Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why doesn't Bucaretti solve all their fights like this? He could just make a zipper pitfall trap into oblivion and keep all his enemies there.

It doesn't work like that. The "portals" connect the two separate pieces, they do not lead anywhere.

e: And that time he hid inside a person doesn't count! Yeah.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Not gonna lie, I'm kinda frustrated that we're missing so many cool little comedic moments. I haven't read the manga yet, but were previous parts also like this? Have only started watching recently, so I missed all the discussion around them. While I'm sure some scenes were skipped, here it feels like they are trying to cut more lighthearted moments that anime really lacks. Especially now, considering we got constant tension in form of Zombie Buccelatti, who might just loving die any second.
Also, I enjoy that in quite a few group shots we see Abbacchio acting like a jealous dickhead, staying close to Bruno (sometimes in provocative poses) and kinda away from everyone else. Actually, that would be probably the only rational explanation to him trying to make Giorno drink his piss.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
e: double post

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

trucutru posted:

It doesn't work like that. The "portals" connect the two separate pieces, they do not lead anywhere.

e: And that time he hid inside a person doesn't count! Yeah.

The portal led somewhere else. He does appear to be capable of linking portals.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Expect My Mom posted:

it super wasn't

it made a sexy dio pinup the first time it was ever used that was useless by itself

consider the following: hermit purple gave Joseph a hint at DIO’s location that only Star Platinum could decipher. And without Star Platinum, they never would’ve beaten DIO. So Hermit Purple gave Joseph a key to going after DIO that would only be usable when he was actually ready to go after DIO . Not so useless now, was it?

tho it can also apparently make spirit photos out of dirt so there was absolutely no need for Joseph to be smashing $300 cameras or television sets.

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 7, 2019

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

ChaseSP posted:

Hermit Purple was always pretty drat accurate aside from finding Kira who intentionally kept as blended in as possible to live his perfect life.

It gives incredibly relevant details as long as you don't do something dumb like channel it by karate chopping a camera

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xand_Man posted:

It gives incredibly relevant details as long as you don't do something dumb like channel it by karate chopping a camera

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Augus posted:

tho it can also apparently make spirit photos out of dirt so there was absolutely no need for Joseph to be smashing $300 cameras or television sets.

Also, DIO made a spirit photo without destroying the camera, so either Joseph just never tried not breaking the camera or he thinks it’s cool to smash it.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It’s 100% both

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Vookatos posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda frustrated that we're missing so many cool little comedic moments. I haven't read the manga yet, but were previous parts also like this? Have only started watching recently, so I missed all the discussion around them. While I'm sure some scenes were skipped, here it feels like they are trying to cut more lighthearted moments that anime really lacks. Especially now, considering we got constant tension in form of Zombie Buccelatti, who might just loving die any second.
Also, I enjoy that in quite a few group shots we see Abbacchio acting like a jealous dickhead, staying close to Bruno (sometimes in provocative poses) and kinda away from everyone else. Actually, that would be probably the only rational explanation to him trying to make Giorno drink his piss.

There's like this convergence of details that makes it destined for Abbacchio to just loving despise Giorno and this is one of those things. He gets super mad and offended when Buccellati's like, "ABBACCHIO SHUT UP...GIORNO, WHAT DO YOUR ELF EYES SEE??" when they're fighting Soft Machine. After that, he keeps blowing up on him, Man in the Mirror happens, he kinda gives up when Giorno says some outlandish idea but it'll probably work so whatever, then he blows up again on the boat when Giorno tells Buccellati that they should probably say why he's betraying the Boss, like it looks like they're both in on something that he isn't and he loses his cool immediately. It's such a nice detail and pretty easy to spot once you notice it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Abbacchio is tsundere for Giorno. Extremely canon.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Giorno your power is so loving stupid. I loving hate you so much stop using it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Funky Valentine posted:

Giorno your power is so loving stupid. I loving hate you so much stop using it.

King Crimson makes more sense to me than Golden Experience.

I guess it's one of those situations where the villain has a more memetic presence than the hero, like how DIO having time stop was a meme that circulated everywhere while Jotaro having the same power was rarely mentioned.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

The fact that Abbachio would rather die than have Giorno save him is loving hilarious

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

he's right

go to hell giorno!!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Abbachio was certified Best Boy when he uttered the words "That's some real bullshit you pulled off, Giorno Giovanna", which was exactly what everyone watching was thinking. This and he has the ability to rewind stuff - he is the ultimate audience surrogate.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

He also assumed Giorno would be the death of them and Bruno nearly died from trying shenanigans with Giorno.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

King Crimson makes more sense to me than Golden Experience.

I guess it's one of those situations where the villain has a more memetic presence than the hero, like how DIO having time stop was a meme that circulated everywhere while Jotaro having the same power was rarely mentioned.

Its also that the villain's power just gets more scrutiny in general due to the way Jojo fights go down. Meanwhile the hero's power is usually either pretty simple (Josuke, Jotaro) or a little handwavey (Giorno, Hamon)

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The redeeming part about Gold Experience is it lets giorno get as hosed as everyone else

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

If only stand users can see stands does that mean I am a stand user?

no, you're jellyfish.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

galagazombie posted:

Love how nonchalantly the narrator tells us that Notorious B.I.G remains to this day a horrifying sea monster that regularly murders boat-fulls of people. Someone needs to get Vanilla Ice out there to vanish it or something.

CJ posted:

Spice Girl just does what Echoes Act 2 did in one scene at the end of the Yukiko arc.

I was going to say, the little epilogue for Notorious BIG reminded me of the Morioh Landmarks in part 4 and I really miss part 4. I mean 5 is still good overall but it doesn't have the texture of part 4 like the little asides and comedic moments. Even part 3 did a better job of introducing "local flavor" with each new location, but in part 5 everything is just a setpiece for another fight.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Pomplamoose posted:

I was going to say, the little epilogue for Notorious BIG reminded me of the Morioh Landmarks in part 4 and I really miss part 4. I mean 5 is still good overall but it doesn't have the texture of part 4 like the little asides and comedic moments. Even part 3 did a better job of introducing "local flavor" with each new location, but in part 5 everything is just a setpiece for another fight.

This has been my only problem with part 5 as well, I wish they would spend more time doing character building instead of rushing to the next fight. Make some of the fights shorter! Do more boat torture dances!

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I just got to Golden Wind, but anyone who doesn't think that Joseph Joestar (Golden Wind not included) is the best is insane.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

OxySnake posted:

I just got to Golden Wind, but anyone who doesn't think that Joseph Joestar (Golden Wind not included) is the best is insane.

Just remember there's three entire more Jojos after this one.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Giorno hasnt even taught us about how people across the world communicate. He's definitely behind other Jojos on this regard

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ChaseSP posted:

Giorno hasnt even taught us about how people across the world communicate. He's definitely behind other Jojos on this regard

True but did other JoJos turn piss into a jellyfish tooth? Pretty sure Abbachio is still mad about that backfiring.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't think he realizes it backfired. Hell I don't think it did backfire, Giorno still drank the piss.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

OxySnake posted:

Put me in the padded cell then cause I don't like Joseph Joestar much at all

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 8, 2019

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Expect My Mom posted:

Put me in the padded cell then cause I don't like Joseph Joestar much at all

Your next words will be "No! Not the straight jacket!"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I see a lot of people online say that Jonathan is the most boring JoJo, but I honestly think Giorno fits the bill better. He starts out fine enough, but the moment that the Kraftwerk fight ends he just becomes "My resolve will see me through." and Bruno slides right past him in terms of memorable characterization.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
It's so great that adding the small detail of DIO lightly tapping a camera to do the same thing says so much about Joseph as well. I love when those bits show up. :allears:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The main problem I have with Giorno is that they always seem to make a reason to everyone to suck his dick even when he's not really part of the fight. The idea of him being the force pushing them forward loses a lot of points for me when they go out of their way to tell us every time.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
not sure what you mean, we clearly see giorno is the dicksucker

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

not sure what you mean, we clearly see giorno is the dicksucker

Actually the jellyfish sucked the dicks

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
At least from watching this part i'm vindicated in thinking it was boring compared to the others when i read it 6 years ago, and it wasn't just the bad translation.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
[watches the white album fight, king crimson erase time, notorious big all in a months time with high quality production, music and voice acting]

hmmm, this is boring

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Just fights without good characters aren't very entertaining. They're not even particularly well animated.

The white album fight was actually most improved compared to the manga. The bit where they were on the highway was terrible in the original translation. Just page after page of "The cold is coming in!" I had to take a break in reading it after that part.

The next two fights are great though. Along with the train fight they are the fights i remember fondly.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
BIG in the manga dragged on for way too long but it became a tense and well animated episode in the anime so they improved it considerably.

Giorno just kinda sucks but Jonathan, for all his faults, still had a personality.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CJ posted:

At least from watching this part i'm vindicated in thinking it was boring compared to the others when i read it 6 years ago, and it wasn't just the bad translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Momomo posted:

I don't think he realizes it backfired. Hell I don't think it did backfire, Giorno still drank the piss.

no it was jellyfish