Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Heath posted:

I don't mourn a single one of these :colbert:

i'm a little sad that allie brosh is not making cartoons any more but i heard that she's doing better now so that is good :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i'm a little sad that allie brosh is not making cartoons any more but i heard that she's doing better now so that is good :unsmith:

Same. Her posts on depression were not only funny, but also spoke to me on a visceral level. This was a person who not only had depression, but wrote about it in a way that absolutely described what it was like.

Isn't she supposed to have another book out this year?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Proteus Jones posted:

Same. Her posts on depression were not only funny, but also spoke to me on a visceral level. This was a person who not only had depression, but wrote about it in a way that absolutely described what it was like.

Isn't she supposed to have another book out this year?

She has another book listed as being released "TBA", Solutions and Other Problems. Her sister was killed at the end of 2013 - her car was hit by a train, it was treated as an accident but Allie refers to it as a suicide.

Really rough :smith:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

thanks, i hate it

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Memento posted:

She has another book listed as being released "TBA", Solutions and Other Problems. Her sister was killed at the end of 2013 - her car was hit by a train, it was treated as an accident but Allie refers to it as a suicide.

Really rough :smith:

A lot of story alteration like that happens up here and it needs to stop. "Couple in their 50's died of firearms injury in their home. No suspects are being sought." :thunk: Just report what actually happened and maybe we can actually have a conversation on mental wellness and start to make a dent on poo poo like that.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
That just means the cop shot them. Don't jump to conclusions.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Raptor1033 posted:

A lot of story alteration like that happens up here and it needs to stop. "Couple in their 50's died of firearms injury in their home. No suspects are being sought." :thunk: Just report what actually happened and maybe we can actually have a conversation on mental wellness and start to make a dent on poo poo like that.

I dunno if that's the best idea. IIRC, isn't there a phenomena of copycat suicides where if a suicide is reported in the news, others contemplating the decision will be encouraged to follow suit. Some people were speculating there was a connection between Kate Spade and Antony Bordain. I'm sure part of the coy language is to reduce further suicides, not pretend they're not happening.

Edit: source https://jech.bmj.com/content/57/4/238

And

https://www.samaritans.org/about-samaritans/media-guidelines/

Leon Sumbitches has a new favorite as of 13:37 on Apr 8, 2019

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

I'm sorry for your loss, Tenno.

(From Reddit )

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Reminds me I want to rewatch Spring Breakers again soon.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

Bread Liar

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs

They were so close... Feartuccini Afraido.
:cmon:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Pooh is just a reskinned galaxy brain.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

Bread Liar

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Master Twig posted:

Pooh is just a reskinned galaxy brain.

It's becoming more and more that but at first it was specifically for things getting fancier (either actually or ironically)

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
Staring Tom memes are just those edgy Sesame Street memes

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mistakes... into miracles?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Beobeobeo posted:

Staring Tom memes are just those edgy Sesame Street memes

nah, the edgy sesame street memes never had a setup or punchline or joke, they just tried to recontextualize screenshots in the edgelordiest possible way. The humor was supposed to come from "ha ha, these muppets don't actually rape or murder or have Vietnam-induced PTSD but the caption makes it sound like they do, oh my sides"

The staring tom memes have a pattern of the setup line setting certain expectations, then the punchline subverting them in some (usually funny) way. Sometimes it's edgy sometimes not, but crucially they're usually funny, or at the very least they have the pattern of a joke, something the sesame street memes never did.

Staring Tom owns. And I'll take a large Oreo blizzard with extra Oreo please.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Staring Tom isn't the greatest meme ever, but it's better than the Sesame Street edgelord thing, come on. I'm disappointed in you, Beobeobeo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

bike tory posted:

It's becoming more and more that but at first it was specifically for things getting fancier (either actually or ironically)

So it's a reskinned Joseph Ducreux

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Memes exist because A Modest Proposal was too subtle

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Staring Tom is a reskinned Terrible Tiger (with fewer rape jokes, therefore better)

The Bloop posted:

Memes exist because A Modest Proposal was too subtle

For a second my brain parsed this as "A Modest Proposal was ignored" and I thought you were trying to imply that the Irish invented memes because we didn't eat their children

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Memes exist

ugh

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
In America's defense "cum glock" sounds pretty scary.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

In America's defense "cum glock" sounds pretty scary. sexy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

In America's defense "cum glock" sounds pretty scary.

Don’t doxx my penis thanks.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Every meme is a reskin of a reskin. Peel back all the layers, and you'll eventually work your way back to Hamster Dance.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

the_steve posted:

Every meme is a reskin of a reskin. Peel back all the layers, and you'll eventually work your way back to Hamster Dance.

Hamster dance itself is just roman graffiti which itself was a reskin of Macedonian dick art.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

The big bang was the first shitpost.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

TaurusTorus posted:

The big bang was the first shitpost.

Putting this post on my fridge and eventually tattooed on my body.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Powerful

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

nah, the edgy sesame street memes never had a setup or punchline or joke, they just tried to recontextualize screenshots in the edgelordiest possible way. The humor was supposed to come from "ha ha, these muppets don't actually rape or murder or have Vietnam-induced PTSD but the caption makes it sound like they do, oh my sides"

The staring tom memes have a pattern of the setup line setting certain expectations, then the punchline subverting them in some (usually funny) way. Sometimes it's edgy sometimes not, but crucially they're usually funny, or at the very least they have the pattern of a joke, something the sesame street memes never did.

Staring Tom owns. And I'll take a large Oreo blizzard with extra Oreo please.

This post is correct, but I have to admit this one makes me chuckle.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LostCosmonaut posted:

This post is correct, but I have to admit this one makes me chuckle.

I have no connection with Sesame Street so Bernie and Ert always remind me of these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2kxZTE0vj0

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtu.be/X_GT1MREo18

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

I don't get "My kids have good grades so give them your Switch?"

Yes, I know a Switch is a video game thingy, but is this based on a meme, news story, youtub video, reddit STDH?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

I don't get "My kids have good grades so give them your Switch?"

Yes, I know a Switch is a video game thingy, but is this based on a meme, news story, youtub video, reddit STDH?

I don't recognise that exact scenario but there's plenty of stories like that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/entitledparents/comments/apnazc/entilted_parent_demands_me_to_give_her_son_my_3ds/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, there's no way that actually happened