Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I want to return my TCL 55" cuz I hate the dirty screen effect. I've had it for about a month. What's the best route to do that? I ordered it from Rakuten (because I could use enough points to make the whole purchase $75) so I'd rather deal with TCL directly.... just interested in others experience and possible pitfalls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

BonoMan posted:

I want to return my TCL 55" cuz I hate the dirty screen effect. I've had it for about a month. What's the best route to do that? I ordered it from Rakuten (because I could use enough points to make the whole purchase $75) so I'd rather deal with TCL directly.... just interested in others experience and possible pitfalls.

You can't 'return' a product to the manufacturer, only the retailer. The only thing the manufacturer will do is warranty service, which usually results in a replacement if they deem an issue serious enough to qualify for the warranty.

Your only option may be to go through Rakuten, if your return period hasn't ended. You can try the TCL warranty route, but do you even want another of the same unit?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Something Offal posted:

You can't 'return' a product to the manufacturer, only the retailer. The only thing the manufacturer will do is warranty service, which usually results in a replacement if they deem an issue serious enough to qualify for the warranty.

Your only option may be to go through Rakuten, if your return period hasn't ended. You can try the TCL warranty route, but do you even want another of the same unit?

I would if it didn't have the dirty screen effect. Love it otherwise. And by "return" to TCL, I was referring to warranty service. Just using the word return pretty vaguely.

edit: I'm going to go home and take a pic of it at lunch. It seems pretty significantly worse than most of those I see online.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 4, 2019

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

BonoMan posted:

I would if it didn't have the dirty screen effect. Love it otherwise. And by "return" to TCL, I was referring to warranty service. Just using the word return pretty vaguely.

edit: I'm going to go home and take a pic of it at lunch. It seems pretty significantly worse than most of those I see online.

Gotcha, here's your next step then if you pursue the warranty: https://support.tclusa.com/contact-us?contact_query=Please%20enter%20your%20question

I did a warranty thing myself for banding. Let us know if they push back, I bet they will to start with.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Something Offal posted:

Gotcha, here's your next step then if you pursue the warranty: https://support.tclusa.com/contact-us?contact_query=Please%20enter%20your%20question

I did a warranty thing myself for banding. Let us know if they push back, I bet they will to start with.

Out of curiosity, what were your options if the manufacturer just decided to say your tv was performing as intended? I just hit that roadblock with Sony on some edge discoloration, and it took 3 weeks of talking with their customer service but they finally sent to me in writing that this was all within specifications for the television so I'm not sure where we go from here.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Hdhomerun and any Android TV box can do dvr

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I need help.

We got a 65" Samsung QLED 9F. We love the picture and everything, but it keeps recommending me shows on Fox News, which I have never put on ever. "Popular Now" it says. Furthermore, seeing those faces stresses me out every time I go to the home screen, which is having literal, measurable deleterious effects on my health.

Is there anyone who knows Samsung's system well enough to help me banish them?

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

PageMaster posted:

Out of curiosity, what were your options if the manufacturer just decided to say your tv was performing as intended? I just hit that roadblock with Sony on some edge discoloration, and it took 3 weeks of talking with their customer service but they finally sent to me in writing that this was all within specifications for the television so I'm not sure where we go from here.

My interactions were mostly through email after the initial call. It was standard pushback like you're describing, "all of our TVs have banding because of the manufacturing method used" blah blah. I got some photos that made it look pretty bad, it was significantly worse than most of the TVs posted, I insisted it was a QC failure and below the standards for TCL, then they caved after a couple back and forths.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Beachcomber posted:

I need help.

We got a 65" Samsung QLED 9F. We love the picture and everything, but it keeps recommending me shows on Fox News, which I have never put on ever. "Popular Now" it says. Furthermore, seeing those faces stresses me out every time I go to the home screen, which is having literal, measurable deleterious effects on my health.

Is there anyone who knows Samsung's system well enough to help me banish them?

Airgap your TV. Do not let it on the network. Use an ethernet cable every couple months for firmware updates. Use the TV tuner to watch channels, but for all other content like Netflix etc, use external boxes or game consoles.

Samsung does not let you opt out of any of its lovely "smart" services. Your only hope for getting it out of your life it to starve it of connectivity.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Fedule posted:

Airgap your TV. Do not let it on the network. Use an ethernet cable every couple months for firmware updates.

I wouldn't even bother with the firmware updates unless there's a good reason. If it's not connected to the internet you don't need to care about security updates, so I'd probably treat it basically the same way as we used to think about BIOS updates on PCs, which is to say unless an update is known to fix an issue that you're having just ignore 'em.

Check the update release notes every year or so to see if anything changed that you care about, or find an owners' thread for your model on AVSforum or similar and just let them tell you when an actually worthwhile firmware update happens.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 49S405 $251 shipped with code

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I am having an awful time deciding what I want to replace my Vizio 55" 1080p TV with. I recently bought a TCL Roku 43" TV that I'm very impressed with for my bedroom.

Not sure if I want to shell out a lot of money getting something like an OLED TV, a TCL Roku 65", or some kind of Samsung or Sony TV.

I'll mainly be playing PS4 or streaming Netflix/Amazon/Hulu.

Looking to spend less than $2,000 on something with an easy and smooth smart TV interface and good picture that will last me a while. Some of the TV's I've been looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-65R617-65-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B079NJMFL8/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=65R617&qid=1554660298&s=gateway&sr=8-1&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DRRYS1W/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...rd_i=1266092011

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...1266092011&th=1

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Mustang posted:

I am having an awful time deciding what I want to replace my Vizio 55" 1080p TV with. I recently bought a TCL Roku 43" TV that I'm very impressed with for my bedroom.

Not sure if I want to shell out a lot of money getting something like an OLED TV, a TCL Roku 65", or some kind of Samsung or Sony TV.

I'll mainly be playing PS4 or streaming Netflix/Amazon/Hulu.

Looking to spend less than $2,000 on something with an easy and smooth smart TV interface and good picture that will last me a while. Some of the TV's I've been looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-65R617-65-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B079NJMFL8/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=65R617&qid=1554660298&s=gateway&sr=8-1&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DRRYS1W/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...rd_i=1266092011

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...1266092011&th=1

I have the TCL and the OLED, even if it's not the most recent OLED model.

I think the picture on the TCL is very great, and for the price you pay, don't think that I'm missing out watching something on my TCL when my OLED is in the other room.

That said... since you are asking about smart apps, my one note will be that while I love the Roku interface on the TLC, it doesn't work that great compared to a Roku Ultra or Apple TV. I recently have tried using the TCL Roku interface for streaming TV services like Playstation Vue, and it is a worse experience compared to my premium streaming devices. Things like blindly fast forwarding through commercials rather than seeing the picture change as you fast forward. I don't think that's an issue with Netflix/Hulu where you mainly start a show and let it play, but that has been my main complaint so far. I like how you can select which input it defaults to every time you start up the TV. So we have DirecTV, so I just have it always default to the DirecTV. But you can also have it default to the Roku menu or even an app I think (not 100% sure about the latter). I am also not a fan of how I cannot program the sound buttons on the Roku TV remote to my sound bar. I believe that Amazon Model at least uses the Voice Remote that is not IR, so you don't have to point it directly at the TV every time (I have purchased a Wifi Direct Voice Remote recently because it bugged me so much).

I don't have many complaints about the built in apps on the OLED, but the interface is not nearly as nice. The only saving grace is that you can program apps to the number buttons. So things like... Press and hold down 6 to launch Plex. And this is all in addition to the Netflix and other app buttons on the remote. So there is no real need to even navigate through a menu to access apps because of the easy shortcuts. I can also program the remote to any soundbar without issue. Performance wise, I also think that the OLED apps works just as well as a Roku Ultra or other high end streaming device.

I've also played a PS4 on both TVs. I think they both look great in HDR and no issues with latency where I think one is better with the other. And with the TCL, I have zero concerns about burn in happening and leaving games paused on the screen.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I fixed my TV + receiver + optical connection + Plex sound lag issue. On the TV, I set the audio to only Dolby Digital 5.1 and the delay immediately fixed itself.

That’s one solution. There may be more to fiddle with by using HDMI and changing sound mode on TV, but at least this works. I don’t get DTS, but that’s okay, it’s not a strain on my Plex server.

edit: just kidding. It still happens sometimes, seemingly randomly. Cool.

crestfallen fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 9, 2019

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I've got a weird issue with my Sony x900f. If I use the hbogo app and try and watch something, it mutes the TV. I have to pull out my regular TV remote and just turn the volume up one notch for it to come back. This muting stays even if I change back to regular tv or whatever. Anyone have any ideas?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 65S403 $480 shipped - from BJ's, $10 membership required

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
2019 LG OLEDs appear to be in stock most places.

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

KS posted:

2019 LG OLEDs appear to be in stock most places.

soooo let's see those C8's go down in price now please

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They're already under 1k. They're not gonna get any lower than that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is the TCL 6 Series still the best bang for your buck? I convinced my roommate to buy the 55” a year ago and while I generally liked its performance (I disliked some quirks about the UI), 55” didn’t feel large enough. I’ve since moved out on my own and would like to step it up to 65”, but the model is a year old and I’m wondering if I shouldn’t wait for something newer and better. I’ll be (hopefully) consuming a bunch of HDR content via streaming and Plex.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So I need to return my TCL 55" to get it exchanged. In addition to the jailbar dirty screen effect, it's started completely glitching out on the interface and often just glitching to complete black. It was primarily just on the interface and not while actually watching a movie, then it would start to do that during the movie and only switching inputs would fix the problem (power cycling would not).

Well Electronics Express put up zero fuss and immediately gave me a pre-paid shipping label... only the box doesn't exist anymore. The way that TV was packaged, the packaging essentially fell apart while unpacking. All the styrofoam broke and the box, which had already been damaged by FedEx, was basically too torn to keep.

So my question is, does anybody have a good recommend on 3rd party tv shipping boxes?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If it were me I'd just pay FedEx/UPS to pack it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

If it were me I'd just pay FedEx/UPS to pack it.

It's $100 for their 55" TV box. Yeesh.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You could try asking either EE or TCL if they have an empty box they could send or you could pick up.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

You could try asking either EE or TCL if they have an empty box they could send or you could pick up.

I'll ask TCL. EE isn't currently responding to my request (well it's only been 24 hours I guess).

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Yep, this is the reason why I insisted on a brick/mortar retailer for my TV. A certain percentage of these kinds of failures are inevitable, plus add in my intolerance for small out of spec things that wouldn't bother the general public, and you end up with a relatively high probability of a return for any TV purchase.

That whole situation is going to be a pain in the dick, sorry man. I highly doubt TCL will send you a box, and EE probably won't either. If it were me I'd forego the retailer return, and instead go through the warranty process w/ TCL (who will take care of pickup, packing etc.) to save the $100 in carrier packing costs.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Something Offal posted:

Yep, this is the reason why I insisted on a brick/mortar retailer for my TV. A certain percentage of these kinds of failures are inevitable, plus add in my intolerance for small out of spec things that wouldn't bother the general public, and you end up with a relatively high probability of a return for any TV purchase.

That whole situation is going to be a pain in the dick, sorry man. I highly doubt TCL will send you a box, and EE probably won't either. If it were me I'd forego the retailer return, and instead go through the warranty process w/ TCL (who will take care of pickup, packing etc.) to save the $100 in carrier packing costs.

Yep that's prob what I'll just end up doing. Blech. I don't do mailorder TVs either except I specifically had $500 in Rakuten credit. And it *still* bit me in the rear end!

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Uhaul sells a tv moving box that has everything you need to ship it. Costs $20 if I remember correctly. They sell them at the uhaul corporate stores or I think you can get it shipped to your house.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

TheWevel posted:

Uhaul sells a tv moving box that has everything you need to ship it. Costs $20 if I remember correctly. They sell them at the uhaul corporate stores or I think you can get it shipped to your house.

https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Boxes/Electronics-Boxes/Flat-Panel-TV-Kit/?id=16343

Pretty good but the page notes it is not designed for shipping, only moving.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

TheWevel posted:

HomeDepot / Lowes usually has something similar with their packing supplies.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Something Offal posted:

https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Boxes/Electronics-Boxes/Flat-Panel-TV-Kit/?id=16343

Pretty good but the page notes it is not designed for shipping, only moving.

Yep I found some boxes that I thought were cool, but realized they were really only for moving.

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a 55" LED tv and I want to set it up so I can rotate it 90 degrees, does anyone here have a setup like that and can make some recommendations? For me, a stand with the ability to rotate the screen would be ideal, but all I have found searching online are wall mounts that can tilt slightly and some very pricey wall mounts that can actually rotate.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

puve posted:

I have a 55" LED tv and I want to set it up so I can rotate it 90 degrees, does anyone here have a setup like that and can make some recommendations? For me, a stand with the ability to rotate the screen would be ideal, but all I have found searching online are wall mounts that can tilt slightly and some very pricey wall mounts that can actually rotate.

90 degrees? You mean at a complete right angle, or 90 degrees of total motion for 45 degrees each way?

I did some quick searching, and the 90 degree swivel stands topped out at 43 inches. Beyond that size, they top out at 40 degrees. I think that as the TV gets bigger and the weight needs to be distributed, you are going to need the base to be much wider, which makes it impractical for normal use where the TV is very close to the wall.

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry for not being clearer, I meant rotate a full 90 so the screen goes from landscape to portrait orientation. It makes sense that a stand like that wouldn't be common based on what you said, sounds like it might be best to frame a stand myself and buy a rotating wall bracket to mount on it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So my 40” TV we use in our bedroom just poo poo the bed completely (there were signs). We’ve had it a while, and it was cheap, so I’m chalking it up to electronics go bad.

Needs:
Around 40”
2-3 HDMI Ports and optical out for Sonos
Basically, “at least good, maybe great, doesn’t have to be mind blowing.”

It essentially has almost exclusively an Apple TV plugged up to it, and sometimes a Nintendo switch. It’s a non-4K Apple TV, so while I’m ok with 4K for future proofing, I don’t necessarily need 4K.

My other TV is ironically an LG that has had no issues, but I try to avoid LG products at this point.

This is Wire cutters recommendation for what I’m looking for, and the main concern I have is simply I don’t recognize the brand.

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55S517-55-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B07987KQBN

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TCL is always recommended here, way above the traditional stuff like Samsung.

When I moved to the US, I also found it weird that everyone was into brands that didn’t exist back home. That never used to be a good sign!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

TCL is always recommended here, way above the traditional stuff like Samsung.

When I moved to the US, I also found it weird that everyone was into brands that didn’t exist back home. That never used to be a good sign!

Nice. I’ll likely just order the 43” TCL and call it a day.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

local retailer just sent me an email telling me the Samsung 8k TVs are here and its the fuuuuuutuuuure buy one NOW they definitely wont drop 30% in price in 3 months and you're missing out on all these extra pixels (that none of your content actually has)

think i will stick with my 3 month old B8 for now.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I work in video production doing commercials. We just shipped our first 4K commercial the other day... get this 8K bullshit out of here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
So Game of Thones is dark as poo poo. Is that due to my 10 year old Samsung 1080p TV, or is it the way they film it?