Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

WampaLord posted:

we are a nation full of crabs in a bucket

the sheer scorn that some people have for their fellow humans still blows me away sometimes "heh, that oughta show everyone who wants enough money to live on!"

I have a lot of Republican coworkers who go "they don't deserve $15/hr I don't even make that" and they never have an answer for "well maybe we deserve better pay too"

Instead they just storm off and continue ranting.

The greatest trick the rich pulled was convincing everyone poor that we need to hate each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Len posted:

The greatest trick the rich pulled was convincing everyone poor that we need to hate each other.

There's a long history, going at least as far back as the original Gilded Age, of capital pitting the working class against itself so that it isn't organized enough to mount a unified defense. "Welfare queens" and "lazy immigrants who take er jerbs" is all a part of the same effort to convince the working class to punch down instead of punching up at the people truly responsible for their plight.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

don't forget prosperity gospel which has been very effective in convincing churchy folks that not being wealthy just means you're not jesusing hard enough

you know that jesus fella, always supporting his local megachurch and palling around with the rich

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol Ray Dalio talking about wealth inequality on 60 minutes

total galaxy brain poo poo

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

this looks a lot like that robot coffee shop; did they pivot or something? using the same robot?

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the worlds faire but they made it into a lovely city

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

Feranon posted:

don't forget prosperity gospel which has been very effective in convincing churchy folks that not being wealthy just means you're not jesusing hard enough

you know that jesus fella, always supporting his local megachurch and palling around with the rich

And the wider culture around spirituality as an endeavor to increase material wealth.

I saw a banner ad awhile back that read "can runes help you attract abundance?" And I'm like, do you think the Vikings are known for how they "attracted" "abundance"?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Well they were pretty good at doing a style of 'The Secret' thinking where they really wanted stuff and made the stuff they wanted their stuff with violence. I guess the secret is 'scrawl some icons in the dirt and butcher the rich and take their stuff'.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!
"Reach heaven through violence."

Extremely literally.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I thought robots doing all the hard and tedious jobs were supposed to be a good thing, but nope, the rich managed to gently caress that up too.

I used to love robots. I thought they were loving cool. I thought we'd live in a world of fully automated luxury free of want and sorrow, united and immersed in an ever-growing sea of human understanding and compassionate unity, where the untiring hands of our mechanical allies would cradle us with genuine affection -- steel shepherds to guide and protect us.

But nope, Jeff Bezos need a smaller yacht for his medium yacht's swimming pool which, itself, is in his biggest yacht's swimming pool, so let's lower taxes for the rich and make things more expensive while denying employment to those most in need.

Can we please let loose some of the insane right-wing gunmen in some of these billionaire's homes instead? Like, we're never going to stop these broke-brained short-dicked second-amendment turbochodes from doing murder thanks to our may-as-well-be-non-existent psychological care network, so the least we could do is at least put their insane impulses to constructive purposes.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

hello

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

no it isn’t

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

even the promo picture looks like a frozen white castle with vegetables thrown in there. wow, bet it tastes good.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

even the promo picture looks like a frozen white castle with vegetables thrown in there. wow, bet it tastes good.

never underestimate san franciscan’s willingness to stand in lines for hours for mediocre but “quirky” food.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
Yeah? Well, let's see a robot serve me a hotdog wrapped in bacon at 2 in the morning when I'm wasted.

San Francisco is capitalism.city.

I'm a chef and I've turned down jobs at 4 different one and two Michelin starred restaurants (one of which has since gotten a third star) because if I took those jobs then I wouldn't be able to pay my rent and also have a social life. I've literally heard a chef say he was thinking about saving up money to go work for a Michelin restaurant. I think he was talking about Benu.

But, hey, at least you can see people shooting up and smoking crack on the street while teenagers who make hundreds of thousands of dollars walk passed them in droves completely ignoring them. So at least San Francisco has that.

From that burger robot article, it says the founder of that company "started flipping patties at his parent’s Southern California burger joint A's Burgers at age 9..."

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

My parents went to visit the US about a month ago and spent most of their time in the Bay Area. All they talk about is how many homeless people there were and I can see from their faces it was harrowing. And if I ask them if they didn't enjoy the trip at all they say that no, it was great but then immediately go back to talking about how horrible it was to see all that misery.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Good opportunity for neoluddites

Goddamn it would feel good to smash up that burg machine

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Powershift posted:

Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinda seems like a restaurant run by robots shouldn't have lines, with lines being the result of human's being crap at the stuff robots are supposed to be good at. Especially not lines out the door.

Like that's benefit 2 of robots, right behind not having to pay people. Seems like they are lovely robots.

Why would you want a burger made by a lovely robot.

Yeah, all the excess customers should have been processed into constituent parts in a timely manner

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shipon posted:

what's great about a city where it's nothing but quirky overpriced food and people stuck up their own rear end either about technology or about being a quirky artist

It's real pretty and there's a building with lots of old historic coin-operated arcade machines you can play with I guess

It's 50 toll lanes for an otherwise 4 lane road on both sides which is much less interesting

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

This rat looks suspiciously like a brand :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

There's a long history, going at least as far back as the original Gilded Age, of capital pitting the working class against itself so that it isn't organized enough to mount a unified defense. "Welfare queens" and "lazy immigrants who take er jerbs" is all a part of the same effort to convince the working class to punch down instead of punching up at the people truly responsible for their plight.

Gilded Age? Man that poo poo goes back before the American revolution

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

Shame Boy posted:

Gilded Age? Man that poo poo goes back before the American revolution
here's an example from 17th century capitalists.
From Howard Zinn's incredible A People's History of the United States

Zinn posted:

Page 37
As one scholar of slavery, Kenneth Stampp, has put it, Negro and white servants of the seventeenth century were “remarkably unconcerned about the visible physical differences.”Black and white worked together, fraternized together. The very fact that laws had to be passed after a while to forbid such relations indicates the strength of that tendency. In 1661 a law was passed in Virginia that “in case any English servant shall run away in company of any Negroes” he would have to give special service for extra years to the master of the runaway Negro. In 1691, Virginia provided for the banishment of any “white man or woman being free who shall intermarry with a negro, mulatoo, or Indian man or woman bond or free.”

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Testicular Torque Wrench posted:

here's an example from 17th century capitalists.
From Howard Zinn's incredible A People's History of the United States

I was explicitly trying to not bring up that book but yes that's where I got the idea :v:

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Alobar posted:

Yeah? Well, let's see a robot serve me a hotdog wrapped in bacon at 2 in the morning when I'm wasted.

I'm a chef and I've turned down jobs at 4 different one and two Michelin starred restaurants (one of which has since gotten a third star) because if I took those jobs then I wouldn't be able to pay my rent and also have a social life. I've literally heard a chef say he was thinking about saving up money to go work for a Michelin restaurant. I think he was talking about Benu.

But, hey, at least you can see people shooting up and smoking crack on the street while teenagers who make hundreds of thousands of dollars walk passed them in droves completely ignoring them. So at least San Francisco has that.

From that burger robot article, it says the founder of that company "started flipping patties at his parent’s Southern California burger joint A's Burgers at age 9..."

for the punk rock aesthetic that cooks love to cultivate they sure do love licking boots. after two years in fine dining the poo poo i hear from chefs and their lackeys sends my balls into orbit.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

georgia was founded as a place for white slaves and they had a no black slaves allowed policy when it was founded. they were to have border guards and everything. that embargo on african slaves lasted about 20 years.

there were strata of indentured servitude and animosity among the classes forever here

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

alriiiight i'm movin to cali to get a six figure tech job! go me :c00l:

wait why is everything so expensive how is this still not enough money aaaaaaaa

well.....at least there are homeless junkies and robo burgers. real city life

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Alobar posted:

i didn't think it was possible to get food in sf after midnight

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

The rich are everywhere over there.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Feranon posted:

alriiiight i'm movin to cali to get a six figure tech job! go me :c00l:

wait why is everything so expensive how is this still not enough money aaaaaaaa

well.....at least there are homeless junkies and robo burgers. real city life

Gotta keep track in yospos. Move to cali for the six and a half figgie job

That used to be 150k but it's looking more like 316k total comp (10^5.5) nowadays

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

dudes always set up outside of nightclubs and late night bars with portable grills and tacos or hot dogs or whatever, or they did back in 2014

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

Can we please let loose some of the insane right-wing gunmen in some of these billionaire's homes instead? Like, we're never going to stop these broke-brained short-dicked second-amendment turbochodes from doing murder thanks to our may-as-well-be-non-existent psychological care network, so the least we could do is at least put their insane impulses to constructive purposes.

The last time these United States had left wing loonies running around committing crimes was the Weather Underground bombings and the SLA kidnapping Patty Hearst and robbing banks in the late 60s early 70s. Everything since then has been right wing.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

MRC48B posted:

The last time these United States had left wing loonies running around committing crimes was the Weather Underground bombings and the SLA kidnapping Patty Hearst and robbing banks in the late 60s early 70s. Everything since then has been right wing.

you've clearly forgotten the gangs of antifa super soldiers and LEFTIST ms-13 turning are cities into whitey killzones

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
it's ok, we'll never have to worry about government interference in right wing paramilitary groups again after oklahoma city proved terrorism works

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

MRC48B posted:

I mean the right-wingers hate (((globalists))) so if we could just get them to focus on that more than like, mosques and gays it might work...

Though that really just means "all jews" doesn't it, so on second thought nah that's a bad idea.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
:tinfoil:MKULTRA:tinfoil: had usable and theoretically replicable techniques we just need to find a whole bunch of right wing guinea pigs to turn into sleepers

and sodium pentathol. lots of that.

and there’s gotta be a couple of goon hypnotists, there’s a goon representative of every profession.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

lancemantis posted:

it's ok, we'll never have to worry about government interference in right wing paramilitary groups again after oklahoma city proved terrorism works

yep, after getting their asses kicked in court over waco and ruby ridge, the feds decided it was easier to pick on left wing organizations. they don't shoot back.

:ssh: leftists also don't have a multi billion dollar political propaganda and lobbying machine on their side :911:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Methods of advancing your career as an FBI agent

90s: Plan a meticulous raid against one or more right wing psychos holed up in death traps that goes south when all your intel and assumptions of the situation turn out to be bullshit.

00s: Plant a seedy informant who you promised to reduce charges against (larceny/drugs/sexcrimes) within a leftist knitting circle of geriatrics and prevent them taking an activist vacation in Gaza.

10s: Give a cartoon bomb with a trick birthday candle fuse to an autistic Muslim teenager to toss at a Chuck E Cheese, book him as a criminal mastermind, media claims you stopped a terror plot.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

lancemantis posted:

Don't forget Obama giving the Republicans all the excuse they'll ever need (as if they needed one) to gut the poo poo out of the IRS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Senor Dog posted:

you've clearly forgotten the gangs of antifa super soldiers and LEFTIST ms-13 turning are cities into whitey killzones

Can you blame him, American Antifa turned out to be a huge nothingburger.