Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Munin posted:

Ok, what am I looking at here because I'm not sure what to say to that. (also, foreign language deficient)

Largely Swedish nazis Nordic Resistance Movement encapsulated by cops as they march unannounced through Copenhagen. They hid their faces and started shoving the cops protecting them, so they were told it was illegal to assault cops and hide their faces. Compare with literally any other protest where that sort of behavior would be met immediately with nightsticks, tear gas and mass arrests.

I mean the Danish chapter even harassed the Minister of Justice at his home address, I can't imagine why they're being coddled.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Apr 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SplitSoul posted:

I can't imagine why they're being coddled.

I think you can, but it's a really goddamn uncomfortable thought.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

In a truly inspired piece of spin, Peter Kofod said "I don't have to agree with what other parties do in other countries.".
It's true, he doesn't have to, it just so happens that it seems like he and his entire party does. How curious.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

SplitSoul posted:

Largely Swedish nazis Nordic Resistance Movement encapsulated by cops as they march unannounced through Copenhagen. They hid their faces and started shoving the cops protecting them, so they were told it was illegal to assault cops and hide their faces. Compare with literally any other protest where that sort of behavior would be met immediately with nightsticks, tear gas and mass arrests.

I mean the Danish chapter even harassed the Minister of Justice at his home address, I can't imagine why they're being coddled.
NRM set of a series of bombs in Gothenburg against asylum housing and a left-wing community center, permanently injuring one janitor, and weren't charged with terrorism because immigrants are not counted as a singular group and as such it wasn't terrorism according to the law as it must be target at a group, not groups.

They really bend their backs in trying to cover for the nazis.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

I think you can, but it's a really goddamn uncomfortable thought.

I'm accustomed to those by now tbh. My preceding thought was about the girl who had her face partially paralysed by a cop's pressure point hold when the Brorson Church was cleared out.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Rutkowski posted:

NRM set of a series of bombs in Gothenburg against asylum housing and a left-wing community center, permanently injuring one janitor, and weren't charged with terrorism because immigrants are not counted as a singular group and as such it wasn't terrorism according to the law as it must be target at a group, not groups.

They really bend their backs in trying to cover for the nazis.

this seems as though it should cover for a spectacular amount of potential hate crime, e.g. no i bombed a church containing both lutherans and catholics so it can't be terrorism

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

V. Illych L. posted:

this seems as though it should cover for a spectacular amount of potential hate crime, e.g. no i bombed a church containing both lutherans and catholics so it can't be terrorism

I targeted both men and women, clearly it is not terrorism!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Cynic Jester posted:

I targeted both men and women, clearly it is not terrorism!

I targeted those specific 34 people as individuals -> not terrorism.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

NMR should even fulfill the constitutional requirements for forced dissolution as their precepts include violence, but nah, let's give them a wall of cops to hide behind instead.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

NMR should even fulfill the constitutional requirements for forced dissolution as their precepts include violence, but nah, let's give them a wall of cops to hide behind instead.
poo poo, we actually have a law specifically made to dissolve and criminalize nazi paramilitary orgs but no court dare to use it and when regular Joes/Joettes have tried to charge them with the law it's immediatly tabled.

Law in question is the Olovlig Kårverksamhet law. It was instituted back in '34.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

nazis, and the Nordic Resistance
Yes but who are the people carrying flags?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I still have the feelgoods from when NMR tried to march in Stockholm and got super butthurt that the police diverted them to some side streets away from attention so they canceled their parade while people around them called them idiots

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Ahahaha, AfS got last second denied their booking in Tyresö this evening. It's valvaka all over again and Kasselstrand is sooooo butthurt. They plan to hold a meeting outside the cinema instead. It's one degree and windy. I hope they freeze.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Thankfully there's always a centrally heated Danish venue available.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

SplitSoul posted:

Ok, it kinda looked as if the cops were part of the march which would have been even more bonkers.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Well, if the cops are marching side by side with them for their protection...

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Munin posted:

Ok, it kinda looked as if the cops were part of the march which would have been even more bonkers.

weren't they?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Yeah, that was the point I was trying to make.

As for the latest Nazi showing in Oslo the police went to every length to let them speak, cordoning off a huge dmz, and making a show of force to the counterprotesters beforehand. To their credit they did not harass us during, and we easily drowned out the racist messages.

They also stopped two Nazis who wanted to show off for the cameras from approaching the anarchists after the demo. A shame, but any liberals will be happy to know the discourse with the Nazis was "civilized".

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Government Handjob posted:

Well, if the cops are marching side by side with them for their protection...

Something something about the foundations of democracy and free speech.
Given that roughly 2000 people voted on the nazis in the last Swedish election, you people are vastly exaggerating the influence and power of actual nazis.

The police is there to stop escalation, because we all know that both nazis and counter protesters would arm themselves (even more) in the absence of police.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cardiac posted:

The police is there to stop escalation, because we all know that both nazis and counter protesters would arm themselves (even more) in the absence of police.
You and I both know the hypernazis would never dare march if the police weren't there.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

For other examples of de-escalation see COP15 mass arrests, Brorson Church eviction, Maastricht Treaty riots.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Cardiac posted:

Something something about the foundations of democracy and free speech.
Given that roughly 2000 people voted on the nazis in the last Swedish election, you people are vastly exaggerating the influence and power of actual nazis.

They're not a threat to the state.

They are an imminent and lethal threat to numerous people though. They've proven again and again that they don't need official state support to be dangerous, just the flaccid acceptance of people like you who discredit them because they're not doing a March on Rome yet.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

For every nazi there's hundreds of people who would tolerate a nazi regime as long as their own lives get to continue as normal. The tipping point is far below 51% nazis.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Historians seem to agree that during the Nazi occupation of Denmark, only about 1% were officially supporting the Nazis.
About 1% is also the amount of Danes who were in the resistence movement.

So you're absolutely right, it definitely does not take very much - which is absolutely terrifying to me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The year is 2088.

God Emperor Racismus Paludanazi of Denazimark has just finished his daily bacon grease anointing.

His black sun gaze scans the room, evaluating each of his most trusted lieutenants in turn.

A previously unnoticed Jewish deviation of 0.14mm in the nasal profile of Überschinke Rauschberg catches his watchful eye.

"UNACCEPTABLY JEWISH!" he thunders, "READY THE HELICOPTER, NO PARACHUTE!".

Überschinke Rauschberg is immediately siezed by armed supersoldiers.

She protests, "Please my Lord, I am your most loyal and ardent supporter, I masterminded the plague lab camps!"

She is dragged away, screaming and whimpering.

"Racial purity has been restored. For now."

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Friendly reminder that even NSDAP started out getting miniscule results in the elections of 1924 (0.1%).

This poo poo gets out of hand fast as gently caress once their rhetoric is normalized, though and within a few years NSDAP was seeing numbers around 15 - 20% in elections.

So yeah...

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's real easy to be all dismissive of the nazis when you're not on the target list. Of course, the Cardiacs of the world have been just as dismissive no matter how much support the nazis are getting, almost as if they don't actually care.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Friendly reminder that even NSDAP started out getting miniscule results in the elections of 1924 (0.1%).

This poo poo gets out of hand fast as gently caress once their rhetoric is normalized, though and within a few years NSDAP was seeing numbers around 15 - 20% in elections.

So yeah...

Yeah NSDAP went from an irrelevant and largely regional phenomena to the party we all know and hate in roughly one lead-up to the great depression.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

So yeah...

Speaking of actual fascists, "nye borgerlige" didn't get in last election, but they're looking like a sure thing this time.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Speaking of actual fascists, "nye borgerlige" didn't get in last election, but they're looking like a sure thing this time.

At least for now the most reactionary people are gonna be split between Nye Borgerlige, Demokratene, Partiet De Kristne, Alliansen, Selvstendighetspartiet and Norgespartiet. I miss the times when Frp was a fringe party widely considered to be Your Drunk Racist Uncle That No One Takes Seriously.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Look at France during WW2. It wasn't even their own nazi regime. It was a foreign, hostile occupying nazi regime. Still people kept going as normal. The cogs kept spinning and the nazis got manpower, food and materials all through the war.

The French resistance only really offered passive resistance. Making resistance newspapers etc. It was when they realised that Germany was going to lose the war that they got active.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

D. Ebdrup posted:

Historians seem to agree that during the Nazi occupation of Denmark, only about 1% were officially supporting the Nazis.

0.6% were actual members of the party, IIRC, so that seems a bit low.

Happy April 9th! :toot:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Katt posted:

The French resistance only really offered passive resistance. Making resistance newspapers etc. It was when they realised that Germany was going to lose the war that they got active.

I think that's kinda unfair considering that the resistance knew that for every successful operation they pulled their would be massive reprisals on the civilian population. For example,when the Czechoslovakian resistance movement killed Reinhard Heydrich the nazis killed 5000 civilians, entire villages were leveled.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Alhazred posted:

I think that's kinda unfair considering that the resistance knew that for every successful operation they pulled their would be massive reprisals on the civilian population. For example,when the Czechoslovakian resistance movement killed Reinhard Heydrich the nazis killed 5000 civilians, entire villages were leveled.

Comfortable excuse in retrospect though at the time it was more like "But I got this neat house and the nazis pay well for my goods so why rock the boat?"

I think it's just a European thing. Most Russians would have none of that even before the nazis showed themselves to be mass murderers.

The same thing happened during Napoleonic wars. Napoleon comes up to an Austrian farmer all "sell me your crops and pay me your taxes and things will remain as they were" and the Austrian farmer agrees. Napoleon tried the same with Russian farmers and even nobles and they burned the fields and fled. The nobles even spoke French and knew Napoleon wasn't coming to destroy everything but they still wouldn't have any of it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Katt posted:

I think it's just a European thing. Most Russians would have none of that even before the nazis showed themselves to be mass murderers.

During the first few months of the war one million railroad cars loaded with industrial equipment, raw materials, and people departed from the frontline areas. /16 I won't delve into specifics of the scale of the Soviet program of deporting the civilian population. This I have done in some detail in The Dissolution. Suffice it here to note that before the war upward of 90 million people were living in the Soviet areas conquered by Germany during the Second World War. The Soviets deported anywhere between 25 and 30 million of them. They concentrated their deportation efforts on specific groups. Thus, they preferred the urban to the rural population, the skilled to the unskilled, and large educated minorities (Jews and Russians in the Ukraine, White Russia, and in the Baltic countries) to the more hostile native population. Because the Soviets had begun their deportation program long before the outbreak of the war and because the western frontier areas were generally not densely populated, the Soviet cities which fell into German hands during the first few days and weeks of the war were greatly depopulated - up to 90 percent in some cases and over 50 percent on the average. The cities tended to show greater deportation percentages if they were located in the Ukraine or White Russia, rather than in the Baltic countries; if they were located near the western frontier rather than further east; and if they had large educated minorities than if the native population predominated.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Alhazred posted:

During the first few months of the war one million railroad cars loaded with industrial equipment, raw materials, and people departed from the frontline areas. /16 I won't delve into specifics of the scale of the Soviet program of deporting the civilian population. This I have done in some detail in The Dissolution. Suffice it here to note that before the war upward of 90 million people were living in the Soviet areas conquered by Germany during the Second World War. The Soviets deported anywhere between 25 and 30 million of them. They concentrated their deportation efforts on specific groups. Thus, they preferred the urban to the rural population, the skilled to the unskilled, and large educated minorities (Jews and Russians in the Ukraine, White Russia, and in the Baltic countries) to the more hostile native population. Because the Soviets had begun their deportation program long before the outbreak of the war and because the western frontier areas were generally not densely populated, the Soviet cities which fell into German hands during the first few days and weeks of the war were greatly depopulated - up to 90 percent in some cases and over 50 percent on the average. The cities tended to show greater deportation percentages if they were located in the Ukraine or White Russia, rather than in the Baltic countries; if they were located near the western frontier rather than further east; and if they had large educated minorities than if the native population predominated.

This is all hindsight though. Back then information travelled at glacial speeds.

Katt fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 9, 2019

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm pretty sure Stalin knew what he was doing when he decided to deport all those troublesome minorities.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Alhazred posted:

I'm pretty sure Stalin knew what he was doing when he decided to deport all those troublesome minorities.

Straying dangerously close to "Hitler was bad... but!" territory there.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

honestly passive resistance owns bones and is entirely respectable, and its denigration is pretty shameful

i'm biassed here since my granddad basically got tortured to death (not immediately, but it did break his health and he perished like fifteen years after liberation) for organising engineered bureacratic inertia and slow-walk actions in his industrial municipality, but anyone who believes in the power of industrial action should recognise that that stuff was no joke and did genuine and recognised damage to the german war effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"Putting a lot of japanese-americans in interment camps were bad."
"Straying dangerously close to "Hitler was bad... but!" territory there."