro nuclear green btw.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

doverhog posted:

I never said that btw, except in the way that policies that aim for an efficient society, such as shutting down Vake, make for a better society in general, which will help the poor people too.

Well yeah, cocks are usually pro-nuclear. That is one of their few positive aspects.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

doverhog posted:

Repeat after me. The parliamentary election is about the party, not the individual. His stance doesn't mean a loving thing if Haavisto barks.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Andrast posted:

If we're being real there is no party that is even close on the stuff we need to do to deal with climate change and won't be for a long while (mostly because that stuff is very expensive and not very popular)

Made worse by the nuclear plastic GMO meat crowd, too, which is a real problem for Finnish environmentalism. And all environmentalism, I guess. Climate change requires answers that are profoundly weird and unintuitive because of the sheer scale, and back-to-nature folks don't as a rule understand that we're well beyond that. Or vegans. Don't get me started on the goddamn vegans and their demands for us burning through our topsoil like there's no tomorrow. Which there isn't without that topsoil, so I guess that's points for vegans in the involuntary human extinction movement.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Nurge posted:

Repeat after me. The parliamentary election is about the party, not the individual. His stance doesn't mean a loving thing if Haavisto barks.

How do you think the party official line is formed? Green party is shifting from nuclear is bad, to climate change is bad nucler is ok whatever.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

endlessmonotony posted:

Made worse by the nuclear plastic GMO meat crowd, too, which is a real problem for Finnish environmentalism. And all environmentalism, I guess. Climate change requires answers that are profoundly weird and unintuitive because of the sheer scale, and back-to-nature folks don't as a rule understand that we're well beyond that. Or vegans. Don't get me started on the goddamn vegans and their demands for us burning through our topsoil like there's no tomorrow. Which there isn't without that topsoil, so I guess that's points for vegans in the involuntary human extinction movement.

I'm not really up to date with the topsoil thing. Can you elaborate?

Hajotus Maximus
Feb 19, 2011

doverhog posted:

You sound like a core kok voter. I would also like to add that your recent posts are the Finnpoll threads worst posts in a decade.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

endlessmonotony posted:

Yeah this is the kind of do what works poo poo I want Kiesiläinen in there for.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Hajotus Maximus posted:

You sound like a core kok voter. I would also like to add that your recent posts are the Finnpoll threads worst posts in a decade.

gently caress you too mate. :coolfish:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

doverhog posted:

Are you suggesting university graduates would refuse to work because they would have to pay back their student loan over a period of years? Because lol.
No, I'm suggesting that as written, the proposal would create an incentive to not accept an increase in income (such as a raise or a promotion) that would not cover the loan instalments.

It's called a "kannustinloukku".

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Oh yeah this posting was bad but:

I'll never vote for the Greens, because of their support to the university reforms which put academic education in the shitter, along with Lex Soininvaara, that made things worse for poor young people, along with the utter muppet Haavisto deciding to privatize Caruna. It's a party for morons and centrist liberals.

edit: in addition, i was once drinking bubbly outside the Small Parliament and Antero Vartia walked by me and gave me diarrhea with his wax figure like presence.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

endlessmonotony posted:

This is an important distinction. The reason people like Pentti Linkola despise environmentalism is that it is done from the standpoint of the humans separate from animals. Linkola sees humans as part of nature, thus he supports culling human populations any means possible since he sees us as out of control locusts. Unfortunately(?) Linkola is used as a political nail for opponents of the Greens to hammer on, so the Greens try to steer clear of such eco-fascisms.

One thing I learned from the recent biography is that Linkola managed to get one member of the short-lived Ecological Party to the Parliament 90s, but that public representative was Veltto Virtanen, so that fiddled out quickly.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
The cornerstone of all proper non fake hippie environmentalism is that we need to cut 99% of human population. Otherwise we need to acknowledge that there's a massive portion of human population that must never gain any proper level of welfare and still it might not be enough to keep us going.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
vihreät vittuuntuisivat jo siitä jos heidän jokavuotinen lentomatka trendikkääseen kaupunkiin menee vähäsenkin kalliimmaksi

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

SnowblindFatal posted:

The cornerstone of all proper non fake hippie environmentalism is that we need to cut 99% of human population. Otherwise we need to acknowledge that there's a massive portion of human population that must never gain any proper level of welfare and still it might not be enough to keep us going.
Well we're well on our way to one or both of those right now. :toot:

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
If I ever get to eduskunta I vow to wear a beret at all times in honour of Veltto.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Triple A posted:

vihreät vittuuntuisivat jo siitä jos heidän jokavuotinen lentomatka trendikkääseen kaupunkiin menee vähäsenkin kalliimmaksi

Soininvaara advocates a carbon tax that would make air travel much more expensive.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Andrast posted:

I'm not really up to date with the topsoil thing. Can you elaborate?

Mussels and various other forms of aquatic life, when farmed, will be able to supply us with a substantial chunk of food.

Likewise, maintaining our farming environments requires perennial plants that are good for little other than that and ruminant food. In addition, the ruminant grazing by itself maintains the microfauna which helps a lot.

Both of those require you to just accept that we're not dictating the way nature works from the top, we're part of a complex cycle. Any sort of absolutism about how we manage the system will result in it working inefficiently and as such, require us to turn way more of nature into food production.

The fully vegan alternative would require billions of people to die (because of bees). The more moderate vegan option is still stupid, because the ruminants are key to our topsoil management, and when you accept we need cows or goats anyway, not using the milk they produce would be downright wasteful.

The vegans bringing in statistics that ignore the synergy between necessary maintenance of our farming environments and producing milk and small amounts of grass-fed beef is a constant nuisance that keeps flooding out the much more complex and nuanced truth. Made worse by the fact that their lies then give ammunition to the shits who couldn't give half a gently caress about the environment and just want more meat at all times.

Say goodbye to all red meat that isn't grass-fed and from a ruminant though, that should go to the "extremely high sin tax" list sooner than rather.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

SnowblindFatal posted:

nah just need to kill the richest 1 billion and somehow make the rest be content with sharing what they have now

but really humanity will not stave off the coming biosphere collapse unless some kind of mother earth cult takes over the planet and suddenly social worth is tied to consuming as little as possible

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

doverhog posted:

Kun ollaan jakamassa rajallisia verorahoja, niin yleensä jo valmiiksi hyväosaisten yliopisto-opiskelijoiden, joiden vanhemmat ovat usein heille jo maksaneet valmennuskurssit ja ostaneet yksiöt, ei pitäisi olla eka kohde niille rahoille.

Either an excellent :troll: or a literal idiot. Doesn't make any difference when you go on the ignore list :kheldragar:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
But really guys, we're getting kind of off-topic here. We need to list quality candidates to vote for. Presenting exhibit A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37GPFRsY6j8

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I never knew I could provoke this kind of frenzy here with a simple post.

I was kidding of course, this is the one I actually voted for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4YQ3QyUOpc

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

But really guys, we're getting kind of off-topic here. We need to list quality candidates to vote for. Presenting exhibit A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37GPFRsY6j8

On helvetti niin retiisin näkönen äijä etten voi kuin äänestää. Goodbye Vasurit, hello SKE.

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you

Andrast posted:

Yeah right wing fucks often like to brand themselves as rational people who make hard decisions when needed

This is how I was conned once to vote for kokoomus

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Golden Gate Bride posted:

This is how I was conned once to vote for kokoomus

:guillotine:

OK I know there's a guillotine smiley and gently caress the person who decided it should be something other than :guillotine:

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

:guillotine:

OK I know there's a guillotine smiley and gently caress the person who decided it should be something other than :guillotine:

:thermidor:

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
come on boys don't fight, let's make a compromise

doverhog admits that voting for a libera vampire might not have been the best decision and in return the rest acknowledge that the greens have some good policies

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hosed up.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Herman Merman posted:

come on boys don't fight, let's make a compromise

doverhog admits that voting for a libera vampire might not have been the best decision and in return the rest acknowledge that the greens have some good policies

The Greens have zero good policies that other parties don't also have, without their lovely poo poo policies.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

The Greens have zero good policies that other parties don't also have, without their lovely poo poo policies.

The main green policy is to be in the government as much of the time as possible. Everything else is negotiable.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
Taking think tank proposals at face value as neutral expert opinion is a mistake in any case. There is always a political game going on, what is being put forward is rarely the actual goal. Sometimes radical proposals that are obviously never going to happen in the current political atmosphere are put forward just to get attention and steer debate. Sometimes superficially fair and sensible policy is put forward with the aim of getting the ball rolling, knowing that its real implementation would eventually have to lead to what is really desired.

First, opposition debating against the proposal on its superficial aspects humiliate themselves in public, unable to propose a more reasonable-sounding reform of their own, and onlookers are invited to view them as kalkkeuuneet jarrumiehet, which is a victory on its own. If lucky and the proposal later becomes actual policy, in this case the kannustinloukku would put downward pressure on salaries of more precarious positions that require higher education (hard to avoid with many degrees and exacerbated by gender and so on) as well as massively enlarge the gravy train of state-guaranteed credit opportunities for banks. Then, once the issues become intolerable, solving them opens up an opportunity to start a new political game to evolve the system into an even more socially skewed situation, just like how issues in the sote sector have been used as a blatant trojan horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nurge posted:

The main green policy is to be in the government as much of the time as possible. Everything else is negotiable.

They have nothing on RKP