Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

There's usually an actual Amazing Race thread, but it's been kinda dead the last couple seasons iirc so maybe merging it with this one would be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

IcePhoenix posted:

There's usually an actual Amazing Race thread, but it's been kinda dead the last couple seasons iirc so maybe merging it with this one would be good.

No thanks.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This is kind of funny and on brand for Lesu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOdmVH8EKPw

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Mustard.

I'm glad someone is watching the secret scenes. Let us know if anything good pops up.

Not that any one person is responsible for it. They're kind of a drag and have pretty rare gems.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I've been watching all of them, there's a reason I haven't said much about them :v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I had no idea they were even a thing!! Post em all aaaaaa

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They all get posted weekly on their YouTube page after West Coast airing.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SurvivorOnCBS/videos

I usually always watch the Ponderosa vids but we're not getting them this season, presumably.

They used to do 20+ goddamn videos a week with a whole bunch of extra confessionals. It looks like they've really toned that down.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 6, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't actually seek them out, its just whatever might catch my attention when I'm scrolling around Youtube. They're usually pretty mundane little things like that and this clip of Rick losing his mind on Extinction Island.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfkGleDsPV4

And here's Lesu in a manic "we like each other" mood swing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUTVkw-ZOD4

Extended cut of Keith getting owned on Extinction Island.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXuBBVYCV9w

Here's Gavin being kind of a weirdo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjwFDqH2KkM

Eric fishing, adding more evidence to the "Kama was just boring" theory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-YfMSLMTiE

No one cares about them naming their tribe. Spoiler, someone claims they memorized a local word and they all agreed to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVBOj6p6v64&t=3s

I think that's it besides the one of Lesu bulling Wendy that was posted earlier in the thread.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

STAC Goat posted:

No one cares about them naming their tribe. Spoiler, someone claims they memorized a local word and they all agreed to it.

Murlonio

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hahaha wow, well I hope when Joe weasels back into the game, Gavin finally fulfills his promise to consume Joe's power via manbun. Wasn't that the plot to Avatar?

Have they mentioned that tribe name in the show at all? Didn't know they had a sewing kit either, wonder if anyone actually does anything with it.

If you watch these clips on youtube proper, the algorithm quickly pushes you to older and more beloved seasons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTq_Eewjct4
This extinction season could really have benefitted from a Randy and Sugar.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 6, 2019

nerox
May 20, 2001

Khanstant posted:

Hahaha wow, well I hope when Joe weasels back into the game, Gavin finally fulfills his promise to consume Joe's power via manbun. Wasn't that the plot to Avatar?

Have they mentioned that tribe name in the show at all? Didn't know they had a sewing kit either, wonder if anyone actually does anything with it.

If you watch these clips on youtube proper, the algorithm quickly pushes you to older and more beloved seasons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTq_Eewjct4
This extinction season could really have benefitted from a Randy and Sugar.

I wish they would bring back the auction and the pecking order challenges to rewards. :sigh:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They think the auction is broken. They're probably right if they can't help but include advantages other than food.

I wonder if challenges for the season are chosen more in the moment. One alliance is too big and it's going to be a straight pagonging? Pecking order challenge.

Blood vs Water 2 probably soured Jeff on it though. The dominant alliance politely discussing amongst each other who they will let win DURING the challenge.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I guess I need to see those seasons, all the ones Ive seen with pecking order and auction always seem to be good for poo poo stirring and excitement.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

auction hasn't been good for like the past dozen seasons.

only time it's got close was when Mike Holloway almost didn't take the $10 loved ones letters so he could MAX BUY the advantage, but then chickened out last minute.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

blue squares posted:

People who call themselves Wardog are usually bad at athletics and enjoy using fashion terms

Not Wardog, The Wardog. Insisting on including The at the beginning makes him even worse.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Zesty posted:

They all get posted weekly on their YouTube page after West Coast airing.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SurvivorOnCBS/videos

I usually always watch the Ponderosa vids but we're not getting them this season, presumably.

They used to do 20+ goddamn videos a week with a whole bunch of extra confessionals. It looks like they've really toned that down.

They hide the 20+ videos on CBS all-Access now, there is this channel 'outwit outplay outlast' that uploads em on youtube though

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Lone Goat posted:

only time it's got close was when Mike Holloway almost didn't take the $10 loved ones letters so he could MAX BUY the advantage, but then chickened out last minute.

The auction used to be a reliable source of entertainment, and then they started introducing game advantages and it became a lovely recurring extended scene of someone narrating about how All That Food Was Tempting But I'm Focused On Winning This Game So I Saved All My Money And Got That Advantage

Beyond just being a silly good time, the good thing about the auction (and pecking order challenges, and picking people to go on rewards) is that it can insert a level of human emotion into the strategy that isn't overtly based on pure game dynamics. It's fun when someone decides to flip on someone based on petty bullshit, or when someone has to try to manage the fallout of a reward result to keep their game in tact.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lone Goat posted:

He didn't chicken out, he got called out on it so he didn't buy the letter to try to not be a total pariah.

I mean, it still didn't work and he was pretty much alone til the Dan vote, and even after that still pretty much on his own til FTC.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Seems like it would be trivial to do an auction... without the advantage element. How many years has it been since anybody had to eat something yucky anyway? Bring back that too lol

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The auction is fun but it seemed to get "broken" once the savvier players realized you just don't buy anything and wait for the reward. Then I think they started just putting the reward up front so they could get out of the way and then just did one auction where there was no reward and like no one bought anything? Basically it seemed to shift and lose its fun once the Survivors shifted away from "old school" players making the most of their experience to "new school" players in 24/7 game mode.

I would like to see it back with Jeff saying "Ok, there's absolutely no rewards or prizes or powers in this auction except food so just have some loving fun for an hour, you nerds." But I imagine that would just end up hollow and a lot of fans would complain that it was a waste of time. So whatever.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Maybe work in some "social experiment" stuff that we are missing from the old times. Something that doesn't give them an advantage, but some kind of opportunity to make an rear end of themselves or change up dynamics without it being straight up "second idol" or "advantage in challenge" or the worst "clue people already had and long since figured out." Or put each other up for auction, buy your custom tribe!?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JesusSinfulHands posted:

They hide the 20+ videos on CBS all-Access now, there is this channel 'outwit outplay outlast' that uploads em on youtube though

yeah this is what I use, here's a link to the channel

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Maybe a pre-merge auction that lets you like alternate between personal prizes like food, tribe prizes, and some stuff that could gently caress the other tribe over. That would theoretically isolate the gamebots who refuse to bid on anything because they want to max out a possible personal advantage (and even potentially bring a spotlight and target on themselves), have more people in play meaning more silly bidding wars for a peanut butter sandwich, you get in before alliances really set in so less open loving with things and more potential to put a target on your alliance if you work together, and some potential drama across tribal lines.

It also might help get us to know some people quicker as we get a taste of their personalities and see them socializing. Like I'm thinking of that thing they did in Amazon and Heroes vs Villains that had everyone flirting and goofing around with each other. We've never seen that since but that kind of thing can be fun and narratively satisfying to display characters.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Khanstant posted:

Seems like it would be trivial to do an auction... without the advantage element. How many years has it been since anybody had to eat something yucky anyway? Bring back that too lol

They did one a couple seasons ago but ya I think it's been a while otherwise. I remember it because Angela(?) was being super obnoxious as she was beating that Michael guy (18 year old kid who hit the genetic lottery) who was way on the outs.

As for the auction it'd be cool if they just forced it in with no game rewards for a few seasons. I don't see how anybody could complain about it replacing a boring reward challenge.

freeman fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 7, 2019

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Auctions were great and they should bring them back. If there's a problem with the advantages then the pretty simple solution is to not sell them and tell everyone it's only food/utility stuff.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

someone give me an example of an entertaining auction aside from HE'S A JEW HE WON'T EAT THE HAM from the past decade

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

freeman posted:

They did one a couple seasons ago but ya I think it's been a while otherwise. I remember it because Angela(?) was being super obnoxious as she was beating that Michael guy (18 year old kid who hit the genetic lottery) who was way on the outs.

As for the auction it'd be cool if they just forced it in with no game rewards for a few seasons. I don't see how anybody could complain about it replacing a boring reward challenge.

Wasn't an auction, was the 'gross food eating' challenge.

It was weird more because I think all the girls and Sebastian had their had tied up in tiny buns.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Lone Goat posted:

someone give me an example of an entertaining auction aside from HE'S A JEW HE WON'T EAT THE HAM from the past decade

Last 30 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw_LhkT9rH0

edit: Great now I just spent 30 minutes watching all the Survivor auctions from that playlist

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 7, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Ooh. Gross food. I want another one of those. More of those all the time. Stick it in different places each season. Early on, late. Whatever. Make it the merge challenge.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I still love showing people who don't care about Survivor the clip of the challenge where they have to use only their mouths to rip meat off a stuck pig. Shqwik

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

ApplesandOranges posted:

Wasn't an auction, was the 'gross food eating' challenge.

It was weird more because I think all the girls and Sebastian had their had tied up in tiny buns.

Ya I know. Sounds like he was asking when the last gross food challenge happened so I answered.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Zesty posted:

When's the date on that? I'm vaguely interesting in watching it but not sure if we should have a new thread or if it's after the season.

TV IV › Survivor Presents - The Amazing Race, Featuring Survivors

I don't want to derail this thread either, but from her new CBS bio:

Corinne Kaplan posted:

What is the accomplishment you are most proud of?
Survivor. Not the show per se, but the accomplishment of not becoming either a real estate agent or a yoga instructor afterward.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
If they ever do another Auction they need to use one of the two auction twists they used in the last two Australian Survivor seasons.

In AU 2017: first item was a covered item; the winner of that item was out of the auction but got to sit at a separate side table and got a copy of every single item for the rest of the auction. That person gorged themselves on an absurd amount of food and even got a copy of the advantage when it came out.

In AU2018, to subvert expectations: first item was again a covered item. This time the winner also bought themselves out of the auction and had to sit at a separate side table, but they did NOT get anything automatically. Instead they were at the "Beggar's Table" and were the only person at the auction the other players could share with, so each auction winner had to decide what amount (if any) of their food to give them.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Last 30 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw_LhkT9rH0

edit: Great now I just spent 30 minutes watching all the Survivor auctions from that playlist

i said within the last decade, micronesia was 2008

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Binary Logic posted:

Hahaha is that really a trend? I mean I've seen quite a few "yoga instructor" cast members but didn't know it was a post-survivor epidemic. I'm also amused to see someone else with a general disdain for real estate agents.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Are Corinne and Eliza actually friends or is that team a meltdown waiting to happen

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Binary Logic posted:

Corinne is great. I'd pick her podcast back up if she'd stop doing all of the audience engagement and just talked about herself and Survivor.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Zesty posted:

Corinne is great.

:chloe:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Sugar > Corinne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Khanstant posted:

Yeah it'd be easy or you could just hide an advantage at the bottom of someone's spaghetti or something, and someone just lucks into it that way, which Australian Survivor does. Either way the auction still "works" and US Survivor is just being dumb about it.

Lone Goat posted:

Australian Survivor both of its last two seasons. i see mancalamania beat me to it and used spoiler tags so yeah this:

mancalamania posted:

If they ever do another Auction they need to use one of the two auction twists they used in the last two Australian Survivor seasons.

In AU 2017: first item was a covered item; the winner of that item was out of the auction but got to sit at a separate side table and got a copy of every single item for the rest of the auction. That person gorged themselves on an absurd amount of food and even got a copy of the advantage when it came out.

In AU2018, to subvert expectations: first item was again a covered item. This time the winner also bought themselves out of the auction and had to sit at a separate side table, but they did NOT get anything automatically. Instead they were at the "Beggar's Table" and were the only person at the auction the other players could share with, so each auction winner had to decide what amount (if any) of their food to give them.
Pure joy watching that innocent fun stuff :allears:

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 8, 2019