Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'm dreading the day they force the switch from Google Music > Youtube Music.

And that'll be the day I start using Spotify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

BisterdDave posted:

The ability to upload your own music, and ad-free youtube have kept me from switching to Spotify. I've also thought about rolling my own Plex based music library since I already do that for movies but...the plex app really sucks for music.

I have too much lovely metal that's not offered on Spotify/GPM that I've uploaded to GPM over the years.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

BisterdDave posted:

I may start using MediaMonkey's transfer protocols or hosting a Plex music server.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I saw an article headline the other day that the seemingly-frequent shutting down of Google services is hurting their brand. I can't say I disagree, but to a point. I mean, I use chrome on my phone, I'm only going with Android, I use various Gmail addresses, and I have 2 Google homes. But when they roll out some website/service, I can't help but immediately wonder how long it's going to last.

I’m the opposite: went from using most of their products to only using YouTube and that is mostly without logging in. When I’m done transferring emails I’ll just delete my Google account completely and probably ditch Android altogether. But even though it’s mainly due to privacy, even a year back before I started this I felt unlikely to give their new products a try because why even bother? I feel like Stadia might fail just because of this unfavourable reputation of Google on the whole even though I’m sure the state of Internet in the US will contribute massively as well.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm currently listening to a purchased FLAC album which I transfer as files in a folder. It's pretty lonely on this hill, but I am willing to die on it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I saw an article headline the other day that the seemingly-frequent shutting down of Google services is hurting their brand. I can't say I disagree, but to a point. I mean, I use chrome on my phone, I'm only going with Android, I use various Gmail addresses, and I have 2 Google homes. But when they roll out some website/service, I can't help but immediately wonder how long it's going to last.

Article in case anyone wants to read it or the comments.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04/googles-constant-product-shutdowns-are-damaging-its-brand/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ola posted:

I'm currently listening to a purchased FLAC album which I transfer as files in a folder. It's pretty lonely on this hill, but I am willing to die on it.

I buy Blu-rays to rip to a private server to watch at home. I've followed two TV shows digitally, everything else is physical.

I buy most music digitally, but immediately download the mp3s. Most of my listening is either at home or in the car from those files.

Comics and video games I buy digitally, but that's because they are so cheap. ComiXology or Steam shutting down will be a sad day.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Ola posted:

I share your conviction. Music is too important to me to trust to third parties. I want my music on my storage.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Oh, so many albums that I delicately MP3Tag'd and organized into the perfect folder structure for Rockbox, back in 2007. So many 144x144 bitmap images of the album cover art sitting in the folders instead of being embedded. Every track that was released as a single, tricked out with the cover from that release (if it was any loving good, anyway.) I had every Muse album just on the strength of how coherent all of their cover art looks when you scroll through it.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

BisterdDave posted:

If I wasn't still getting the early adopter discount, I'd have probably already done so.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Eikre posted:

Oh, so many albums that I delicately MP3Tag'd and organized into the perfect folder structure for Rockbox, back in 2007. So many 144x144 bitmap images of the album cover art sitting in the folders instead of being embedded. Every track that was released as a single, tricked out with the cover from that release (if it was any loving good, anyway.) I had every Muse album just on the strength of how coherent all of their cover art looks when you scroll through it.

I spent some time replacing my album art with high res versions a couple years ago, but joke's on me cause my car doesn't seem to like some of the large files and doesn't display the artwork half the time.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Figure this is a better place than the general Android thread.

So I have a Galaxy Note 8, and it has an Always on Display which is handy (for glancing at the time without turning it on). There is one thing I really *don't* like about the screen in this state, though: if I pull it out of my pocket or pick it up while the screen is off, and my fingers are near where the Home button is located, it immediately turns on the screen. Prior to a very recent major system update, I had this disabled but cannot for the life of me find out how. Is there an app folks recommend which could do this?

A second one while I'm here: it has a Bixby button, which I totally disabled in the past. I recall that the Bixby application let you actually disable it or something to that extent. Well, following the system update, it's back and I don't think I can disable it. Any suggestions? :( Thanks in advance.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Geop posted:

Figure this is a better place than the general Android thread.

So I have a Galaxy Note 8, and it has an Always on Display which is handy (for glancing at the time without turning it on). There is one thing I really *don't* like about the screen in this state, though: if I pull it out of my pocket or pick it up while the screen is off, and my fingers are near where the Home button is located, it immediately turns on the screen. Prior to a very recent major system update, I had this disabled but cannot for the life of me find out how. Is there an app folks recommend which could do this?

A second one while I'm here: it has a Bixby button, which I totally disabled in the past. I recall that the Bixby application let you actually disable it or something to that extent. Well, following the system update, it's back and I don't think I can disable it. Any suggestions? :( Thanks in advance.

For the home button: settings, navigation bar, unlock with home button?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm trying to set up a Tasker profile to turn my phone to vibrate while it's connected to my work's wifi. I created the profile for "state" and chose "wifi" connected" and chose the SSID. I then attached a task to set vibrate mode to vibrate, and added an exit task to turn vibrate mode off. If I run the tasks manually, they do what I expect, but the profile isn't triggering. It's been a long time since I've done much with Tasker; what am I forgetting?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ironically that was suggested to me in my Google feed. Ron, of course is not wrong.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'm dreading the day they force the switch from Google Music > Youtube Music.

The YouTube Music app is so astoundingly bad. Remember when Google re-launched it as though it was ready for prime time then everyone was like "Hey, this is absolute dog poo poo" and they promised in August regular updates every two weeks with progress reports on how they're improving it and then they just never did that and it's still poop from a butt?

That having been said, I've had to use the Spotify app to listen to the Crimetown podcast and good lord, if this is state of the art for music apps then maybe I should just give up music. The Spotify app is what you'd get if you had a race of deaf aliens who had no concept of sound come up with a way to listen to music. There's no way I'd ever pay for such trash.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The Ars article on the death of Inbox helped me realize that it was a better app at launch in 2014 than Gmail is today. You can't expect a wholesale revamp for something with such a massive existing user-base, but the g-team had four and a half years to poach the easy quality-of-life stuff and they still didn't manage it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Dark One posted:

The Ars article on the death of Inbox helped me realize that it was a better app at launch in 2014 than Gmail is today. You can't expect a wholesale revamp for something with such a massive existing user-base, but the g-team had four and a half years to poach the easy quality-of-life stuff and they still didn't manage it.

They were certainly in a difficult position of their own creation. Here they made a skin that was radically different from the one in production for their existing product, a product which is one their most important and most used.

On the one hand, yes, some of that stuff wouldn't be *that* hard to incorporate, particularly if, as they eventually did, they were going to modernize the UI anyway. Stuff like content cards, tracking links, bill due dates--that stuff is and was already partially pulled out into the inbox view already and it's baffling that such things weren't included with the UI revision.

On the other hand, some of it, like bundling and actions like that, just don't mesh with the direction GMail had moved in especially once they did that stupid Priority Inbox garbage.

Now you've got a problem where you'd got half the user base doing one thing and the other half doing another, each incompatible with the other, and all of them highly allergic to changes. From the get go there was never any way they could've put Inbox features and workflow into the standard GMail client, think about how goons react if the font changes on the forums. You have goons still today running Stylish modifications so that the forums look like they did a decade ago, Google was not going to get everyone to switch to using bundles.

So what exactly were they supposed to do? Maintain the Inbox skin and workflow forever? Gradually trickle in features into the main GMail client until it could support both workflows, even in G Suite settings? Again, I wholly concede that not only was this a dilemma they themselves created but it was one that was foreseeable from the start, but given they chose the direction they did what is the "proper" way for them to extricate themselves from it?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 4, 2019

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

hooah posted:

I'm trying to set up a Tasker profile to turn my phone to vibrate while it's connected to my work's wifi. I created the profile for "state" and chose "wifi" connected" and chose the SSID. I then attached a task to set vibrate mode to vibrate, and added an exit task to turn vibrate mode off. If I run the tasks manually, they do what I expect, but the profile isn't triggering. It's been a long time since I've done much with Tasker; what am I forgetting?

Most phones these days have smart Wi-Fi which disconnects from your Wi-Fi when the phone is inactive for a while,at least from Taskers perspective. I had the same profile and ended up changing it to a location trigger.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

That having been said, I've had to use the Spotify app to listen to the Crimetown podcast and good lord, if this is state of the art for music apps then maybe I should just give up music. The Spotify app is what you'd get if you had a race of deaf aliens who had no concept of sound come up with a way to listen to music. There's no way I'd ever pay for such trash.
This is all correct, but you have to understand their design is based on the fact that the vast majority of users are on the free tier, so the SHUFFLE button has to be the most prominent feature on every screen as that is the only way they are allowed to listen to music. Paid users are actually second-class in terms of app design.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

This is all correct, but you have to understand their design is based on the fact that the vast majority of users are on the free tier, so the SHUFFLE button has to be the most prominent feature on every screen as that is the only way they are allowed to listen to music. Paid users are actually second-class in terms of app design.

I don't have it on my phone so I can't enumerate the problems with the design but two I think I remember is that the playback screen lacks times, so you have no idea how long something is or how much is left. The other I'm certain is true is that podcasts play newest to oldest no matter where you are in the list and they always autoplay the next one--which is of course the one just listened to before the episode you finished. I couldn't find any way to change it and it was absolutely infuriating on a long drive.

I thought nothing could be worse than the This American Life app for listening to podcasts but holy poo poo was I wrong.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

Ironically that was suggested to me in my Google feed. Ron, of course is not wrong.

The YouTube Music app is so astoundingly bad. Remember when Google re-launched it as though it was ready for prime time then everyone was like "Hey, this is absolute dog poo poo" and they promised in August regular updates every two weeks with progress reports on how they're improving it and then they just never did that and it's still poop from a butt?

It's starting to happen:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/4/18294991/google-play-artist-hub-shutdown-april-music-streaming-indie

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

If they force me to use that lovely YouTube music app I'm gone

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Looks like putting my music on my SD card and using PowerAmp was the right choice after all.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I switched to Spotify a few months ago and have not looked back at all. My only complaint is that I'm convinced Spotify's shuffle is biased towards songs you listen to more frequently.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
My problem with the Spotify app is that there's no way to clear the queue. Always gotta have something ready to play!! Sometimes I'm just done with an album, thanks, guys

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Glad I'm not alone in my hatred for the Spotify app. It couldn't even edit playlist order until July of last year!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Deathlove posted:

My problem with the Spotify app is that there's no way to clear the queue. Always gotta have something ready to play!! Sometimes I'm just done with an album, thanks, guys

I thought they fixed this a while ago. Perhaps only in the desktop client, I don't have an active sub at the moment to check. But you can definitely turn off that thing where it keeps playing random stuff after your album or playlist is done.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've been on Spotify premium for years and it's great and works fine?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I just buy all my music on Bandcamp :shrug:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Ola posted:

I thought they fixed this a while ago. Perhaps only in the desktop client, I don't have an active sub at the moment to check. But you can definitely turn off that thing where it keeps playing random stuff after your album or playlist is done.

You can do that, which is great, but I want a playlist/queue to disappear when it's done - if I play an album, I don't want it back at the start when I'm done, I want it gone. And there's still no Clear Queue button, even if I remove everything from my Queue, you can't have Nothing playing.

mango sentinel posted:

I just buy all my music on Bandcamp :shrug:

i mean, me too, but not all bands put their stuff there!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I think around 2011-ish I gave Spotify a try. Every song I streamed was somehow being downloaded to my phones internal storage as well (same thing happened to a friend who was using the app too). After about a week of using it my storage said Spotify was taking up ~1GB. Does it still do this, or was I stupid and forgot to uncheck some setting?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

BisterdDave posted:

I think around 2011-ish I gave Spotify a try. Every song I streamed was somehow being downloaded to my phones internal storage as well (same thing happened to a friend who was using the app too). After about a week of using it my storage said Spotify was taking up ~1GB. Does it still do this, or was I stupid and forgot to uncheck some setting?

Spotify caches songs as you play them to minimize data usage in case you want to listen to them again as well as to buffer if your mobile network is poor. It only keeps a certain number of the most recently played songs.

If you specifically tell it to make a song/songs available offline, it permanently caches those songs separately from the streaming cache, and keeps them indefinitely until you tell it to stop keeping them.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Annath posted:

Spotify caches songs as you play them to minimize data usage in case you want to listen to them again as well as to buffer if your mobile network is poor. It only keeps a certain number of the most recently played songs.

If you specifically tell it to make a song/songs available offline, it permanently caches those songs separately from the streaming cache, and keeps them indefinitely until you tell it to stop keeping them.

Is the option available to turn off storage caching all together? I have unlimited data and have never had to worry about my data usage.

Also I guess phone storage space has increased a lot more in the past 8 years, so I really shouldn't have to worry about that either if the app only caches a certain amount.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Medullah posted:

Most phones these days have smart Wi-Fi which disconnects from your Wi-Fi when the phone is inactive for a while,at least from Taskers perspective. I had the same profile and ended up changing it to a location trigger.

Thanks, that worked like a charm.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

For the home button: settings, navigation bar, unlock with home button?
Hmm. I found the setting but it's already disabled. I'll snoop around in google a bit more, since I now know the verbiage/wording to use for this.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
Half considering saying gently caress it and switch from Spotify to iTunes... Which is now on Android?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Guavatin posted:

Half considering saying gently caress it and switch from Spotify to iTunes... Which is now on Android?

Why?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
If you mean apple music, it is pretty bad on android

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I can't imagine why you'd want to switch away from Spotify, especially to something as bad as an apple product on a non-apple system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The more I use Spark, the less I like it. The notifications are really finicky and they don't re-update if emails are removed from someplace else.