Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Leavemywife posted:

Question about Us:

At the end, when Red is talking to Adelaide while they're in the classroom, why do the shots of Red's face, the very close ones, with Adelaide in the background, look off? Red's face looks very off to me, and I can't explain why. It's like it's fake, or too rubbery, or something.

Why is that? Is it just an issue of too close?

It's a split diopter shot, which sometimes gives that effect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CbQ-ayDbrU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's one of these things, which gives half of the image a new closer focal point.

The background on the close-up side is blurred, while it's sharp on the far-focused side, so there's a surreal look.
With the same actress playing both roles, it's interesting that he chose to use it even though it'd have to have been a two take comp anyway.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's worth noting that Citizen Kane didn't use split focus, but rather a mix of compositing and deep focus. For the latter, you basically flood the hell out of the set with light and cut the aperture down to a minimum, which allows you to have stuff both really close and far in focus. That famous shot of Kane at the typewriter, though, was simply done with Welles sitting in front of a rear projection screen.

Likewise, the similar shots in Stage Fright and Strangers on a Train were done with composites. Stage Fright isn't particularly well done - if you saw it up close, you'd see all sorts of fringing from the matte around Marlene. I think Strangers just used a rear projection screen again.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Egbert Souse posted:

It's worth noting that Citizen Kane didn't use split focus, but rather a mix of compositing and deep focus. For the latter, you basically flood the hell out of the set with light and cut the aperture down to a minimum, which allows you to have stuff both really close and far in focus. That famous shot of Kane at the typewriter, though, was simply done with Welles sitting in front of a rear projection screen.

Likewise, the similar shots in Stage Fright and Strangers on a Train were done with composites. Stage Fright isn't particularly well done - if you saw it up close, you'd see all sorts of fringing from the matte around Marlene. I think Strangers just used a rear projection screen again.
What's the smallest aperture that's typically used for 35mm motion picture film? f/16?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Egbert Souse posted:

Yeah, I figured there would things to nitpick in the video but I just grabbed the first one I saw that didn't have a nasally bore droning over the footage

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

david_a posted:

What's the smallest aperture that's typically used for 35mm motion picture film? f/16?

A lot of the time fairly large apertures are used, Lexi Alexander has a good interview about how this contributes to under representation of women and minorities (in short, if the vast majority of dialog is only spoken by white men, and you combine that by shooting with a shallow depth of field where frequently only the person speaking is in focus...)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

morestuff posted:

Yeah, I figured there would things to nitpick in the video but I just grabbed the first one I saw that didn't have a nasally bore droning over the footage

Though, they left out Nicholas Ray's 1961 King of Kings, which has a lot of great split-diopter shots.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm watching the movie lockout solely because I learned John Carpenter successfully sued the film's makers for plagiarized his films Escape from New York and Escape from L.A. There is a part of the movie that space marines have to assault the space prison and then the escaped prisoners turn on the space jail's space anti space vehicle space gatling gun.

Ok my question is, why does the space prison need space guns on the outside to stop people from getting in?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tenzarin posted:

I'm watching the movie lockout solely because I learned John Carpenter successfully sued the film's makers for plagiarized his films Escape from New York and Escape from L.A. There is a part of the movie that space marines have to assault the space prison and then the escaped prisoners turn on the space jail's space anti space vehicle space gatling gun.

Ok my question is, why does the space prison need space guns on the outside to stop people from getting in?

Prevent a gang from breaking out a member?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
But that's why the prison is in space and the people on the planet don't really have access to conventional space flight.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tenzarin posted:

To do battle against the other roving space prisons.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I love that John Carpenter sued Luc Besson and won an $80,000 judgment so Besson appealed and lost again, and the appellate court increased the amount to half a million.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

morestuff posted:

It's a split diopter shot, which sometimes gives that effect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CbQ-ayDbrU

Thank you for that. I can't think of where else I've ever seen a shot like that. It was a pretty creepy effect.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Tenzarin posted:

Maybe it's meant to destroy incoming space debris that would damage/destroy the prison. That would probably be better handled by something other than miniguns, but maybe that's the in-movie explanation.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Detective Thompson posted:

Maybe it's meant to destroy incoming space debris that would damage/destroy the prison. That would probably be better handled by something other than miniguns, but maybe that's the in-movie explanation.

Yeah. Or maybe just because it’s cool.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

therattle posted:

Yeah. Or maybe just because it’s cool.

In fairness, this is generally almost always an acceptable reason.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Timby posted:

In fairness, this is generally almost always an acceptable reason.

Case in point: the caravan in Mad Max: Fury Road. The guitar playing on the roof of the main rig is both extremely impractical and pointless; who's able to hear that? :colbert:

Looks loving amazing, like everything else about that movie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Uhh everyone? Did you see how many fuckin amps where strapped to that thing?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You could hear those rifts from way out in Gas Town.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

veni veni veni posted:

Uhh everyone? Did you see how many fuckin amps where strapped to that thing?

Fair enough, my memory is spotty. Though the Doppler effect would likely ruin the music, unless he's just playing for those also driving/riding.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Fair enough, my memory is spotty. Though the Doppler effect would likely ruin the music, unless he's just playing for those also driving/riding.

He’s a post apocalyptic drummer boy/fifer. It’s entirely for the rest of the war party.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I need to watch that movie again pronto

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

here, a reminder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-DDR8bowUM

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i cant believe that guitar was a practical effect/prop in every way too

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Just watched Poltergeist for the first time in 20-some years. Directed by Tobe Hooper my rear end, this was at least a co-director situation with Spielberg right?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The cinematographer came out in the past couple of years and said that it was absolutely directed by Spielberg with Hooper along for the ride as a sort of apprentice at his side. Apparently it was so hush-hush because Spielberg was breaking DGA regulations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

regulargonzalez posted:

Just watched Poltergeist for the first time in 20-some years. Directed by Tobe Hooper my rear end, this was at least a co-director situation with Spielberg right?

That's always been the rumor. (The actual rumor was the Spielberg directed the entire thing, and only paid Hooper to put his name on it, so it wouldn't ruin his "image")

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Found the story I was thinking about here. Wasn't the Cinematographer, it was his brother who was also the Assistant Cameraman. Apparently a looming director's strike made them play it safe.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Your link was broken, I fixed it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Really interesting. Tough to disguise his style though and some shots (like where the parents kiss before the mom goes into the closet to rescue Carol Ann) it was just obvious it had to be Spielberg.

Was he similarly involved with on-the-set stuff for Gremlins or was that all Joe Dante?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, it's not just the direction. Poltergeist is so clearly post-fatherhood Spielberg trying to make up for his Close Encounters sins of Roy abandoning his family for his passion. Spielberg's fingerprints are allll over that, and it fits perfectly into his Daddy Issues thematic timeline.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 8, 2019

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, it's not just the direction. Poltergeist is so clearly post-fatherhood Spielberg trying to make up for his Close Encounters sins of abandoning family for passion.

Curiously, though, it's the mom who rescues the children every time.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I heard it was less Spielberg directing and Hooper apprenticing, and more Spielberg was on hand to consult on the effects work and then was forced into directing after it became clear Hooper had no clue how to direct.

Like, Hooper seemed to think the rest of the crew took care of absolutely everything else, and the director was just supposed to show up and yell Action and Cut at the correct times.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i swear i have seen some BTS stuff about TCM before, but i don't recall hooper getting put through the wringer for his direction compared to poltergeist. was that just a flash in the pan that succeeded because of its budgetary constraints?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Like, Hooper seemed to think the rest of the crew took care of absolutely everything else, and the director was just supposed to show up and yell Action and Cut at the correct times.

Considering Hooper directed five films before Poltergeist, I seriously doubt that's true. If anything, the stories regarding TCM's production make it sound like he was extremely demanding, constantly pushing the actors to their limits because he felt they didn't live up to his vision.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Samuel Clemens posted:

Considering Hooper directed five films before Poltergeist, I seriously doubt that's true. If anything, the stories regarding TCM's production make it sound like he was extremely demanding, constantly pushing the actors to their limits because he felt they didn't live up to his vision.

the story about the guy having to lay on the hot pavement for extended periods of time waiting for clouds to pass and his skin starting to stick to it was pretty fitting for the movie's canon imo

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, it's not just the direction. Poltergeist is so clearly post-fatherhood Spielberg trying to make up for his Close Encounters sins of Roy abandoning his family for his passion. Spielberg's fingerprints are allll over that, and it fits perfectly into his Daddy Issues thematic timeline.
Spielberg wrote it so I’m not sure how this is at all surprising.

This topic has been discussed a lot in the last 37 years, some of which is summarized on this Poltergeist fan page. I don’t care enough to read all of it but it sounds like at the very least Hopper was incredibly deferential to Spielberg including mimicking his style. He may also have been blasted out of his mind at the time which would probably explain a few things.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The story I've always read is that Spielberg directed Poltergeist but Hooper got the credit, because Spielberg was under exclusive contract to Universal at the time.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Personally I think the Texas Chainsaw Massacre blows anything Spielberg has ever done out of the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

And Life Force and TCM 2 are better than at least half of 'em.