Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

That’s talking about TVs though not the Apple TV.

Like it’s saying that TVs this year will have AirPlay 2 supper without needing an Apple TV which is cool.
Yeah that was announced a while back. Some brands are doing firmware updates with capable sets, others are coming out with it only on new models. Rokus are getting it too, I forget if Amazon Fire stuff too or if that’s just the upcoming Apple content.

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah, I guess I quoted the wrong paragraph.

They don’t want to risk streaming to devices that aren’t “certified”
Probably more a matter of data collection, like brands and video spec capabilities. The devices themselves should all be certified, cause all the companies they’re partnering with for AirPlay are the big players and likely already have Netflix.

And probably something about wanting you to use their TV interface, which has some obnoxious qualities (I’d guess meant to drive more engagement), which some people avoid by using AirPlay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

Yup.

Reading between the lines it looks like some DRM bullshit

This may have something to do with this change:
Netflix is testing a cheap mobile-only subscription tier in some markets

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MarcusSA posted:

So does the activity app suck for sharing or am I just not seeing something. Like I tried to share my workout stats today and it sent this

I completed a High Intensity Interval Training workout for 1:31 with the Workout app on my #AppleWatch.

But it doesn’t actually show the data just a picture of a ring? And if you save the image it just saves the picture of the ring??

Like I wanted to share this whole screen with the data but you can’t??

Am I missing something or can you just not share workouts like that?

I mean… I don’t want all that information shared to people.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean… I don’t want all that information shared to people.

Well duh but if you specifically share it with someone why not?

Like just sending them a picture of a ring kinda doesn’t say poo poo lol.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

That’s called the “pauper’s proposal”

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

The alpine ilx-107 is dope
How does it compare to the ilx-007? I haven't used wireless CarPlay.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MarcusSA posted:

My bad, I thought that was the automatic challenge mode activity share. With those I definitely don’t want to automatically share all the details to cause there are people I’m in challenges with that I’m not actually friends with (and don’t want them knowing I exercised in 69° (nice) humidity).

But if it’s the one that gets shared when you specifically share them I dunno, I’ve got nothing against that.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

I'm using Windows iTunes 12.9.3.3. and I heard a catchy song on the radio. I, uh, can't seem to find a way to use Windows iTunes to access the store and purchase it. I remember this being an easy option in earlier versions of iTunes. Is it buried under some menu? Did I somehow become a baby boomer who is terrible with any technology made after 1990?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
My current version is 12.9.4.102, and there’s a Store tab right on the main screen.

MarcusSA posted:

Not sure about just the ring, but I’m going to really, seriously doubt they’re going to allow sharing of biometrics. Hell, you can’t even share it with your own iPad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Type anything into the search box and it'll look in the apple store too.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

japtor posted:

...Rokus are getting it too...

Huh, that's good. Guess I'll have to try to work out how to flash my TelstraTV back into a Roku.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

How does it compare to the ilx-007? I haven't used wireless CarPlay.
Wireless CarPlay on the old-107 has turned me into a snob.

I’d like to buy a new car some day but it doesn’t look like any manufacturers support wireless CarPlay. It’s too bad, because I do a lot of city driving and I wouldn’t want to have to take my phone out of my pocket for 5-10 rides around town.

Plus there are a lot of cars with Qi chargers built in. That plus wireless CarPlay would be dope.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Does wireless charging keep up with using Carplay wirelessly? I'd think that it'd burn too much than it could take in, but what do I know?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was waffling on getting Airpods over the last few weeks cause of the price. Finally caved, then couldn't even find a pair (they are strangely hard to find) and decided to hold off. On my way home I tried to grab my earbuds and the cord somehow got stuck in the seat belt connector and the headphones were stuck under the seat. From there my pure rage motivated me to go track down a pair of Airpods immediately.

Ended up getting Gen 1's which was all I could find. I could have just waited 2 days and got the new ones off Amazon but the differences seemed so negligible I was like meh. They seem awesome though. I'm feeling pretty confident that the range on them should suit my work needs. They have a much stronger connection than other wireless headphones I've had. I couldn't even get it to break when I went three floors up or outside. Wish they had some sort of volume control though.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 7, 2019

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
BMW 5 and 7 series have wireless Carplay as well as higher end Audi's.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
You wear headphones while you drive?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Was waffling on getting Airpods over the last few weeks cause of the price. Finally caved, then couldn't even find a pair (they are strangely hard to find) and decided to hold off. On my way home I tried to grab my earbuds and the cord somehow got stuck in the seat belt connector and the headphones were stuck under the seat. From there my pure rage motivated me to go track down a pair of Airpods immediately.

Ended up getting Gen 1's which was all I could find. I could have just waited 2 days and got the new ones off Amazon but the differences seemed so negligible I was like meh. They seem awesome though. I'm feeling pretty confident that the range on them should suit my work needs. They have a much stronger connection than other wireless headphones I've had. I couldn't even get it to break when I went three floors up or outside. Wish they had some sort of volume control though.

You aren't really missing anything going for gen1 over gen2.

And your Apple Watch is your volume control. Don't have an Apple Watch, well let me tell you about the Apple ecosystem...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tuyop posted:

You wear headphones while you drive?

How do you talk on the phone when you drive?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Touché!

I have a car with built-in handsfree.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Sock The Great posted:

3 Series and my Mini have it too

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tuyop posted:

Touché!

I have a car with built-in handsfree.

So do I but holy gently caress the audio quality is garbage. You’d think by now they could figure it out but I haven’t talked to been in a car where it’s not a hot mess.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah if someone calls me I'll pop an earbud in. I can't get the bluetooth setup to work in my car.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Krispy Wafer posted:

You aren't really missing anything going for gen1 over gen2.

None of the differences between v1/2 AirPods are anywhere near noticeable and picking up a v1 model for $129 from a local Costco is the best deal ever.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Sock The Great posted:

I’m hoping this becomes patchable to other cars one day. My car has WiFi and cell chips.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sock The Great posted:

A bunch of Hyundai’s have it too, even the lowly Sonata.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

So do I but holy gently caress the audio quality is garbage. You’d think by now they could figure it out but I haven’t talked to been in a car where it’s not a hot mess.

Go third party with a Car Play head unit. Granted mine is wired, but all my wires are hidden behind trim and the dash. Audio/mic quality for calls is fantastic.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

None of the differences between v1/2 AirPods are anywhere near noticeable and picking up a v1 model for $129 from a local Costco is the best deal ever.

poo poo... I paid full price

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

poo poo... I paid full price

If you paid full price I’d get the v2. If you got a deal on the v1 then yeah.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I mean I already opened them so it pretty much pointless now anyways.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

AirPods are awesome and I hope v3 has 6 hours talk time cause then I’ll upgrade from v1.

I honestly enjoy using my phone again to talk cause I don’t have to press that disgusting screen on my face. gently caress I’m gross.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I mean I already opened them so it pretty much pointless now anyways.

I mean not really a lot of places will take them back. I know the apple store would no questions asked.

Either way its not a huge deal but I would have held out for the v2s personally but you’ll be happy either way.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Unless you threw out all the packaging or bought your AirPods from some seedy dude's van in a Walmart parking lot, I can't really see why any retail establishment wouldn't take them back for return. Not that it's a huge deal, yeah, but may as well get the v2 AirPods if you paid full price. The Bluetooth 5 support might slightly increase the range and battery life, so why not?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Has anyone ever had the issue where you’ll be listening to music through your watch, and you’ll switch to your iPhone (to watch a video or something) and then your AirPods just stop working completely when you try to switch back to listening through your watch? And by completely, I mean they don’t work with the phone anymore either.

Here’s the exact situation:

I was listening to music through my watch and AirPods and I took a video on my phone. When I played the video, it cut the sound from my watch and played the sound from the video, through my phone — I did not manually stop the music from playing through my watch.. When I went back to listening to music through my watch, it wasn’t working. It would stay on whatever second it was on (0:47 of 3:45, for example) and then just give up and pause. When trying to play music through my phone, it will play for a few seconds but I don’t hear anything and then pause itself. If I press play again it will play through the phone speaker before picking up the AirPods signal and then pausing again. Pressing play makes it play for a few seconds with no actual sound, and then pause again. Pressing play makes it play through the phone speaker for a few seconds, and so on.

This has happened in the past and the only thing that fixes it is waiting for an amount of time that I’m not sure of. I just know I’ll try again later and it’ll mysteriously work.

I hope I was able to explain this issue thoroughly enough. I’ve tried forgetting all devices and restarting everything.

iPhone XS
Apple Watch 4
No idea what gen my headphones are but I got them late last year.

Everything is updated.

colachute fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 9, 2019

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

colachute posted:

Has anyone ever had the issue where you’ll be listening to music through your watch, and you’ll switch to your iPhone (to watch a video or something) and then your AirPods just stop working completely when you try to switch back to listening through your watch? And by completely, I mean they don’t work with the phone anymore either.

Here’s the exact situation:

I was listening to music through my watch and AirPods and I took a video on my phone. When I played the video, it cut the sound from my watch and played the sound from the video, through my phone — I did not manually stop the music from playing through my watch.. When I went back to listening to music through my watch, it wasn’t working. It would stay on whatever second it was on (0:47 of 3:45, for example) and then just give up and pause. When trying to play music through my phone, it will play for a few seconds but I don’t hear anything and then pause itself. If I press play again it will play through the phone speaker before picking up the AirPods signal and then pausing again. Pressing play makes it play for a few seconds with no actual sound, and then pause again. Pressing play makes it play through the phone speaker for a few seconds, and so on.

This has happened in the past and the only thing that fixes it is waiting for an amount of time that I’m not sure of. I just know I’ll try again later and it’ll mysteriously work.

I hope I was able to explain this issue thoroughly enough. I’ve tried forgetting all devices and restarting everything.

iPhone XS
Apple Watch 4
No idea what gen my headphones are but I got them late last year.

Everything is updated.

Yes, this started happening to my 1st gen AirPods literally hours after the AirPods 2 were released.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

PowerBeats Pro reviews are coming in and saying they have better audio drivers than the previous PowerBeats which people say are good. Still no news on how many hours of talk-time you get. I'm guessing it's just like v2 AirPods. Would love to use these for gaming. Someone in this thread mentioned that Beats products usually drop in price in a few months?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Housh posted:

PowerBeats Pro reviews are coming in and saying they have better audio drivers than the previous PowerBeats which people say are good. Still no news on how many hours of talk-time you get. I'm guessing it's just like v2 AirPods. Would love to use these for gaming. Someone in this thread mentioned that Beats products usually drop in price in a few months?

Yeah I definitely wouldn’t pay full price for them. You’ll be able to get some refurbished ones for like 50% off in a few months.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is it possible to always show the contents of Notification Center on the lock screen, similar to Android? I often can’t immediately respond to messages and other notifications I receive and rely on being able to return to the lock screen to review missed ones.

So long as I don’t unlock my phone, I can turn the screen on and off to review my current collection of notifications. However, the moment I unlock my phone to do anything, the notifications I just saw on the lock screen disappear to the Notification Center. I’d be super pleased if I can keep these notifications on the lock screen instead of having to remember to swipe down from the top left of the screen after unlocking my phone.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
The Notification Center and lock screen are functionally identical. If I’m reading your post right, try scrolling up in the Notification Center to see older things that haven’t been acted on yet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ManSedan posted:

The Notification Center and lock screen are functionally identical. If I’m reading your post right, try scrolling up in the Notification Center to see older things that haven’t been acted on yet.

Well kinda. I see what he’s saying and I just tested it. Like if you get a text and unlock your phone without opening the messages app the text stays on the lock screen. If you open the messages app though it clears the notification even if you don’t read the texts.

I’m going to guess that’s kinda what he means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

ManSedan posted:

MarcusSA posted:

Well kinda. I see what he's saying and I just tested it. Like if you get a text and unlock your phone without opening the messages app the text stays on the lock screen. If you open the messages app though it clears the notification even if you don't read the texts.

I'm going to guess that's kinda what he means.
I just tested it out myself after reading your replies. What prompted my question was the following:

1. Turn on screen, see notifications on lock screen
2. Swipe up to unlock and go to the home screen
3. Immediately press the power button to turn off the screen
4. Turn the screen back on and observe no visible notifications

The notifications that disappear from the locked screen due to the above are still in Notification Center, just not visible anymore on the Lock Screen. Fortunately ManSedan's suggestion to swipe up from anywhere on the Lock Screen does indeed bring up all of the notifications in the Notification Center, below the clock. I suppose this new knowledge will serve as a consolation prize to how quickly iOS seems to want to maintain a pristine Lock Screen.