Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Acute Grill posted:

No collab. The Aquabats just told them to put on the costumes and the McElroys were too polite to question it or say no.

https://www.facebook.com/13162339291/posts/10157213644939292?sfns=cl

This feels like crossing the streams somehow. It’ll likely just be bit parts, but I’m super down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm sure this has been said before, but those of you who want funny D&D content, "Not Another D&D Podcast" is really quite good.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'll call it significantly better than the adventure zone in its current form and even some of balance. It starts out rough though. Power through it.

Another one I like is Dragon Friends. A bunch of young Australian comedians playing D&D for an audience every week. Humor is dryer but the comedic timing is flawless.

Edit: eh gently caress it might as well list the other ones I listen to.

Drunks and Dragons has a stronger "nerd" appeal but has a fundamental focus on humor. None of them are professional comedians but you think a couple of them could be. They often use references to anime and are very inclusive like the McElroys.

Nerd Poker is Brian Posehn's DnD podcast. They're pretty light on the humor but you can tell they still have fun. Their focus seems to be more gag humor like play on words and dad jokes. Though I've heard them land 3 9/11 jokes in a row so they have their moments. It's all original humor though. Their audio is atrocious in the beginning but you can always start on a different season without losing the plot. I'd recommend starting on Season 2 as a result.

Honorable mention: Critical role is the OG DnD podcast. I don't listen to it but I want to. As you can see I have quite a large schedule of podcasts so I don't see much available time to, especially when I add non-DnD podcasts.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 6, 2019

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
NADDPOD feels like the improved sequel to Balance, where they really figured out the mechanics and managed to balance the jokes and story better. Its the Brotherhood to Balances AssCreed 1

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I'm sure this has been said before, but those of you who want funny D&D content, "Not Another D&D Podcast" is really quite good.

Is that the one where they graphically murder a guy in a really detailed way in the first few episodes? Or am i thinking of another podcast this thread talked about?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Is that the one where they graphically murder a guy in a really detailed way in the first few episodes? Or am i thinking of another podcast this thread talked about?

They decapitated like 4 enemies in the first episode and the little boy character likes to collect teeth, but I don't remember it being too graphic or detailed aside from that.

It has Caldwell from Drawfee in it, that's what ultimately got me on board!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the 'worst' NADDPOD gets is like, the druid being a mushroom druid who talks about killing people with spores and junk and general 'I cut his head off gently caress yea Fighter poo poo' stuff, hardly 'graphic murder'

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I don't want to dissuade anyone because NaddPod is probably my favourite podcast right now, but while its not graphically violent, we probably shouldn't be coy - they talk about dragon genitalia for like ten to fifteen minutes in episode one.

Its not really creepy. Its funny, and the show never really gets that blue again, but its worth knowing before you start. They did a re-listen to episode one for patreon subscribers, and the main takeaway from it was "Wow, I can't believe people listened to this show after we spent the first part of the first episode almost talking about dragon pussy."

NaddPod thread is here, by the way.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 6, 2019

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Not Operator posted:

I don't want to dissuade anyone because NaddPod is probably my favourite podcast right now, but while its not graphically violent, we probably shouldn't be coy - they talk about dragon genitalia for like ten to fifteen minutes in episode one.

Its not really creepy. Its funny, and the show never really gets that blue again, but its worth knowing before you start. They did a re-listen to episode one for patreon subscribers, and the main takeaway from it was "Wow, I can't believe people listened to this show after we spent the first part of the first episode almost talking about dragon pussy."

NaddPod thread is here, by the way.

We're talking about it in a thread related to The Adventure Zone, though. It's about the same in those regards.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Yeah, I guess that's no worse than the jizz tunnel, actually.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Not Operator posted:

Or rolling to see if they're turned on by Killian being stuck to the wall with spider webbing. (I forget whether it was Travis or Justin who did that)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Not Operator posted:

It's a whole jizz cave, baby!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
You think Justin ever got Emmy considerations for his big emotional moment at the end of the TV show?

Sometimes I like to think there's an Emmy just hidden away somewhere in his house. He just kept it on the down low.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shinjobi posted:

You think Justin ever got Emmy considerations for his big emotional moment at the end of the TV show?

Sometimes I like to think there's an Emmy just hidden away somewhere in his house. He just kept it on the down low.

I think that you have to submit your show yourself to be considered for an Emmy

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Ever since those TV show eps got uploaded, now Youtube is like OH HEY LOOK ITS MCELROY CONTENT YOU LIKE THAT RIGHT so I end up watching the episodes all over again even though I've seen them already and could get them elsewhere. They're still funny as hell.

Holy poo poo, just give these boys another season.

COME ON

DO IT

gently caress

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My guess is there's some sort of licensing issue. I remember Griffin mentioning doing another show pretty sarcastically while laughing. So there is definitely some sort of problem. I could be sensationalizing it. It could just be a scheduling problem. They're very busy people.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's scheduling not licensing

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I guess it's not as lucrative as what they do now.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

thexerox123 posted:

They decapitated like 4 enemies in the first episode and the little boy character likes to collect teeth, but I don't remember it being too graphic or detailed aside from that.

It has Caldwell from Drawfee in it, that's what ultimately got me on board!

That all sounds fine, I must have been thinking of something else, I'll check them out!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

um excuse me posted:

I guess it's not as lucrative as what they do now.

writing, organizing, and filming a television show is a pretty huge project

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
They were being wooed pretty hard by Seeso, from how they talked about it at the time, and they still took over a year to commit and actually come up with an idea for it. Filming seemed to take it out of them, and then Seeso died almost immediately after. My guess is they wont pursue another show too hard unless another network comes and begs them to do it.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

um excuse me posted:

My guess is there's some sort of licensing issue. I remember Griffin mentioning doing another show pretty sarcastically while laughing. So there is definitely some sort of problem. I could be sensationalizing it. It could just be a scheduling problem. They're very busy people.

I think the joke around that was more of an "I can't believe they let us do this".

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Shinjobi posted:

I just rewatched the tv show last night and the entire last part from the start of the Candlenights show to Justin’s moment had me tearing up. They’re just nice guys getting to do something fun for a living, and making a positive impact on their home town with the MBMBAM Angels and stuff. Good luck to the good bois.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
All they have to do is start a podcast called There Will Be A MBMBaM Season 2 and it will spring into existence

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Colonel Whitey posted:

All they have to do is start a podcast called There Will Be A MBMBaM Season 2 and it will spring into existence

That's not how it works. First, they have create a vision board for their goals and intentions. Then they can start a podcast documenting the series of events that contributed to the realization of their goal.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

creationist believer posted:

That's not how it works. First, they have create a vision board for their goals and intentions. Then they can start a podcast documenting the series of events that contributed to the realization of their goal.

Actually as I recall the first step is to get high on edibles in a hotel room

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The hosed up part of the TV show was how they filmed enough poo poo for hour long episodes but Seeso were all 'nah thanks make them 30 mins' and now I'll never have the full context for the scene where they talk about 'kid energy'

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So in the comments for one of the episodes, I found out that Mayor Williams and Clint were roommates in college, which explains a whole loving lot.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

So in the comments for one of the episodes, I found out that Mayor Williams and Clint were roommates in college, which explains a whole loving lot.

I loving knew there was something. "They are their father's sons" was such a familiar statement.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I figured that was just because Clint was a somewhat well-known radio DJ so people in Huntington knew him.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Does this mean Mayor Williams took part in dividing up all of that one roommate's poo poo when he "disappeared" under mysterious circumstances? This is a scandal that could bring down an entire administration.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What's that about?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RandomPauI posted:

What's that about?

Clint told a story once about how he had a roomie in college who went on vacation or something and just never came back to school, so he and his other roomates just divided the dude's stuff up once it was clear he wasn't coming back.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I've been behind on TAZ and by extension TTAZZ. Are they going to mix in non-Balance arc live shows?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Pastrymancy posted:

I've been behind on TAZ and by extension TTAZZ. Are they going to mix in non-Balance arc live shows?

They haven't definitively said what they'll do, but what they did say is:
-Griff may be running out of steam on ideas for one-offs for the Balance characters
-There's a tension between that and the fact that the Balance characters are who audiences pay to see.
-Live shows might be a place to try one-session games like Four Sherlocks and Honey Heist

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm just disappointed that mbmbam doesn't have a companion show called My My Brother My Brother and Me and Me

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
https://twitter.com/McElroyFamily/status/1115288622574575616?s=19

"*Please note that The Adventure Zone shows on this tour may not feature a story from the Balance arc."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Toebone posted:

https://twitter.com/McElroyFamily/status/1115288622574575616?s=19

"*Please note that The Adventure Zone shows on this tour may not feature a story from the Balance arc."

Things I'm fine with: The Adventure Zone shows trying something new outside of the balance arc, glad they're shaking things up and trying something new!

Thing's I'm not fine with: None of these lives shows are anywhere near me so I can't go see them :negative:

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
drat, I may need to go to both those first shows. If I manage to get tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Oh back in Orlando again. Nice. Maybe they'll visit Chicken Guy before the show.

Re: the TAZ disclaimer. Maybe they should actually say which shows will or won't be Balance before tickets go on sale. Can you imagine not knowing and just hoping they do Balance?

I could foresee people getting upset during the actual show.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 8, 2019