Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010

Qubee posted:

So in Engineering degrees, you use CAD software like Solidworks and Inventor. What software is used in Computer Science degrees for programming and stuff, and how CPU + GPU intensive are they?

The most demanding thing you'd have to run would be an IDE like Eclipse or Visual Studio. Nothing that would stress a CPU/GPU at all.

Unless you're doing machine learning or AI, but then you'd probably use the cloud. I spun up a small AWS instance to do some homework for the grad-level Data Science course I took, mainly because the data set I was working with wouldn't fit in RAM.

If your computer can run emacs, you're probably set for most undergrad CS courses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Robokomodo posted:

Almost assuredly a Monopoly jab.

In case you haven't done it yet go visit a doctor.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Don’t worry guys. Made an appointment for tomorrow. I’m not in any amount of physical pain. But thank you for your concern and suggestion.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Robokomodo posted:

Don’t worry guys. Made an appointment for tomorrow. I’m not in any amount of physical pain. But thank you for your concern and suggestion.

I mean I guess vomiting blood is pretty high up on my "go to urgent care or the ER" list but you do you

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Robokomodo posted:

Puking blood is literally a medical emergency. But yeah, that's good.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Robokomodo posted:

Nthing what others have said, but one more point: don't drive, get someone to take you tomorrow or use a rideshare. If the bleed is slow you might be ok, but you might also go wiffly and pass out without much warning.

So sayeth this former EMS worker.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Looking at Robokomodo's posting history in just this thread alone, I'd say we're looking at a Darwinning in progress.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TofuDiva posted:

Nthing what others have said, but one more point: don't drive, get someone to take you tomorrow or use a rideshare. If the bleed is slow you might be ok, but you might also go wiffly and pass out without much warning.

So sayeth this former EMS worker.

So comfirth this other former EMS worker.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Its Coke posted:

Is there any that lets you do it without associating them with a specific account?

Yes. Facebook. Just create a page.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is there any rough estimate on energy usage of a dishwasher from 1995? I'm going to replace the appliances my parents put in this house and I'm sure that the one I'm eyeballing (a Bosch 300 Series) is more efficient, but I'm curious by how much

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is there any rough estimate on energy usage of a dishwasher from 1995? I'm going to replace the appliances my parents put in this house and I'm sure that the one I'm eyeballing (a Bosch 300 Series) is more efficient, but I'm curious by how much

A dishwasher that old is almost certainly not Energy Star compliant (the EPA didn't introduce Energy Star standards for dishwahsers until 1994, and it took a while for dishwashers to become compliant). The EPA says conventional pre-Energy Star dishwashers used around 467 kilowatt hours per year of electricity for standard sizes, and 346 kilowatt hours per year of electricity for "compact" models. They also used around 14-16 gallons of water per wash cycle.

A modern Energy Star compliant dishwasher (which nearly all new ones are) must use 324 kilowatt hours per year under standard testing if standard size, no more than 234 kilowatt hours per year if compact. And the water usage maximum rates are 5.8 and 4.0 gallons per cycle respectively. Basically, it should be using around 30% less energy and 60% less water, and depending on the exact old and new models you're comparing the differences can be even greater.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

They also used around 14-16 gallons of water per wash cycle.

:captainpop:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

fishmech posted:

A dishwasher that old is almost certainly not Energy Star compliant (the EPA didn't introduce Energy Star standards for dishwahsers until 1994, and it took a while for dishwashers to become compliant). The EPA says conventional pre-Energy Star dishwashers used around 467 kilowatt hours per year of electricity for standard sizes, and 346 kilowatt hours per year of electricity for "compact" models. They also used around 14-16 gallons of water per wash cycle.

A modern Energy Star compliant dishwasher (which nearly all new ones are) must use 324 kilowatt hours per year under standard testing if standard size, no more than 234 kilowatt hours per year if compact. And the water usage maximum rates are 5.8 and 4.0 gallons per cycle respectively. Basically, it should be using around 30% less energy and 60% less water, and depending on the exact old and new models you're comparing the differences can be even greater.

Holy hell. The one I'm looking at, a Bosch 300 is way better at less than 60% of the power and water. And I'm gonna need one sooner rather than later since the inside has some rust that I've noticed

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
FWIW we got a Bosch dishwasher for our old house, and after about a year of use it stopped cleaning as well. There would be tiny food particles stuck all over everything even if we cleaned the interior and filter right before we used it. Often times we’d have to run things through another cycle to get residue off, and we tried different soaps with no luck. We were looking to replace it after only four years. The new house we bought has an older dishwasher but it works great so we won’t be replacing it any time soon, and if we do, we definitely won’t go with Bosch.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've got a Smeg dishwasher. It was pretty expensive, but it's incredibly quiet, cheap to run and cleans really well. I've had it ~4 years and run maybe three of those cleaning things through it.

Also it has the funniest company name out of any appliance, which I will admit influenced my choice at least a little.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

That is especially a terrible name for something that cleans.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'm looking for this site that used to get linked occasionally, that maintained a huge tabular list of the "least presidential things Trump has said or done" in order. I think you could vote on their ordering or something.

It seemed like a setup for the perfect place for centrist/liberals to go to be reminded of why they're so uncomfortable. And hopefully, eventually realize why they're more than just uncomfortable, because looking at the top ten it should be clear that more is at stake than loss of decorum.

I want to see if that still exists now that we're well into Trump's presidency, and includes his now farther reaching actions. Anyone know where it is?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Is there an Ironman thread somewhere?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Koivunen posted:

FWIW we got a Bosch dishwasher for our old house, and after about a year of use it stopped cleaning as well. There would be tiny food particles stuck all over everything even if we cleaned the interior and filter right before we used it. Often times we’d have to run things through another cycle to get residue off, and we tried different soaps with no luck. We were looking to replace it after only four years. The new house we bought has an older dishwasher but it works great so we won’t be replacing it any time soon, and if we do, we definitely won’t go with Bosch.

I don't know what the water was like at your old place, but I have hard water. Before we put in a softener this would happen to us, and it was the tine nozzles getting clogged. Had to run an occasional cycle empty with CLR in there to get it working again.

Also you can throw in some white vinegar for an empty cycle if it start smelling funky.

I think the cleaning kits Memento mentioned do both, but poo poo....I already had the other stuff sitting in my house so I just used that.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

This is definitely what makes a dishwasher start sucking, yeah. Wouldn't an additive like Calgon or something prevent it?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Busy Bee posted:

Is there an Ironman thread somewhere?

What kind?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hipster_Doofus posted:

This is definitely what makes a dishwasher start sucking, yeah. Wouldn't an additive like Calgon or something prevent it?

That's specifically for hard water spots, so REALLY drat hard water. I'd guess it would do the trick just fine.

I installed a softener for the whole house and it was a massive, massive quality of life upgrade so so many ways.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Motronic posted:

That's specifically for hard water spots, so REALLY drat hard water. I'd guess it would do the trick just fine.

I installed a softener for the whole house and it was a massive, massive quality of life upgrade so so many ways.

How much does a system like that cost for a household of your size (which is?), really interested to know cause I'd like to get something similar.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Qubee posted:

How much does a system like that cost for a household of your size (which is?), really interested to know cause I'd like to get something similar.

Two adults, two children. With an easy and obvious place for me, a home gamer, to install it. So I picked one up at Home Depot for about $600, plus another $50 worth of valves, pipe and fittings. Costs about $20 in salt per month to keep going (which will vary based on how hard your water is.....you have to calibrate it for how often it "recycles" and uses salt.

It is not a nice one. At least once a year it will end up beeping because something in the cycle screwed up, typically one of the valves. So I spend an hour taking it apart and cleaning it up in hot water where the pieces got crusty. So worth it.

At my new house I have a "professional" system, and that thing just works. It takes up a lot more space with it's separate brine tank, but that tank holds like 500 lbs of salt and at this rate (only been here about 6 months) I think I'll need to fill it about once a YEAR, where with the old place it was more of a monthly thing to fill the integrated hopper. The previous owner mentioned this system cost him about $3k to get installed a few years back.

If it wasn't already here I would have gone back to home depot for another $600 one.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

The only things I don't like about soft water is that it feels like you can't get the soap rinsed off of you in the shower, and coffee just doesn't taste right. I suppose one adjusts after a while though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Hipster_Doofus posted:

The only things I don't like about soft water is that it feels like you can't get the soap rinsed off of you in the shower, and coffee just doesn't taste right. I suppose one adjusts after a while though.

Beats having hard water where soap doesn't even lather to begin with. Before I had a water softener attached to my shower head, I'd have to squirt huge amounts of shampoo / conditioner to clean my hair properly. And even then, it wouldn't lather properly and was a bitch to rinse out. After adding a water softener, I need waaaaaay less sham / con to get the job done, and it washes out super easily. I actually leave the shower feeling clean as well, whereas before I'd just not feel clean.

gently caress hard water.

Also, isn't coffee meant to be brewed with distilled water, which is basically the same as soft water? Or am I wrong. So shouldn't coffee brewed that way be the way coffee is meant to taste.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Qubee posted:

Beats having hard water where soap doesn't even lather to begin with. Before I had a water softener attached to my shower head, I'd have to squirt huge amounts of shampoo / conditioner to clean my hair properly. And even then, it wouldn't lather properly and was a bitch to rinse out. After adding a water softener, I need waaaaaay less sham / con to get the job done, and it washes out super easily. I actually leave the shower feeling clean as well, whereas before I'd just not feel clean.

gently caress hard water.

Also, isn't coffee meant to be brewed with distilled water, which is basically the same as soft water? Or am I wrong. So shouldn't coffee brewed that way be the way coffee is meant to taste.

What type of softener do you have? Was looking at this one since I'd like to keep our current head, but I wasn't convinced it'd do much.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

sleppy posted:

What type of softener do you have? Was looking at this one since I'd like to keep our current head, but I wasn't convinced it'd do much.

I got this one which seems to be basically the same thing. I'm really really happy with mine. Even ordered one for my little sister. Definitely notice a difference, but it's not a crazy change. I will give some anecdotal evidence that it was doing something right: I was having really bad scalp issues / dandruff / dryness / terrible hair loss. Had a feeling it was shower related cause of all the chalk / calcium / carbonate whatever caking up my skull. This softener attachment fixed my issues 100%, I've stopped losing clumps of hair in the shower, no longer have dandruff, and my hair is as thick as it always used to be. I genuinely noticed a positive difference after the first week, but I immediately noticed how much better soap lathered and how soft and clean my skin felt after my first shower with this.

So happy with it I'll be buying my 6 month replacement filter soon.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Thanks! I sort of felt like my skin was drier since moving here, but had never known much about water hardness and its effects. My girlfriend noticed scalp issues and thinning hair very soon after moving in, so this is worth a shot. I ordered the one I linked and will post in a while with results.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Good luck man, hope it works as well for you two as it did for me.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah I stayed in a place for a couple months that had seriously hard water. I had no idea what that can do to your skin. My hands started peeling like crazy and I had no idea what the gently caress. I mean it was as if they got sunburned really badly. :wtc:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I love that soft water feel.....the soap does come off, but you're still kinda slick. Never noticed the coffee thing. I guess it's a love/hate or get used to thing.

Also, if that is excessive, the softener isn't calibrated properly. Or you're living on or near the beach and you have no choice because I don't think water hardeners are thing.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

The Triathlon kind!

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

Robokomodo posted:

Does old blood lose its coppery taste?

are you a vampire? no seriously, are you one?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Busy Bee posted:

The Triathlon kind!

Ah! You'll want to look in YLLS, then.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Regarding UK law: if I'm a part-time worker at a restaurant and my manager has consistently cancelled / scheduled me for work on short notice (I'm talking an hour, sometimes two at most), is this legal or? I've had shifts cancelled last minute on days I've been scheduled, which throws my entire day out the window because I have to plan around a shift I thought was going to happen, but never did. Other times, my manager will contact me at 2pm saying "come into work for 6pm", then message again at 5pm telling me not to bother. It's a huge pain in the rear end and I wanted to know what - if any - standing I have in regards to missed hours of work and potential loss in salary. Seems shady as gently caress if managers can pull these stunts with next to no repercussions, especially considering the fact that if I refuse to come in or call my manager out on their bullshit, I'll end up getting grief for it.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Qubee posted:

Regarding UK law: if I'm a part-time worker at a restaurant and my manager has consistently cancelled / scheduled me for work on short notice (I'm talking an hour, sometimes two at most), is this legal or? I've had shifts cancelled last minute on days I've been scheduled, which throws my entire day out the window because I have to plan around a shift I thought was going to happen, but never did. Other times, my manager will contact me at 2pm saying "come into work for 6pm", then message again at 5pm telling me not to bother. It's a huge pain in the rear end and I wanted to know what - if any - standing I have in regards to missed hours of work and potential loss in salary. Seems shady as gently caress if managers can pull these stunts with next to no repercussions, especially considering the fact that if I refuse to come in or call my manager out on their bullshit, I'll end up getting grief for it.

IANAL but this is just standard zero-hour contract shenanigans with poor management. Pretty sure there's nothing you can do really, but you should have a contract you signed and potentially have a copy of. You should read it, or request a copy to read it if at all possible. Most of the time you will be SOL, sorry. Sometimes contracts have a minimum apprisal time for shifts, and you can be compensated an hour or two for cancelled shifts and so on. In which case, you can make a fuss, but in the real world this will probably just get you labelled as problematic and you'll get let go in favour of somebody else who doesn't complain.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Figured as much, don't wanna upset the apple cart, management is utter trash and I'd probably just get the boot. They treat us all equally lovely, so if I kick up a fuss, I'd just be let go. Cheers!

Edit: How do international calling cards work? Like how do they manage to make it so international calls are much cheaper? I wanna know the science behind it.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 8, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
My mom bought me one of those ripoff Balfour high school class rings back in the day. I recently found it and the silver no longer looks silver. I thought I'd try to clean it off to see how shiny it really is. I threw it in a pot of boiling water/aluminum foil/salt/baking soda to try to do electrolysis. It didn't clean it much and now the metal in the center holding the gem in place turned green. Whoops, guess that's a different metal. What happened? Any quick fix? If not it doesn't matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Qubee posted:

Edit: How do international calling cards work? Like how do they manage to make it so international calls are much cheaper? I wanna know the science behind it.

These days, they probably just make it so that you call in to their server somewhere local to you, which communicates over the Internet with another server in your target country which places the outbound call, and then connects it all up. Basically each side is calling a computer that can do an Internet voice app. (At least, that's the way I'd do it. I've been an Asterisk admin now and then, but never for a calling card biz.)

Frankly it's astounding that anyone gets away with charging for phone calls at all anymore. If both parties have Internet access, even a lovely 3G cellphone, it doesn't exactly take a lot of bandwidth to do a simple duplex voice stream via Skype or Google or Signal or Jitsi or any of the ten thousand other ways.