Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Only catching up now but speaking of liveries a couple pages ago.
Checkout Aer Linguses new paint scheme. Apparently it' didn't go down so well at the revealing party. Something about looking more modern.

Old.

New

:frog:

I can see why it went over poorly. Yuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rickety Cricket posted:

I can see why it went over poorly. Yuck

Nobody likes their second kit as much as the home one.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
That AL livery is dull as dirt, jesus.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've got a stunning new idea for a livery. I call it "white, with some letters on."

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

I've got a stunning new idea for a livery. I call it "white, with some letters on."

“This way, we can swap leased tails in and out with a single session in the paint booth!”

-Some beancounter

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
All white, with black letters in Impact font as follows: "THIS IS AN AIRPLANE, WE FLY YOU GOOD"

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

PT6A posted:

All white, with black letters in Impact font as follows: "THIS IS AN AIRPLANE, WE FLY YOU GOOD"

Far too many letters, not cost effective

"AIRLINE"

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Spirit stole the No Name brand livery.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
^^^ nope, wrong font

PT6A posted:

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

^^^ nope, wrong font
It's very close though. You could say they stole it... in Spirit. :downsrim:

Perfect! Better than the slapshod version I made in Paint.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Could also do it like plain packaging for cigarettes, in a hideous poo poo-brown colour.

AIRLINE - 179 SEATS

MCAS KILLS

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
One of my previous airlines had giant sticker letters for the tail numbers on a few of their planes, let me see if I can find pics.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

quote:

So even some of the people who have worked on Boeing’s new 737 MAX airplane were baffled to learn that the company had designed an automated safety system that abandoned the principles of component redundancy, ultimately entrusting the automated decision-making to just one sensor — a type of sensor that was known to fail. Boeing’s rival, Airbus, has typically depended on three such sensors.

“A single point of failure is an absolute no-no,” said one former Boeing engineer who worked on the MAX, who requested anonymity to speak frankly about the program in an interview with The Seattle Times. “That is just a huge system engineering oversight. To just have missed it, I can’t imagine how.”

So one faulty sensor with zero redundancy can change the pitch and this sensor appears to fail pretty regularly.

Goddamn I would feel like such a tremendous piece of poo poo if I initially dismissed this story as "third world airlines hurrrr"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I had to explain to one of my least favourite students in my ground school class that, no, just because the problem is being "solved" with a software fix, doesn't mean the AoA sensors weren't responsible in the first place. She was really quite insistent.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous and frustrating thing.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Dunning-Kruger is real

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

PT6A posted:

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous and frustrating thing.

Especially when it gets the American news treatment. Resources claim the engineer was a liberal!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Dunning-Kruger is real

Other hits include:

Arguing with me that our runways are aligned with magnetic north/south/east/west because we use magnetic headings in the Southern Domestic Airspace (this is not true; they are aligned with true north/south/east/west at our airport, and numbered based on their magnetic heading) and also arguing that the plane must be in equilibrium to set the heading indicator (which is not true, provided you are setting it based on something like runway heading instead of the magnetic compass).

I have no problem with students challenging me when my knowledge is incomplete or wrong, but it's really quite frustrating when they're doing it when I'm correct.

EDIT: Frankly, we should not let PPL students who haven't got their license yet attend CPL ground school, you end up getting a lot of really enthusiastic students who nonetheless are unable to tell their rear end from a hole in the ground.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 3, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Boeing engineer on flawed software that led to fatal crash: "this is an absolute no-no"

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: wrong thread.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

My buddy just made it back from his excellent adventure across the US and back, and he says the following things:

1) American ATC is awesome
2) American FBOs are awesome
3) Apparently the aggravation he had at KAPA was less to do with the airport, which was good, and more to do with having to divert around a bunch of storms on the way from OKC and getting hangry after a 5 hours in a 172 :v:

49.1 hours PIC cross country (minus a short sightseeing flight in Orlando, which doesn't count I guess), nearly doubling the 70 total hours he had when he left!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PT6A posted:

All you need is the reg and a reference to the operator somewhere on the exterior, right?

Just paint it all white and put a tiny decal near the boarding door.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CBJSprague24 posted:

All you need is the reg and a reference to the operator somewhere on the exterior, right?

Just paint it all white and put a tiny decal near the boarding door.

My old company didn’t even bother to paint them. Just whatever colors with a company logo and some slapped on numbers.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Move all livery to the undercarriage, sell fuselage and tail space for advertisement/sponsors. Fly in the WonderbreadTM plane!

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/5793877/Preliminary-Report-B737-800MAX-Ethiopia.pdf

Summary by quotations:

quote:

At 05:40:35, the First-Officer called out “stab trim cut-out” two times. Captain agreed and FirstOfficer confirmed stab trim cut-out.

At 05:40:41, approximately five seconds after the end of the ANU stabilizer motion, a third instance
of AND automatic trim command occurred without any corresponding motion of the stabilizer,
which is consistent with the stabilizer trim cutout switches were in the ‘’cutout’’ position

At 05:41:46, the Captain asked the First-Officer if the trim is functional. The First-Officer has replied
that the trim was not working and asked if he could try it manually. The Captain told him to try. At
05:41:54, the First-Officer replied that it is not working

At 05:43:20, approximately five seconds after the last manual electric trim input, an AND automatic
trim command occurred and the stabilizer moved in the AND direction from 2.3 to 1.0 unit in
approximately 5 seconds. The aircraft began pitching nose down. Additional simultaneous aft
column force was applied, but the nose down pitch continues, eventually reaching 40° nose down.
The stabilizer position varied between 1.1 and 0.8 units for the remainder of the recording

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Look at the telemetry on page 26. The instant the WOW sensor shows they're airborne the left AoA sensor reads 75 degrees (max) and the stick shaker comes on. It doesn't go off until they're in the terminal dive.

If you look at the "manual" trim data at around 5:40:40s the trim position stops responding to the manual command several seconds and then the FO gives up. Thats terrifying.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

hobbesmaster posted:

If you look at the "manual" trim data at around 5:40:40s the trim position stops responding to the manual command several seconds and then the FO gives up. Thats terrifying.

I don't see that. The end of change of trim corresponds with the end of the manual up trim input.

It's kinda distorted by the idiotic graph using ramp-up and -down slopes for all the on/off discrete values, though.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 5, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vessbot posted:

I don't see that. The end of change of trim corresponds with the end of the manual up trim input.

It's kinda distorted by the idiotic graph using ramp-up and -then slopes for all the on/off discrete values, though.

I'm now on a PC and pulled it into paint and you are indeed correct. That must be when they hit the cutout switches, the next automatic pitch command doesn't do anything. Later there are 2 manual electric trim commands that don't do anything followed by the automatic trim that puts them into the final dive. I guess its possible they switched the cutout switches back to normal but you'd think that if they did that both pilots would be holding electric trim to full ANU.

edit: actually the manual pitch did do something:

quote:

At 05:43:11, about 32 seconds before the end of the recording, at approximately 13,4002 ft, two
momentary manual electric trim inputs are recorded in the ANU direction. The stabilizer moved in
the ANU direction from 2.1 units to 2.3 units.
At 05:43:20, approximately five seconds after the last manual electric trim input, an AND automatic
trim command occurred and the stabilizer moved in the AND direction from 2.3 to 1.0 unit in
approximately 5 seconds. The aircraft began pitching nose down. Additional simultaneous aft
column force was applied, but the nose down pitch continues, eventually reaching 40° nose down.
The stabilizer position varied between 1.1 and 0.8 units for the remainder of the recording

So he either turned off the cutoff to try and move the stabilizer or the cutoff didn't do anything?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 5, 2019

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

hobbesmaster posted:

Later there are 2 manual electric trim commands that don't do anything

They did move the trim. It's very hard to see, but if you shrink the graphic a lot on the X axis only (or look at your iPad sideways, which is what I did) you'll see it.

Edit: and the narrative says ("At 05:43:11 ...") that it moved from 2.1 to 2.3 units.

quote:

followed by the automatic trim that puts them into the final dive. I guess its possible they switched the cutout switches back to normal but you'd think that if they did that both pilots would be holding electric trim to full ANU.

Yeah you'd think that, same as for the Lion Air FO who did the same thing. Tiny blips on the trim allowed the MCAS to ratchet the trim full down over a few cycles, after the Captain had gone through like 20 cycles of undoing the MCAS trim fully, and maintained an overall stable condition for a few minutes.

I'd chalk it up to being cowed by the severity of the situation, acting through the veil of task/information overload, and reverting to physical habit (tiny blips on the trim, which is, I think, how most people fly most of the time)

vessbot fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 5, 2019

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Only catching up now but speaking of liveries a couple pages ago.
Checkout Aer Linguses new paint scheme. Apparently it' didn't go down so well at the revealing party. Something about looking more modern.

Old.

New

:frog:
I heard there wasn't room in the bath-rooms for Aer Lingus anymore.

I'll uh.... show myself out.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

PT6A posted:

EDIT: Frankly, we should not let PPL students who haven't got their license yet attend CPL ground school, you end up getting a lot of really enthusiastic students who nonetheless are unable to tell their rear end from a hole in the ground.

This is an amazing bit of new information for me. How prevalent is this in the industry? I can't think of any other risk-inducing activity such as: skydiving, scuba-diving, kayaking, or hell a CDL truck driving school that would allow people to learn to run before they can walk. Most of those are self-regulated industries as well. It seems insane to allow bring people up to that speed that quickly. How the hell are they going to retain some facts about commercial operations when they can barely operate a plane?

I can see the advantage of picking up a Ground Instructor cert if someone isn't able to fly anymore or if they are stuck on a sport pilot certified flight instructor and want to help out as well as learn more. But, some sort of license and minimum hours should be required before starting. Knowledge and experience are vastly different items.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Entone posted:

This is an amazing bit of new information for me. How prevalent is this in the industry? I can't think of any other risk-inducing activity such as: skydiving, scuba-diving, kayaking, or hell a CDL truck driving school that would allow people to learn to run before they can walk. Most of those are self-regulated industries as well. It seems insane to allow bring people up to that speed that quickly. How the hell are they going to retain some facts about commercial operations when they can barely operate a plane?

I can see the advantage of picking up a Ground Instructor cert if someone isn't able to fly anymore or if they are stuck on a sport pilot certified flight instructor and want to help out as well as learn more. But, some sort of license and minimum hours should be required before starting. Knowledge and experience are vastly different items.

I'm not sure how prevalent it is, but it sure seems like a poo poo idea to me both in theory and also in practice.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019
Since I'm flying out to LA from Europe later this year I decided that watching every single episode of Air Crash Investigation (Mayday for those of you in NA) would be a splendid idea. Observations so far;

1. Airlines didn't give a poo poo about maintenance in the 80's and either worked their mechanics half to death or told them to refit a plane with 10 dollars and some duct tape. More episodes ended with "the airline and/or manufacturer was directly responsible" than anything else in the first three seasons.

2. Many of the standard safety features on commercial airplanes these days, like lights along the ails leading to emergency exits, are the direct result of deadly crashes.

3. I am never taking off my seat belt ever again when I'm in my seat.

4. The US Airforce didn't have black boxes on their passenger/cargo planes until a crash in Croatia in the mid 90's.

5. Don't inflate your loving life vest inside the plane, you idiot.

6. The human body can take an insane amount of punishment. Survivors have been pulled from water and mountain crashes that happened at insane speeds that broke up the plane into several pieces.

7. There's only enough oxygen in those little emergency masks that drop down for 12 minutes. After that you're poo poo out of luck.

8. If you're a pilot and TCAS tells you to do something you loving do it.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

TigerXtrm posted:

1. Airlines didn't give a poo poo about maintenance in the 80's and either worked their mechanics half to death or told them to refit a plane with 10 dollars and some duct tape. More episodes ended with "the airline and/or manufacturer was directly responsible" than anything else in the first three seasons.

Yeah, manufacturers are much better now. Can you imagine what would happen if boeing released a modern airliner that randomly nose dived into the ground, or put a battery charger on a long distance airliner that repeatedly caught on fire?

TigerXtrm posted:

2. Many of the standard safety features on commercial airplanes these days, like lights along the ails leading to emergency exits, are the direct result of deadly crashes.

So are most of the rules. Capt. Renslow did more for aviation safety than Capt Sully.

TigerXtrm posted:

3. I am never taking off my seat belt ever again when I'm in my seat.

Good. We only make a PA telling you to do exactly that like 5 times per flight.

TigerXtrm posted:

6. The human body can take an insane amount of punishment. Survivors have been pulled from water and mountain crashes that happened at insane speeds that broke up the plane into several pieces.

"insane speed" crashes usually involve a post crash fire. Being on fire is not a thing the human body handles well.

TigerXtrm posted:

7. There's only enough oxygen in those little emergency masks that drop down for 12 minutes. After that you're poo poo out of luck.

The masks the pilots wear are a different type. You'll pass out long before we do. Also, you only have a few seconds to put your mask on before you lose enough o2 to become non functional. Depressurization isn't the same as holding your breath.

TigerXtrm posted:

8. If you're a pilot and TCAS tells you to do something you loving do it.

Unless it tells you to dive towards the ground at 2,000+ fpm because southwest was going too fast to intercept the loc and overshot.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

KodiakRS posted:

The masks the pilots wear are a different type.

Obviously. How much air do the pilots have available to them compared to the passengers?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KodiakRS posted:

So are most of the rules. Capt. Renslow did more for aviation safety than Capt Sully.

I had not heard of this particular accident so I looked it up

quote:

The airspeed continued to slow to 135 knots. Six seconds later, the aircraft's stick shaker activated, warning of an impending stall as the speed continued to slow to 131 knots. The captain responded by abruptly pulling back on the control column, followed by increasing thrust to 75% power, instead of lowering the nose and applying full power, which was the proper stall recovery technique. That improper action pitched the nose up even further, increasing both the g-load and the stall speed. The stick pusher activated, but the captain overrode the stick pusher and continued pulling back on the control column. The first officer retracted the flaps without consulting the captain, making recovery even more difficult. In its final moments, the aircraft pitched up 31 degrees, then pitched down 25 degrees, then rolled left 46 degrees and snapped back to the right at 105 degrees. The crew made no emergency declaration as they rapidly lost altitude and crashed into a private home at 6038 Long Street, about 5 miles from the end of the runway

:psypop:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

TigerXtrm posted:

Obviously. How much air do the pilots have available to them compared to the passengers?

It depends on how big of an O2 bottle is fitted to the airplane, and how the masks are used.

If we run our masks on "emergency" (which dumps 100% O2 at a constant rate into the mask), it'll empty the bottle in maybe 20-30 minutes, but if the masks are running one one of the demand modes, the bottle is good for a couple hours.

The FAA requires that we have enough oxygen for two hours, based on a 10 minute descent from the maximum certified altitude of the airplane to 10,000ft, then an additional 110 minutes at that altitude.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

TigerXtrm posted:

The dixie-cup oxygen masks are designed only to keep passengers alive during an emergency descent - not awake, alert or functional. It's probably best for the crew if you aren't awake for the experience, anyway.

The crew masks in my aircraft (Falcon 7X) deliver oxygen at a rate depending on the ambient cabin altitude (in the NORMAL position). If at low cabin alt, there isn't much if any oxygen being delivered. As you go up in cabin alt, the concentration of oxygen is increased until about 30,000ft, where 100% oxygen at positive pressure is delivered. To keep the crew awake, alert and functional.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How’s the 7X? I’ve become a Dassault fan since jumping on the 50EX and those look pretty fun.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Airliners should use LOX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

How’s the 7X? I’ve become a Dassault fan since jumping on the 50EX and those look pretty fun.

Toady's a bad day to ask me. I had a air return for a generator bearing failure (turned out to be a bad sensor after dicking around with Dassault maintenance for two hours - got the gen replaced) during a flight with the principal on board. Usually it's a great aircraft. We've had a lot of luck with my ~250 serial number, though some of the earlier models I've flown in the past nine years had some annoying loving issues. Once Dassault got into the -4, -5 and -6 parts numbers they tended to be pretty "robust". Hand flying is a treat. Pretty much just think about it and there it goes. If you get tired of that, the flight director is stupid simple and the autopilot is great - with the exception of the standard Dassault problem with too little gain in the motion of the autothrottles. They WILL let you get slow on final and generate a massively embarrassing "INCREASE SPEED!! INCREASE SPEED!! INCREASE SPEED!! aural warning the boss can easily hear in the super-quiet cabin.

MrYenko posted:

Airliners should use LOX.

The same guy who dumps the lav would be tasked with filling the LOX tank, so I'm not on board with this.