Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

QuarkJets posted:

any idea why there's a rotted-out section of pipe or are we hoping that a little excavation will reveal a reason?

I got it scoped. It’s the line from my kitchen sink to the main drain. It runs down the basement wall and then under the foundation. When the house was built they didn’t put it at a slight decline like they should have. I discovered it when the kitchen sink started backing up if we were doing a lot of dishes. I augered the pipe and eventually started coming up with clay so sent a camera down it. I know where the hole is. I just don’t know if it’s the only hole or if spots before that are a few specks of rust away from also turning in to a hole.

I actually discovered it like two years ago but have been putting off fixing it because once I cleared it out it isn’t an issue day to day and I am not excited about putting a hole in my basement. It’s just gonna become a really big problem someday and I need to fix it at least one day before that. I’m running out of excuses though so intend to do it within the next few weeks.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thoguh posted:

I got it scoped. It’s the line from my kitchen sink to the main drain. It runs down the basement wall and then under the foundation. When the house was built they didn’t put it at a slight decline like they should have. I discovered it when the kitchen sink started backing up if we were doing a lot of dishes. I augered the pipe and eventually started coming up with clay so sent a camera down it. I know where the hole is. I just don’t know if it’s the only hole or if spots before that are a few specks of rust away from also turning in to a hole.

I actually discovered it like two years ago but have been putting off fixing it because once I cleared it out it isn’t an issue day to day and I am not excited about putting a hole in my basement. It’s just gonna become a really big problem someday and I need to fix it at least one day before that. I’m running out of excuses though so intend to do it within the next few weeks.

It's definitely not a "forever fix", but it sounds like you have the right access now......have you considered getting it lined?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I guess this isn't really about haunted houses. I am eyeing a house that looks like it's been in a time capsule since the 70's/80's. 50% of the previous owners died in the house. If the cabinets open themselves while viewing the property, I'm running.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
If you can get a good deal on it because of that, loving go for it.

My grandparents bought a house that the previous owner blew his brains out in. They got a hell of a deal.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
Anyone got pointers on what to use to remotely have control over lights in your house (if it matters I need to control the lights in a house in a different state)? My father-in-law just died and I would like to be able to randomly turn lights on and off at his (now vacant) house while I am dealing with things and before it gets sold.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jose Cuervo posted:

Anyone got pointers on what to use to remotely have control over lights in your house (if it matters I need to control the lights in a house in a different state)? My father-in-law just died and I would like to be able to randomly turn lights on and off at his (now vacant) house while I am dealing with things and before it gets sold.

For a temporary situation like this just go get some lamp timers.

But understand you're not fooling anyone.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Imho instead of trying to install some fancy IoT solution I would just set up a couple of mechanical light timers. Or you can spend some more money for a digital one, guess they even make them with random functionally these days: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076576DC8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.24QCbJCMRKSC

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Putting up some floating bookshelves and drilled through some wiring behind a stud.

Good news: I'm alive
Good news #2: Looks like the outlets in that room were daisy-chained one to the other and the line I hit looks like it is going to the last outlet in a chain which is one I don't care about.

Am I crazy for thinking I can just unwire/cap the wires coming out of the second to last outlet and the ones going into the last outlet and slap a blank faceplate over the last one? I'd rather not rip off a bunch of drywall trying to repair one line to get one outlet working.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

novamute posted:

Putting up some floating bookshelves and drilled through some wiring behind a stud.

Good news: I'm alive
Good news #2: Looks like the outlets in that room were daisy-chained one to the other and the line I hit looks like it is going to the last outlet in a chain which is one I don't care about.

Am I crazy for thinking I can just unwire/cap the wires coming out of the second to last outlet and the ones going into the last outlet and slap a blank faceplate over the last one? I'd rather not rip off a bunch of drywall trying to repair one line to get one outlet working.

If I were you I would cut enough drywall out to put a proper electrical box in there, and splice the wires together inside the box. You can then put a solid cover on it. Not much more work than what you were planning, it would satisfy code as far as I know, and your outlet would still work. I think they sell retrofit boxes that are able to install this way without having to patch any drywall afterwards (they definitely sell low voltage plastic ones like this, even using one of those would be better than nothing).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

novamute posted:

My big concern here is that you've compromised the wires inside the wall. Your solution should include some means of making as sure as reasonably possible that the wires don't get used by some hypothetical future owner who wants to run power to where that last outlet is.

I don't know what code is here, but I'd be inclined to say cap the wires, stick a label on them, and then shove them out of the junction box at both ends, then stick a blank faceplate on the last outlet.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Every homeowner needs to learn how to cut and repair drywall (or, for older homes, plaster) anyway. Now is a good time.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

We're in the process of getting our entire home painted while still living in it (horrible idea - do not recommend). While we have stuff off the top of cabinets in the kitchen, I was gonna do a thorough clean and put down some covering to protect them from getting gross from the poo poo that floats around when we're cooking. Any recommendations on cleaner and covering to protect? Just a standard degreaser + plastic?

Note that the tops are not visible to anyone. It was just disgusting up there (dust + grease accumulated over years) when I was taking things down to prep for the painters.

And yes, I know the ideal solution would be to install a range hood that vents outside, so nasty crap can't settle on the tops of the cabinets. It's on our wish list, but not in the plans right now.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Good-Natured Filth posted:

We're in the process of getting our entire home painted while still living in it (horrible idea - do not recommend). While we have stuff off the top of cabinets in the kitchen, I was gonna do a thorough clean and put down some covering to protect them from getting gross from the poo poo that floats around when we're cooking. Any recommendations on cleaner and covering to protect? Just a standard degreaser + plastic?

Note that the tops are not visible to anyone. It was just disgusting up there (dust + grease accumulated over years) when I was taking things down to prep for the painters.

And yes, I know the ideal solution would be to install a range hood that vents outside, so nasty crap can't settle on the tops of the cabinets. It's on our wish list, but not in the plans right now.

I would just grab some of the thin plastic sheeting usually used on the ground when painting. It's really thin, and usually comes in 3-5 packs in the painting section of any hardware store. If paint can't get through it I don't see how grease and such would.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

I would just grab some of the thin plastic sheeting usually used on the ground when painting. It's really thin, and usually comes in 3-5 packs in the painting section of any hardware store. If paint can't get through it I don't see how grease and such would.

Don't buy those sucker packs. Buy the 100x10' rolls for the same price as 2 of those packs and cut it to size with scissors.

Or just accept that the tops of your cabinets are nasty but out of sight. I think most people's are pretty nasty where they get up there once a year on average.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Every homeowner needs to learn how to cut and repair drywall (or, for older homes, plaster) anyway. Now is a good time.

Speaking of, what do folks in the thread generally do for drywall repair?

The few times I've had to cut a hole, I've just reattached the cut-out section, spackled along the edges, sprayed on some similar-ish looking tetxure (in my case, knockdown that I'm not great at reproducing), and then painted

But there have also been 2 times where I couldn't do that, for instance one time because it was all water-damaged due to a leak in the ceiling. For that I went to my local Ace Hardware and found that they sell small drywall panels, about 2'x2'; in each case I just cut it to the right size and then attached it as though I had the original piece. This requires more texturing and doesn't look super good (because I'm not good at making knockdown texture that looks exactly like what's actually on my walls/ceiling) but it works.

Do others in the thread patch drywall similar to me? Part of me wonders if I should buy actual joint compound instead of spackle. But I've never used joint compound and at my hardware store is only seems to come in big quantities

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a drywall guy but that's just me.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
My father in law taught my wife how to patch drywall when we bought our lovely house, so she just muds and sands until it is smooth. IDK what we'd would do if it were an orange peel wall.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Last night I learned that small toddler socks can, if they so choose, sneak past the washing machine drum and make it all the way to the drain pump impeller, seizing the impeller and leaving a washer full of water that will never drain.

It's the joys of home ownership AND parenting all wrapped in to one!

Took forever to drain the water out... procedure is to crack the trap/filter access cover and let the water trickle out through the treads while you vacuum it up. Combine that with a tiny 1/2 gallon wet/dry vac and I was probably vacuuming for a good half hour before it was drained enough. Pulled at least 3 gallons out of there.

So PSA: put infant/toddler socks in a mesh laundry bag before washing them...

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

therobit posted:

My father in law taught my wife how to patch drywall when we bought our lovely house, so she just muds and sands until it is smooth. IDK what we'd would do if it were an orange peel wall.

This stuff

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homax-20-oz-Wall-Orange-Peel-Low-Odor-Water-Based-Spray-Texture-4092-06/100154309

Works ok at reproducing the orange peel look on walls.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Do others in the thread patch drywall similar to me? Part of me wonders if I should buy actual joint compound instead of spackle. But I've never used joint compound and at my hardware store is only seems to come in big quantities

One hot tip is to cut the replacement piece slightly larger than the hole, and then trace the replacement piece's outline and re-cut the hole to match it perfectly. Put 2 of the longest furring strips (1x2) inside the hole you can, and anchor the new piece to the old wall/ceiling with screws through both into the strips.

I then usually tape and use joint compound. You can get powder versions that mix with water so you don't waste an entire tub (it dries out in a few months) for a simple repair, but you should experiment with it first to get an idea of how much water to add. Peanut butter is a rough approximation.

Other than that, expect to sand way more than a professional would have to in order to get it smooth. I typically use a oscillating multi tool with a sanding pad to save my arms. Get a really bright light that you can shine on the spot from many different angles to see where the imperfections are that need to be re-mudded and re-sanded.

Definitely not how the pros do it so quickly, but as an amateur drywall hacker, I can at least get it done with this procedure good enough to not be noticeable after painting.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

B-Nasty posted:

Put 2 of the longest furring strips (1x2) inside the hole you can, and anchor the new piece to the old wall/ceiling with screws through both into the strips.

My friend let me introduce you to something life changing:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wal-Board-Tools-Drywall-Repair-Clip-6-Pack-54-014/202015408

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
California patches are free though.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

I haven't had a ton of luck with butterfly/California patches, especially with larger holes. I tend to find it hard to seat the replacement piece perfectly flush in the hole, probably due to my over-pressure on the knife putting on mud. Works great for small holes in walls, though.

I think I also am just paranoid that that repair leaves a much weaker spot in the wall. It always seems like slight pressure on the patch would crack the paper around it and result in it opening up again. I've never actually tried this out, however.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Sweet. I was googling yesterday trying to figure out what the name was for the texture on my walls and this is gonna save me a lot of headache I think.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

novamute posted:

Sweet. I was googling yesterday trying to figure out what the name was for the texture on my walls and this is gonna save me a lot of headache I think.

It's expensive, but works in a pinch. I've used the Knockdown one before as my houses have a Monterrey drag type texture.

I patch normally I guess, but sand the texture off for a few inches around the repair, and then re texture the entire area. It helps hide the repair better. If you have a knockdown type texture you can also use a sponge or some other method. When I didn't want to pay for a 15 dollar can of that stuff, I used some thinned patch compound and a plastic bag to blop it on there and knock it down.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I have a drywall guy but it's just me.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Mr. Powers posted:

I guess this isn't really about haunted houses. I am eyeing a house that looks like it's been in a time capsule since the 70's/80's. 50% of the previous owners died in the house. If the cabinets open themselves while viewing the property, I'm running.

Just get ghoul insurance you'll be fine

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I use this brand, but with knockdown texture. It works pretty well

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Mud and taping is a time well spent. I did a wall patch when I first moved in using a California patch and it sucked. Then I tore my basement down to the studs and rebuilt it. After that I redid the patch and it went from kindergarten noodle art to a loving picasso

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My last house was on a slab and where the drain stack from upstairs came down through a living room wall into the slab, the outer radius of the pipe ate into the plane of the wall by about 1/4”. When the house was built, I think they just bent the drywall over it, and since the curve was gentle enough it didn’t really stand out.

We pulled the carpet out to put in engineered wood, and I noticed the rotted tack strips.

I cut the drywall out but couldn’t find the leak anywhere. There didn’t seem to be any liquid running down the pipe. After running every upstairs faucet for several minutes I finally saw water bubbling up between the concrete and the pipe.

We got a plumber out and he broke up the slab to get further into the pipe. There was a nail through the pipe BELOW the slab level. It had eventually rusted out and let water get between the pipe and slab. They installed the pipe without a sleeve or anything.

Anyway, fixing the drywall was a nightmare. If I were replacing the entire 4x8 panel I could gently bend it like it was originally, but I was just doing a patch over a pipe that extended into the plane of the drywall. It never looked right after that.

I have no idea how the gently caress a nail got through there. Must have been some wild times back in the early 90s when the development went up.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
Is this the right thread to ask about water softeners? More specifically, is it normal for a water softener to use about 230 gallons per night? It's set to regen nightly. I starting tracking down what might be causing a leak in the middle of the night and after eliminating everything else, I believe it's because the water softener is set to regen at 2am (and the city shows us using a lot of water nightly between 2 and 3am). I did find that we were out of potassium so I refilled the container. Does running out of medium (potassium in our case) trigger extra water being used in the regen process? Is it normal to regen nightly and use a ton of water?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Yes, water softeners use a good amount of water when regenerating. Figure out how many gallons of water it can soften before needing to regenerate and program it to only regenerate as often as you estimate yourself using that amount. Many newer systems actually measure water usage and only regenerate when approaching their limit.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

230 gallons daily seems really high. It depends on a lot of factors, but I highly doubt your system is so large that it actually needs to use that volume of water to regenerate every night.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Water softeners use 50-150 gallons per regeneration, and regeneration should run every 1500-3000 gallons of water used (5-10 days probably) depending on how hard your water is. If yours is using 200+ gallons every night then something is wrong with it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20101007181800/http://www.watervalue.com/softener_regen_water_usage.html

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mizaq posted:

Is this the right thread to ask about water softeners? More specifically, is it normal for a water softener to use about 230 gallons per night? It's set to regen nightly. I starting tracking down what might be causing a leak in the middle of the night and after eliminating everything else, I believe it's because the water softener is set to regen at 2am (and the city shows us using a lot of water nightly between 2 and 3am). I did find that we were out of potassium so I refilled the container. Does running out of medium (potassium in our case) trigger extra water being used in the regen process? Is it normal to regen nightly and use a ton of water?

yeah that's not right at all.

Depending on the age of the water softener, it should be on a timer for regen, or demand based regeneration. Mine regenerates every 14 days, or when I've come close to using it's capacity to soften water.

Why are you using Potassium?

If it's a really old model it is probably worth replacing, or just bypassing.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
The softener came with the house and Costco sells potassium by the bag for softeners. I had it checked out professionally when we moved in, haven't touched it since except to once clean the medium container, and refill it every so often. It hasn't always been using that much water, at least according to the city's hourly records from my meter going back a year or more (I didn't look further back than last November).

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Is there a medical reason you're using Potassium Chloride instead of Salt in the water softener? Potassium is like 30 bucks a bag. Salt is 5 or 6. The only people I know that use Potassium are old people on severely salt restricted diets. Even then it's cheaper to just use bottled water for cooking, or buy an RO system, instead of putting Potassium through a water softener.

Without knowing what kind of water softener you have and how it works, we can't offer any advice.

Do any of these look familiar? https://www.softenerparts.com/Identify_Brand_of_Control_Valve_s/21.htm

The tanks are not important. The control valve is where everything important happens. A name, model number, something like that would be useful.

Something is causing the softener to regenerate more than necessary and probably for longer, my guess is something is broken on the control valve.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
How do I lawn? What do I need to know about lawn maintenance/upkeep? Mine's not very large (probably 0.25 acres), but what should I be doing other than mowing? And what mower should I get?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

How do I lawn? What do I need to know about lawn maintenance/upkeep? Mine's not very large (probably 0.25 acres), but what should I be doing other than mowing? And what mower should I get?

Hire someone. It's like a housekeeper but outside. We have 0.015 acres of grass (and like triple that in yard, the rest is California native plants) and we hire it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah dude. Just pay someone to deal with it. It’s not an effective use of your time.